Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,610,605 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Thank you PJSinger for filling in for me last week!

Now that things are back on track for me, at least for today, let's get down to business...

Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?"

If so, have you gotten out to see any of the current meteor showers?

Did you see the recent "supermoon?"

Just for Fun:
Are there any cartoon shows that you enjoy as an adult?

And/or are there any newspaper comic strips or funny websites you like to read/visit that are geared toward a "younger" audience?

Bonus Question:
What is one of your favorite tips, tricks, or "lifehacks," that you use as a substitute when the usual item/method isn't possible?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1971 Paul and Linda McCartney release "Back Seat of My Car"
Birthday: 1899 Alfred Hitchcock
Politics/Public Affairs: 1961 Construction on Berlin Wall begins in East Germany
Pop Culture: 2012 The editor-in-chief of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine and leader of the 1960's sexual revolution, Helen Gurley Brown, dies at age 90 in New York City
Science/Technology: 1642 Christiaan Huygens discovers Martian south polar cap
Sports: 1991 Michael Ray Barrowman swims world record 200m breaststroke (2:10.60)

Today’s Word:
capitulate
Pronunciation: (kuh-PICH-uh-layt)
Meaning: verb intr.: To cease resisting; surrender.
Etymology: From Latin capitulare (to draw up under headings [the articles of agreement]), from capitulum (little head, chapter), from caput (head). Ultimately from the Indo-European root kaput- (head), also the origin of head, captain, chef, chapter, cadet, cattle, chattel, achieve, biceps, mischief, and occiput, (but not of kaput). Earliest documented use: 1537.
Today is:
International Lefthander's Day
National Filet Mignon Day (US)

Quote of the Day:
"Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms." ~ Alfred Hitchcock ~

Have a good one everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,338,170 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?"
Not really, though astronomy always has fascinated and intrigued me, visually & conceptually.
Alas, no-and there are too many trees nearby to be able to see much of sky from home.
Sorta'-from indoors, as I rarely go out after dark.

Just for Fun:
King of the Hill was much better series than I ever expected it to be.
Guilty pleasure: Squidbillies.

And/or are there any newspaper comic strips or funny websites you like to read/visit that are geared toward a "younger" audience?
Probably not, though the target demographic for whichever sites I visit isn't necessarily known to me.

Bonus Question:
What is one of your favorite tips, tricks, or "lifehacks," that you use as a substitute when the usual item/method isn't possible?
Well, it's not exactly "handy" or simpler than the alternative, but it works for me:
when I haven't been able to find a tolerable and cheap engagement calendar,
I've made my own, using scrap paper, a three-hole-punch, and string.

Thanks for the Qs, PatsCats.
Hope everyone here has a comfortable Wednesday.

Last edited by cloven; 08-13-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 AM

51,696 posts, read 15,640,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Now that things are back on track for me, at least for today, let's get down to business...

Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?" Not really.

If so, have you gotten out to see any of the current meteor showers? Nope.

Did you see the recent "supermoon?" Sort of.

Just for Fun:
Are there any cartoon shows that you enjoy as an adult? No.

And/or are there any newspaper comic strips or funny websites you like to read/visit that are geared toward a "younger" audience? No.

Bonus Question:
What is one of your favorite tips, tricks, or "lifehacks," that you use as a substitute when the usual item/method isn't possible? My brain is foggy this morning...didn't sleep well and can't think of anything at the moment.

Today in History:
Politics/Public Affairs: 1961 Construction on Berlin Wall begins in East Germany
Pop Culture: 2012 The editor-in-chief of 'Cosmopolitan' magazine and leader of the 1960's sexual revolution, Helen Gurley Brown, dies at age 90 in New York City
Sports: 1991 Michael Ray Barrowman swims world record 200m breaststroke (2:10.60)

Today’s Word:
capitulate
Etymology: From Latin capitulare (to draw up under headings [the articles of agreement]), from capitulum (little head, chapter), from caput (head). Ultimately from the Indo-European root kaput- (head), also the origin of head, captain, chef, chapter, cadet, cattle, chattel, achieve, biceps, mischief, and occiput, (but not of kaput). Earliest documented use: 1537.

Today Is:
International Lefthander's Day I'm a lefty.

Quote of the Day:
"Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms." ~ Alfred Hitchcock ~

Be careful on the roads this morning, especially in the areas that got hit with alot of rain and flooding.

Last edited by Lucky Lady123; 08-13-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 07:55 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,865,736 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?"
I am!

Have not. I thought about going out last night to watch, but it was raining.

Did you see the recent "supermoon?" Sure did.

Just for Fun:
Are there any cartoon shows that you enjoy as an adult? Seldom watch tv, so no. My dad used to watch cartoon shows and laugh and laugh. One he liked was The Roadrunner.

And/or are there any newspaper comic strips or funny websites you like to visit that are geared toward a "younger" audience? No

Bonus Question:
What is one of your favorite tips, tricks, or "lifehacks," that you use as a substitute when the usual item/method isn't possible? Mosquitoes love my oldest granddaughter, and all the bites swell... poor girl. At a recent outdoor party she was playing by the woods and came back covered with bites. I sat her down in the grass, got some plantain, a common weed, crushed the leaves and rubbed it onto the bites. We also put baking soda and water on each one. She hopped up and ran off to play, no longer itching. Only three bites became swollen.

Quote of the Day:
"Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms." ~ Alfred Hitchcock ~ Have you ever watched old silent movies where someone's eyes are focused on & their expressions are overly emphasized to convey emotion?
I remember once at school having to talk to the kids about some behaviors, while thinking it was really quite funny. I did pretty well with it, or so I thought, until they said, "You aren't really mad. Your eyes are twinkling!"

Off to babysit for this little girl and her brother for a bit. With the rain we won't be outside, so no bug bites today! Enjoy your day, all!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,972,740 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?"
I have been known to look up at the stars. Where I live there are lots of really tall trees which makes stargazing hard.

I have not

I sorta saw it thru the trees.

Just for Fun:
It is getting harder and harder to find the cartoons I like. Cartoons like Bugs Bunny, Popey, and Yogi Bear seem to be long gone even from the reruns. I can still find reruns of Tom and Jerry but even those have been reduced from 2 hours a day to just 30 minutes.

Not any more.

Bonus Question:

If you do something stupid and you boss asks you what happened just tell them "A band of gypsies made you do it."

Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 AM

7,320 posts, read 5,442,985 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?" sometimes, yes

If so, have you gotten out to see any of the current meteor showers? no

Did you see the recent "supermoon?" yes, this past weekend

Just for Fun:
Are there any cartoon shows that you enjoy as an adult? I love the Shrek movies and just saw Frozen which I thought was cute.

And/or are there any newspaper comic strips or funny websites you like to read/visit that are geared toward a "younger" audience? Garfield

Bonus Question:
What is one of your favorite tips, tricks, or "lifehacks," that you use as a substitute when the usual item/method isn't possible? Can't think of any right now.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 AM

37,746 posts, read 40,817,184 times

Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?"
No, but some of my photography buddies do that kind of photography.

Did you see the recent "supermoon?" no

Just for Fun:
Currently, just South Park.

And/or are there any newspaper comic strips or funny websites you like to read/visit that are geared toward a "younger" audience? no

Bonus Question:

I keep salad tongs in my laundry room to reach things in my top-loading washing machine.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:31 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,499,166 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?"
no, I wish I was

Not yet

Yes, it was very nice!
Just for Fun:

pinky and the brain!

garfield!

Bonus Question:
count to 100 and get back to work!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
capitulate
Today is:

Quote of the Day:

Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,772,775 times

Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?"
Yes I will at times do my stargazing ,,,,,,,,,,,, however just think about those out there who are staring back at us!

Did you see the recent "supermoon?" no

Just for Fun:
no

And/or are there any newspaper comic strips or funny websites you like to read/visit that are geared toward a "younger" audience? no

Bonus Question:

Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 AM

288 posts, read 203,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Are you a "stargazer?"
Only if I am outside. That has always been my hard & fast rule.

No it didn't cool off enough @ night for me to sit & watch comfortably.

I went to look for it but when I saw it, it looked the same as always. I thought it would look more like a harvest moon, you know bigger & yellower(more yellow?)

Just for Fun:
Scooby Doo, I think I have all of his movies. (the antimated ones)

No

Bonus Question:
KISS

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
capitulate
Today is:

Quote of the Day:

I give up I don't think I understand the meaning of todays word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics