Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:33 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Me:

I would take a week (or longer) off from work: if my boss threatened to fire me......I would simply smile and say TYVM!

Needless to say: get in touch with an investor immediately.

Pay off all of my bills

Move to a locale for security reasons (i know, that would suck but still )

Needless to say: I would definitely want to fly under the radar so I may just 'disappear'.

Yeah, wouldn't it be great to just deal with an unreasonable boss and pull out some airline tickets and say "blow off"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:00 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
If the sum of the total winnings is enough to build a spaceship, then I'd get one built. Then find a cute but intelligent, wild and crazy girl to come with me so we could together look for intelligence in space (since there is none on this planet) and also look for a suitable planet to live on.

On a more serious note, I'd not tell a soul that I won anything, go on with my life like nothing've happpened.
Transfer all the $$ quickly and quitely to an offshore account where Uncle Sam would no longer be able to mess with.
Buy a house or two somewhere in the States but ultimately buy a few house in different parts of the world such as Europe, New Zealand and Far East and may be even in South America.

Get on my bike and travel first the States and then the rest of the world without a single worry in my head...I'd have to do this also to avoid getting whacked by the hitman that my mom would likely to hire and send after me once she found out that I won the jackpot and didn't tell her.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:35 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,238 times
I'd change my phone numbers before even collecting the money. What money I decided to give away, I'd do so only anonymously. I'd be doing so to help others, not because I want to be thanked or publicly lauded for it. I'd also have a lawyer and/or financial advisor tell me how to set it all up. I would make my winnings last for the rest of my life. I'm already a bit of a loner and see no reason to tell anyone how or where I got my money.

I don't understand the point of giving money to strangers who have no chance of doing anything productive with it. Give some random homeless person $1000 and it will go straight to booze and junk food, when it should go to their personal appearance so they can go to a job interview. Handing money to poor people has never, ever fixed their real problems. Since I'm already very happy with my life, winning the lotto would just be icing on the cake and fun money. But it wouldn't cure any problem I already have other than short term bills.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:59 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I'd change my phone numbers before even collecting the money. What money I decided to give away, I'd do so only anonymously. I'd be doing so to help others, not because I want to be thanked or publicly lauded for it. I'd also have a lawyer and/or financial advisor tell me how to set it all up. I would make my winnings last for the rest of my life. I'm already a bit of a loner and see no reason to tell anyone how or where I got my money.

I don't understand the point of giving money to strangers who have no chance of doing anything productive with it. Give some random homeless person $1000 and it will go straight to booze and junk food, when it should go to their personal appearance so they can go to a job interview. Handing money to poor people has never, ever fixed their real problems. Since I'm already very happy with my life, winning the lotto would just be icing on the cake and fun money. But it wouldn't cure any problem I already have other than short term bills.
Yes, I wouldn't give random homeless strangers $1,000. My other post mentioned finding deserving (yes it's a judgement) people and helping them with a problem that only $$$ can help.

My first REAL job when I moved to L.A. at 22 was working for a famous celebrity. Very famous guy. The maid, whom I became friends with told me that she and the butler (yep, a butler) would run to the mail box every day to filter out the requests for help because Mr. Blank would give all his money away if nobody watched him. I learned a lot at that silly job.

My fav story was when Mr. Blank was reading a newspaper article about a little girl in Atlanta that had been raped savagely and blinded. He set up an education account for her and helped her family out. I still tear up thinking about this. Money can be such a valuable thing and I think people waste it on silliness alot in this country.

The other wonderful thing (that I bother to write about...he did hundreds of wonderful things) he did was buy a woman a HUGE TV and medical bed. I ordered the stuff and kept in contact with her. Her son wrote to Mr. Blank in a moment of weakness. The mom had diabetes and had worked very hard all her life, had 9 kids and put them through jr. college/univ. and was a huge fan. That was one of the letters the maid didn't get to.

I learned about charity through working for a very rich, lucky guy.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,482,827 times
Buy a bigger house and an MLS team.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 17,356 times
I'd tell no one. Well, my finace, but other than that i think i will live for a while without telling anyone i won. First, I'd set up a team of people to help me invest and receive my winnings as soon as possible in the best way possible. To make money of the winnings is a goal. After coordinating what goes where, I will not change my behavior, maybe I'd be spending money a little more freely on drinks and food, but no hundred year old bottles of anything. My fiance and i would buy our dream house : the expensive house in the city with a garage near the river (I think its three million...when people ask i will say we won a million in *some lottery* and have a lease on the place). We'd move there, set up the place. I'd buy myself a nice VW, he'd finally have a chance to fix up his 300zx. We'd finish our college degrees; quit all the jobs though. Soon as the moving is finished, we can finally have the wedding we want: in the city, all the food and drinks and music our friends want...no planning out skimping on anything, just a really nice, relaxed, fun, full of music and drinking day. No diamond lanterns, rare flowers from lala land and all that crap, just good times. We'd go on a great honey moon to Germany.

If people wonder about the money, I'd say we did a good job investing the million winnings.

Come back from honeymoon and live our life, investing, enjoying life, going places we always wanted to go. I'd open a gallery for my paintings/coffee shop with the best coffee you've ever had, meanwhile spending my time teaching an art class or two at college. He'd either do nothing or become the engineer he wants to be.

Personally, I would set up an account for my brother for 250 000, which he will only receive when he finishes his degree and gets a decent job in his field (which will give him a nice income of six figures on his own). I'd pay off my parent's house and cars and give them a nice retirement chunk. My fiance would give nothing to his useless brothers, instead we would pay for their college education of any approved choice (plus books and travel) so they can get the right kind of jobs. Then let them drop out of our life.

Although i love my friends dearly and would want to share my wealth with them all, I wouldn't. They can survive well on their own and those who can't must learn how to do so. Under a contract to never be able to reveal how she received the money, I would help my one great friend with a baby who is struggling to get back to college while working two jobs wholely in debt and a dead beat childs father. I'd help her by paying for her college education, books, and give her a relatively small but good amount of money so the baby and her aren't struggling while she's in school.

If I really do end up with so much money that i can freely give a few hundred thousand here and there, i would randomly give people the money. People who really need it, good people...I'd help people with medical bills that the insurance companies refuse to pay when they should (especially when it comes to children). And my friends would get a nice christmas present of lots of cash.

I just want a nice comfortable life where we don't need to struggle with bills. Our dream life of the house near the river in old city and our nice but not extravagant cars, gallery and coffee shop for me while he'd still probably stay an engineer, a wedding that doesn't have to be cut in size because of money and prolonged for another four years though we've been engaged for more than a year and a half already. When you start with nothing its hard to get anywhere in life.

I hope I win I want this life so bad, i dream about it all the time

Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devchonka View Post
I'd tell no one. Well, my finace, but other than that i think i will live for a while without telling anyone i won. First, I'd set up a team of people to help me invest and receive my winnings as soon as possible in the best way possible. To make money of the winnings is a goal. After coordinating what goes where, I will not change my behavior, maybe I'd be spending money a little more freely on drinks and food, but no hundred year old bottles of anything. My fiance and i would buy our dream house : the expensive house in the city with a garage near the river (I think its three million...when people ask i will say we won a million in *some lottery* and have a lease on the place). We'd move there, set up the place. I'd buy myself a nice VW, he'd finally have a chance to fix up his 300zx. We'd finish our college degrees; quit all the jobs though. Soon as the moving is finished, we can finally have the wedding we want: in the city, all the food and drinks and music our friends want...no planning out skimping on anything, just a really nice, relaxed, fun, full of music and drinking day. No diamond lanterns, rare flowers from lala land and all that crap, just good times. We'd go on a great honey moon to Germany.

If people wonder about the money, I'd say we did a good job investing the million winnings.

Come back from honeymoon and live our life, investing, enjoying life, going places we always wanted to go. I'd open a gallery for my paintings/coffee shop with the best coffee you've ever had, meanwhile spending my time teaching an art class or two at college. He'd either do nothing or become the engineer he wants to be.

Personally, I would set up an account for my brother for 250 000, which he will only receive when he finishes his degree and gets a decent job in his field (which will give him a nice income of six figures on his own). I'd pay off my parent's house and cars and give them a nice retirement chunk. My fiance would give nothing to his useless brothers, instead we would pay for their college education of any approved choice (plus books and travel) so they can get the right kind of jobs. Then let them drop out of our life.

Although i love my friends dearly and would want to share my wealth with them all, I wouldn't. They can survive well on their own and those who can't must learn how to do so. Under a contract to never be able to reveal how she received the money, I would help my one great friend with a baby who is struggling to get back to college while working two jobs wholely in debt and a dead beat childs father. I'd help her by paying for her college education, books, and give her a relatively small but good amount of money so the baby and her aren't struggling while she's in school.

If I really do end up with so much money that i can freely give a few hundred thousand here and there, i would randomly give people the money. People who really need it, good people...I'd help people with medical bills that the insurance companies refuse to pay when they should (especially when it comes to children). And my friends would get a nice christmas present of lots of cash.

I just want a nice comfortable life where we don't need to struggle with bills. Our dream life of the house near the river in old city and our nice but not extravagant cars, gallery and coffee shop for me while he'd still probably stay an engineer, a wedding that doesn't have to be cut in size because of money and prolonged for another four years though we've been engaged for more than a year and a half already. When you start with nothing its hard to get anywhere in life.

I hope I win I want this life so bad, i dream about it all the time
May I ask you a question that has always been on my mind? Why are you waiting to get married because of $$$? I hear this a lot and don't get it. If I wanted to get married and invite a lot of people and didn't have money, I would have it in a park and ask everyone to bring food/drink instead of wedding presents. You could have 300 people and it would cost $0.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:35 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,076,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
May I ask you a question that has always been on my mind? Why are you waiting to get married because of $$$? I hear this a lot and don't get it. If I wanted to get married and invite a lot of people and didn't have money, I would have it in a park and ask everyone to bring food/drink instead of wedding presents. You could have 300 people and it would cost $0.
I wonder this too, you would instantly have a 2 income salary and a nice tax cut. You don't have to have children just because you get married, it's just about commitment. (Although this is truly none of my biz, and I understand if you decline to answer.)

To Rick Lee: I would give a million bucks to a homeless family. If it was a huge powerball winning I would give out 5 mil at 1 mil a piece. I've worked with a lot of homeless families and seen them get back on their feet with very little help and lead a normal life after that. Some still manage to keep their kids in school while they are sleeping in a car. Not all homeless people are mentally ill and roaming around dunk and whinning. A lot are families hit with the perfect storm, and not very good at doing the bills and have no family back up. They get taught a little economics and get a little $$, and off they go to a lower middle class exsitance. A little education and they are the nurse you see when your in the hospital or doc's office. Moving up to middle class. I think you would be surprised who these people are.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,582 times
I don't know what I'd do. I'd buy a new place, that's for sure, but I don't know where. If I stayed in Phoenix, I'd get a spot in Encanto. Otherwise, I'd get out to San Francisco or Seattle, buy a little place, and spend the rest of my days reading.

I'm sure I'd get an adviser and invest a big chunk of the money. Mostly, I'd relax. And try not to tell anyone.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,724 times
I would catch the first plane to a tropical island and lay on the beach and bask in the peace and quiet knowing that once i hand in that ticket my life will never be quiet again Then come back and take care of everyone that has taken care of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics