Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I have my paranoia's, but one of the bigger ones in being hit by a falling object, something flies off a balcony in a gust of wind, someone laughingly drops some object from a high-rise balcony, while walking around a big city, a coconut falls from a palm tree, and now I see a picture of the crater created by this small meteorite leaving a hole 39 feet in radius, 16 feet deep. Fortunately, it fell in a wooded area near Managua's Airport! And? Mind you, this was a small meteorite!

But who's to know, yet, if there might have been some homeless people sleeping there when it happened, or some animals?

When I visit NYC, I crazily think of wearing a hard-hat, while visiting, I'm just that paranoid of something falling on my head from one of those tall buildings. Sheesh! It could even be a human being!

One time, long ago, on a clear blue sky day, I was walking down Madison Avenue, with a friend, and got drenched, including my friend! I looked up and Not a cloud in the sky! Weird! Who knows! Maybe someone decided to have a good laugh and poured a pail of water out of a high rise window! As if an incident like that quelled my paranoia!

How about you? Ever been struck by a falling object? Or known of someone who has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 02:21 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Truth is, one time, many years ago, I was near the top of an extension ladder while painting the exterior of a home in Palm Beach, Fl.. I had the ladder leaning up against a tall, high, white painted brick chimney while I was brushing out an area near the roof gutter.
Well, there I was, alone and enjoying myself when suddenly, very suddenly, something hurled through the air right just feet above me....it hit the chimney stack and then fell, hitting me in the face...from where it fell to the ground by the driveway...from where it skittered off into the shrubs.

I saw it well as it went from driveway to shrubs....it was a cuckoo bird.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:40 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
I always keep an eye open for things falling while around building, you never know when someone is working up top.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:43 AM

After a trip to NYC in 2009, I opened up a thread on the NYC forum, wondering if people living there ever fear getting hit by falling objects. Interesting! For this paranoiac, I shouldn't have asked!

"An window air-conditioning unit fell from an apartment building one time?" Nope! My hard-hat wouldn't have done me much good if I had become a victim of something like that! That would have pushed my head down into my stomach!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:41 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,670,577 times
This happened last Thur
Gargoyle Kills Woman: Statute Falls On Pedestrian In Freakish Accident

Do other cities have pieces fall off of buildings? It's unusual that someone is killed but things seem to fall off of buildings in Chicago on a regular basis.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Last year, during that super-frigid winter, I read enough articles about icicles falling from skyscrapers in NYC and Chicago, pictures of them roping off areas around the buildings!

A big icicle coming straight down from one of those buildings! Right on top of your head!

Question is, how much damage would there be? Could one of those crack your head open?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:27 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Back in the late 1980s the UK was hit by an extremely violent storm, described at the time as a hurricane.

I didn't know my wife at that time but later we compared notes on what happened that day.

I was fourth in line of a group of cars travelling through a wooded area. The traffic stopped because up ahead there was a tree down.

It had fallen on a car and killed the driver.

Meanwhile my now wife was walking back to her office along a path across an open lawn when she heard a shout and instinctively dived to one side.

The wind vane, with a large pointed top, had blown off the top of the office block and come down like a javelin, missing her by only a few feet.

Over twenty people died during that storm;

Great Storm of 1987 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3woaPZowmM

Old 09-09-2014, 12:15 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
I was once hit by a falling leaf... not overly scary, apart from the loud sonic boom.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:15 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
The meteor hit about 1,000 feet (300 meters) from the Camino Real Hotel. That's pretty close!

Meteorite makes big crater in Nicaragua - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics