U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 11:08 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,224,402 times

Advertisements

Can you share your stories about the times you've moved or started new phases of your life.....due to job, life changing event....OR just wanted to start over for whatever reason...maybe you just wanted/needed a change.

It could be anything big or small -- moving for a job or retirement.....or staying put and selling everything you own ---- or just cutting your hair. (I've always loved hearing hair cut stories. Go figure)

I ask because I noticed that I've used the very few times in my life that I've moved -- I've used those times sort of "start fresh."

-- When I moved to a new city for a new job....I took just my clothes and TVs -- that's it. I bought EVERYTHING else new. It was a new job, new city, new apartment -- truly a clean break. And it felt GOOD!

-- Seven years later when I bought a house. It was 'just' a new lifestyle (same job), but I moved from the apartment to a house in the suburbs, and I felt the same way.

It wasn't so much that I consciously "re-invented myself" -- BUT the new people and experiences -- were new to me and just different.

I'm now looking forward to retirement in 10 years (although I realize anything can happen in that time) -- and I'm already realizing, I really won't take much from this house with me when I move back to the family home I grew up in. I LIKE what I've put together here, but looking around I see that I just won't need it in my next phase of living. The furniture won't fit, the tchotckas I won't need, and I don't really WANT to take any of it with me. Sort of like these things are for THIS phase, but not needed in the next.

What are your stories of 'starting fresh" -- in big or small ways? And what if anything did you take with you into your 'next phase?'
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 5,588,576 times
I started fresh a couple of years ago, when I left my ex. He didn't let me take anything except a suitcase of clothes for me and my daughter and her cot plus a few toys so everything else I had to get myself (through generous people giving things away and some help from the welfare office). I figured I'd make it a really fresh start and went to get a haircut and got a completely new hairstyle, new clothes I bought in a different style from before. Felt really good to have that fresh start to my new life.

I suppose I also had a fresh start when I moved to Finland. I moved with just a suitcase of clothes (I never intended to stay longer than a year) and so everything I own (don't have the same suitcase any more, or any of those clothes) is new and not from my old life (with the exception of a few books and CDs)

Old 09-24-2014, 07:09 PM

25,669 posts, read 24,304,536 times
Since childhood, moving was always something not unusual. My dads job always transferred us all over the place, including overseas, for 2 years or longer, at a time. My adult hood too, always moving, whether out of stupidity for somebody or for a job, or because I thought I was going to finally settle and be happy. None of that has come true. I miss the Midwest very much, loved it there and always wanted to spend the rest of my life there. Wish I was still there.
Natsku, when I left my husband in Calif, almost 20 years ago now, I too, left him with everything, all the bank cards, money, house, everything except my kids and our personal belongings. The only card I took was the one in my name, my credit. Started fresh, with donated clothes, furniture, but I was more focused on getting the kids the things they needed than anything else. Worked 2 jobs at some point.
Ironic this topic came up, I just recently moved to TX from WI...and yes, I miss it.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 PM

23,894 posts, read 22,820,755 times
I have started over so many times I have forgotten most of them..

Old 09-25-2014, 06:04 AM

25,669 posts, read 24,304,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I have started over so many times I have forgotten most of them..
Good to know Im not the only one~~~

Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,767,982 times
I've had to start over many times in my life and what seemed like a sorry situation eventually turned into great and new opportunities.

One that sticks out clearly, because we laugh about the insanity of it, was one weekend when I lost EVERYTHING - in ONE weekend. I lost my job I loved and did for 10 years. I came home and got a phone call from my boyfriend of three years and he broke up with me over the phone. I then went out to mow the front yard and the lawn mower literally blew up - fire and smoke. Still calm I needed to go somewhere and I remember clearly getting behind the city bus in a lane because it was slow and I wouldn't clog up traffic looking for the address and building. Well, that bus stopped and as I was looking toward a building I felt this bump and heard a crunching sound. The bus stopped, but I didn't and hit it while excellerating. It was a Mazda RX 7 and it had a long front end on it - thank god! Because that front end crunched all the way up to my knees and the bus rear end was in my lap. I actually got out of the car without one scratch or broken bone on me. I was extremely lucky. I remember coming home. I was spent and sat at my kitchen table and put my feet up and just looked out the window watching the squirrels chase the chipmunks around the yard and started laughing, just laughing and said to myself, well, nothing like starting over with a completely clean slate.

I got another job which was similar to the one I lost but less than half the work and better benefits, more time off and less hours which gave me the opportunity to invest more time into personal interests like learning about plants and starting a garden, more activities with friends and going to community events I never had time for before.

I got a dog. It was the best thing I ever did and a year later I got her a playmate. Well, my first one got hit by a Best Buy delivery truck at a year old and they just left her in the street for dead. Her playmate dog was devastated. She went from room to room to room looking for her dog and kept coming back to the bedroom door looking at me like, "Where is she." That poor dog was never the same afterward. Again, in the middle of this, my job was eliminated and I went through a bad break-up. I went and got another dog for the dog and for myself - having something fresh and new. The original dog never took to her and I felt bad because the new dog really needed a playmate. Instead of getting yet another dog, I had the time and decided to become a foster for adoptable rescue dogs. All that tragedy led to something I consider to this day the most fulfilling thing I have ever done in my life. The new dog, Nina, loved it. She played with every dog I took in. Sometimes I'd get a whole litter of puppies and she'd lay on the floor and they'd crawl all over her. She was happy and I was doing a good thing for the dog and the community. It gave me the opportunity to spend one on one time with my devastated dog. There was nothing better in the world than when I would watch a person pick up their new dog or puppy, which would otherwise have been euthanized and show so much joy. Again, a bad situation turned out giving me the opportunity for something better.

My health took a horrible turn unexpectedly and I almost died, leaving me unable to work, which about killed me because I love working and being productive and challenged. This, however afforded me the opportunity to devote more time to my artwork (I had a minor in fine art) and became so dedicated to it, it was accepted for juried art fairs and I eventually started to sell more and more. I am now working on getting a scholarship to go back to art school and in doing so I will have 'student status' which will allow me to work for the University. I worked for the University's Broadcast Services Department when I went to college and the man I worked for was the greatest person I ever worked with. I never forgot him and looked him up and we talked and he would welcome having me come back if I went back to school even taking one class. Both of these areas are a great passion of mine I never had the chance to pursue and now, in the light of what was a bad situation, I now can.

As they say, when the lord shuts a window he opens another. If I detailed what actually happened in those situations above you'd have thought I'd be in an asylum by now looking for an open window to jump out of rather than looking at new opportunities.

I have to say OP I'm with you on one of your points. I have always said if I ever moved I would leave everything in the house - just my personal belongings such as my clothes and my art supplies. Just leave it and shut the door.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:20 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,224,402 times
I've always admired people who start anew.

In my 20s, I had an acquaintance who would work just to save enough money to move somewhere else. Go there, get a job, work there a while and when either that job ended or she felt like it -- just come back home. Work some more to save up for the next "move" or "adventure" or "relocation" -- or whatever she called it. She'd just move to a place because the thought she wanted to live there and see what it was like. She did that at least three times.

I thought that was little 'nomad-like.' But every time I saw her she was happy.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 AM

30,336 posts, read 27,795,867 times
Isn’t life full of start-overs,,,, however it’s usually just one simple end without a do-over………….

Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 AM

23,894 posts, read 22,820,755 times
Starting over is a learning curve that last your entire life and along that path you find treasures...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuO3FhA3PWc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics