Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:37 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
fudgies/flatlanders: the tourists who come up to vacation in northern Michigan.
Now that's a new one for me, but I do know you can't be a tourist up there without stopping in one of the fudge shops and picking out several flavors to bring home. It is awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 06:40 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
Ok here is one I noticed when I moved south...

A neighbor had stopped by and asked "d'yeet, want to go "git" some supper right quick"...(I guess she meant lunch and soon! Since it was only 12:00) anyways I suggested that we go get a grinder. She started laughing and asked what I was gonna grind up! I looked at her and said "a grinder...you know... grinder, sub, hoagie, hero." She was so tickled by that. Now eveytime we go for lunch she suggests a grinder!

Old 11-02-2006, 07:24 AM

169 posts, read 678,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
And I think just about everyone in Texas says fix'n.

Hehe I guess I was ready to move to Texas! My Grandparents always said they were fix'n to do this and that so I've always said it. I fit right in when I moved down lol. I also say "right quick" sometimes too but that's another one I got from my Grandparents.

In the Kansas City area we called a carbonated beverage "pop". Here in Galveston everyone refers to it as "soda". In KC we said "cart" or "shopping cart". Alot of people here call them "buggies".

One thing I'll never get used to here is the saying "all y'all". It sounds a bit repetitive but alot of people say it. "All y'all need to get out the way" Lol, just sounds odd to me.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:32 AM

47 posts, read 239,601 times
Smile cool

I like that story, I'm in virginia and call the 12 pm meal dinner if its a cooked meal and lunch if its like a sub or other sandwich type quick meal. I also use dinner or supper for the last meal of the day. We try to have that when the kids come in from school at 4. That way kitchen is done early and then if you get hungry, snack in the evening. Seems like we have more quality time together then.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:50 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram View Post
I like that story, I'm in virginia and call the 12 pm meal dinner if its a cooked meal and lunch if its like a sub or other sandwich type quick meal. I also use dinner or supper for the last meal of the day. We try to have that when the kids come in from school at 4. That way kitchen is done early and then if you get hungry, snack in the evening. Seems like we have more quality time together then.
I was wondering why some people call the noon meal dinner. It's always been lunch for me no matter was served and supper for the evening meal.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:56 AM

2,224 posts, read 772,298 times
Here, it's breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No supper.

Flapjacks or pancakes? Hot dogs or weiners? Counter or drainboard? Cabinet or cupboard?

Old 11-02-2006, 08:09 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
Here, it's breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No supper.

Flapjacks or pancakes? Hot dogs or weiners? Counter or drainboard? Cabinet or cupboard?
here it's pancakes, hotdogs, counter, cabinet

Old 11-02-2006, 09:16 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Pixie- I know ALL those types you speak of! But, that was in the 80's!!!
Are you stuck in the 80's or what?!
I mean, people aren't actually like that anymore - unless your area (what I say for town, neighborhood, community) is!!!

Well, I was just describing the terminology however, yes, we still use those words and unfortunately some of the people do still look the same (plus, the styles are coming back...god help us)

Old 11-02-2006, 10:08 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,909 times
Philly here. My family doesn't have a bathroom (although some people have a powder room where they go take a powder). We have a little girls' room or little boys' room. Or we go meet a man about a horse. We eat lunchmeat, not cold cuts or deli. And we have a lunchmeat called Lebanon boloney. But my friend's family calls it summer boloney. And my brother doesn't have a sofa or couch. He has a counch.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
(plus, the styles are coming back...god help us)
I hear ya! Loved it when my granddaughter and nieces started wearing the same styles I did when I was in school, but the 80s....say it ain't so! Those styles just didn't look good on someone only 5'3". I was so happy when they left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics