Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 04:42 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,044,104 times

Advertisements

Morning, y’all
From what I’ve been reading a lot of you got slammed with some winter weather
and more on the way. Hard to believe it’s already that time of the year again.

So grab a hot toddy and snuggle in for. . . .

Today's Questions:
Let’s talk comfort food.

What’s your favorite thing to eat on a cold day?

How about when you’re feeling blue. Is there a special food that always makes you feel a
bit better?

Do you have a ‘signature dish’ that you’re known for?

Bonus Questions:
Our Bonus Questions were sent by our hard-working City Data correspondent in Central Arizona, who
was on the job working on them. . . 24x1 or was it 1x24?

Feel free to add details to any of the answers.

Job interviews, we've all done them and/or been in them. If you were ready to go in for an interview for
a job that you really, really, absolutely wanted - would you feel calm, nervous, or somewhere in between?

Have you ever done or been in a telephone interview?

Let's switch sides for a minute - If you were being interviewed, what would be one or two things that
would turn you off about the interviewer(s)?

Have you ever been in an interview that you thought didn't go too well, but you were hired?

Today in History:

1777 - Articles of Confederation adopted by Continental Congress
1939 - Social Security Administration approves 1st unemployment check
1940 - New York Midtown tunnel linking Manhattan and Queens opens to traffic
1969 - Wendy's Hamburgers opens
1971 - Intel advertises 4004-processor
1990 - President Bush signs Clear Air Act of 1990
1995 - Space shuttle Atlantis docks with orbiting Russian space station Mir
2011 - New York's Police Department clears Occupy Wall Street protesters from Zucotti Park, the public
space they have occupied to stage their protest

Quote of the Day:

On that note, have a great weekend and

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 04:43 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
from what i’ve been reading a lot of you got slammed with some winter weather

so grab a hot toddy and snuggle in for. . . . [/i]

today's questions:
let’s talk comfort food.

what’s your favorite thing to eat on a cold day? Homemade soup.

how about when you’re feeling blue. Is there a special food that always makes you feel a bit better? Tacos.

do you have a ‘signature dish’ that you’re known for? PB&J

bonus questions:
our bonus questions were sent by our hard-working city data correspondent in central arizona, who was on the job working on them. . . 24x1 Or was it 1x24?:d

feel free to add details to any of the answers.

job interviews, we've all done them and/or been in them. If you were ready to go in for an interview for a job that you really, really, absolutely wanted - would you feel calm, nervous, or somewhere in between? Happy I'm retired and not have to worry about it.

have you ever done or been in a telephone interview? No.

let's switch sides for a minute - if you were being interviewed, what would be one or two things that would turn you off about the interviewer(s)? Asking me questions not pertinent to the job.

have you ever been in an interview that you thought didn't go too well, but you were hired? Nope.

Last edited by wit-nit; 11-14-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 04:45 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Morning, y’all

Today's Questions:
Let’s talk comfort food.

Hot soup or most anything I normally like hot.

How about when you’re feeling blue. Is there a special food that always makes you feel a
bit better?

Carne guisada or enchiladas maybe...

Bonus Questions:
Our Bonus Questions were sent by our hard-working City Data correspondent in Central Arizona, who

Job interviews, we've all done them and/or been in them. If you were ready to go in for an interview for
a job that you really, really, absolutely wanted - would you feel calm, nervous, or somewhere in between?

Let's switch sides for a minute - If you were being interviewed, what would be one or two things that
would turn you off about the interviewer(s)?

Have you ever been in an interview that you thought didn't go too well, but you were hired?

Today in History:

2011 - New York's Police Department clears Occupy Wall Street protesters from Zucotti Park, the public

Quote of the Day:

Thanks Joy!

Last edited by SATX56; 11-14-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 PM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Morning, y’all

Today's Questions:
Let’s talk comfort food.

What’s your favorite thing to eat on a cold day? - A hot meal. It is a bit on the chilly side today. I recently got back from a brisk 2+ mile walk. I'm in the middle of cooking what should be a great dinner tonight - tilapia, steamed broccoli, baked potato, sauteed mushrooms.

bit better? - I bought ice cream for dessert, a large container instead of the small I usually buy. I also have a piece of chocolate cake. I am feeling more than a bit on the blue side these days. Maybe this will cheer me up.

Do you have a ‘signature dish’ that you’re known for? - Known to myself, LOL. I only cook for one, always. Not by choice, it's just the way it is. The above is good as are my yummy vegetarian breakfast sandwiches. I also bake great banana bread.

Bonus Questions:

a job that you really, really, absolutely wanted - would you feel calm, nervous, or somewhere in between? - Neither. My answer is confident.

Have you ever done or been in a telephone interview? - Yes, a few.

would turn you off about the interviewer(s)? - Easy answer - looking at my body language more than he/she is listening to what I have to say. Sizing me up, down, and sideways too. I hate that. One time I remember I was interviewed by 2 women and they were both doing it. About half way in one pointed to the other then pointed at me. I didn't know what that was all about. I thought it was beyond rude.

Have you ever been in an interview that you thought didn't go too well, but you were hired? - No.

My dinner turned out great!

Thanks, JustJoy
Wishing everyone a good Saturday!

Old 11-14-2014, 05:38 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Today's Questions:
Let’s talk comfort food.

What’s your favorite thing to eat on a cold day? Beef stew or anything warm and good.

bit better?
Anytime, pizza or a cheeseburger.

Can't say I'm known for anything. We do have some family favorites, an apple salad, a chicken and rice casserole, and some others.

Bonus Questions:
a job that you really, really, absolutely wanted - would you feel calm, nervous, or somewhere in between? Calm. No point in getting worked up.

Have you ever done or been in a telephone interview? Years ago, yes.

would turn you off about the interviewer(s)? Inappropriate or negative attitudes.

Have you ever been in an interview that you thought didn't go too well, but you were hired? Don't think so.

Last edited by bjh; 11-14-2014 at 05:56 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 06:06 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Morning, y’all
From what I’ve been reading a lot of you got slammed with some winter weather and more on the way. Hard to believe it’s already that time of the year again.
That's just it, Joy, it's NOT that time of year yet for us here to have these type low high/low temps not usually seen until January that are breaking records nationwide. See: Record-Breaking November Arctic Cold:How Long will it last?

Today's Questions:
Let’s talk comfort food.

Anything warm, usually oatmeal, chili, stew or soups

How about when you’re feeling blue. Is there a special food that always makes you feel a bit better?
Just give me anything baked and sweet, i.e., pastries, cakes, pies, etc., I'm sure to make a quick recovery (though will definitely have to avoid my Dr. for a bit afterward! ).

Probably chili, but these folks around here have not all adjusted to the TX heat I put to it and I've already notched it down quite a bit for those faint of heart!

Bonus Questions:
Our Bonus Questions were sent by our hard-working City Data correspondent in Central Arizona, who was on the job working on them. . . 24x1 or was it 1x24?

Job interviews, we've all done them and/or been in them. If you were ready to go in for an interview for a job that you really, really, absolutely wanted - would you feel calm, nervous, or somewhere in between?
A mixture of all of the above. As a consultant, this was a constant process I went through for every consulting project of many I undertook... being prepared and doing your homework about the company, job expectations and responsibilities for the type position interviewing for will go a long way in reducing any anxiety you might have... never let 'em see you sweat!

Many times on both sides

Let's switch sides for a minute - If you were being interviewed, what would be one or two things that would turn you off about the interviewer(s)?
Asking personal questions that legally they are not permitted to ask, but doing so in a sneaky round-about way.

And, what would turn me off about an interviewee:
(1) Asking about the salary/benefits, and (2) about vacation/days off in initial interview(s), save those until after you've received an offer.

Yes, one especially after I'd had to answer "No, I don't have experience with xxxx" several times to their questions until, finally, I just stated flat out that I didn't think I was the right person for the job! Fortunately for me, they thought differently & it actually worked out very well!

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

Thanks for Saturday's QotD, Joy!

Hope all of you...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-14-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 06:20 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
JustJoy;Morning, y’all

Today's Questions:
Let’s talk comfort food.

What’s your favorite thing to eat on a cold day? My homemade soup.

bit better? Not really.

Do you have a ‘signature dish’ that you’re known for? My lasagna.

Bonus Questions:

a job that you really, really, absolutely wanted - would you feel calm, nervous, or somewhere in between? I'd be a little nervous on the inside but you wouldn't see it on the outside.

Have you ever done or been in a telephone interview? Yes.

would turn you off about the interviewer(s)? Having some jerk undress you with their eyes and taking personal calls while being interviewed.

Have you ever been in an interview that you thought didn't go too well, but you were hired? Most of the jobs I ever applied for went pretty well and I usually got offered the job on the spot, except for one or two of them.

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

Stay safe and warm, everyone.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:36 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times
Morning, y’all
Currently 17 degrees with a wind chill of 9 on the Plateau of Tennessee...

Today's Questions:
Let’s talk comfort food.

What’s your favorite thing to eat on a cold day?.... Big Old stacked high hot roast beef sandwich smothered in gravy with fries and big old coke..

bit better?........ Lasagna... and sweet Italian Sausage... Garfield

Alaskan King Crab and drawn butter... with corn on the cob along with salt potatoes and good salad with glass of good red wine.... topped off with a large brownie in a bowl smothered with heavily hash ice-cream with toasted coconut on top.. with a cherry.. and Irish Coffee

I am retired... no worries about interviews... unless a sequel to Oz... What was behind the "Curtain"

Old 11-14-2014, 06:46 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
...Do you have a ‘signature dish’ that you’re known for?
Alaskan King Crab and drawn butter... with corn on the cob along with salt potatoes and good salad with glass of good red wine.... topped off with a large brownie in a bowl smothered with heavily hash ice-cream with toasted coconut on top.. with a cherry.. and Irish Coffee
So, when do you want us all over for dinner Tin Man? That sounds absolutely wonderful from start to finish!

Old 11-14-2014, 07:06 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,490 times
Morning, y’all
Well, it's in the 20s here now & not supposed to get out of the 30s tomorrow. Brrrrr.....

Today's Questions:
Let’s talk comfort food.

What’s your favorite thing to eat on a cold day? Soup

bit better? Soup, mac & cheese...

Do you have a ‘signature dish’ that you’re known for? My family usually requests lasagna.

Bonus Questions:

a job that you really, really, absolutely wanted - would you feel calm, nervous, or somewhere in between? Nervous. I've only had one job interview.

Have you ever done or been in a telephone interview? Not phone, but skype

would turn you off about the interviewer(s)? Interviewers who were just "going through the motions." People who didn't seem interested.

Have you ever been in an interview that you thought didn't go too well, but you were hired? As I said, I've only been interviewed once. My first teaching job I got because I'd done my student teaching in the district & was offered the job as a specialized reading teacher. Then when a classroom teacher retired I asked administration for the job and they gave it to me. I interviewed once, wanting to return to teaching reading but didn't get the job. They wanted me to stay in the classroom & only interviewed me as a courtesy. Total waste of time. Then when a special educator retired and I'd been in the classroom for 28 years I asked for his position. Our sped director only asked if I had a sped endorsement, which I did, and she gave me the job.
I have interviewed a lot of people & always feel nervous for them!

I'm going to a performance of "Frozen" with my two older granddaughters. Anyone else here able to sing "Let It Go?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics