Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times

Advertisements

This morning I started putting some things into the closet and in some cabinets when I noticed more just that I’ve stored there for years without using. So why do I still have it? Because I thought it was good to have around and yet I never used it or maybe once but never again. Why?

The kitchen cupboards have things that are never used for cooking anymore or never go on the table. There’s an egg poacher that I used once, a butter dish, popcorn maker, mixer, blender, cookie jar, and pots & pans that never are used and should be donated or given away. I also have three radios that seem to never be turned on but sit on the shelves in the spare room. And yes, I bought something just a couple of weeks ago that I’ll never never need again – an ice-scraper with a brush on the other end. I don’t want this item now nor go back into the winter weather areas of the country. LOL

What have you bought or had given to you that you don’t need or use?
And why do you still have it?

And what should I do with this "stuff"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Well, I have my ice scraper and am sure will need/use it again. I hont really have a need out here for my heavy coats but hold on to them, you never know.
I have my big 27" tv that weights a ton and can probably give away and hope one day to replace with a flat screen, so much lighter tv.
There are things I need but don't have and that list might be a bit bigger, lol.
Your idea of donating or maybe having a thrift sale for your unwanted stuff might be a god one though.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:59 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
That is a good question AksarbeN
I have a whole drawer of silk scarfs,hand knitted scarfs all gifts from friends when they traveled around the world. I have several Scottish Tartan skirts that never go out of style but rarely wear,shoes, a women never can have enough shoes and purses. I always think there will be the day I will wear or use it and for now all stays put Overall I make sure I go through my household items once a year and I donate unwanted gently used items.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Where do I even start?

Old 01-15-2015, 01:46 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
I have some items that belonged to my mom and clothes, tools and other items that belonged to my hubby, as well as some things that belonged to my dad. I know most of it I should donate but I can't seem to let them ago yet even though I know I should. Can't live in the past, right?

Old 01-15-2015, 01:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Timely topic! January is the primary 'purge" month here. Just took one large box and a bag to the Goodwill yesterday. There's more to come, or should I say, Go?

I feel lighter already.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:22 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
I have one of those fancy, $300 KitchenAid mixers that weighs about 40 pounds. An ex gave it to me for my birthday a couple of years ago after I mentioned once in passing four months prior that I saw a YouTube video of bread-making and it would be fun to try but I didn't have the right mixer for it. (I have a hand-held, and you need a stand-up with a dough attachment.)

I used that thing once, just for regular Duncan Hines brownie mix, to learn how it works, and it was such an unholy PITA to work with and clean, I never used it again after that. I'd rather just take the extra 90 seconds and use a wooden spoon. And I never felt compelled to make bread because honestly? Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but he was forever trying to get me to cook for him when he never returned the favor, and I kind of resented it, especially when I'd been saying things like, "I don't need more stuff. For the money, why not go away overnight somewhere?" It was a "for you but for me" gift.

I'm probably going to sell it before I move, along with the jewelry that he and his parents gave me, much of which I never wore even once because we never went anyplace where I could. It wasn't like I was going to wear black pearls or amethyst earrings to go to a chain restaurant in suburbia or get take-out and then sit around in yoga pants watching a pay-per-view movie and drinking a glass of wine, which is pretty much what every date night of ours was for nearly 7 years running. Not going to wear that stuff out with friends or new men, either, as I don't care to be reminded.

NOT that I am ungrateful, because I use and appreciate everything else he gave me, and he gave me some nice things over the years. But those things were just so symbolic of his obliviousness and refusal to work on issues I'd discussed with him over and over again that the sooner I get rid of them, the better.

Other than that, not much. I'm kind of a minimalist and actually have a couple of cupboards that are nearly empty. Only other things I can think of are some clothes and shoes I don't wear anymore. I'm moving this summer, so they'll be donated or trashed as appropriate. Same for Christmas ornaments from the ex-hub and ex-SOs and their families. Starting over when I move, right down to my furniture.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Last edited by Lilac110; 01-15-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 02:33 PM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I have one of those fancy, $300 KitchenAid mixers that weighs about 40 pounds. An ex gave it to me for my birthday a couple of years ago after I mentioned once in passing four months prior that I saw a YouTube video of bread-making and it would be fun to try but I didn't have the right mixer for it. (I have a hand-held, and you need a stand-up with a dough attachment.)

I used that thing once, just for regular Duncan Hines brownie mix, to learn how it works, and it was such an unholy PITA to work with and clean, I never used it again after that. I'd rather just take the extra 90 seconds and use a wooden spoon. And I never felt compelled to make bread because honestly? Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but he was forever trying to get me to cook for him when he never returned the favor, and I kind of resented it, especially when I'd been saying things like, "I don't need more stuff. For the money, why not go away overnight somewhere?" It was a "for you but for me" gift.

I'm probably going to sell it before I move, along with the jewelry that he and his parents gave me, much of which I never wore even once because we never went anyplace where I could. It wasn't like I was going to wear black pearls or amethyst earrings to go to a chain restaurant in suburbia or get take-out and then sit around in yoga pants watching a pay-per-view movie and drinking a glass of wine, which is pretty much what every date night of ours was for nearly 7 years running. Not going to wear that stuff out with friends or new men, either, as I don't care to be reminded.

NOT that I am ungrateful, because I use and appreciate everything else he gave me, and he gave me some nice things over the years. But those things were just so symbolic of his obliviousness and refusal to work on issues I'd discussed with him over and over again that the sooner I get rid of it, the better.

Other than that, not much. I'm kind of a minimalist and actually have a couple of cupboards that are nearly empty. Only other things I can think of are some clothes and shoes I don't wear anymore. I'm moving this summer, so they'll be donated or trashed as appropriate.

Aren't you glad you asked?
I was asked if I wanted that very same Kitchen Aid to make life easier on me when I bake..just for the same reason you mentioned I politely declined,knowing I rather use my hands kneading ( I guess I am old fashioned)than using a machine. It would have wasted my space on the counter,did not feel like lifting it in and out of my cupboards.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:50 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I was asked if I wanted that very same Kitchen Aid to make life easier on me when I bake..just for the same reason you mentioned I politely declined,knowing I rather use my hands kneading ( I guess I am old fashioned)than using a machine. It would have wasted my space on the counter,did not feel like lifting it in and out of my cupboards.
Oh, they're impossible! I lift weights and work out a lot, and even with burgeoning Michelle Obama arms, it's so awkward to move. Just yesterday I drew a face in the dust on the base of it.

They're supposed to be suburban status symbols, too, right up there with Dyson vacuum cleaners. (I am keeping the handheld he gave me, even though I don't use it that much.)

Last edited by Lilac110; 01-15-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 03:35 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Everything in the "stuff drawer," but when I empty it more "stuff" always replaces what was tossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics