Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:50 AM

4,039 posts, read 2,897,983 times

Advertisements

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? PC

What year did you buy your first computer? Late 80s I think.

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? By the time I bought a computer I'd been using them at work for a while. I really can't remember having any formal training.

Sometimes we have to do things more than once to get them right - tell us about something you had to do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task. I just put a small shelving unit for a closet together twice! First time around, the laminate surface for the bottom shelf was facing the wrong way. Duh!

In cases when you didn't realize that something needed to be redone until you thought you were finished, how did you realize that there was a problem? Choose from whichever applies below:

- The final product didn't look or work right?
- Somebody told you about it?
- You redid it for that "New and Improved" reason?
- You redid it because you were bored and you wanted to kill time?
- Other?

Thanks JJ and happy Saturday everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 AM

16,584 posts, read 17,353,476 times
Greetings Joy and all.

Today's Questions:

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? I guess a PC, but i'd like a Mac. I have an iPhone and an iPad but my HP is doing fine at the moment and I can't justify the cost of an iMac.

What year did you buy your first computer? At home- not sure, about 1994 but I had work ones before that.

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? Winged it.

Bonus Questions:
Today's Bonus Questions came to us via something . . . by our expert at . . . in Central Arizona

Sometimes we have to do things more than once to get them right - tell us about something you had to
do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task. Pretty much everything!

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? Still waiting....

In cases when you didn't realize that something needed to be redone until you thought you were
finished, how did you realize that there was a problem? Choose from whichever applies below:

- Other?

Police, ambulance and fire brigade arrived in quick succession. (Only kidding.)

Old 01-24-2015, 08:59 AM

20,957 posts, read 5,523,701 times
Today's Questions:
Today is the 31st anniversary of the release of the Apple Macintosh with its 9-inch monochrome
display, 128 KB of memory and a 3.5" slot for a floppy disk. Just amazing how far technology has
advanced over the last 3 decades. . .

What year did you buy your first computer? My husband had one in 1992. Don't remember what kind is was -- a glorified typewriter which I used to write articles for a local publication, which I'd put on a floppy and then drive the floppy over to the editor.

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? Combo

Bonus Questions:
Today's Bonus Questions came to us via something . . . by our expert at . . . in Central Arizona

Sometimes we have to do things more than once to get them right - tell us about something you had to
do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task. I used to assemble miniature accessories meant for dollhouses and serious miniature collectors. One project my boss gave me was a white phone painted with roses and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get the hang of painting the roses.

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? I must have tried 50 times! Finally, I just made the phones and sent them to her unpainted, to paint herself.

In cases when you didn't realize that something needed to be redone until you thought you were
finished, how did you realize that there was a problem? Choose from whichever applies below:

- Somebody told you about it? Another style of the mini phones I made for her. She said they kept falling apart in shipping. Eventually got it figured out.
- Other?

Thanks for the great questions, JustJoy. Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:09 AM

72,353 posts, read 18,168,286 times
Today's Questions:
Today is the 31st anniversary of the release of the Apple Macintosh with its 9-inch monochrome
display, 128 KB of memory and a 3.5" slot for a floppy disk. Just amazing how far technology has

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)?

Just the regular PC

What year did you buy your first computer?

1993. It was a gift

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)?

Took a computer class for word and some sinple stuff

Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 AM

126,189 posts, read 18,933,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Howdy y’all
Welcome to the weekend

Let’s dive right in and take a look at. . . .

Today's Questions:

What year did you buy your first computer? 1. one was a hand me down and last year a new one

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? teach myself

Bonus Questions:

Sometimes we have to do things more than once to get them right - tell us about something you had to digging a hole to the perfect size,tightening screws,re-clean something
do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task.

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right?twice

- The final product didn't look or work right?...this
- Somebody told you about it?...and this
- Other?

Today in History:

1848 - James Marshall finds gold in Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California
1902 - Denmark sells Virgin Islands to USA
1935 - 1st canned beer, "Krueger Cream Ale," is sold by Kruger Brewing Co
1958 - After warming to 100,000,000 degrees, 2 light atoms are bashed together to create a heavier
atom, resulting in 1st man-made nuclear fusion
1964 - 24th Amendment to U.S. Constitution goes into effect and state voting rights could not be denied
due to failure to pay taxes
1985 - 15th Space Shuttle (51-C) Mission-Discovery 3 is launched
1986 - Voyager 2 makes 1st fly-by of Uranus (81,593 km), finds new moons
2013 - European Bioinformatics Institute scientists have successfully stored audio and text on fragments
of DNA, and retrieved them with 99.99% accuracy - the first time in history DNA has been used for data storage
2014 – Today in 2014 marked the 30th anniversary of the release of the Apple Macintosh; the computer
had a 9-inch monochrome display, 128 KB of memory and a 3.5" slot for a floppy disk

Quote of the Day:

Have a great weekend and
Have a good weekend

Old 01-24-2015, 09:25 AM

54,485 posts, read 33,800,276 times
Today's Questions:
advanced over the last 3 decades. . . - I'm glad it was called Apple.. instead of Orange.. or Banana..

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? - Hmm.. IBM 370 Mainframe.. but it took up too much room in my house... so I traded in for a Commodore 64.. - Actually, I have no preference, both (newest generations of Windows and Mac/OSX 64-bit platforms) have their pros and cons, but I also like Linux.

What year did you buy your first computer? - 1996.

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? - Hmm.. I took a class on how to mess up a computer.. err.... I mean program a computer.. - Actually I have a degree in computer science, but I've used a combo of the above for various things to do with computers.

Bonus Questions:

Sometimes we have to do things more than once to get them right - tell us about something you had to do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task. - Hmm.. I thought about this twice or three times.. - A do-it-yourself project I'm currently working on, I used an old wood finish on a desk section I'm building that didn't quite dry as it should have.. Don't worry, I'm not gonna quit my day job and become a carpenter..

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? - With this particular project, once - Working as a software engineer, there were times I've had to redo things more than once.. to fix bugs, luckily I caught them before they were released.. Don't worry, I don't work for Microsoft...

In cases when you didn't realize that something needed to be redone until you thought you were finished, how did you realize that there was a problem? Choose from whichever applies below:

- The final product didn't look or work right? - <--------<<
- Somebody told you about it? - <--------<<
- You redid it for that "New and Improved" reason? - <--------<< And in some cases, the words from an old saying: "If it aint broke, don't fix it", come to mind....
- You redid it because you were bored and you wanted to kill time? - Well that actually happened a couple of times in the past when I tried to improve something, but I ended up breaking it or something else....
- Other? - Everything else you can imagine...

Have a great weekend and .. - And I hope to finish this project this weekend...

Thanks Joy, everyone have a fun Saturday.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,763,651 times
Howdy y’all
Welcome to the weekend

Let’s dive right in and take a look at. . . .

Today's Questions:

I'm a PC gal

Can't remember exactly, sometime in the 90's

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)?
I taught myself while I was working

Bonus Questions:

do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task.
I put together a futon and someone slept on it and broke it completely so I had to order all new parts and put it together again

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right?
twice

- Other?
I put together a cabinet and thought I was done then realized I had put the shelves in backwards, duh

Today in History:

1848 - James Marshall finds gold in Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California
1902 - Denmark sells Virgin Islands to USA
1935 - 1st canned beer, "Krueger Cream Ale," is sold by Kruger Brewing Co
1958 - After warming to 100,000,000 degrees, 2 light atoms are bashed together to create a heavier
atom, resulting in 1st man-made nuclear fusion
1964 - 24th Amendment to U.S. Constitution goes into effect and state voting rights could not be denied
due to failure to pay taxes
1985 - 15th Space Shuttle (51-C) Mission-Discovery 3 is launched
1986 - Voyager 2 makes 1st fly-by of Uranus (81,593 km), finds new moons
2013 - European Bioinformatics Institute scientists have successfully stored audio and text on fragments
of DNA, and retrieved them with 99.99% accuracy - the first time in history DNA has been used for data storage
2014 – Today in 2014 marked the 30th anniversary of the release of the Apple Macintosh; the computer
had a 9-inch monochrome display, 128 KB of memory and a 3.5" slot for a floppy disk

Quote of the Day:

Have a great weekend and

Thanks Joy!

Old 01-24-2015, 10:01 AM

24,343 posts, read 25,859,097 times
Today's Questions:

With 2 iMacs, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, Im sure we're Mac folks.

I think it was around 1982, a Ace 1000 which was a Apple II knockoff.

No classes, mostly word of mouth, learning from others.

Bonus Questions:

When you work with several engineers with mechanical, electrical and other disciplines and Nationalities working on the same system you are bound to have issues.

At least 3 times to satisfy all requirements.

- Other? It didn't pass the "no smoke test".

Old 01-24-2015, 10:04 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,232,416 times

PC, although I can't say for mac because I've never actually used one.

We've had a computer since around the time I was born in 1994. The first PC I remember using was a gateway we got in '99. It had windows 98.

I've had both. I had classes for typing and MS office in high school, but taught myself the rest.

Bonus Questions:

I was building a CD bookcase about a year and a half ago. I didn't realize until the end that I attached the back wrong. The unfinished side was put on the wrong way, so the back looked terrible. I had to take all the nails out (about 3 dozen tiny nails!) and put it on again, this time the right way.
Just once. I learned a valuable lesson on that one: put the back on right!

- The final product didn't look or work right? That was the above situation. It looked terrible until I fixed it.
- You redid it for that "New and Improved" reason? Sometimes this reason
- You redid it because you were bored and you wanted to kill time? Occasionally
- Other?

Old 01-24-2015, 10:07 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,258,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Howdy y’all
Welcome to the weekend That's how I'm feeling, alright! This weekend couldn't come fast enough

Today's Questions:

Are you a PC or a Mac kind-of guy (or gal)? No Macs in this house! My husband's a computer tech and he will not touch Macs.

What year did you buy your first computer? Got my first in the mid-90's. '95, I think.

Did you take computer classes or just read a user manual and essentially teach yourself (or a combo of both)? Well, I learned from the computers at work, but when I finally got my own it was my hubby who taught me the internet, and self-maintenance, etc.

Bonus Questions:

do more than once, such as a task in a Do-It-Yourself project, or a work-related task. I am ADD, so doing things over is how I often end up doing things. It's so common for me. Digging out the Christmas decorations was very frustrating, so I decided to put them back in certain order, which took lots of yanking out and moving around before I got it right. It looks disorderly but I'll be grateful next year.

How many times did you have re-do it to get it just right? Oh, Lordy! About 5.

- You redid it for that "New and Improved" reason? Often why I re-organize closets and storage all the time.
- You redid it because you were bored and you wanted to kill time? Uh... NO - never!
- Other?

Quote of the Day:

Have a great weekend and
Thanks, Joy! Have a great weekend, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics