Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,169,528 times

Advertisements

I thought about putting this in the Grief and Mourning forum, but it occurred to me that not everyone who sends flowers to a funeral home is actually bereaved or would think to look there. Plus, with Valentine's Day coming up, this could probably translate across the board.

After having an order for a floral arrangement messed up by a certain famous flower dispatcher that is neither FTD nor Teleflora, and going through a huge rigmarole with them on the phone, I decided to call the funeral home directly. This is the second time this company messed up. I can forgive once. Twice, and it's a problem. They also screwed up a holiday delivery a few years ago, and a delivery ordered by someone else that was supposed to arrive at my old job on a Friday and did not get delivered until the following Monday, less than fresh.

Turns out the flowers were delivered, although not by the appointed time--not that the floral dispatcher could tell me that. She was too busy trying to blame me because whoever took the order there did not check the box for early morning delivery.

Anyway, the person who answered the phone at the funeral home said that the best thing to do when sending flowers to a funeral home is to call the funeral home and find out what local florist they use, then call the florist directly.

Thought I'd just pass this on. And whenever I have to send flowers, from now on I'm just going to find out who is local to the recipient and go from there, no matter what the occasion is. You can always look up their ratings on Yelp or another rating site before you call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 05:12 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,430,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I thought about putting this in the Grief and Mourning forum, but it occurred to me that not everyone who sends flowers to a funeral home is actually bereaved or would think to look there. Plus, with Valentine's Day coming up, this could probably translate across the board.

After having an order for a floral arrangement messed up by a certain famous flower dispatcher that is neither FTD nor Teleflora, and going through a huge rigmarole with them on the phone, I decided to call the funeral home directly. This is the second time this company messed up. I can forgive once. Twice, and it's a problem. They also screwed up a holiday delivery a few years ago, and a delivery ordered by someone else that was supposed to arrive at my old job on a Friday and did not get delivered until the following Monday, less than fresh.

Turns out the flowers were delivered, although not by the appointed time--not that the floral dispatcher could tell me that. She was too busy trying to blame me because whoever took the order there did not check the box for early morning delivery.

Anyway, the person who answered the phone at the funeral home said that the best thing to do when sending flowers to a funeral home is to call the funeral home and find out what local florist they use, then call the florist directly.

Thought I'd just pass this on. And whenever I have to send flowers, from now on I'm just going to find out who is local to the recipient and go from there, no matter what the occasion is. You can always look up their ratings on Yelp or another rating site before you call.
FYI: Some funeral homes have on line guest signature along with virtual flowers that are displayed on a wall monitor..

Old 01-30-2015, 05:18 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,169,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
FYI: Some funeral homes have on line guest signature along with virtual flowers that are displayed on a wall monitor..
Interesting!

I prefer to send the real thing, however. In my family, and others I've seen, people tend to want to bring the arrangements home. For my mom, we all chose flowers from different arrangements to put in the casket with her before they sealed it for cremation. I remember my youngest nephew picking this HUGE sunflower and looking confused because there was almost no room to put it.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:22 PM

44,301 posts, read 19,972,258 times
That's a fantastic tip about flowers, Lilac.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,808,451 times
GREAT tip. I've always used a local florist if possible. I hate calling those 800 numbers and getting just "who ever or what ever" flower shop at the other town............... "Local is always better"............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics