Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:50 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,905,909 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could own any piece of original art, what would you choose, and why? Pretty much any painting by Edward Hopper. I like "Chop Suey" but would be thrilled to own any of his amazing works. Why? Taste in art is such an individual thing -- some works speak to me and some don't, even though the artist has great talent. Hopper's work speaks to me.

Which original manuscript would you choose, and why? "Now We Are Six" -- A. A. Milne because it was my first and still my most favorite book of poems.

Have you ever worked on your own plumbing in any way? Yes. If so, what have you done? I have changed the mechanism inside a couple of toilets, unblocked drains and changed faucets.

From where you are sitting, can you see:
candy? Nope
a box of tissues? Nope
a pair of shoes? I have slippers on my feet.
a butterfly (real, or an image)? Yes -- a little crystal one.
framed art? Yes.
a basket?Yup.
an umbrella stand/holder? Nope.

Thanks PC and happy day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,276,145 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could own any piece of original art, what would you choose, and why? I have zero interest in art. If I could still have the money. I would do something charitable with it.

Which original manuscript would you choose, and why? ^^^

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever worked on your own plumbing in any way? If so, what have you done? I usually let hubby handle that kind of stuff.

Just for Fun:
candy? No, the only candy in the house is a candy bouquet that I made to take to the hospital when my nephew and his wife have their baby.
a box of tissues? No
a pair of shoes? Only the ones on my feet.
a butterfly (real, or an image)? No
framed art? Yes
a basket? Yes
an umbrella stand/holder? No

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1302 Romeo and Juliet's wedding day, according to Shakespeare
Birthday: 1952 Douglas Adams, English writer
Geek: 1997 Ashes of Star Trek creator, Gene Roddenberry are launched into space
Politics/Public Affairs: 1990 Lithuania declares its Independence
Science/Technology: 1986 Japanese probe Sakigake flies by Halley's Comet at 6.8 million km
Sports: 1987 Wayne Gretzky scores 1,500th NHL point

Today’s Word:
cento
Pronunciation: SEN-to
Meaning: noun: A literary work, especially a poem, composed of parts taken from works of other authors.
Etymology: From Latin cento (patchwork).
Earliest documented use: 1605.

Today is:
Dream 2015 Day
Johnny Appleseed Day
World Plumbing Day
Registered Dietitian Day

Quote of the Day:
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." ~ Douglas Adams ~
He's a funny one, that Douglas Adams. And with both humorously and painfully sharp powers of observation!

Have a good day everyone!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:57 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,821,763 times
f money were no object and you could own any piece of original art, what would you choose, and why? Frida Kahlo...LOVE HER STUFF....
Detroit art museum to open Rivera and Kahlo exhibition in March

Going to miss seeing this...

Which original manuscript would you choose, and why? Anything would be good...

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever worked on your own plumbing in any way? If so, what have you done? OMG..helped my husband once..never again...had to hold a large container to hold the water from the toilet pipe that was blocked and ....ahhh never mind...

Just for Fun:
candy? yes
a box of tissues? yes
a pair of shoes?yes
a butterfly (real, or an image)? yes
framed art? yes
a basket? yes
an umbrella stand/holder?yes

ALL OF THEM...WOW/....

Old 03-11-2015, 09:11 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,044 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could own any piece of original art, what would you choose, and why?
Oh...... too many to choose from..... Maybe something from a renaissance painter.... or a piece of sculpture.... or...

Which original manuscript would you choose, and why? Hm.... Dickens.... I think. Which piece?

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever worked on your own plumbing in any way? If so, what have you done? No, I know better than to even think about trying.

Just for Fun:
candy?
a box of tissues?
a pair of shoes
a butterfly (real, or an image)?
framed art
a basket
an umbrella stand/holder?

Quote of the Day:
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." ~ Douglas Adams ~
He's a funny one, that Douglas Adams. And with both humorously and painfully sharp powers of observation!

Have a good day everyone! Thanks!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,174,944 times
[quote=PatsCats;38773203]Mornin' all!
It's a foggy morning here in Northwest Indiana, and it seems as though my computer is experiencing a fog of its own. I think I need to just get a new one, as much as I hate the thought of it. Oh well. At least the temperatures are starting to rise, and the last of the piles of shoveled-up, dirty snow are beginning to melt.

What is snow?

Okay, onward! >>>

Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could own any piece of original art, what would you choose, and why?

I'm assuming you mean something more or less well-known. The painting by Jack Yeats..."Left-left We left our name on the road..." probably.

Which original manuscript would you choose, and why?

The Mira Calligraphiae Monumenta, a sixteenth century manuscript that started out as a collectors catalogue of script styles, which was a knockout in itself and was then turned into a unique masterpiece by an illustrator who was turned loose on it.

Mira calligraphiae monumenta (Getty Museum)

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever worked on your own plumbing in any way? If so, what have you done?

Yes. Wept.

Just for Fun:
candy? No
a box of tissues? No
a pair of shoes? My own.
a butterfly (real, or an image)? Real one on a plant on the terrace.
framed art? Yes
a basket? Yes
an umbrella stand/holder? Yes

Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 AM

24,435 posts, read 25,963,743 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could own any piece of original art, what would you choose, and why?I
i would like a original painting from a friend and local artist Alfredo Rodriquez because I like his work and it fits in with our southwestern decor.

L-E_Prints

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever worked on your own plumbing in any way? If so, what have you done?
Yep, faucets inside and outside, toilets, garbage disposals, and dishwashers.

Just for Fun:
candy?
a box of tissues?
a pair of shoes?
framed art?
a basket?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,782,975 times
[quote=PatsCats;38773203]Mornin' all!

It's a foggy morning here in Northwest Indiana, and it seems as though my computer is experiencing a fog of its own. I think I need to just get a new one, as much as I hate the thought of it. Oh well. At least the temperatures are starting to rise, and the last of the piles of shoveled-up, dirty snow are beginning to melt.

Okay, onward! >>>

Today's Question(s):
It's a toss up between Time Transfixed or Golconda by Magritte. I've always been a fan of his work,

The original manuscript from the movie The Razor's Edge. I have the movie poster from the remake back in the 1980's. It was the first movie John and I saw together. We try to watch it every year on our anniversary.

Bonus Question(s):
I've helped John with some rental projects.

Just for Fun:
candy?........................................ No I'm going through marshmallow bunny with drawl. Those ears
a box of tissues?...........................Nope
a pair of shoes?............................Nope
a butterfly (real, or an image)?......Nope
framed art?..................................Yes, I have two antique full moon paintings with in view.
a basket?.....................................Nope
an umbrella stand/holder?............Nope

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1302 Romeo and Juliet's wedding day, according to Shakespeare
Birthday: 1952 Douglas Adams, English writer
Geek: 1997 Ashes of Star Trek creator, Gene Roddenberry are launched into space
Politics/Public Affairs: 1990 Lithuania declares its Independence
Science/Technology: 1986 Japanese probe Sakigake flies by Halley's Comet at 6.8 million km
Sports: 1987 Wayne Gretzky scores 1,500th NHL point

Today’s Word:
cento
Pronunciation: SEN-to
Meaning: noun: A literary work, especially a poem, composed of parts taken from works of other authors.
Etymology: From Latin cento (patchwork).
Earliest documented use: 1605.

Today is:
Dream 2015 Day
Johnny Appleseed Day
World Plumbing Day
Registered Dietitian Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a good day everyone!

Thanks's PatsCats. I'm still having a terrible time with this time change. I'm up until 4am again.

Thanks Kobber. I'm finally off today and tomorrow. Monsoon gets the dirty deed done tomorrow. Poor kitty.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:21 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,668,100 times

I'm sending the sun east. It's beautiful in the Fox River Valley

Okay, onward! >>>

Today's Question(s):
Have no interest in art. I wouldn't know the difference between a Rembrandt and a Roadrunner.

I feel the same way about literature.

Bonus Question(s):
I have done everything. One of the jobs I had was installing high pressure hot water cleaning systems. That required running hundreds of feet of pipe for low and high pressure water and gas pipe.

Just for Fun:
candy?
a box of tissues?
a pair of shoes?
a butterfly (real, or an image)?NO
framed art?NO
a basket?
an umbrella stand/holder?NO

Old 03-11-2015, 12:23 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,665,880 times
Mornin' all!

Okay, onward! >>>

Foggy morning here to patscats. Nice now though. Just like a spring day

Today's Question(s):

Not really any of it. I would take a trip.

Bonus Question(s):

I tried.....forget it.

Just for Fun:
candy?
a box of tissues?
a pair of shoes?
framed art?
a basket?

nothing....Guess I"m a boring person

Old 03-11-2015, 03:46 PM

401 posts, read 479,460 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could own any piece of original art, what would you choose, and why? Some of Renior's early impressionist paintings. I like the colors and, them showing life during that time.

Which original manuscript would you choose, and why? William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. I saw it performed live in the recreated Globe Theatre in London. It was totally awesome!

Bonus Question(s):
Have you ever worked on your own plumbing in any way? If so, what have you done? Nope.

Just for Fun:
candy? Yes
a box of tissues? No
a pair of shoes? Yes
a butterfly (real, or an image)? No
framed art? Yes
a basket? Yes (laundry basket)
an umbrella stand/holder? No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics