U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-12-2008, 11:22 AM

3,568 posts, read 2,486,898 times

Advertisements

Mine is decent - had company the night before last, so I still have residual tidy-ness.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 11:36 AM

3,927 posts, read 5,746,367 times
LOL...
My house is family and close friends ready. They know what to expect when they come in the door!

I have a 14 yr old, brother in law, husband and usually the 20 yr old will drop in late in evenings for food! Then there is the dog and cat.

Last night my mother and father in law dropped in. I just moved the pile of coats and ahem, hubbys christmas gift of clothes off the living room chair to the bar stool so she could sit by the fire!

Seriously, if people don't like my house as it is, and only come to see how clean it is, I don't need 'em as friends or family!

Now, if I am entertaining that is a different story and I will even shut my utility room door and office door to hide the clutter.

My mom was very into what people thought. We had a lived in house while growing up, yet---let someone from out of town call and say they were going to be there in 30 minutes....LOL....I have even put dirty dishes in the oven! My mom always had nice furniture etc, and was very picky, but we still lived hard in that house.

She has finally quit inspecting mine when she comes in, guess she realized she was wasting her breath. With growing boys and their friends, there is no way to keep the house spotless. With a husband who works in mud all day there is no way to keep the floors from having tracks on them all the time. With a dog and cat, there is going to be dog hair, and with no carpets to hide the hair, it shows on the floor!

Her house, on the other hand, is always formal company ready now, but then, she has no kids anymore underfoot either!

So, y'all just come on over, I'll make a pot of coffee and a pitcher of tea and offer you some brownies, blueberry muffins or chocolate pie while we swipe off a place to sit at the table. Can guarantee you will have fun and be entertained!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 AM

15,008 posts, read 25,335,932 times
If company wants to tidy up they are invited to do so. Otherwise mine is ready for anybody at any time.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:56 AM

448 posts, read 668,951 times
Love me-Love my house. If your tetanus shot isn't up to date don't bother coming. I have the same issues as everyone else. 3 teenage boys, 2 dogs and a life. My husband is very neat, but doesn't clean. I am a clutter girl, but I clean, so he has no say in my clutter. He's a saint and never mentions it anyway.
We have built 3 houses together and the debate about floor/carpet/counters/windows etc often comes to how difficult it is to keep clean. I finally decided I would rather have a floor I loved that was dirty than a floor I settled for that was dirty. Next house...No Carpet.
I though they were referring to prunes as dried plums now to improve their image.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:36 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,524,262 times
Default No! But if you are offering to come help---

Right at the moment you read this, is your house "company ready"
or will you be running around throwing things in closets yelling "hang on be right there" at the door ?

You have got to be kidding!!

I work all week 6:00 to 4:30, take care of two grandchildren and a husband.
It is all I can do to keep clean clothes and the dishes washed.

Then I found all of you here on CD and the house work was no longer in my list of to do things.

We always have little girl things where they shouldn't be.
They have all the princess hanging things to put them in but they always have to be reminded to put them there.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:25 PM

19,536 posts, read 22,750,292 times
We've both been sick. House is NOT ready, and I will not be answering the door, so don't bother knocking.

National Prune month follows Thanksgiving and Christmas in order to help get rid of all that food you shoved in your gullets!

Just indulging in a bit of raillery

Me, guilty as charged.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 11,079,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
my mother in law is coming over this morning so I guess thats what gave me the idea for todays question.

I cleaned yesterday but with 3 dogs and a bird it makes it had to keep up

lol making the bed is a endless battle since they love to get up there and make a nest

so I guess my answer would be

I hope so
rofl I think she will be so distracted by the "tower o' TP" in the guestbath that she won't notice anything else

unless as they say " the apple didn't fall far from the tree" and she doesn't notice it anymore than her son does
Karla I thought my big dog was the only one who liked to take the comforter, the sheets and the pillows and twirl it all up, then he gets on it. The little dog will scratch and scratch until he gets two pillows the way he wants them and then he will put his butt on one and hang over the top from the 2nd one. I love them so much. I really do!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Definately not ready for company Karla. This house had a good cleaning on Wednesday for the appraisal and now 3 days later, 4 kids, 2 cats, and the dog, looks like a cyclone hit it! Our home inspection is on Monday morning so I best get busy...oh, and Go Cowboys!
Jeannie. Got the answer for you.

Get rid of the kids!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:11 PM

To answer the question.

I am essentially a clean, neat person. My boyfriend is neat. He picks up after himself. Puts dirty clothes in the laundry room, etc. But he never, ever, picks up a broom, a mop, a vacuum, windex or anything remotely related to cleaning, but he doesn't really ADD to the mess. My cats and my dogs are another story and they don't pick up either. My house is fairly neat- except my bedroom, thanks to the dogs and cats. Cat and dog bedding and twirled up bed sheets, pillows, etc.

Anybody can come here whenever they want. They will never see the house any dirtier, or any cleaner, or any more "fixed" up. We live in this house and it shows. The family room IS the hub of the house, and it shows. Cat condos, desk, computer, plasma TV, furniture, fish tank, pictures on the walls, shelves, 1/2 bath, litter boxes, etc.

When anybody comes we usually shove everybody outside. They can make the mess there and who cares. Take the blower and hose and it's done!

My mother is schizo about everything having to be in IT'S proper, perfect place. Fine she can do her room. Don't touch the rest.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:16 PM

940 posts, read 995,020 times
My home is president ready....only cause Im sellinghttp://bestsmileys.com/sad/10.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics