Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times

Advertisements

Scir, nice to see you back! Take a little vacation?
And what's that tricky little gizmo under your handle -- ♂♀*†∞ ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:53 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Hi allforcats. I’ve been around …more than I should be.

I’m sure you’re too young to remember the TV show, Ben Casey. I remember watching it in high school. Before each episode there was a black-and-white preface that had a hand drawing with chalk on a board the following symbols and narrative:

“man” ♂

“woman” ♀

“birth” *

“death” †

INFINITY” ∞

As the last symbol (infinity) was being drawn, there was a split second dramatic pause and the ominous declaration as Sam Jaffe pronounced “INFINITY.” It always used to send a chill down my back. Recently, I was pondering the meaning of the sequence of the symbols and “its” meaning. It prompted me to do some searching on the internet.

Here’s one page I brought up that provided somewhat of an explanation. I don’t know whether I concur or not. More pondering may be necessary. *shrugs shoulders*

Man, Woman, Birth, Death, Infinity

Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
I remember the reruns and having a major crush on him...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/jeannie216/Bettye_Ackerman.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 PM

HA -- Jeannie! -- I saw the original! Why, that makes me old like scirocco, doesn't it! Hahahahahahaha!!!

I now recall that, at the time the show was airing originally, my sense was that the creative team had settled on the symbols to inject a quasi-scientific atmosphere. I thought this might be to distinguish the show from -- get ready, fellow old folks -- Marcus Welby, M.D. which was all soft and fuzzy with Father Knows Best’s Robert Young and the young James Brolin who would grow up to be Mr. Streisand.

Jeannie, nothing personal, you understand -- each to her own -- about the actor who played Ben Casey. As a high-school girl, I always thought he had about one and a half facial expressions (dumb looking straight ahead, and dumb looking down, up or sideways), and unfortunately, genetically, had a face that seemed to have the IQ of lint, to quote Diane on Cheers. The show also offered Jaffey with his Frankenstein hair. I could find little, therefore, that drew me to the show and rarely watched it. Clearly, I am a superficial snob, swayed entirely by looks. Hahahahaha! What the hell!!

Scir, what is it that you are pondering regarding the symbols? They’re pretty old. What are you musing about? The article you found is intelligently instructive, I think, offering nicely 20-20 hindsight analysis. Nice explanation, no?

Last edited by allforcats; 01-11-2008 at 08:03 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 PM

So you’re “over-the-hill” too?!

*eh* yeah, after reading that article again, I guess you’re right. I was probably just trying to over-analyze the meaning. That summation at the end serves as a simple and succinctly stated evaluation:

“If we construe infinity as the afterlife, then it must be a path, yet it could still be a cycle of creation of man and woman infinitely coming together to continue to create more men and women who are doomed to birth, death and infinity on their own direct paths.”

Here’s the preface and the theme song …it doesn’t sound as chilling as I remember it from decades ago:

http://timstvshowcase.com/bencasey.wav

Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 AM

Scir, I just listened to your audio link. Boy does that go back!! Where do you get such things?!

Listen, Elder Of The Tribe, I'm still wondering what prompted you to spend the energy of your being on this in the first place, and I'm thinkin' maybe the Universe is urging you to consider your infinity... I don't agree that we're "doomed", as that author wrote, to do life, death, paths, rebirth. Nothing "doomed" about it, I think. The earth school is a kick! Don't you think this is the place of sensory joy, and that is glorious fun?

In any event, happy ∞ to you :-)

Last edited by allforcats; 01-12-2008 at 12:49 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 05:54 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Just a little tidbit from me...

I have no idea what that show is... lol but, I have always been attracted to the word infinity...

Old 01-12-2008, 08:52 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
i THINK it was symbolic of the cycle of life or of the creation of the universe.......but then whadda I know....I didn't like whatzhizname.....

Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 PM

Me too, Robyn. I guess it does stem from that TV show. Like I’ve said, it was chilling for me to hear the word “infinity” spoken in almost a portentous manner. Consequently, I’ve contemplated the concept of infinity many times in my life since those teen years.

Infinity connotes to me the concept of being unbounded, endlessness, lasting forever, etc. It applies in many circumstances in life …from feelings one might have for another to the spiritual and religious beliefs we may hold. I don’t necessarily want this to turn into a philosophical discussion so I won’t elaborate too much here.

Yeah, allforcats, I think it was part of the ending (hopefully) to my mid-life crisis. Over-analyzing the cycle of “man, woman, birth, death, INFINITY” and especially the infinity part of a lot of things in my life was quite enlightening. The spiritual aspects of infinity actually predate the mathematical concept.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
Well, I heard that Chuck Norris counted to infinity-twice! It's a concept that can also be applied to my variations of cooking ground beef. Oh yeah, chicken too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics