Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:16 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times

Advertisements

[quote=bjh;38784790]Three years and four days ago the first Thursday Foodie Qs were asked and answered! ----> Today's Question, Thursday 08 March 2012

In tribute the Qs and stuff today are all food related.

Today's Foodie Questions:
What's your favorite food or dish with lemons?
lemon supreme pie

What's a recent food or bev that gave you brain freeze?
I don't get brain freeze. If you hold the cold object in your bare palm it will keep you from getting brain freeze.

You have a piece of garlic bread. What would you like with it?
cheese ravioli

How do you like mac n cheese or do you?
I can do without it

Build your own stirfry. What's in it?
Green peppers onions chicken and beef

Tell us something to have with bacon.
Wrap bake around brown sugar balls and deep fry them

Either/Or:
Chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken?
Brown gravy or white gravy?
Chicken parm or eggplant parm?

More Foodie Questions:
Do you like meringue or is it just keeping you from getting to the pie filling?
the only thing I like meringue on is lemon pie

What pie filling do you want today?
Coconut cream

Have you ever enjoyed a beverage from a Mason jar? If so, what?
----> Mason jar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I ate at a restaurant in Bowling Green where they served sweet tea in Mason jars.

Even if you're not a regular tea or coffee drinker,
Tell us anything about the best tea you've ever had.
Now how 'bout the best coffee?
the team mentioned above may have been the best the I had. I'm weird, I'd like my coffee a day old and at room temperature
Is there anything you add
to any food or bev to make it special?
I and hot sauce to a lot of things it reduces the salty taste

If you could visit any food related TV show, just to see it filmed or to appear if you like, which would you go to?don't know enough to answer

How did you learn whatever you know about preparing food?
my dad didn't go into work until 2 PM on Tuesdays on Tuesday morning he would make meals for the rest of the week and freeze them. When I didn't go to school I would help him in the kitchen.

What herbs or other flavor enhancers have you had mixed with butter?
I don't know why but I have never done this

What specialty foods would you like to shop for?
with all of the grocery stores around me I don't need to go to a specialty store

Have you had or would you try:
(If you've had, please tell us what you thought or how a food was prepared or any other tasty tidbits.)
Scones?
Scallops?
Andouille?
A frittata?
Savory watermelon salad?no
Peanut butter or squeezy cheese on celery sticks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
First, bjh, it is because of you that I went to the grocery store today. Yep, you and only you. I started reading the questions and decided I needed more groceries. Thank you, thank you.

What's your favorite food or dish with lemons?

Salmon

What's a recent food or bev that gave you brain freeze?

A frosty.

You have a piece of garlic bread. What would you like with it?

Lasagna and lots of it.

How do you like mac n cheese or do you?

I don't care for it but when I eat it I like it with bacon bits.

Build your own stirfry. What's in it?

Shrimp, cabbage, baby kale.

Tell us something to have with bacon.

Eggs over easy.

Either/Or:
Brown gravy or white gravy?

More Foodie Questions:
Do you like meringue or is it just keeping you from getting to the pie filling?

I like it.

What pie filling do you want today?

Pumpkin.

Have you ever enjoyed a beverage from a Mason jar? If so, what?
---->
Mason jar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sweetened iced tea.

Tell us anything about the best tea you've ever had. In Scotland. That's where I first drank hot tea.
Now how 'bout the best coffee? The coffee I am drinking right now. San Francisco Bay brand.

to any food or bev to make it special?
I add tomato juice to beer. I drink that about once a year.

If you could visit any food related TV show, just to see it filmed or to appear if you like, which would you go to? "The Chew." They have so much fun and make cooking easy.

How did you learn whatever you know about preparing food?

From various friends over the years.

What herbs or other flavor enhancers have you had mixed with butter?

Cumin, garlic.

What specialty foods would you like to shop for?

Jewish Rye Bread. It's hard to find in these parts.

(If you've had, please tell us what you thought or how a food was prepared or any other tasty tidbits.)
Scones? Buttery scones just melt in your mouth.
Scallops? I love scallops in garlic sauce.
Andouille? I don't care for sausage of any kind.
A frittata? OMG! Gimme that frittata.
Savory watermelon salad?
Peanut butter or squeezy cheese on celery sticks?

Today in Foodie History :
1365 University of Vienna founded (Schnitzel and strudel for everyone!)
1884 Mississippi established 1st US state college for women (BBQ and coleslaw for everyone!)
1894 1st Coca Cola bottling in Vicksburg, Mississippi, previously only mixed to order at soda fountains
1901 Scottish born steel magnate Andrew Carnegie granted New York City $5.2 million to build 65 libraries.
--$5.2 million equals more than 120 million in 2015 dollars.
--In his lifetime Carnegie gave over a billion in today's dollars to build more than 3000 libraries in various countries.
--(Many grateful bookworms enjoyed a snack ~ while reading their books. )
1912 American version of Girl Scouts founded in Savannah, Georgia, leading to lots of cookies later on
1913 Future capital of Australia officially named Canberra, which kinda sounds like the word cranberry
1994 Church of England ordained first female priests (Tea and scones for everyone!)
1999 Former Warsaw Pact members the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland join NATO (Beer and sausage for everyone!)

Today's Quote:
"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."
~George Bernard Shaw, playwright
Thinking about it I have to agree.

Today’s Word:
victual [VIT-l] noun
victuals, food supplies; provisions. Pronunciation spelling: vittles.

Today Is:
Baked Scallops Day Yummy
Milky Way Day, not the stars

This Week Includes:
Agriculture Week

March Includes:
Fresh Celery Month
Noodle Month
Veggie Month, UK

Today's Foodie Picture:
High school lunch, Virginia 1943.

US government photo, in the public domain.
In each life some toast must fall. Here's hoping yours lands butter side up. Have a delicious Thursday! You, too, bjh.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:41 PM

27,342 posts, read 27,395,534 times
My favourite food with lemon? Theres lemon pie and lemon cake.
Garlic bread with pasta sauce, yum~~~
When it comes it mac and cheese, how about home made, baked in the oven with bacon bits?
Ill take the chicken fried steak with white gravy. And eggplant parm.
I used to drink sweet tea or Coke from a mason jar, there was a bar back in WI where they served drinks from one. Chilled!
Happy Thursday everyone~~~

Old 03-12-2015, 10:07 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
What's your favorite food or dish with lemons? lemon pie

What's a recent food or bev that gave you brain freeze? a slushie drink

You have a piece of garlic bread. What would you like with it? I like some of the suggestions like steak and a salad. I was only gonna say lasagna. Something to ask about next visit to a steak house.

How do you like mac n cheese or do you? baked in a dish so the top gets crunchy

Build your own stirfry. What's in it? chicken, celery, carrots, snow peas, basil

Tell us something to have with bacon. If I had some bacon right now, I'd like it on pizza.

Either/Or:
Brown gravy or white gravy? I could be wrong, but brown gravy has more meat juices and white ahs more flour.

More Foodie Questions:
Do you like meringue or is it just keeping you from getting to the pie filling? I don't see the point of meringue. Not much flavor imo. Sorry meringue lovers. Otoh I like so called icebox pies that have more of a Cool Whip type topping.

What pie filling do you want today? chocolate cream, please!

Have you ever enjoyed a beverage from a Mason jar? If so, what? Yep, mostly tea, sometimes soda. Or I have put a jar like glass with a handle inthe freezer partway filled with soda to make a homemade slushie type drink. Can't be a diet drink though. Those freeze like a solid rock. Sugar freezes in crystals which means you can eat the results with a spoon.

Tell us anything about the best tea you've ever had. A cup of hot tea with sugar and a bit of milk, when I still drank milk.
Now how 'bout the best coffee? Coffee with a dish of ice cream.

to any food or bev to make it special? Parmesan to spaghetti sauce. Bit of cola to orange tea.

If you could visit any food related TV show, just to see it filmed or to appear if you like, which would you go to? One of the Anthony Bourdain shows. I'd like to fly into a city or country and sample it's best food.

How did you learn whatever you know about preparing food? Some by watching and doing as a kid. Then by just jumping in or trying recipes.

What herbs or other flavor enhancers have you had mixed with butter? Lots of creative answers! I'll have to try some of these.

What specialty foods would you like to shop for? I'd like to go to the mothership of food places, Paris. I want to browse the cheese, candy, and pastry shops. And many more.

Scones? Nope, not even in England.
Scallops? Don't think I ever have.
Andouille? Ditto.
A frittata? Nope, but I'd gladly try.
Savory watermelon salad? Finally one I can say yes too. It was at a restaurant and looked like a tomato dish. But it was an incredibly good watermelon salad.
Peanut butter or squeezy cheese on celery sticks? Yes to both.

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!

Old 03-13-2015, 02:31 AM

16,668 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Oops- missed this QOTD.

The only real comment I have is that we have a reasonable selection of herbs growing inside and out.

Had butter with parsley on cod last night- that was yummy.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:33 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
Default Okay, I'll bite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Three years and four days ago the first Thursday Foodie Qs were asked and answered! ----> Today's Question, Thursday 08 March 2012

In tribute the Qs and stuff today are all food related.

What's your favorite food or dish with lemons? Sauteed green beans w/ a spritz of lemon juice

What's a recent food or bev that gave you brain freeze? Can't recall

You have a piece of garlic bread. What would you like with it? Clean up my bowl of chili

How do you like mac n cheese or do you? With a side of coleslaw

Build your own stirfry. What's in it? I do this a lot with leftovers; let's see, some chicken or ham, rice, peas, sliced carrot, onion, garlic, green olives, pimientos, roasted red pepper, etc.

Tell us something to have with bacon. lettuce, tomato, on toast

Either/Or:
Chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken? Yes.
Brown gravy or white gravy? Brown
Chicken parm or eggplant parm? Chicken parmesan please.

More Foodie Questions:
Do you like meringue or is it just keeping you from getting to the pie filling? It gets in the way.

What pie filling do you want today? Apple.

Have you ever enjoyed a beverage from a Mason jar? If so, what? Yes, some good homemade dandelion wine.
----> Mason jar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tell us anything about the best tea you've ever had. Peppermint tea - Mmmmm, mmmm.
Now how 'bout the best coffee? Anything that's hot and ready when I get up is the best.

Is there anything you add to any food or bev to make it special? A pinch of brown sugar in my barbeque beef; also I like to add chicken stock when I cook dry beans.

If you could visit any food related TV show, just to see it filmed or to appear if you like, which would you go to? I'd visit Rachael Ray's show.

How did you learn whatever you know about preparing food? Much from trial and error, but some from my former mother-in-law, who was an absolute gem. I wish I could've kept her when I returned her son.

What herbs or other flavor enhancers have you had mixed with butter? Garlic, chives

What specialty foods would you like to shop for? I like specialty sauces. Recently bought some oyster sauce, now just have to find a recipe for it.

Scones? Had. Liked. Will do again.
Scallops? Had quite a while ago. Will do again.
Andouille? No.
A frittata? Once or twice. Might try again.
Savory watermelon salad? No.
Peanut butter or squeezy cheese on celery sticks? Oh, pb once in a great while.

Today in Foodie History :
1365 University of Vienna founded (Schnitzel and strudel for everyone!) I'm in!
1884 Mississippi established 1st US state college for women (BBQ and coleslaw for everyone!)
1894 1st Coca Cola bottling in Vicksburg, Mississippi, previously only mixed to order at soda fountains
1901 Scottish born steel magnate Andrew Carnegie granted New York City $5.2 million to build 65 libraries.
--$5.2 million equals more than 120 million in 2015 dollars.
--In his lifetime Carnegie gave over a billion in today's dollars to build more than 3000 libraries in various countries.
--(Many grateful bookworms enjoyed a snack ~ while reading their books. )
1912 American version of Girl Scouts founded in Savannah, Georgia, leading to lots of cookies later on
1913 Future capital of Australia officially named Canberra, which kinda sounds like the word cranberry
1994 Church of England ordained first female priests (Tea and scones for everyone!)
1999 Former Warsaw Pact members the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland join NATO (Beer and sausage for everyone!) I'm in!

Today's Quote:
"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."
~George Bernard Shaw, playwright

Today’s Word:
victual [VIT-l] noun
victuals, food supplies; provisions. Pronunciation spelling: vittles.

Today Is:
Baked Scallops Day
Milky Way Day, not the stars

This Week Includes:
Agriculture Week

March Includes:
Fresh Celery Month
Noodle Month
Veggie Month, UK

Today's Foodie Picture:
High school lunch, Virginia 1943.

US government photo, in the public domain.
In each life some toast must fall. Here's hoping yours lands butter side up. Have a delicious Thursday!
Noodle month - I celebrate that all year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics