Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM

11,332 posts, read 2,905,547 times

Advertisements

Today's (Not-So) Historic Questions:
Tell us any experience during your young years that made you feel like a grown up. Finally driving a car on my own.

Do you have a drawer, cabinet/cupboard or a plastic bag that is full of plastic bags? Yes, under the sink. lol

What are/were your favorite TV game shows? Wheel of Fortune, Password, Match Game, $25,000 Pyramid

When was the last time you spoke to your parents? Last month.

Just 10 years ago today the first youtube video was posted! Now look how many there are!
So please recommend a youtube video or channel. Almost anything by BuzzFeed. They have more than one channel. This is the main one. https://www.youtube.com/user/BuzzFeedVideo
You can post a name instead of an actual vid or link.
Or skip this if you don't know how or don't care to.

Can you identify clouds by their type ~ you know cirrus, cumulus and all that? No, I never remember them.

Rain, snow, dust, fog. Tell us anything about driving or riding when there was poor visibility.
It amazes me how some people go faster than they can possibly see. Aren't' they worried about having a wreck?

Foodie Questions:
Have you tried gluten free foods or similar? If so, what did you think or would you try them? No.

Food(s) you were pleasantly surprised freeze well? Hmm, bread, cracked eggs in an ice cube tray.

Any that didn't freeze so well? Lettuce!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:32 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,719,220 times
[quote=bjh;39331544]Greetings, fellow earthlings. Here are . . .

Tell us any experience during your young years that made you feel like a grown up.
Well having been raised by dysfunctional alcoholics didn't give me much of a childhood. I was forced to grow up way before I was ready. Sometimes I felt like the parent and my parents immature idiots.
Do you have a drawer, cabinet/cupboard or a plastic bag that is full of plastic bags?
Yes I have them in the cabinet under the sink for poo poo patrol.
What are/were your favorite TV game shows?
TV shows: A Haunting (the shorties love anything scary now ) Everybody Loves Raymond, The Simpsons and just the news. Game shows
When was the last time you spoke to your parents?
Decades ago. They both died young from all that drinking.
Just 10 years ago today the first youtube video was posted! Now look how many there are!
So please recommend a youtube video or channel.
I love YouTube and I was able to pick our room in the castle by watching a tour of Dalhousie castle. You can find everything on YouTube. Mary Queen of Scots was our second choice because the one we wanted was already booked.
Can you identify clouds by their type ~ you know cirrus, cumulus and all that?
Yes. Momatous clouds are amongst my favorites. I like the ones with hooks coming down too. Seeing an actual tornado is on my bucket list. I've come close a couple of times.
Rain, snow, dust, fog. Tell us anything about driving or riding when there was poor visibility.
Just recently when I was coming back from Madison after visiting John. The rain was so strong and moving sideways. You couldn't see two feet in front of you. I remember being with the ex in California and the fog was so thick it was way too dangerous to be driving. It was very scary. Driving home at 5am after our last blizzard was an adventure too. So was driving back to work at 230pm.

Foodie Questions:
Have you tried gluten free foods or similar? If so, what did you think or would you try them?
Yes Lucille gave me some cookies. They were alright.
Food(s) you were pleasantly surprised freeze well?
Turkey, but not for very long and home made mostaccioli.
Any that didn't freeze so well?
Anything with cooked beef.

Today in History:
1516 Beer history: The Bayerische Reinheitsgebot, aka Bavarian Purity Law, established regulations for brewers
1564 English playwright and poet William Shakespeare born
1597 The Merry Wives of Windsor premiered, with Queen Elizabeth I in attendance
1616 English playwright and poet William Shakespeare died aged 52
1789 President-elect George Washington moved to then capital of NY
1867 Queen Victoria & Napoleon III both turned down plans for a channel tunnel between Britain and France
1910 President Theodore Roosevelt made famous "The Man in the Arena" speech
---> Citizenship in a Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1914 1st baseball game at Wrigley Field in Chicago, then known as Weeghman Park
1927 Cardiff City defeated Arsenal in the FA Cup Final, only time won by a team not based in England
1985 Coca-Cola introduced New Coke, for 3 months anyway, before bringing back the original
2005 1st YouTube video uploaded, titled "Me at the zoo." 19 seconds long, it currently has over 19 million views

Today's Slightly Amusing Quote:
"Tis an ill cook that cannot lick his own fingers."
~William Shakespeare, in Romeo and Juliet

Today’s Shakespearean Word:
quaff [kwof, kwaf, kwawf] verb
to drink a beverage, especially an intoxicating one, copiously and with hearty enjoyment,
as in quaffing a flagon of ale

Today Includes:
Cherry Cheesecake Day
English Language Day
Take Our Daughters & Sons to Work Day
Talk Like Shakespeare Day
World Book & Copyright Day

This Week Includes:
Administrative Professionals Week
International Wildlife Film Week
Pet ID Week, get 'em microchipped Yes they all are but we had Howie scanned when we got Joe chipped and the shelter never transferred him over to our address.
Spring Astronomy Week

Today's Picture:
April flowers along Constitution Hill in London, across the street from Buckingham Palace, 2006.

Made publicly available by photographer Gryffindor on commons.wikimedia.org

Have a bloomin' great Thursday!
Thanks bjh you too!

I'm so happy it's Thursday because I'm taking 4 days off starting tomorrow. I need some mental health days. That and we have Book of Mormon tickets for Saturday, a play tomorrow, and John's work wife and husband are coming for dinner on Sunday.

Last edited by animalcrazy; 04-23-2015 at 11:41 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM

24,298 posts, read 25,802,784 times
Tell us any experience during your young years that made you feel like a grown up.
Getting your 1st drivers license and car was a bigiee for me.

Do you have a drawer, cabinet/cupboard or a plastic bag that is full of plastic bags?
We do, some get re-used, the rest get re-cycled.

The Gong Show, The Dating Game, The Newlywed Game.

Many years ago as they have both passed on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DQR5xrblVo

Nope

Foodie Questions:
Have you tried gluten free foods or similar? If so, what did you think or would you try them?

Bread

Lettuce, cabbage and bell peppers.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:52 AM

27,243 posts, read 27,307,176 times
Feeling like a grown up, I'd probably say the first time cooking supper. From that point on, I did all the meals.
Sorry, this girl doesn't do tv game shows.
Last time I spoke to my dad was the evening her passed away. :-(
I don't care about gluten free, sugar free, sodium free, give me the real thing, like back in the old days......I'm not getting started on that topic in here. :-)
Happy Thursday everyone~~

Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,970,417 times

Don't recall. Was too busy playing when I was still a pup.

Yes to all of the above

Was never into TV game shows

My dad passed in 2001 and my mom in 2011. Whenever I happen to be in the area where they are buried in Montana I stop and chat. Has been about a year and a half since the last time.

Me thinks I will skip this one.

I can. However I usually identify clouds as 'lots of clouds' or 'a few clouds'.

I remember driving 150 miles to Spokane WA in the fog. Took about 8 hours.

Foodie Questions:

I have not gone out of my way to try them. I find that the foods with the most bad things in them taste the best.

Green peas

Milk.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:05 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

59,762 posts, read 30,198,017 times
I'm either early or late. Can't figure out which!

Getting a part-time job after school because I earned my own money.

Yep, a bag of bags. Some of you reminded us of Pam's tissue box tip. I'll have to snag the next one that goes empty.

Jeopardy! Family Feud when it was with Richard Dawson. Re-runs of What's My Line on GSN.

About a week ago.

Here's a really good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAQxNVQF_I0

Yes, of course, elephant clouds, and all that. The technical names? I don't know 'em. Prolly a good website out there with photos and descriptions.

When I worked as a truck driver you had to be ready for people who will come to a dead stop on the highway in heavy rain. No clue why they don't just ease over onto the shoulder. You had to get around them as quickly as you could or risk getting rear-ended yourself.

Foodie Questions:
I haven't but wanted to know your opinions. Thanks!

We've had good luck freezing bread loaves that would have spoiled before getting used up otherwise.

But not sopapillas. Thawed they just tasted like greasy bread, which they are.

Wishing all a happy weekend and an uneventful storm season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics