Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:
How long have you been signing your name the way you currently do (when putting your signature on documents) ? All my life.
Is it in cursive/longhand script ? Curves all over the place.
LINK ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursive
Would someone-who didn’t know your name-be able to read/decipher your signature ? Probably/maybe/depends.
Do you know how to write/take notes using shorthand ? Only loooooong hand.
LINK ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorthand

Extra Credit:
If your internet device uses bookmarks (links you save, or add to favorites), do you ever get around to looking at them again ? Over and over daily.
If so, do you sort through & check which links no longer work/have changed URLs ? Yep.
which ones don’t interest you anymore ? Yep.
or which ones have out-of-date/obsolete information ? Yep.
Do you back up/copy/export bookmarks, in case of a digital mishap & you need to retrieve/restore them ? Nope.

Bonus:
you can pick whichever size/scale region you wish-
How many years have you lived in your state, province, borough, county, on your island or continent (or other) ? This state 47+ years, state of mind can't remember.
Do you live near a border, such as that of another state (outside U.S., pick a type of boundary that is relevant there) ? 2 hours away border & state.
Do you regularly visit a cross-border place in order to transact business or visit people ? Visit in another state.
Is there sales tax where you live ? A “local option” (within a city/town) sales tax ? A “rooms & meals” tax ? Yes, yes and no.

Just for Fun:
Do you wear outer clothing layers/items (such as sweaters) more than once before laundering them ? Sometimes it depends on the situation.

Happy day to you too Cloven, nice job on the amazing maze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:36 AM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
Today’s Question:
How long have you been signing your name the way you currently do (when putting your signature on documents) ? Many, many years
Is it in cursive/longhand script ? Yes

Would someone-who didn’t know your name-be able to read/decipher your signature ? Yes
Do you know how to write/take notes using shorthand ?
I took shorthand in school, but I don't remember any of it because I haven't used it at all since then.

Extra Credit:
If your internet device uses bookmarks (links you save, or add to favorites), do you ever get around to looking at them again ? Periodically
If so, do you sort through & check which links no longer work/have changed URLs ? Yes
which ones don’t interest you anymore ? There are some I have no idea why I bookmarked them to begin with.
or which ones have out-of-date/obsolete information ? Yes
Do you back up/copy/export bookmarks, in case of a digital mishap & you need to retrieve/restore them ? Nope

Bonus:
How many years have you lived in your state, province, borough, county, on your island or continent (or other) ? I was born and raised in this state. I've lived here all my life with the exception of the 7 years I was married.
Do you live near a border, such as that of another state (outside U.S., pick a type of boundary that is relevant there) ? Yes. I live 30 minutes from the NM/TX state line/
Do you regularly visit a cross-border place in order to transact business or visit people ? No
Is there sales tax where you live ? A “local option” (within a city/town) sales tax ? A “rooms & meals” tax ? Yes, there is a sales tax

Just for Fun:
Do you wear outer clothing layers/items (such as sweaters) more than once before laundering them ? Yes.

Thanks for the questions, cloven. Happy Monday everyone.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:25 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
[quote=cloven;41950014][color=DarkRed][b]Happy Monday November 16, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
How long have you been signing your name the way you currently do (when putting your signature on documents) ?
5 years
Is it in cursive/longhand script ?
scribble

Would someone-who didn’t know your name-be able to read/decipher your signature ?
No

no

If your internet device uses bookmarks (links you save, or add to favorites), do you ever get around to looking at them again ?
yes
If so, do you sort through & check which links no longer work/have changed URLs ?
no
which ones don’t interest you anymore ?
N/A
or which ones have out-of-date/obsolete information ?
N/A
I am starting out with a new lap top .
long story.
Do you back up/copy/export bookmarks, in case of a digital mishap & you need to retrieve/restore them ?
no
Bonus:
How many years have you lived in your state, province, borough, county, on your island or continent (or other) ?
65 years+
Do you live near a border, such as that of another state (outside U.S., pick a type of boundary that is relevant there) ?
yes
Do you regularly visit a cross-border place in order to transact business or visit people ?
no
Is there sales tax where you live ?
yes
A “local option” (within a city/town) sales tax ? A “rooms & meals” tax ?
yes
Just for Fun:
Do you wear outer clothing layers/items (such as sweaters) more than once before laundering them ?
you actually launder them???
I buy my under ware 12 at a time . the sales man insisted on 7 saying , monday tuesday wednesday Thursday friday saturday sunday.
I corrected him with; January February ,March April ,May , June ,July ,August, September, October November December.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:37 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
Today’s Question:
How long have you been signing your name the way you currently do (when putting your signature on documents) ?
Since about age 15, more or less (27 yrs. ago).
Is it in cursive/longhand script ? Yes, albeit modified with my own idiosyncrasies.

Would someone-who didn’t know your name-be able to read/decipher your signature ?
Somewhat, maybe not quite all the letters.

Nope

Extra Credit:
If your internet device uses bookmarks (links you save, or add to favorites), do you ever get around to looking at them again ?
Yes to a few, though most I do not.
If so, do you sort through & check which links no longer work/have changed URLs ?
Every once in a great while.
which ones don’t interest you anymore ? (see previous answer)
(see previous answer)
Do you back up/copy/export bookmarks, in case of a digital mishap & you need to retrieve/restore them ?
Yes, though not as often as I feel I should-but since I did it recently, then I feel better about all that.

Bonus:
How many years have you lived in your state, province, borough, county, on your island or continent (or other) ?
End of this month, it'll be 20 yrs. exactly.
Do you live near a border, such as that of another state (outside U.S., pick a type of boundary that is relevant there) ?
Yes, a couple.
Do you regularly visit a cross-border place in order to transact business or visit people ?
Is there sales tax where you live ? Yup
A “local option” (within a city/town) sales tax ? In other parts of state, though not in my town (yet).
A “rooms & meals” tax ? Yup, 'fraid so.

Just for Fun:
Do you wear outer clothing layers/items (such as sweaters) more than once before laundering them ?

Old 11-16-2015, 07:26 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Signing my name like it is now, I think for over 30 years now. Sorry I can't remember the exact date.
I'm sure my writing is pretty legible. :-)
I don't live on or near a border, I'm in the middle of a desert.
Yes I wear my jeans 2, sometimes 3 days in a row for work. But my shirts have to change every day.
Have a great evening~~~

Old 11-16-2015, 08:09 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Today’s Question:
How long have you been signing your name the way you currently do (when putting your signature on documents)? Since about 4th grade, when I first signed my name on something important - a social security card.
Is it in cursive/longhand script? Yes.
Would someone-who didn’t know your name-be able to read/decipher your signature? Yes. My signature is very legible.
Do you know how to write/take notes using shorthand? No. I briefly knew a little bit of Gregg Shorthand but didn't retain it because I didn't need to. I make up my own abbreviations if I want to take notes quickly.

Extra Credit:
If your internet device uses bookmarks (links you save, or add to favorites), do you ever get around to looking at them again? I've never used a bookmark on my PC, which is my only access to the Internet.
If so, do you sort through & check which links no longer work/have changed URLs? N/A
which ones don’t interest you anymore? N/A
or which ones have out-of-date/obsolete information? N/A
Do you back up/copy/export bookmarks, in case of a digital mishap & you need to retrieve/restore them? N/A

Bonus:
How many years have you lived in your state, province, borough, county, on your island or continent (or other)? I've lived in NW Indiana for my entire life (61 years), except for about 8 months in 1981 when I moved out of state, didn't find my fortune, and moved back.
Do you live near a border, such as that of another state (outside U.S., pick a type of boundary that is relevant there)? Yes. I live in the NW corner of Indiana, just a stone's throw from Chicago, Illinois. My town is also less than an hour from the SW corner of Michigan.
Do you regularly visit a cross-border place in order to transact business or visit people? Yes, I go to both IL and MI fairly often.
Is there sales tax where you live? Yes. It's 7% on non-food items; no tax on food. The exception is that the 7% sales tax is charged at restaurants. A “local option” (within a city/town) sales tax? Not yet. A “rooms & meals” tax? I'm not sure what this means.

Just for Fun:
Do you wear outer clothing layers/items (such as sweaters) more than once before laundering them? Yes.

Today’s Word:
bathos /ˈbāTHäs/ (n.): Anticlimactic effect, often in literature.
A stark contrast (whether intended or inadvertent) between styles or tones (such as the refined and the vulgar) within a work.
Interesting word.

Today Is:
International Day for Tolerance
National Fast Food Day
National Button Day I wore a shirt today which had buttons down the front and two buttons on each cuff.
-and the start to-
American Education Week I done got edjucated a long tym ago.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-16-2015 at 08:24 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 09:40 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Happy Monday November 16, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
How long have you been signing your name the way you currently do (when putting your signature on documents) ? LONG time, although some of my letters took on different shapes in recent years.
Is it in cursive/longhand script ? Yes, and a little fancy.
Would someone-who didn’t know your name-be able to read/decipher your signature ? You bet'cha!
Do you know how to write/take notes using shorthand ? Nope.

Extra Credit:
If your internet device uses bookmarks (links you save, or add to favorites), do you ever get around to looking at them again ? I'd say half 'n' half. But I have a long list of favorites.
If so, do you sort through & check which links no longer work/have changed URLs ? LOL!! I did that just a few nights ago.
which ones don’t interest you anymore ? Only a few.
Do you back up/copy/export bookmarks, in case of a digital mishap & you need to retrieve/restore them ? Nah.

Bonus:
How many years have you lived in your state, province, borough, county, on your island or continent (or other) ? 37 years here. 23 years in California, and 3 in Texas.
Do you live near a border, such as that of another state (outside U.S., pick a type of boundary that is relevant there) ? Yes, to Washington.
Do you regularly visit a cross-border place in order to transact business or visit people ? No.
Is there sales tax where you live ? A “local option” (within a city/town) sales tax ? A “rooms & meals” tax ? No sales tax in Oregon. I believe hotel taxes are city taxes/fees.

Just for Fun:
Do you wear outer clothing layers/items (such as sweaters) more than once before laundering them ? Yes, unless I visibly soil it.

1970: Birth of actress Martha Plimpton Always liked her name. It's so.... English!

Today Is:
International Day for Tolerance I ain't feelin' it!

Thought for the Day: Good one!
“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”
-John Adams

Have a brilliant start to your week, C-D peeps.
Thanks, Cloven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics