Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:01 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times

Advertisements

It's Thursday in eastern Canada. That's close enough for me! So here are . . .

Today's Neighborly Questions:
Do you ever sit out on your porch/balcony or at a window and watch the sunrise or sunset? O'Yes

What do you remember about the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons? Boris & Natasha reminds me of my last bosses... the bosses brother was Bullwinkle

Have you known of anyone who "lost" their car in a parking lot or garage? I lost my recently.. parked walked into the local Drug Store.. walk out and some one stole my car... then the clerk said looking for your car... < needs a funnel on top.. Why yes pointing towards door number #2 look out there... O'sh

What kind of business do you think looks like it would be fun to run or to work for? Tin Smith

What might (or did) someone say to anyone in public who stared at them? Did you ... did you sniff sniff

Are you ever surprised by the friends or company some people keep? Details, if you have them.
Now get real... a over stuffed scarecrow.. and cowardly lion.. skipping and holding hands...

Foodie Questions:
Do you eat sunflowers seeds, pistachios or similar snacky foods? Love those pink pistachio .. and Ho Ho's and Ring Dings and moon pies and RC Coca-Cola

At least two foods that rhyme, whether they are normally eaten together or not: Yams and Hams.. Beans and Burgers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 10:04 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Typical AZ sunset from my back yard/dock area...
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Do you ever sit out on your porch/balcony or at a window and watch the sunrise or sunset?

No.

What do you remember about the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons?

Snidely Whiplash
Boris and Natasha.
Dudley DoRight

I loved that show.

Have you known of anyone who "lost" their car in a parking lot or garage?

Yeah, that would be me.

What kind of business do you think looks like it would be fun to run or to work for?

Bookstore.

What might (or did) someone say to anyone in public who stared at them?

Best advice, IMO: Say nothing.

Are you ever surprised by the friends or company some people keep? Details, if you have them.

No really. I'm a screaming liberal and I don't care who hangs out with whom.

Foodie Questions:
Do you eat sunflowers seeds, pistachios or similar snacky foods?

Yes.

At least two foods that rhyme, whether they are normally eaten together or not:

Peas and cheese.

Today in History:
1493 Christopher Columbus made landfall at the island of Puerto Rico on his 2nd trip to the Caribbean
1816 Warsaw University established in Poland.
1861 Julia Ward Howe wrote down the lyrics to "Battle Hymn of the Republic"
1881 A meteorite landed near the village of Grossliebenthal, southwest of Odessa, Ukraine
1954 Télé Monte Carlo, Europe's oldest private television channel, launched by Prince Rainier III
1959 Last "Edsel" car manufactured by Ford Motor Company
1990 Pop group "Milli Vanilli" lost Grammy after it's learned they did not sing on the awarded album
1998 Vincent van Gogh's "Portrait of the Artist Without Beard" sold for 71.5 million USD

Today's Bookish Quote:
"I have this theory that it is the dream of most educated people to own or work in a bookstore."
~ Megan Coughlin, author

Today’s Word:
lea [lee, ley] Also, ley.
noun:" a tract of open ground, especially grassland; meadow.
adjective: untilled; fallow.
Origin: before 900; Middle English lege, lei, Old English leah;
cognate with Old High German loh, dialectal Dutch loo (as in Waterloo), akin to Latin lucus

Today Includes:
Bundt Cake Day
Great American Smokeout, quitting tobacco
Rocky and Bullwinkle Day

This Week Includes:
Book Awards Week
Global Entrepreneurship Week

Today's Nostalgia Picture:
"Fish in a dish" with relish.
That's what was on the menu when a mom and her teens sat down to dinner, 1940 Utah.

US government photo, in the public domain

Relish your Thursday!

Once again you have posted a bodacious photo, bjh. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:28 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Do you ever sit out on your porch/balcony or at a window and watch the sunrise or sunset?

When I travel.

Everything! I have the complete DVD set of the show. Loved this show when it was Rocky and His Friends and when it was The Bullwinkle Show. Loved Fractured Fairytales and Dudley Do-Right, too.

Have you known of anyone who "lost" their car in a parking lot or garage? Yes, me.

What kind of business do you think looks like it would be fun to run or to work for?

Private Investigator

Beats me. I probably wouldn't notice. And if it was me being stared at I would be afraid that they were another person who knows who I am but I don't remember them and that's embarrassing.

Are you ever surprised by the friends or company some people keep? No

Foodie Questions:

When I feed the birds peanuts, I have some myself.

potatoes and tomatoes, cheese and peas

Old 11-18-2015, 11:49 PM

21,540 posts, read 8,722,464 times
No, but sometimes I stand outside on the deck and watch the sunset.("Sunrise" is a completely unknown phenomenon to us night owls.)
It was funny then, but it's even funnier now because of the subversive social commentary that went way over my head as a kid.
Have you known of anyone who "lost" their car in a parking lot or garage?
Yes, me! I once had to pay an overtime parking charge because it took me so long to find my car, the prepaid ticket had expired.
A bookstore
Hello
Yes, some really nice people I know are married to jerks.

Foodie Questions:
Yes, I love all kinds of nuts and seeds. I must have been a squirrel in my former life.
Pickles
Popsicles

Enchiladas
Tostadas

Steak
Cake

Thanks, bjh!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:17 AM

38,882 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Do you ever sit out on your porch/balcony or at a window and watch the sunrise or sunset? No.

What do you remember about the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons? Whenever Bullwinkle pulled a rabbit out of his hat, it never worked. I also remember Boris and Natasha, the Russian "spies."

Have you known of anyone who "lost" their car in a parking lot or garage? I've done that a couple of times.

What kind of business do you think looks like it would be fun to run or to work for? Even though I'm not a coffee drinker, a coffee house with comfy furniture where people can relax with their beverages and read or mingle with others. I also think a doggy daycare would be fun.

What might (or did) someone say to anyone in public who stared at them? A friend of mine back in high school told me a story of where a lady was staring at him when he was out eating or shopping. He finally had enough and asked her, "What the f*** do you want?" I don't remember what the lady's response was, if any.

Are you ever surprised by the friends or company some people keep? Details, if you have them. I worked with a lady about 10 years ago who married a guy 17 years her senior. To me, I thought they were very mismatched, but when I watched them interact, I could tell they really loved each other.

Foodie Questions:
Do you eat sunflowers seeds, pistachios or similar snacky foods? No, not a fan of seedy snacks.

Ham and spam
Rice and spice
Fish and relish

Have a super Thursday.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:29 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Do you ever sit out on your porch/balcony or at a window and watch the sunrise or sunset? Sure! Also watched a beautiful lightning storm over the river - impressive and exciting!

What do you remember about the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons? Their distinct voices. Rocky's pilot's hat. Something about Boris and Natasha.

Have you known of anyone who "lost" their car in a parking lot or garage? Me, twice,in parking garages, when I lived in LA. I always know where I am outside, but inside buildings or structures I get easily lost. The first time I did this it was funny, but the second time it was just very aggravating.

What kind of business do you think looks like it would be fun to run or to work for? I've always thought it would be fun to work for a Madam Toussauds wax museum or a Ripleys (if those still exist.)

What might (or did) someone say to anyone in public who stared at them? "Like what you see?"

Sure. It's more weird why some couples are together. The wife of one couple I know is a complete hypochondriac. Recently she not only got a rabies shot for herself for no good reason but she made her husband get one too. She's always telling him what to do and she makes him do a lot of physical labor for her. He's much younger than she is, and sort of good looking, and seems nice. Why on earth would he be with her??

Foodie Questions:
Do you eat sunflowers seeds, pistachios or similar snacky foods? I SO love pistachios, and am lazy and get the kind already shelled and salted. Ditto sunflower seeds, although I prefer them unsalted so I can put them in vegetable stirfrys and etc.

At least two foods that rhyme, whether they are normally eaten together or not: Kale Ale. (Somebody out there has probably already invented this.)

Thanks for the questions! Hope everyone is safe from the wild weather that's active in some parts of the country.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:54 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Heidy-ho to you!

Do you ever sit out on your porch/balcony or at a window and watch the sunrise or sunset? Yes the sunset. Some mornings at work I am scheduled in a particular building where there are large windows and the sunrises are just amazing. I never get tired of seeing a new day rise, nor a seeing a sunset.

What do you remember about the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons? One was a moose and the other was a I don't remember, a beaver??!

Have you known of anyone who "lost" their car in a parking lot or garage? yes, it was eventually found

What kind of business do you think looks like it would be fun to run or to work for? an airline

Are you ever surprised by the friends or company some people keep? Details, if you have them. yes

Foodie Questions:

At least two foods that rhyme, whether they are normally eaten together or not: Noodle / strudel

Today's Bookish Quote:
"I have this theory that it is the dream of most educated people to own or work in a bookstore."
~ Megan Coughlin, author I worked in a bookstore when I was much younger!

Today Includes:
Bundt Cake Day
Rocky and Bullwinkle Day

This Week Includes:
Book Awards Week

Have a delicious Thursday!

Old 11-19-2015, 01:33 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,466 times
It's Thursday in eastern Canada. That's close enough for me! So here are . . .

Do you ever sit out on your porch/balcony or at a window and watch the sunrise or sunset? no

What do you remember about the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons? what's that?

Have you known of anyone who "lost" their car in a parking lot or garage? yes

What kind of business do you think looks like it would be fun to run or to work for? a tattoo salon, a "suicide" (see the book and film for reference) shop, a restaurant, a bookstore, a mediatheque, a nightclub

What might (or did) someone say to anyone in public who stared at them? "Tu veux ma photo ?" (you want a picture of me ?)

Are you ever surprised by the friends or company some people keep? Details, if you have them. yes, i'm even surprised that people have "friends" at all

Foodie Questions:
Do you eat sunflowers seeds, pistachios or similar snacky foods? pistachios used to yes, also nuts

At least two foods that rhyme, whether they are normally eaten together or not: cookies smarties

Today's Bookish Quote:
~ Megan Coughlin, author

Relish your Thursday!

Old 11-19-2015, 04:37 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,724 times
Do you ever sit out on your porch/balcony or at a window and watch the sunrise or sunset? My house sits on a hill & has many windows facing east, so all I need do is sit in the living room to watch the sunrise. I also like watching how the hills look when the sun sets behind the house.

What do you remember about the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoons? Besides that Rocky was a flying squirrel, there were Boris Badenov & Natasha.

Have you known of anyone who "lost" their car in a parking lot or garage? A friend lost her car at the airport once. Just last weekend I saw an older lady walking around & around a parking garage looking for her car.

What kind of business do you think looks like it would be fun to run or to work for? Book/Music store

What might (or did) someone say to anyone in public who stared at them? Um......

Are you ever surprised by the friends or company some people keep? Details, if you have them. Can't think of anyone specifically, no.

Foodie Questions:
Do you eat sunflowers seeds, pistachios or similar snacky foods? Used to eat sunflower seeds, love cashews though I wouldn't be able to eat them now either.

At least two foods that rhyme, whether they are normally eaten together or not: fries & pies.....

Today's Bookish Quote:
~ Megan Coughlin, author Well, I guess I'm like most then.

Today’s Word:
lea [lee, ley] Also, ley.
noun:" a tract of open ground, especially grassland; meadow.
adjective: untilled; fallow.
Origin: before 900; Middle English lege, lei, Old English leah;
cognate with Old High German loh, dialectal Dutch loo (as in Waterloo), akin to Latin lucus

Today Includes:
Bundt Cake Day
Rocky and Bullwinkle Day

This Week Includes:
Book Awards Week

Today's Nostalgia Picture:
"Fish in a dish" with relish.
That's what was on the menu when a mom and her teens sat down to dinner, 1940 Utah.

US government photo, in the public domain Both my grandmothers wore aprons like the one the older lady is wearing.

Relish your Thursday! Rainy Thursday here. Thanks, bjh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics