U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 PM

5,648 posts, read 9,723,046 times
Default Competency Tests

Have you ever had to take a Competency Test before being hired to a new job? I have taken these tests three different times and had no problems....adding, subtracting, division, multiplying, sentence puncuation, spelling, alpha and numerical filing questions, yep the whole works. Do you think all (or more) company's should give this kind of testing before the interview/hiring process even starts? The wife and I do. The tests should especially be given to people who work with numbers or puncuation/spelling at their job (warehousing, stockroom, purchasing, inventory control, accounting, receiptionist, file clerks). I asked a guy where I work at what he thought would happen if the company we work for gave Competency Tests and he said, "over half of the people that work here wouldn't be here". Do Competency Tests "filter" people out and basically only the better/best will get the job. Does it give Human Resources a good "heads up" on which people to interview for certain jobs? I think that if company's want "good" educated people, they should give this test. If I had my own company, I sure would give this test!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 PM

8,192 posts, read 18,543,287 times
I have taken these kinds of tests.

I have an adjusted keystroke of 8002 per hour on the 10-key, 7985 on alpha numerics, and 35 wpm on straight typing.

One problem that I have with using these tests is that some people will flat out panic at the word TEST and not score as well as their abilities actually are. Another problem that I see is the potential for a quality employee not getting hired because of 1 point on a test.

I do agree that the hiring process could use some re-vamping.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:24 PM

What I forgot to mention, almost all Temp-Perm employment agencies do give these kinds of tests, plus data entry and typing tests to people who come to them for jobs. The testing these agencies give can be pretty comprehensive because that is what their clients (company's) want. These agencies don't just go by what is written on a resume', they actually want to see you use a computer, ten-key, do data entry and see just how fast/accurage your typing skills are. I remember one HR Manager told me, "people can put anything on a resume', true things, but also a lot not so true things sometimes. I have seen it all."

Old 11-17-2006, 03:09 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,675,973 times
At the company that I work for, everyone has to take a test and we do an evaluation process and rate the individual. The rating includes the test, experience, education, and interview. Some position will require a demostration on how to do sheetmetal work on aircraft or interpretation of electrical drawings.

For the individual to be considered to be hired must meet at least 6 points in our 10 point rating process. We try to evaluate and hire the most qualified individuals. So far this has worked out great. Our market is in the Aerospace/Military career fields for GOV contractors....

Old 11-17-2006, 03:34 PM

571 posts, read 1,695,607 times
I think there should be a competency test for parenting!

Old 11-17-2006, 04:22 PM

5,741 posts, read 13,914,076 times
I have taken tests when applying for state jobs. I always score well, but I personally don't think it can really predict if someone will do good on the job or not. It just shows if the person is a good test taker.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:10 PM

Like I said in my first Post, if a person is going to be working with numbers or sentences in any "way, shape or form" a person who passes the tests will at least tell the interviewer that they can add, subtract, multiply and divide which are essential things when it comes to jobs like Inventory Control, Accounting, Warehouse/Shipping & Recieving and Stockroom as well as some other important clerical jobs in a company. It may be surprising to a lot of people (it was to me in a way), how many people have a really rough time with math and puncuation, but they still wind up in important jobs that depend on those skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics