U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 AM

8,002 posts, read 13,185,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As for me, I do not hate anyone. We are all of a different color and should blend together like a melting pot of LOVE. LIKES is something else. I like a salesperson to give me a nice SMILE on greeting me and a NICE THANKYOU on completing our transaction. There are to many LIKES to post at this time. DISLIKES: Now this is a BIGGEE for me. I DISLIKE it when two men ar talking in Armenian in a local GROCERY produce dept. It should be in ENGLISH. Another is stores that advertise in a foreign language outside their store showing that they do not want my business. It should be in ENGLISH. Another is large stores that speak in a foreign language over the intercom spouting specials??? that I do not understand or will not buy as a result. It should be in ENGLISH. Another is dress code. A AUTO/HDWE store with a male cashier wearing a sweatshirt with a HOOD over his head, makes me think of a GANGBANGER. Another is a fast food burger place that has girls working around preparing food with their hair flying around ending up in my food. Need I go on. Stefhen
Steve, I hear ya on this one. My husband is 1/2 Armenian. We have this discussion all the time with our families about ENGLISH being the language. His grandparents spoke Armenian at home or only in their own little social gatherings, but out in public they would always speak ENGLISH, and proudly so, just like my Austrian and Sicilian relatives do to.

As for your question though, I'm a very laid back person. It takes a lot to rile me up. Three things specifically I don't like is (ok, they don't bother me that much, but my world would be happier)
1) people that never smile
2) cashiers that don't greet you with SOME form of hello
3) and all the "whoa is me" ~ My life is worse than everyone else people

p.s. smiling is contagious!

Last edited by MonaLisaVito; 02-06-2008 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: SPELLING!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,995,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
My late husband's parents came over from Hungary and spoke Hungarian. My husband started school (Cleveland, Ohio) speaking Hungarian and some of the other kids spoke different languages BUT the teacher spoke English and the rules back then, because English was (and still is) the dominant language in America, is either learn to speak English or you're not going to learn anything. Guess what most everyone had to do?
I think that is pretty much almost the only and best way to learn a language - to have no choice but to have only that one language accessible.

It's the same in reverse as when you really want to give up a bad habit or a addiction. You need to stay away from those people or places who have the same addiction.

If you were left stranded on a island full of Japanese people who spoke no English, trust me, you'd learn Japanese pretty quickly. If there were others there who spoke your own language, it would be much harder to learn Japanese.

Ooopsss... I forgot to give my dislikes...... yeah driving and talking on the cell!!! My #1. Number 2 would be people who complain about everything and who butt into everything.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 AM

7,088 posts, read 11,923,440 times
Exactly. I was told the best way to learn another language is to be with people that speak that language.
I don't care what language a person speaks in private but while in public, wherever that may be, speak the language that is spoken in that land or at least make an effort.
What I don't like is someone telling me I need to learn Spanish to accommodate them. My answer to that is that this is the United States and English is the language here an no, I don't need to learn another language to accommodate you.
On the other hand, if I were in Mexico, or any other country, they are not going to bow down and accommadate me. They will continue speaking there own language because it's the natural thing to do.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM

24,822 posts, read 28,402,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Or just disconnect you

This is one of my biggies, because I have spent the last 2 days on the cable and wireless phone roller coaster.
Oh yes, I understand completely!! Those voice-activated ones are the worst, since they inevitably misunderstand anything you say. I've literally ended up fighting with them, and find myself yelling at a machine...

"Technical Support"
"I believe you said 'Billing Support,' is that correct?"
"NO - TECHNICAL Support"
"I believe you said 'Business services,' is that correct?"
"NO, gaddammit... OPERATOR"
"I believe you said you have no further questions, is that correct?"
"@#$%&*@&$!!!"

Old 02-06-2008, 09:15 PM

42,844 posts, read 54,308,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh yes, I understand completely!! Those voice-activated ones are the worst, since they inevitably misunderstand anything you say. I've literally ended up fighting with them, and find myself yelling at a machine...

"Technical Support"
"I believe you said 'Billing Support,' is that correct?"
"NO - TECHNICAL Support"
"I believe you said 'Business services,' is that correct?"
"NO, gaddammit... OPERATOR"
"I believe you said you have no further questions, is that correct?"
"@#$%&*@&$!!!"
Ha-ha, must be because you're a native speaker, gizmo! They understand me perfectly well.

Now, seriously, there a site for ya: BRINGO : Stop Talking to Machines and Talk to a Real Human

I don't really bother, though. Usually the old-fashioned 00000000000 works or I yell at the robot and it gets me to a representative. Sometimes the robot wins... the other day got me disconnected after talking with it nicely for a few minutes!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:25 PM

24,822 posts, read 28,402,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, must be because you're a native speaker, gizmo! They understand me perfectly well.

Now, seriously, there a site for ya: BRINGO : Stop Talking to Machines and Talk to a Real Human

I don't really bother, though. Usually the old-fashioned 00000000000 works or I yell at the robot and it gets me to a representative. Sometimes the robot wins... the other day got me disconnected after talking with it nicely for a few minutes!
LMAO... I've actually been disconnected after yelling for an operator, so I'm always careful about that now. But yeah, it must be my thick Californian accent that confuses them.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM

4,834 posts, read 4,095,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
Steve, I hear ya on this one. My husband is 1/2 Armenian. We have this discussion all the time with our families about ENGLISH being the language. His grandparents spoke Armenian at home or only in their own little social gatherings, but out in public they would always speak ENGLISH, and proudly so, just like my Austrian and Sicilian relatives do to.

As for your question though, I'm a very laid back person. It takes a lot to rile me up. Three things specifically I don't like is (ok, they don't bother me that much, but my world would be happier)
1) people that never smile
2) cashiers that don't greet you with SOME form of hello
3) and all the "whoa is me" ~ My life is worse than everyone else people

p.s. smiling is contagious!

Hmmmmmm I saw half Armenian and Sicilian...maybe we are related???????
No wonder you understand about the language used in backgammon (or Tovloo as Armenians call the game). (I also have a dumbeg and an oud which I play when I am alone.).
I pretty much like all nationalities except that particular one that created thew 20th centuries first genocide, from which yet another country's leader created the holocaust. (I figure if I name nationalities it will get deleted so this vagur reference will get through to anyone who knows 20th century history. My point is that what I don't like is a nationality that claims something did not happen when the entire world knows it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics