Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

[quote=cloven;43012776]...
Today’s Word:
pettifog /ˈpetēˌfôɡ,ˈpetēˌfäɡ/ (v.): Be pedantic, overly concerned with trivial/minor details-similar to the idiom “to split hairs”.

This may be in my Top Five.

When I was a small child I had an elderly relative, who when he railed against the world, would shake his fist and castigate his imagined persecutors as, "Scalawags, poltroons and pettifoggers!!!!"

I was ever in awe of this fervent denunciation, and would stare at him as if one of the faces on Mt. Rushmore had spoken. The effect was all the stronger for the fact that neither my mother, nor aunt, nor anyone else could tell me a thing about these mysterious enemies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 09:37 AM

126,271 posts, read 19,041,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Happy Monday February 15, everybody-and welcome to QOTD

Today’s Question:
Can you think of a time when you'd finished (or gotten more than halfway through) a task/project...
then realized you’d made a mistake (or something had gone wrong) & you had to start over on the task or project (or re-do a significant portion) ?.................NOT really,maybe as a child my homework...mother always wanted that my homework was nestly done

Extra Credit:
Do you have a pincushion ?............YES I made one in grade 3 and still have it
Do you have a button jar (a jar in which to keep loose buttons) ?
If a garment includes replacement buttons (often sewn to the inside of clothing), do you save/use those extras ?........YES I have little jars filled with buttons according to size and color

Bonus:
How recently have you seen bubbles being blown-whether soap bubbles or bubble gum ones ?...................YESTERDAY
Have you ever witnessed glass being blown (melted/shaped/formed) ?........YES as a child we had a field trip and had to write a report after

Just for Fun:
Have you been in a vehicle that had a “dashcam” (dashboard-mounted camera) ?...........TAXIS have cameras here in Canada

Today in History:
1764: Establishment of the city of St. Louis (in what is now the state of Missouri)
1931: Birth of actress (Patricia) Claire Bloom
1948: Birth of cartoonist & editor Art Spiegelman (Itzhak Avraham ben Zeev), author of “Maus”
1951: Birth of actress Jane Seymour (Joyce Penelope Wilhelmina Frankenberg)
1954: Birth of animator & writer Matt Groening, creator of “The Simpsons”
1955: Birth of actor Christopher McDonald, Thelma’s husband in “Thelma & Louise”
1963: Birth of actor Steven Michael Quezada, Agt. Gomez on “Breaking Bad”
1965: The Maple Leaf flag officially inaugurated as Canada’s national flag
1971: Decimal Day-the UK and Ireland complete conversion of their currency into decimal denominations/units
1974: Birth of director, writer, and artist Miranda July (Miranda Jennifer Grossinger)
2013: The Chelyabinsk meteor streaks across Russian skies before impact; the resulting air burst and shock wave injure people & damage infrastructure.
^Dashcams, which are common in Russia, capture footage of the unexpected event.

Today’s Word:
pettifog /ˈpetēˌfôɡ,ˈpetēˌfäɡ/ (v.): Be pedantic, overly concerned with trivial/minor details-similar to the idiom “to split hairs”.

Today Is:
National Flag Day of Canada
Presidents’ Day (observed, U.S.)
National Hippo Day
International Gumdrop Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are near lower left-

Thought for the Day:
“If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we should find in each man’s life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.”
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wishing you a day with minimal tension & stress, C-D peeps.

THANK YOU cloven,we have a holiday today

Old 02-15-2016, 09:44 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Today’s Question:
Can you think of a time when you'd finished (or gotten more than halfway through) a task/project...
then realized you’d made a mistake (or something had gone wrong) & you had to start over on the task or project (or re-do a significant portion) ? I may have in the past, but today I try to think things through first or let someone else do it for me.

Extra Credit:
Do you have a pincushion ?
If a garment includes replacement buttons (often sewn to the inside of clothing), do you save/use those extras ?

Bonus:
How recently have you seen bubbles being blown-whether soap bubbles or bubble gum ones ? Probably years.
Have you ever witnessed glass being blown (melted/shaped/formed) ? Yes many times, neat stuff.

Just for Fun:
Have you been in a vehicle that had a “dashcam” (dashboard-mounted camera) ? Yes and planning on getting one soon.

cloven

Old 02-15-2016, 09:50 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,633 times
Today’s Question:
then realized you’d made a mistake (or something had gone wrong) & you had to start over on the task or project (or re-do a significant portion) ?

Drawings. Probably other things too, but I can't think of anything specific.

Extra Credit:
If a garment includes replacement buttons (often sewn to the inside of clothing), do you save/use those extras ?

No. I have a couple of containers that have loose buttons in them.

Bonus:
How recently have you seen bubbles being blown-whether soap bubbles or bubble gum ones ?

I ate a Blow Pop last week that had gum in it that I blew a bubble with.

Have you ever witnessed glass being blown (melted/shaped/formed) ?

Seems I have. Or maybe it was just on TV.

Just for Fun:
Have you been in a vehicle that had a “dashcam” (dashboard-mounted camera) ?

Mine has a rear view cam.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 AM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times

Today’s Question:
then realized you’d made a mistake (or something had gone wrong) & you had to start over on the task or project (or re-do a significant portion) ?
More times than I care to remember, both at work and at home.

Extra Credit:
The Super Chief has and does ask of these.

Bonus:
How recently have you seen bubbles being blown-whether soap bubbles or bubble gum ones ?
It's been awhile.

Just for Fun:
Not yet, but I just might install the one I have sitting on the counter pretty soon.

Thanx Cloven.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:05 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times

Today’s Question:
Mistakes don't happen on my job. I start with plan A and if something goes wrong I'll change to plan B or C if needed.....
Extra Credit:
Yes, Mrs Aks has one in the drawer
Yes,,, again Mrs Aks has it in the drawer with the pincushion. I've got a can with nuts & bolts in the garage however.....
I've not had anything that has a button come off of these days. Years ago it was different, but now things seem to stay attached. So we don't save extra buttons, just leave them on the shirt if needed.
Bonus:
Only when I'm washing my hair in the shower do I see bubbles anymore.
Yes, several times over the years. There was one that did a beautiful job with glass in northern Ark near Rogers.
Just for Fun:
No,,, not yet but I've seen several cars drive by with them. Also a number of police cars are using them in the area which is good. However I'm staying OUT of their cars, I don't need a ride to jail.

Desert flowers in the southwest,,,, note there's no snow!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:15 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,941 times
Today’s Question:
Can you think of a time when you'd finished (or gotten more than halfway through) a task/project then realized you’d made a mistake (or something had gone wrong) & you had to start over on the task or project (or re-do a significant portion) ? I've done this several times when putting ready-to-assemble furniture together! I'm pretty bad about not reading directions!

Do you have a pincushion ? Not any more.
Do you have a button jar (a jar in which to keep loose buttons) ? I don't but I should.
If a garment includes replacement buttons (often sewn to the inside of clothing), do you save/use those extras ? I put them in a container with my thread and needles.

How recently have you seen bubbles being blown-whether soap bubbles or bubble gum ones ? Last year at my daughter's.
Have you ever witnessed glass being blown (melted/shaped/formed) ? I haven't but have watched it being done on TV. A fascinating process.

Have you been in a vehicle that had a “dashcam” (dashboard-mounted camera) ? Nope.

Thanks cloven and happy President's Day everyone!

Old 02-15-2016, 11:29 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:
then realized you’d made a mistake (or something had gone wrong) & you had to start over on the task or project (or re-do a significant portion) ? I have a short attention span, so I don't usually do a task over again. I get too frustrated.

Extra Credit:
Do you have a pincushion ? Several, and I do use them.
Do you have a button jar (a jar in which to keep loose buttons) ? Yes.
If a garment includes replacement buttons (often sewn to the inside of clothing), do you save/use those extras ? I do but sometimes lose them.

Bonus:
How recently have you seen bubbles being blown-whether soap bubbles or bubble gum ones ? My own while chewing gum a few weeks ago.
Have you ever witnessed glass being blown (melted/shaped/formed) ? Yes. Very cool.

Just for Fun:
Have you been in a vehicle that had a “dashcam” (dashboard-mounted camera) ? Nope.

Today in History:
1764: Establishment of the city of St. Louis (in what is now the state of Missouri) I guess I didn't realize that the state was that 'old'.

1955: Birth of actor Christopher McDonald, Thelma’s husband in “Thelma & Louise” Funny, I was just trying to remember this guy's name a few nights ago.

Thanks, Cloven. 'Wishing everyone a Happy Presidents Day!

Old 02-15-2016, 11:37 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
[quote=cloven;43012776]Happy Monday February 15, everybody-and welcome to QOTD

Today’s Question:
Yes. We used mastic on the bathroom floor mosaic tiles in the basement and the tiles didn't stick. We had to rip up about a box of them, buy more, and set them in mortar. Problem solved.
Extra Credit:
Do you have a pincushion ? Yes
Do you have a button jar (a jar in which to keep loose buttons) ? No
If a garment includes replacement buttons (often sewn to the inside of clothing), do you save/use those extras ?Yes but don't ask me which button goes where

Bonus:
How recently have you seen bubbles being blown-whether soap bubbles or bubble gum ones ?Yes on TV and they were monster bubbles.
Have you ever witnessed glass being blown (melted/shaped/formed) ?Yes just the other day on Facebook.

Just for Fun:
Yes but I wasn't under arrest
Today in History:
1764: Establishment of the city of St. Louis (in what is now the state of Missouri)
1931: Birth of actress (Patricia) Claire Bloom
1948: Birth of cartoonist & editor Art Spiegelman (Itzhak Avraham ben Zeev), author of “Maus”
1951: Birth of actress Jane Seymour (Joyce Penelope Wilhelmina Frankenberg)
1954: Birth of animator & writer Matt Groening, creator of “The Simpsons”
1955: Birth of actor Christopher McDonald, Thelma’s husband in “Thelma & Louise”
1963: Birth of actor Steven Michael Quezada, Agt. Gomez on “Breaking Bad”
1965: The Maple Leaf flag officially inaugurated as Canada’s national flag
1971: Decimal Day-the UK and Ireland complete conversion of their currency into decimal denominations/units
1974: Birth of director, writer, and artist Miranda July (Miranda Jennifer Grossinger)
2013: The Chelyabinsk meteor streaks across Russian skies before impact; the resulting air burst and shock wave injure people & damage infrastructure.
^Dashcams, which are common in Russia, capture footage of the unexpected event.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Flag Day of Canada
Presidents’ Day (observed, U.S.)
National Hippo Day
International Gumdrop Day

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are near lower left-

Thought for the Day:
“If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we should find in each man’s life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.”
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Thanks Cloven. No stress, no worries but I've been incredibly bored these last three days. I need a project.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:13 PM

7,333 posts, read 2,742,181 times

Today’s Question:
then realized you’d made a mistake (or something had gone wrong) & you had to start over on the task or project (or re-do a significant portion) ? Has happened more than once.

Extra Credit:
Do you have a pincushion ? Yes
Do you have a button jar (a jar in which to keep loose buttons) ? Yes
If a garment includes replacement buttons (often sewn to the inside of clothing), do you save/use those extras ? Yes

Bonus: How recently have you seen bubbles being blown-whether soap bubbles or bubble gum ones ? Last weekend with my grand-nephew.
Have you ever witnessed glass being blown (melted/shaped/formed) ? Yes, both in person and on TV

Just for Fun:
Have you been in a vehicle that had a “dashcam” (dashboard-mounted camera) ? Yes

Happy Monday to one and all. Don't forget to take some time to enjoy the day. Thanks cloven for the questions and maze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics