Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:06 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times

Advertisements

We're in the midst of a blizzard here in NW Indiana, and my power keeps going out briefly. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish these answers before midnight!

Today's Question(s):
Have you ever known someone through one group of friends, only to unexpectedly find them later in a different group of mutual friends? If so, would you tell us a bit about it? Hmmmm. Yes! I just thought of an instance where this happened. I have some dear friends, a married couple, whom I've know for over 30 years. About 10 years ago I invited them to an activity at my church, and they came to the event. They ran into a couple from my church, who are also my very good friends of mine, and as it turned out, the two couples had known each other for years. It was one of those "small world" moments.

Bonus Question(s):
Are you old enough to remember:
the first moon landing? Yes; very well. My sister and I were visiting our aunt at the time and the three of us watched it together on TV.
the first Superbowl? Yep, though I don't recall it.
the first McDonald's in your neighborhood? Yep, though I don't recall it. My parents didn't allow us to eat junk food, so the first time I ever went to a fast food restaurant was in about 1972, long after McDonald's, Burger King and others were well established in our city.
Ronald Reagan saying, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall?" Yep, I remember seeing that on the news.
the invention of the Sony Walkman? Yepper, though I never owned one.
when the Beatles first hit the scene? Yep. I think I was in 5th grade when they first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show.

Just for Fun:
From where you sit, can you see:
candy in a jar? Nope.
a picture in a frame? Yep, times two.
a phone? Yep, times two. A land line and a cell phone.
a recliner? Yep; I'm reclined in it right now.
a tasty beverage? Yep. I have a big glass of water on the end table.
a road sign? Nope.
a potted plant? Yep, times eight. During summertime, the plants are on my front porch rail, but in wintertime they're here in my family room.

Today’s Word:

parsimony
Pronunciation: (PAR-si-mo-nee)
Meaning: noun: Excessive frugality; stinginess.
Etymology: From Latin parsimonia, from parcere (to spare).
Earliest documented use: 1475.
I'm frugal, but I know someone who is the epitome of parsimony. Cheap!

Today is:
National Tortilla Cip Day (US) Sounds good, but I'm not going out in the blizzard to buy some.
World Bartender Day I had a bartender's license for several years. Needed it to serve wine at an annual charity luncheon.
Inconvenience Yourself Day I've been inconvenienced by the blizzard!

Quote of the Day:
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." ~ Steve Jobs ~ (also born today, 1955. d. Oct 5, 2011)

Have a good day everyone! It's good in that I am safe at home instead of stranded at work. My boss sent everyone home shortly after the blizzard started. It was a terrible 29-mile drive home, but I was very grateful to be driving during daylight and not trying to navigate through the storm after dark. It's brutal out there. We'll see what the morning brings. Wish me luck!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-24-2016 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever known someone through one group of friends, only to unexpectedly find them later in a different group of mutual friends? If so, would you tell us a bit about it? Not that I can recall.

Bonus Question(s):
the first moon landing?
the first Superbowl? <--No
the first McDonald's in your neighborhood?
Ronald Reagan saying, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall?"
the invention of the Sony Walkman?
when the Beatles first hit the scene? <--No
Yes to everything else.^^^

Just for Fun:
candy in a jar? No
a picture in a frame? Yes
a phone? Yes
a recliner? No
a tasty beverage? No
a road sign? No
a potted plant? Yes

I hope everyone had a Happy Hump Day!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:57 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever known someone through one group of friends, only to unexpectedly find them later in a different group of mutual friends? If so, would you tell us a bit about it?
Not that I remember.

Bonus Question(s):
the first moon landing? Yes.
the first Superbowl? Yes. I was in high school.
the first McDonald's in your neighborhood? I'm sure you aren't talking about "old lady McDonald" our farm neighbor and party-line member? She was there before time itself.
Ronald Reagan saying, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall?" Yes.
the invention of the Sony Walkman? I was there when they introduced the vacuum tube model.
when the Beatles first hit the scene? Yes and I had a pair of Beatles boots.

Just for Fun:
candy in a jar? I wish.
a picture in a frame? Yes.
a phone? Yes.
a recliner? No.
a tasty beverage? Yes.
a road sign? No, not even with a telescope.
a potted plant? Nope.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1965 Beatles begin filming "Help" in Bahamas
Birthday: 1685 Georg Friedrich Handel, German/British composer (d. 1759)
Science/Technology: 1949 V-2/WAC-Corporal 1st rocket to outer space, White Sands, NM, 400 km An interesting place. Interviewed for a job there years ago. Didn't get it.
Sports: 2002 XIX Winter Olympics closes in Salt Lake City Utah/Quebec City

Today’s Word:
parsimony
Pronunciation: (PAR-si-mo-nee)
Meaning: noun: Excessive frugality; stinginess.
Etymology: From Latin parsimonia, from parcere (to spare).
Earliest documented use: 1475.

Today is:
National Tortilla Chip Day (US)
World Bartender Day
Inconvenience Yourself Day

Quote of the Day:
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." ~ Steve Jobs ~ (also born today, 1955. d. Oct 5, 2011)

Thanks PatsCats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics