Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:08 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for February 28. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Pisces. Some famous people who were born on this date include gangster Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel, chemist and Nobel laureate Linus Pauling, director Vincente Minnelli, actor, singer and comedian Zero Mostel; actresses Bernadette Peters and Mercedes Ruehl; actors Charles Durning, Gavin MacLeod and John Turturro; architect Frank Gehry, race car driver Mario Andretti, rocker Brian Jones and author Daniel Handler.

Today’s Questions:
The Academy Awards are today. Will you be watching? Why or why not?

Have you seen any of the Academy Award nominated films? If so, which ones?

Do you have a favorite actor or actress?

Have you ever acted in a play (even if it was a school play) or taken acting lessons?

Bonus Question:
Have you ever worn any type of costume or uniform (other than Halloween costumes)? If so, what did it look like?

Just for Fun:
Has something in your house stopped working, broken or gone haywire recently?

Are you good at fixing things?

Today in History:
202 B.C. – Coronation ceremony of Liu Bang as Emperor Gaozu of Han takes place, initiating four centuries of the Han dynasty’s rule over China.
1525 – The Aztec king Cuauhtémoc is executed by the forces of Spanish colonizer Hernán Cortes.
1692 – Salem witch hunt begins in Massachusetts.
1700 – Today is followed by March 1 in Sweden, thus creating the Swedish calendar.
1759 – Pope Clement XIII allows the Bible to be translated into various languages.
1784 – John Wesley charters the Methodist Church.
1827 – The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad is incorporated, becoming the first railroad in America offering commercial transportation to both people and freight.
1838 – Robert Nelson proclaims the independence of Lower Canada (now Quebec).
1849 –First boatload of gold rush prospectors arrives in San Francisco four months and 22 days after leaving New York Harbor.
1883 – The first vaudeville theater opens in Boston, Massachusetts.
1885 – The American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) is incorporated in New York as the subsidiary of American Bell Telephone. (Bell would eventually merge with its subsidiary.)
1900 – In the Second Boer War, the 118-day “Siege of Ladysmith” is lifted.
1922 – The United Kingdom ends its protectorate over Egypt through a Unilateral Declaration of Independence.
1935 – DuPont scientist Dr. Wallace Carothers invents nylon.
1942 – The heavy cruiser USS Houston is sunk in the Battle of Sunda Strait with 693 crew members killed, along with the HMAS Perth, which lost 375 men.
1953 – James Watson and Francis Crick announce to friends that they have discovered the structure of DNA, a double helix.
1954 – The first color television sets using the NTSC standard go on sale.
1959 – Discoverer I, a spy satellite that is the first object intended to achieve a polar orbit, is launched but fails to achieve orbit.
1972 – President Nixon ends historic week-long visit to China; U.S. and People’s Republic of China sign an agreement to work toward the normalization of their relations.
1983 – Final episode of M*A*S*H* airs. With almost 106 million American viewers, it still holds the record for the largest audience for a season finale.
1986 – Olof Palme, prime minister of Sweden, is assassinated.
1993 – Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents raid the Branch Davidian complex in Waco, Texas, with a warrant to arrest its leader, David Koresh. Four agents and five Davidians die in the raid, which begins a 51-day standoff.
1997 – Earthquake in northern Iran claims about 3,000 lives.
2013 – Pope Benedict XVI resigns, becoming the first Catholic Pope to resign since Gregory XII in 1415 and the first to resign voluntarily since Celestine V in 1294.

Quote of the Day:
“You can map your life through your favorite movies, and no two people’s maps will be the same.” – Mary Schmich

Word of the Day
butyraceous adj [byoo-tuh-rey-shuhs]
Definition:
Of the nature of, resembling, or containing butter.
Example: ”And certainly, fine food, lots of the best wine, had given his jowls a butryraceous sheen.”
- Ken Bruen, Purgatory, 2013

Today is
Floral Design Day
Rare Disease Day
National Tooth Fairy Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Welcome to Questions of the Day for February 28. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Pisces. Some famous people who were born on this date include gangster Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel, chemist and Nobel laureate Linus Pauling, director Vincente Minnelli, actor, singer and comedian Zero Mostel; actresses Bernadette Peters and Mercedes Ruehl; actors Charles Durning, Gavin MacLeod and John Turturro; architect Frank Gehry, race car driver Mario Andretti, rocker Brian Jones and author Daniel Handler.

Today’s Questions:

Some.
Have you ever acted in a play (even if it was a school play) or taken acting lessons?

Bonus Question:
Have you ever worn any type of costume or uniform (other than Halloween costumes)? If so, what did it look like?

Just for Fun:

Today in History:
202 B.C. – Coronation ceremony of Liu Bang as Emperor Gaozu of Han takes place, initiating four centuries of the Han dynasty’s rule over China.
1525 – The Aztec king Cuauhtémoc is executed by the forces of Spanish colonizer Hernán Cortes.
1700 – Today is followed by March 1 in Sweden, thus creating the Swedish calendar.
1759 – Pope Clement XIII allows the Bible to be translated into various languages.
1827 – The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad is incorporated, becoming the first railroad in America offering commercial transportation to both people and freight.
1849 –First boatload of gold rush prospectors arrives in San Francisco four months and 22 days after leaving New York Harbor.
1885 – The American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) is incorporated in New York as the subsidiary of American Bell Telephone. (Bell would eventually merge with its subsidiary.)
1900 – In the Second Boer War, the 118-day “Siege of Ladysmith” is lifted.
1922 – The United Kingdom ends its protectorate over Egypt through a Unilateral Declaration of Independence.
1942 – The heavy cruiser USS Houston is sunk in the Battle of Sunda Strait with 693 crew members killed, along with the HMAS Perth, which lost 375 men.
1953 – James Watson and Francis Crick announce to friends that they have discovered the structure of DNA, a double helix.
1959 – Discoverer I, a spy satellite that is the first object intended to achieve a polar orbit, is launched but fails to achieve orbit.
1972 – President Nixon ends historic week-long visit to China; U.S. and People’s Republic of China sign an agreement to work toward the normalization of their relations.
1983 – Final episode of M*A*S*H* airs. With almost 106 million American viewers, it still holds the record for the largest audience for a season finale.
1993 – Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents raid the Branch Davidian complex in Waco, Texas, with a warrant to arrest its leader, David Koresh. Four agents and five Davidians die in the raid, which begins a 51-day standoff.
2013 – Pope Benedict XVI resigns, becoming the first Catholic Pope to resign since Gregory XII in 1415 and the first to resign voluntarily since Celestine V in 1294.

Quote of the Day:
“You can map your life through your favorite movies, and no two people’s maps will be the same.” – Mary Schmich

Word of the Day
Definition:
Example: ”And certainly, fine food, lots of the best wine, had given his jowls a butryraceous sheen.”

Today is
Floral Design Day
Rare Disease Day
National Tooth Fairy Day
Thanks Bay! Nice job!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:17 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today’s Questions:
The Academy Awards are today. Will you be watching? Why or why not? No, not a movie buff.

Have you seen any of the Academy Award nominated films? If so, which ones? Haven't been to a movie theater since 1995.

Do you have a favorite actor or actress? Alan Ladd, I liked him in Shane.

Have you ever acted in a play (even if it was a school play) or taken acting lessons? No, but I've played dead many times...

Bonus Question:
Have you ever worn any type of costume or uniform (other than Halloween costumes)? If so, what did it look like? Uniform in the military, yes.

Just for Fun:
Has something in your house stopped working, broken or gone haywire recently? Not in a long time.

Are you good at fixing things? Most things, that's why she married me.

Bay

Old 02-27-2016, 11:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Today’s Questions:
Yes, I'll be watching. I am a movie buff.

None of them. I tend to wait until movies are out on DVD before seeing them.

Gregory Peck and Anne Bancroft. They don't make 'em like they did before.

No.

Bonus Question:
I wore a Girl Scout uniform when I was young.
I wore a cheerleader uniform in college.
I wore a majorette uniform in jr. high.

Just for Fun:
Yes, the dishwasher bit the dust a couple of years ago. I'll get around to replacing it one of these days.

Generally, yes. However I try to avoid things that involve electricity.

Today in History:
1900 – In the Second Boer War, the 118-day “Siege of Ladysmith” is lifted. At long last.

Quote of the Day:

Word of the Day
Definition:

Today is
Floral Design Day
Rare Disease Day
National Tooth Fairy Day

Thank you, BA4. Have a wonderful week.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:41 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times
Have An Amazing Sunday Peeples!

Today’s Questions:
The Academy Awards are today. Will you be watching? Why or why not? I will not be watching as I have no interest in the show itself. I will search for the results later.

Have you seen any of the Academy Award nominated films? If so, which ones? Ex Machina, nominated for Best Original Screenplay

Do you have a favorite actor or actress? No. I cannot pick a favorite from the many actors that I enjoy watching.

Have you ever acted in a play (even if it was a school play) or taken acting lessons? Yes. I was in a couple of plays in elementary school. I was a guard in one production(name escapes me) and my line was "Hark, who goes there?" In another production I played Abraham Lincoln with a hat that wouldn't stay on and a beard that shifted every time I turned my head.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever worn any type of costume or uniform (other than Halloween costumes)? If so, what did it look like? USMC uniform. I was a security guard many, many years ago and had different uniforms that looked like your typical ill-fitting, rent-a-cop garb. Costumes worn only for plays mentioned above.

Just for Fun:
Has something in your house stopped working, broken or gone haywire recently? Thankfully, no.

Are you good at fixing things? Not so much.(read=no)

Quote of the Day:

Thank you Bay.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:59 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Today’s Questions:
The Academy Awards are today. Will you be watching? Why or why not?no I don't have cable. If I still had cable I'd watch at least some of it

Have you seen any of the Academy Award nominated films? If so, which ones?yes

Have you ever acted in a play (even if it was a school play) or taken acting lessons?yes but not since school

Bonus Question:
Have you ever worn any type of costume or uniform (other than Halloween costumes)? If so, what did it look like?yes several - first to come to mind was my candy striper uniform from when I volunteered at the hospital. It was pinkish-red and white stripes on a sort of crepey cotton. Like a candy cane

Just for Fun:
Has something in your house stopped working, broken or gone haywire recently?yes the garbage disposer

Are you good at fixing things?can be - I called maintenance for the disposer since we rent here

Thank you!

Old 02-28-2016, 12:12 AM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
I got my favorite #7 slot. It must be my lucky day.

Today’s Questions:

The Academy Awards are today. Will you be watching? Why or why not? No, I simply don't have any interest in awards shows.

Have you seen any of the Academy Award nominated films? If so, which ones? None of the nominees for this year.

Do you have a favorite actor or actress? I like Bradley Cooper and Sandra Bullock.

Have you ever acted in a play (even if it was a school play) or taken acting lessons? I've been in a couple of plays in elementary school and one in junior high school.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever worn any type of costume or uniform (other than Halloween costumes)? If so, what did it look like? I was in the high school marching band for 3 years and I wore a uniform with the school colors.

Just for Fun:
Has something in your house stopped working, broken or gone haywire recently? A wall clock in my room stopped working, so I replaced it.

Are you good at fixing things? Not really. I contact the professionals.

Have a fun day Sunday!

Old 02-28-2016, 01:12 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Today’s Questions:
Oh ... they are tonight? No TV and no interest in watching the Academy Awards

Probably not although I don't know what's being nominated.

Kermit the Frog?

Only in acting class in high school. Never played in a production.

Bonus Question:
I had to wear a uniform when I attended two private schools ... One was a hideous navy blue shapeless/formless dress with a hideous yellow neckerchief. Then in high school .... White extra crispy shirt with hideous navy blue slackers ....

I also wore a uniform when I worked two months at Jack in the Box .... Pink crew shirt and black slackers.

Just for Fun:
No thank God

Nope

Old 02-28-2016, 04:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Today’s Questions:

Haven't watched it in years. I haven't seen the movies so I have no rooting interest and half the time I don't know the actors. This is true for the Emmys, too.

Have you seen any of the Academy Award nominated films? If so, which ones? None

I like one that's not well known but not really any favorites.

Was in plays in elementary school but that's about it.

Bonus Question:

Brownies, girl scouts, gym uniform

Just for Fun:

No...oh wait, the TV is on its last legs so sometimes it comes on with a pink tinge which disappears after a few minutes or if you shut it off and turn it back on.

I'm not awful at it but because I have lived in apartment complexes in 3 states, maintenance comes in and fixes anything major so I've gone "soft" on fixing.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
[quote=Bayarea4;43174069]

Today’s Questions:

I don't believe I have watched them since the Sixties, perhaps. I came to find them tedious, boring. I have read, of course, of the recent controversies about the awards, but as I rarely watch mainstream American films I have no idea how justified it is.

Have you seen any of the Academy Award nominated films? If so, which ones? No

Do you have a favorite actor or actress? I very much liked Siobhán McKenna, but I mainly remember her as a stage actress. I was delightfully entertained by Judy Garland as a young person.

Have you ever acted in a play (even if it was a school play) or taken acting lessons? Only in grade school.

Bonus Question:

A loose grey shirt that was put on over street clothes in a Buddhist center. The Boy Scout uniform as youngster.

Just for Fun:
Has something in your house stopped working, broken or gone haywire recently? Myself, but self-reparing has continued to come through.

Are you good at fixing things? Not plumbing or electrical problems, but otherwise, yes - within my physical limitations.

Quote of the Day:

Sheesh! If that's true I've been deceased a long time.

Word of the Day
Definition:

Describes some of the conversations I used to have with difficult bosses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics