Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 09:45 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times

Advertisements

[quote=PatsCats;43453765]Mornin' all!

I hope you are all doing well today and are ready for a bit of fun. Take a moment to relax and ponder the following.

Today's Question(s):
Last weekend hubby and I went to Maple Sugar Time, an annual reenactment "festival" of all things made from on-site maple trees, like early area inhabitants might have done. When finished, we bought a jar of "maple cream," suitable for spreading on toast, pancakes, waffles, etc. Yum!

Have you ever gone to any olden days type festival or exhibit? And did you purchase any of the related merchandise, if any was available? If so, what did you think of it once you got it home?

We went to the Renaissance Fair once but I don't remember buying anything.
Bonus Question(s):
I like to watch birds, my sister loves to see helicopters. What is something that excites you enough to move from a relaxed position to get up to see it?

The life flight helicopter from the big box hospital I used to work for flies over our house often. I'll look if I'm outside, but one time a helicopter kept hoovering around our back yard. I was under our cedar picknik table water sealing it with my legs sticking out. It dawned on me that it was either a police helicopter looking for someone or they thought I may have been dead under there. I crawled out with my bucket and brush and waved at them. They left after that.
Just for Fun:
Which of the following would you do, or have you done:
Polar Plunge (jumping into a cold lake)?
ride a zip line?I would love to do this.
overnight in a haunted house? I live in a haunted house.
skydive?
cliff dive?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1998 70th Academy Awards - Oscar Ceremony Billy Crystal hosts, Titanic wins eleven Oscars, including Best Picture, Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt win lead acting awards
Birthday: 1910 Akira Kurosawa, Japanese director (d. Sept 6, 1988)
Science/Technology: 1965 Gemini 3 launched, 1st U.S. 2-man space flight (Grissom and Young)
Sports: 2014 Kentucky beat undefeated Wichita State in the NCAA basketball tournament, ending Wichita's historic 35-0 record

Today’s Word:
quale
Pronunciation: (KWA-lee, -lay)
Meaning: noun: A quality or property as perceived by a person: a subjective experience.
Etymology: From Latin qualis (or what kind).
Earliest documented use: 1654.

Today is:
National Chip and Dip Day
National Melba Toast Day
National Puppy Day
National Tamale Day
Near Miss Day
Ta'Anit Esther
OK Day
World Meteorological Day

Quote of the Day:
"Man is a genius when he is dreaming." ~ Akira Kurosawa ~

Have a good day everyone!

Thanks Pat you too. Off to ice skate today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Today's Question(s):
Last weekend hubby and I went to Maple Sugar Time, an annual reenactment "festival" of all things made from on-site maple trees, like early area inhabitants might have done. When finished, we bought a jar of "maple cream," suitable for spreading on toast, pancakes, waffles, etc. Yum!

Have you ever gone to any olden days type festival or exhibit? And did you purchase any of the related merchandise, if any was available? If so, what did you think of it once you got it home?

Have been to Renaissance fairs, battle re-nactments (various wars), forts and Garrison Days. Never purchased anything. Was there to take photos.

Bonus Question(s):
I like to watch birds, my sister loves to see helicopters. What is something that excites you enough to move from a relaxed position to get up to see it?

I'm with you. It's all about the birds.

Just for Fun:

No. It's not the polar part, though. It's the plunging, diving and bathing suit, TV cameras, crowd-watching part.

ride a zip line?

No. Can't hold on for dear life with two hands and take photos with a DSLR at the same time.

overnight in a haunted house?

No. Don't like to sleep with strangers.

skydive?

No. It's not the diving part that scares me. It's the landing part.

cliff dive?

Oh, definitely this one.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:57 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Today's Question(s):

Have you ever gone to any olden days type festival or exhibit? And did you purchase any of the related merchandise, if any was available? If so, what did you think of it once you got it home? I always wanted to attend one of the Civil War reenactments in the mid-Atlantic region while living there but never did.

Bonus Question(s):
I like to watch birds, my sister loves to see helicopters. What is something that excites you enough to move from a relaxed position to get up to see it? I have gotten up very recently to see the helicopters "stringing" the high line wires south of my farm for the wind turbines.

I have also gotten up to see a rare (on the High Plains) golden eagle perched on a fence post behind my house. It doesn't take much to thrill me.

Just for Fun:
Polar Plunge (jumping into a cold lake)? I moved to this farm house in early March a few years ago. At that time, there was no water heater in the house so I had to "polar plunge" in the shower every night. No thank you.
ride a zip line? Yes. There use to be one in a lake behind the east Texas farm I grew up on. The line was attached to a pine tree on shore out to a small island. It was simply a cable with a pipe on it.
overnight in a haunted house? Only the farm house I now live in. We have orbs.
skydive? Never had the desire.
cliff dive? A long time ago, before they raised the water level at Ute Lake in New Mexico, my FIL and myself used to cliff dive from the large rock cliffs that lined the Lake's shores in places. However, these were only maybe 25' to 35' high.

Thanks PatsCats.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:56 AM

7,367 posts, read 5,480,532 times
I hope you are all doing well today and are ready for a bit of fun. Take a moment to relax and ponder the following.

Today's Question(s):

Have you ever gone to any olden days type festival or exhibit? And did you purchase any of the related merchandise, if any was available? If so, what did you think of it once you got it home?. Civil War reenactment. I didn't buy anything.

Bonus Question(s):
I like to watch birds, my sister loves to see helicopters. What is something that excites you enough to move from a relaxed position to get up to see it?. When we go camping and I see deer, I will quietly get up and watch them.

Just for Fun:
Polar Plunge (jumping into a cold lake)?. No
ride a zip line?. Yes, I would like to try it.
overnight in a haunted house?. No
skydive?. No
cliff dive?. No

Old 03-23-2016, 11:23 AM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Today's Question(s):

We have gone to a few Pow Wows. only thing we bought was food.

Bonus Question(s):
Planes, helicopters, custom cars and thunder and lightning during a good rain.

Just for Fun:
ride a zip line?
overnight in a haunted house? Maybe the one at Disneyland.
skydive?
cliff dive? Done this, but it was a low cliff.

Thanx PatsCats.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:03 PM

576 posts, read 422,121 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you ever gone to any olden days type festival or exhibit? And did you purchase any of the related merchandise, if any was available? If so, what did you think of it once you got it home? Can't think of one I've been to off hand

Bonus Question(s):
I like to watch birds, my sister loves to see helicopters. What is something that excites you enough to move from a relaxed position to get up to see it? I'd say wildlife too, love seeing animals in their natural habitat.

Just for Fun:
Polar Plunge (jumping into a cold lake)? done this, wouldn't recommend it though.
ride a zip line? No, I would give it a try.
overnight in a haunted house? I don't believe in ghosts so can't do this one.
skydive? Done this, absolutely amazing highly recommend it.
cliff dive? No haven't done this probably wouldn't either as I'm not a great swimmer.

Thanks for the questions Pats Cats, hope you're all having a great day

Old 03-23-2016, 12:06 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
[quote=PatsCats;43453765]

Today's Question(s):

I would probably skip the Maple Sugar Time thing as that was still being done when I was a kid, even people in the village tapped their trees.

Bonus Question(s):

Bird song, or to look up and see an especially beautiful sky.

Just for Fun:
Which of the following would you do, or have you done: None
ride a zip line?
skydive?
cliff dive?

Today in History:

Birthday: 1910 Akira Kurosawa, Japanese director (d. Sept 6, 1988) Liked his films.

Quote of the Day:

Old 03-23-2016, 12:16 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Today's Question(s):

Not really into that kind of thing. If I do go I almost never buy anything. Now if it was a stinky cheese festival that would be a different story.

Bonus Question(s):
Pretty much any old airplane, or even new airplane for that matter. I also like watching when it is raining hard. Will also get up to watch the lightning

Just for Fun:
Polar Plunge (jumping into a cold lake)? Not by choice
ride a zip line?
skydive?
cliff dive?

Old 03-23-2016, 03:20 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,724 times
Today's Question(s):

Have you ever gone to any olden days type festival or exhibit? And did you purchase any of the related merchandise, if any was available? If so, what did you think of it once you got it home? I've been to Fort #4 in Charlestown, NH. Didn't purchase anything.

Bonus Question(s):
I like to watch birds, my sister loves to see helicopters. What is something that excites you enough to move from a relaxed position to get up to see it? Laughing children... rainbows..... live music... the full moon lighting up the field at night... bluebirds sitting on the wires.

Just for Fun:
ride a zip line?
overnight in a haunted house..... Our family's farmhouse was built in 1772. It was a tavern at one time. It's haunted.
skydive?
cliff dive?

Today’s Word:
quale
Pronunciation: (KWA-lee, -lay)
Meaning: noun: A quality or property as perceived by a person: a subjective experience.
Etymology: From Latin qualis (or what kind).
Earliest documented use: 1654.

Quote of the Day:

Hope you've all had a good day!

Last edited by kpinvt; 03-23-2016 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 03:45 PM

903 posts, read 583,248 times
Calico Ghost Town and had Sarsaparilla. It looked like an old time saloon complete with swinging doors.

Bonus Question(s):
Lightening, Rainbows, Full-moons

Just for Fun:
Polar Plunge (jumping into a cold lake)? Had to do a swim test in water that was about 45 deg
ride a zip line? Have done this
overnight in a haunted house? Have not, I might
skydive? No thank you
cliff dive? Have jumped about 10ft

Have a good day everyone!

You, too. cd :O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics