Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:46 AM

54,496 posts, read 33,866,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Today’s Questions
(Answer the ones that are relevant to you):
Am in hiding because of being haunted by persons known, and/or un-known, and I wish to remain anonymous til the end...
Don't worry Wit-nit, I won't mention anything about this guy being one of the people you're haunted by...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:02 AM

24,469 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Today’s Questions

Where were you and what were you doing

70 years ago?
Just started grammar school in Cleveland, OH. Mother had recently remarried and shortly after that we moved to CA leaving friends and family behind.

60 years ago?
Living, exploring and playing in So CA. New school and friends and expanded family.

50 years ago?
Married, 4 kids, new house, new town are friends, working in the exciting aerospace industry. Life was good.

40 years ago?
Pretty much a blur between family and work. Kids sports and great vacations.

30 years ago?
Pretty much more of the same, oh 1 kid getting married, another off to the Navy.

20 years ago?
Spent a year in Puerto Rico, the my job was eliminated, took some time off work the started a new job in the same industry.

10 years ago?
Happily retired, still living in the same town which is now a city. involved in immersing students and teachers in the Constitution. Looks like this is gonna be our forever home.

Good questions Bay, had to really put on the thinking cap.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
70 years ago today. . . Still kicking around in my Mother's womb.
60 years ago today. . . First summer that my Dad turned me loose by myself on the tractor.
50 years ago. . . Working on the farm and riding the wheels off my first (legal at 14) motorcycle. Waiting to get my Car license on my 16th birthday,
40 years ago. . . two years into my trucking career as an owner/operator. My Father passes
away in 1978. Fell in love with a Canadian girl and almost tied the knot, came to my
senses. LOL. Oldest Nephew and I spending time hunting/fishing.
30 years ago. . . Youngest Nephew is born. Took a three year break from the trucking business and invested a ton of my cash. Planning on becoming a millionaire by 2000.
20 years ago. . . Poverty strikes after two Chapter 11 Bankruptcies with investments. Start
over boo hoo!
10 Years ago. . . Youngest Nephew is murdered in 2009. Jerk that murdered him is convicted
and given 50 to life.
Now. . . retired. Spending most of my time on shop projects. Two new inventions that I think
might make me a HUGE fortune IF I am willing to spend a SMALL fortune! What the heck. . . poverty ain't that bad LOL. I will assign the rights to my Nephew and let him make a
fortune.
10 years from now? Probably looking down from Heaven.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:57 AM

576 posts, read 422,213 times
Today’s Questions

70 years ago?

60 years ago?

50 years ago?

40 years ago?

30 years ago? I was a kid / in primary school at the time, living a home with my older brother and sister.

20 years ago? I was a teenager on my transition year in secondary school my brother had moved out around this time.

10 years ago? I had started in my last job (I almost worked there for ten years so it doesn't seem that long ago)

Thanks for the question BayArea, hope you all had a good weekend.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:29 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
[quote=Bayarea4;43661051]Welcome to QOTD for Sunday, April 10, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aries. Some famous people who were born on this date include actors Omar Sharif, Chuck Connors and Haley Joel Osment; actress Daisy Ridley; singer Mandy Moore; American explorer Jim Bowie; naval hero Commodore Perry, Salvation Army founder General William Booth; journalists Joseph Pulitzer and David Halberstam; rocker Brian Setzer and author Anne Lamott;

Today’s Questions

70 years ago?

60 years ago?

50 years ago? Living with alcoholic parents

40 years ago? On the verge of moving out of my alcoholic parents house.

30 years ago? Newly married to the love of my life.

20 years ago? Living a happy life and nearly 40

10 years ago? Dealing with a super bug March of 2006 is when I caught it. I've had some scary moments this week and I'm desperately trying not to go back on antibiotics. I'm soooo tired of living with this.

Today in History:
832 – Halley’s Comet makes its closest approach to Earth at a distance equal to 5.1 million kilometres or3.2 million miles.
1606 – The Virginia Company of London is established by royal charter by James I of England for the purpose of establishing colonial settlements in North America.
1790 – President George Washington signs the first U.S. Patent Act.

1815 – Mount Tambora in Indonesia begins a three-month eruption, the longest volcanic eruption in history. It kills 70,000 people and affects the climate worldwide for the next two years.
1849 – The safety pin is patented by Walter Hunt of New York. He sells the rights to his invention for $400.

1858 – Big Ben is recast in London as a replacement for the original, larger bell, which had cracked during testing.
1864 - Archduke Maximilian of Habsburg is proclaimed Emperor of Mexico.
1866 – The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is founded in New York City by philanthropist and diplomat Henry Bergh.
1887 - On Easter Day, Pope Leo XIII authorizes the establishment of The Catholic University of America.
1912 – R.M.S. Titanic, an Olympic class ocean liner, embarks from Southampton on its first and last voyage.

1925The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is published.
1941 – Axis powers establish the State of Croatia from occupied Yugoslavia.

1953 – Warner Bros. releases the first 3-D feature film from a major American studio, The House of Wax.
1957 – The Suez Canal is reopened for shipping after being closed for three months due to a British-French-Israeli invasion of Egypt.
1963 – Submarine U.S.S. Thresher sinks; 129 sailors are lost.
1970 – Paul McCartney announces that he is leaving the Beatles for personal and professional reasons.
1971 – People’s Republic of China, in an attempt to thaw U.S.-Chinese relations, hosts the American table tennis team for a week-long visit.
1972 – Tombs containing ancient Chinese documents dating back to the Han Dynasty are discovered by accident by construction workers.

1972 – Seventy-four nations sign the Biological Weapons Convention, the first multilateral disarmament treaty, which bans the production of all biological weapons.
1979 – “Terrible Tuesday,” an outbreak of tornadoes near the Red River Valley at Wichita Falls, Texas, kills 58 and injures 100.
1998 – Northern Ireland peace deal reached, the Good Friday Agreement.

Quote of the Day
“I used to think anyone doing anything weird was weird. Now I know that it is the people calling other people weird that are weird.” - Paul McCartney

Word of the Day
Nihilism n. nı̄ (h)ə li zəm

Definition: The belief that traditional morals, ideas, beliefs, etc., have no worth or value.

Example:“If all men lead mechanical, unpoetical lifes, this is the real nihilism, the real undoing of the world. – Reginald Blythe

Today is
ASPCA Day
Encourage a Young Writer day
Cinnamon Crescent Day
Global Day to End Child Abuse
Salvation Army Founder’s Day
International Safety Pin Day
Golfer’s Day
National Sibling Day

Thanks Bay4 dear one

Old 04-10-2016, 11:36 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Today’s Questions

70 years ago? (1946) My parents had been married 11 years in east Texas. I was still in a 3 year waiting line in Heaven.

60 years ago? (1956) I was living as a 6/7 year old on the Texas Gulf Coast with my parents and three or four siblings. This was the year my then 16 year old brother joined the Air Force by lying about his age so he was around only a part of 1956.

50 years ago? (1966) I was a starting senior in high school in the "Pineywoods" of deep east Texas. This is the year I bought my sky blue 1956 Ford Fairlane with a V8 Thunderbird engine ($300).

40 years ago? (1976) My Air Force time had come and gone, I had been married for four years and I was one year away from finishing my undergraduate degree in New Mexico. My daughter was two years old.

30 years ago? (1986) This was a period when I began to realize how short life is. By 1986 we had recently transferred with my agency from New Orleans to Lubbock where we had bought our first brick home in the fast growing SW area of town. It was at this time my agency first began talking about closing the Lubbock office and making me move to Brownsville or Austin, Texas. This move would have been at no increase in salary. Instead, I was able to land a staff-level biological position in the agency's D.C. headquarter offices at a much higher grade. By this time in my life, I was thinking more and more about retirement.

20 years ago? (1996) We had moved back to a regional level office in the Southwest in another Federal agency and I had taken an early retirement. By 1996, I was managing a small rental house and some inexpensive commercial properties in western Texas that my wife's family had left to her.

10 years ago? (2006) Tired of being a landlord, we had sold all the rental properties and were then searching for a retirement farm on the Texas South Plains to purchase. Short story is that we did find a farm and it is from that farm that I write this reply.

Interesting approach to QOTD BayArea!

I wish everyone has a restful Sunday.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:38 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Today’s Questions

70 years ago?

60 years ago? Living on Hickam AFB in Hawaii and having a great time.

50 years ago? In high school in Kansas.

40 years ago? Working in Chicago.

30 years ago? Working in Texas

20 years ago? Still working in Texas

10 years ago? 2 years from retirement in Texas.

Today in History:
832 – Halley’s Comet makes its closest approach to Earth at a distance equal to 5.1 million kilometres or3.2 million miles.
1606 – The Virginia Company of London is established by royal charter by James I of England for the purpose of establishing colonial settlements in North America.
1790 – President George Washington signs the first U.S. Patent Act.

1815 – Mount Tambora in Indonesia begins a three-month eruption, the longest volcanic eruption in history. It kills 70,000 people and affects the climate worldwide for the next two years.
1849 – The safety pin is patented by Walter Hunt of New York. He sells the rights to his invention for $400.

1858 – Big Ben is recast in London as a replacement for the original, larger bell, which had cracked during testing.
1864 - Archduke Maximilian of Habsburg is proclaimed Emperor of Mexico.
1866 – The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is founded in New York City by philanthropist and diplomat Henry Bergh.
1887 - On Easter Day, Pope Leo XIII authorizes the establishment of The Catholic University of America.
1912 – R.M.S. Titanic, an Olympic class ocean liner, embarks from Southampton on its first and last voyage.

1925The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is published.
1941 – Axis powers establish the State of Croatia from occupied Yugoslavia.

1953 – Warner Bros. releases the first 3-D feature film from a major American studio, The House of Wax.
1957 – The Suez Canal is reopened for shipping after being closed for three months due to a British-French-Israeli invasion of Egypt.
1963 – Submarine U.S.S. Thresher sinks; 129 sailors are lost.
1970 – Paul McCartney announces that he is leaving the Beatles for personal and professional reasons.
1971 – People’s Republic of China, in an attempt to thaw U.S.-Chinese relations, hosts the American table tennis team for a week-long visit.
1972 – Tombs containing ancient Chinese documents dating back to the Han Dynasty are discovered by accident by construction workers.

1972 – Seventy-four nations sign the Biological Weapons Convention, the first multilateral disarmament treaty, which bans the production of all biological weapons.
1979 – “Terrible Tuesday,” an outbreak of tornadoes near the Red River Valley at Wichita Falls, Texas, kills 58 and injures 100.
1998 – Northern Ireland peace deal reached, the Good Friday Agreement.

Quote of the Day
“I used to think anyone doing anything weird was weird. Now I know that it is the people calling other people weird that are weird.” - Paul McCartney

Word of the Day
Nihilism n. nı̄ (h)ə li zəm

Definition: The belief that traditional morals, ideas, beliefs, etc., have no worth or value.

Example:“If all men lead mechanical, unpoetical lifes, this is the real nihilism, the real undoing of the world. – Reginald Blythe

Today is
ASPCA Day
Encourage a Young Writer day
Cinnamon Crescent Day
Global Day to End Child Abuse
Salvation Army Founder’s Day
International Safety Pin Day
Golfer’s Day
National Sibling Day

Thank you, BA4. This was fun.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
50 years ago? In first grade

40 years ago? Had my first boyfriend Larry

30 years ago? Lived in a trailer park with a guy and my son...just had a dream about him last night...

20 years ago? 1996 is a big blur. ..

10 years ago? Living in the suburbs...just about to find out my husbands son had a baby boy. .

Old 04-10-2016, 02:04 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Today’s Questions

50 years ago? In kindergarten, living in San Diego.

40 years ago? In high school, member of the band, getting good grades.

30 years ago? Working full-time at an insurance company, my first job in that industry.

20 years ago? Working full-time still in the insurance business, with a different company. Living in my current home.

10 years ago? Took a job working at a large telecomunications company where I worked for close to 5 years.

I hope everyone is having a fun day on Sunday.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:28 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Today’s Questions

70 years ago?
60 years ago?
50 years ago?
40 years ago?
30 years ago?
20 years ago?
10 years ago?
Good timeline question(s), but too late for so much thinking; besides, if I told you, everyone would know!

Thanks Bay for Sunday's QotD!

Enjoy All!
You must be in the same witness protection program as wit-nit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics