Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 05:07 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,867,936 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
What age did you consider yourself to be a real grown up? When I went to college, so I had just turned 18.
-Was there a defining moment or a gradual realization? Defining moment... college. I felt very independent.

Do you buy lottery scratch off tickets? Don't
-If so, have you won much?

A time or place you threw darts: College again. In a bar.

When was the last time you went out for a night on the town? End of March. Went to a play with a friend.

Have you looked up anything on library microfilm? Not since college....

Wait and fashion comes back. Can you tell us any fashion(s) that only SEEM new again? Only thing I can think is that back in the late '90s my daughters wore "sailor pants." Wide legs, a little like bell bottoms & they had buttons on the front. I wore similar pants in the '70s.

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
Do you buy drinks by the
-Case? Have bought cases of wine.
-Six packs?
-Other multi-pack?
What kinds of drinks?

If I have pizza I want a Coke with it, even if I just have water.
-Are there any foods that make you crave a specific drink? Not really.

Just for fun:
If you could spend a few days in a remote place like a lighthouse or a forest firewatch station, would you? Absolutely would love to stay in a lighthouse!

Today's Funny Quote:
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
~ Stephen Wright, stand up comedian

Today’s Word:
wend [wend] verb, wended or (Archaic) went; wending
to proceed or go, ex. to wend one's way

Today's "Stately" Picture:
Alabama. Middle Bay lighthouse on Mobile Bay, built in 1885, now an unmanned weather station.
Kinda cool. Would be fun to explore or stay there a while. Btw the bay is technically an estuary with an
average depth of 10 feet. But the ship channel can be as deep as 75 ft. ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Bay

Made freely available on pixabay.com
I'd stay here too!

Wishing you safe harbor and a happy Thursday! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 05:28 AM

126,218 posts, read 18,950,771 times
Hello, everyone, here are . . .

Today's Questions:
What age did you consider yourself to be a real grown up? 21 was considered grownup but I feel I am at times still a child at heart
-Was there a defining moment or a gradual realization? not really

Do you buy lottery scratch off tickets? never did

A time or place you threw darts: years ago in our old garage

When was the last time you went out for a night on the town? I don't really care much for that but did it last year in Europe
-What did you do? friends and us went to a fancy restaurant and afterwards dancing

Have you looked up anything on library microfilm? never

Wait and fashion comes back. Can you tell us any fashion(s) that only SEEM new again?

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
Do you buy drinks by the
-Case? beer/wine/champagne
-Six packs?
-Other multi-pack?
What kinds of drinks? beer/wine/champagne

-Are there any foods that make you crave a specific drink? beer and pizza,caviar/smoked salmon and Champagne,pasta and red wine,any East Indian food and the lassi drink

Just for fun:
If you could spend a few days in a remote place like a lighthouse or a forest firewatch station, would you? Yes of course
-If not one of those places, where, remote or otherwise? I would love it but would prefer more a mountain cabin way up in the Alps

Today in History:
1788 Maryland became the 7th state to ratify the US Constitution
1789 William Bligh and 18 sailors set adrift in a small boat during the mutiny on the Bounty
1869 Laborers on 1st US Transcontinental Railroad laid a record 10 miles of track in one day
1930 1st night game in the history of organized baseball in Independence, Kansas
1947 Thor Heyerdahl set out from Peru on raft Kon-Tiki to demonstrate South Americans could have settled Polynesia
1952 Post wWII US occupation of Japan ended as the Treaty of San Francisco came into force

Today's Funny Quote:

Today’s Word:
wend [wend] verb, wended or (Archaic) went; wending
to proceed or go, ex. to wend one's way

Today Includes:
Blueberry Pie Day
Poem In Your Pocket Day
Walking early morning at dawn
when I encountered a fawn
it was standing so still
close to an old mill.
It's mother was grazing nearby
with a watchful eye.
I felt at peace
my heart and soul at ease.
By Alm

Take Our Daughters & Sons to Work Day

This Week Includes:
Sky Awareness Week

Today's "Stately" Picture:
Alabama. Middle Bay lighthouse on Mobile Bay, built in 1885, now an unmanned weather station.
Kinda cool. Would be fun to explore or stay there a while. Btw the bay is technically an estuary with an
average depth of 10 feet. But the ship channel can be as deep as 75 ft. ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Bay

Made freely available on pixabay.com...nice picture bjh

Wishing you safe harbor and a happy Thursday!

Thank you bjh

Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 AM

36,380 posts, read 15,981,220 times
Today's Questions:
What age did you consider yourself to be a real grown up? I'll let you know when I get there
-Was there a defining moment or a gradual realization?

Do you buy lottery scratch off tickets?
-If so, have you won much? My Dad buys them occasionally , not much $$

A time or place you threw darts: Long ago, Dad had custom made darts, fun times.

When was the last time you went out for a night on the town?
-What did you do?

Have you looked up anything on library microfilm? yes early 90's for some genealogy stuff.

Wait and fashion comes back. Can you tell us any fashion(s) that only SEEM new again? Don't pay that much attention.

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
Do you buy drinks by the
-Case? Water
-Six packs?
-Other multi-pack?
What kinds of drinks?

-Are there any foods that make you crave a specific drink? Mexican food, diet coke.

Just for fun:
If you could spend a few days in a remote place like a lighthouse or a forest firewatch station, would you?
-If not one of those places, where, remote or otherwise?

Old 04-28-2016, 06:09 AM

9,707 posts, read 14,206,718 times
bjh;43858921]Hello, everyone, here are . . .
Today's Questions:
What age did you consider yourself to be a real grown up?
I guess when I started working nights and weekends, at age 16 when I was in high school. That first job was in a nursing home and I was a "record keeper". I saw a lot, and my eyes were opened to what could be in store for me.
-Was there a defining moment or a gradual realization? It was a defining moment, and I've fought "growing old" since I was 16. I think that's why I'm still healthy and working 40-60 hours/week at age 76.

Do you buy lottery scratch off tickets? No scratch off tickets...can't win.
-If so, have you won much? We play 3-4 digit numbers. People would say I'm lying if I revealed how much we've won. We've beaten the odds many times.

A time or place you threw darts:
never did that

When was the last time you went out for a night on the town? Every Friday and Saturday night
-What did you do? We love supporting live music (local bands)

Have you looked up anything on library microfilm? No. But, I spend a lot of time in our local County Administration Bldg. searching real estate records (work related).

Wait and fashion comes back. Can you tell us any fashion(s) that only SEEM new again? I see bell bottoms now and then, again

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
Do you buy drinks by the
-Case? No
-Six packs? Miniature Pepsi 6 packs now and then, and they last a week or more
Other multi-pack? N/A
What kinds of drinks? N/A

-Are there any foods that make you crave a specific drink? Ginger Ale with saltines

Just for fun:
If you could spend a few days in a remote place like a lighthouse or a forest firewatch station, would you? No
-If not one of those places, where, remote or otherwise? N/A

Wishing you safe harbor and a happy Thursday!

Thanks, bjh! Hope you have a "winning" day!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:52 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
[quote=bjh;43858921]
Today's Questions:

Well, when we were little kids Grown Ups were a species unto themselves, even if Mommie and Daddy were Grown Ups....they were really BIG, and not just in size. The magic of that term wore down for most kids, I think, by jr. high or early high school. But we still wanted to be grown up ourselves....and get into that world of freedom and privilege (a good deal of it pretty unrealistic.) College was the big deal, never want to be Grown Ups like the fuddy duddies and squares, but sure wanted to be grown up!

For the eighteen years after college I went nuts, and screwed a lot of things up royally and then would get it right and screw it up royally again....most of it in Manhattan, some travelling.

Finally in 1979 it really came together fast: like you have done all this messing around, and you have yet to put it together into learning-from-experience, jerk!

So, the moment was in Spring 1979 as I recall.

Do you buy lottery scratch off tickets? No

A time or place you threw darts: Yeah, a few bars

When was the last time you went out for a night on the town? Probably in the 80's!
-What did you do?

Have you looked up anything on library microfilm? Never

Wait and fashion comes back. Can you tell us any fashion(s) that only SEEM new again?

I'm not very aware of it. I am still wearing and buying the same clothes that I was in my early forties, and that it thirty-eight years ago.

I do remember girls in mini-skirts, and then that vanished, but now ultra-short skirts have been in fashion again for quite awhile.

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
Do you buy drinks by the one or two at a time
-Case?
-Six packs?
-Other multi-pack?
What kinds of drinks?

-Are there any foods that make you crave a specific drink? There is a local orange soda that I like to drink with my meals, though I often feel guilt-ridden and penitential and drink water instead.

Just for fun:
If you could spend a few days in a remote place like a lighthouse or a forest firewatch station, would you?
-If not one of those places, where, remote or otherwise? I would probably prefer a cabin somewhere. The idea of being stuck up in the air is not especially appealing, though it might be interesting.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:34 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,233,096 times
Today's Questions:
What age did you consider yourself to be a real grown up? When I was 18-19
Just gradual.
Do you buy lottery scratch off tickets? Rarely
-If so, have you won much? The most I've ever seen someone win was $100. My father gives me his losing tickets since I put them into a rewards program my state does. It turns out one that we all thought was a loser was a winner!

When I was a kid I had an electronic dartboard that I played all the time. You can still see holes all over where it used to be from where I missed completely.
-What did you do?
Hasn't been anytime lately. I would have to go with back in October when we went to Ocean City. I normally work on the weekends.
Have you looked up anything on library microfilm?
When I was a high school we had a reader but I never used it.
I have no clue. I know next to nothing about fashion.

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
Do you buy drinks by the
-Case?
-Six packs?
-Other multi-pack?
What kinds of drinks?
N/A, I'm not the one who buys drinks.
-Are there any foods that make you crave a specific drink?
No

Just for fun:
Sure, why not? I could use a vacation.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:30 AM

27,290 posts, read 27,344,222 times
Last time I did darts was as a kid with my cousins in the back yard....back when they were metal darts.
Night on the town, nope, can't even remember.
Sadly there aren't to many remote places anymore but some camp grounds back by Lake Michigan were Pretty secluded, even a light house on the shore. I'll take a quiet secluded place anytime!

Old 04-28-2016, 10:03 AM

24,374 posts, read 25,884,527 times
Today's Questions:

I would say defining, it happened quickly.

Do you buy lottery scratch off tickets?
Haven't bought any lately.

$5.00

Years ago at a friends house.

-What did you do?
Probably dinner.

Have you looked up anything on library microfilm?
Only at work.

Haven't noticed

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
Do you buy drinks by the
-Case?
-Six packs?
-Other multi-pack?
What kinds of drinks?
Water, Pepsi and beer.

-Are there any foods that make you crave a specific drink?
Mexican food needs beer, cookies need milk, popcorn needs Pepsi.

Just for fun:
I'll take the forest firewatch station, but it better have a elevator.

Gotta be remote.

Thanx bjh.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:12 AM

4,039 posts, read 2,900,255 times
Today's Questions:
-Was there a defining moment or a gradual realization? Probably when I was 22 and started my first teaching job.

Do you buy lottery scratch off tickets? Nope.

A time or place you threw darts: Not since my mid-20s at a friend's.

When was the last time you went out for a night on the town? Last Saturday.
-What did you do? Joined friends at a pizza pub -- drank, ate, laughed!

Have you looked up anything on library microfilm? Not for years.

Wait and fashion comes back. Can you tell us any fashion(s) that only SEEM new again?1930s flapper-style dresses are in with celebrities.

Do you buy drinks by the
-Case?
-Six packs?
-Other multi-pack?
What kinds of drinks - water. I'm not a soda drinker.

-Are there any foods that make you crave a specific drink? Must have a wine with my dinner when I go out .

If you could spend a few days in a remote place like a lighthouse or a forest firewatch station, would you? I would!

Thanks bjh and happy day everyone!

Last edited by KiwiKate; 04-28-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 11:05 AM

7,986 posts, read 5,359,338 times
[/u]What age did you consider yourself to be a real grown up? Probably when I become a home owner

Do you buy lottery scratch off tickets? Once in a blue moon. If I go to a small New Year's Party I normally buy enough for everyone there.
-If so, have you won much? A few dollars here and there

A time or place you threw darts: Been a long time, we have a nice dart board and very nice darts downstairs. Hmmm, I think I will play a game or two today.

When was the last time you went out for a night on the town? A few months ago
-What did you do? Dinner at a nice restaurant, went to a Broadway Play in NYC

Have you looked up anything on library microfilm? A long, long time ago

Wait and fashion comes back. Can you tell us any fashion(s) that only SEEM new again? Oh gosh--high waisted pants are coming back. ugh!

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
Do you buy drinks by the
-Case?
-Six packs?
-Other multi-pack?
What kinds of drinks? I drink water all the time. Have a water filter at home. Drink a cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of wine in the evening.

-Are there any foods that make you crave a specific drink? Dark chocolate with Merlot

Just for fun:

Today in History:
[/b]1788 Maryland became the 7th state to ratify the US Constitution
1789 William Bligh and 18 sailors set adrift in a small boat during the mutiny on the Bounty
1869 Laborers on 1st US Transcontinental Railroad laid a record 10 miles of track in one day
1930 1st night game in the history of organized baseball in Independence, Kansas
1947 Thor Heyerdahl set out from Peru on raft Kon-Tiki to demonstrate South Americans could have settled Polynesia
1952 Post wWII US occupation of Japan ended as the Treaty of San Francisco came into force

Today's Funny Quote:

This Week Includes:
Sky Awareness Week A bit cloudy today

Wishing you a super duper day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics