Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:01 AM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 19, 2016, and Happy Father’s Day to all the dads, stepdads, grandfathers, fathers-to-be, foster fathers and those who have been like a father to someone. You are loved and appreciated for all you do.

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Gemini. Some famous people who share your birthday are mathematician and philosopher Blaise Pascal; Moe Howard of the Three Stooges; rocker Ann Wilson of Heart; bandleader Guy Lombardo; baseball legend Lou Gehrig; U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas; actresses Gena Rowlands, Phylicia Rashad, Kathleen Turner and Zoe Saldana; actors Pat Buttram and Louis Jourdan; musicians Lester Flatt and Mark DeBarge; author Salman Rushdie; singer, dancer and reality show judge Paula Abdul and film critic Pauline Kael. <<< Great people, but not me...

Today’s Question:
In a few days we will reach the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, the longest period of daylight and shortest night of the year. Do the longer days and shorter nights (or vice-versa in the Southern Hemisphere) affect you in any way, and if so, how?

I love those long days!!!They affect my mood. Make me happy

Bonus Question:
Today is the birthday of 19th century English land agent Charles Boycott, whose ostracism by Irish nationalists gave rise to the term “to boycott.” Have you ever boycotted anyone or anything, and why? Have you ever been boycotted?

When I was a teen - I boycotted everything!!

Just For Fun:
Technology is getting more challenging all the time. When was the last time a mechanical object or electronic gizmo confused or frustrated you so much that you wanted to beat your head against the wall, say naughty words and/or time travel back to 1953?

When an Interactive Voice Response system's making me navigate an endless menu of options

Today in History: <<< Now this is a very interesting list!!!
0240 BC - Eratosthenes estimates the circumference of the Earth using two sticks.
1586 - English colonists sail away from Roanoke Island, NC after failing to establish England's first permanent settlement in America.
1778 - U.S. General George Washington's troops leave Valley Forge after a winter of training.
1821 - The Ottomans defeat the Greeks at the Battle of Dragasani.
1846 – First organized baseball game: The New York Knickerbocker Club plays the New York Club at the Elysian Field, Hoboken, NJ.
1862 - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln outlines his Emancipation Proclamation, which outlaws slavery in U.S. territories.
1864 - The USS Kearsarge sinks the CSS Alabama off the coast of Cherbourg, France.
1865 - The emancipation of slaves is proclaimed in Texas.
1867 - In New York, the Belmont Stakes is run for the first time.
1873 - Eadweard Muybridge successfully photographs a horse named "Sallie Gardner" in fast motion using a series of 24 stereoscopic cameras. This is considered the first step toward motion pictures.
1903 – A young Italian schoolteacher, Benito Mussolini, is placed under investigation by police in Bern, Switzerland.
1910 - The first Father's Day is celebrated in Spokane, Washington.
1911 - In Pennsylvania, the first motion-picture censorship board is established.
1912 - The U.S. government establishes the 8-hour work day.
1917 - During World War I, King George V orders the British royal family to dispense with German titles and surnames.
1933 - France grants political asylum to Russian revolutionary leader Leon Trotsky.
1934 - The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration is established.
1934 - The U.S. Congress established the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The commission will later regulate radio and TV broadcasting .
1937 - The town of Bilbao, Spain, falls to the Nationalist forces.
1939 - In Atlanta, GA, legislation is enacted banning pinball machines in the city.
1942 - Norma Jeane Mortenson (Marilyn Monroe), age 16, and her 21-year-old neighbor Jimmy Dougherty are married. They divorce in June of 1946.
1942 - British Prime Minister Winston Churchill arrives in Washington, DC, to discuss the invasion of North Africa with U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
1943 – Future Nixon secretary of state Henry Kissinger becomes a naturalized United States citizen.
1943 - The National Football League approves the merger of the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
1944 - The U.S. wins the battle of the Philippine Sea against the Imperial Japanese fleet.
1951 - U.S. President Harry S Truman signs the Universal Military Training and Service Act, which extends Selective Service until July 1, 1955 and lowers the draft age to 18.
1952 – Long-running TV game show "I've Got a Secret" debuts on CBS.
1958 - In Washington, DC, nine entertainers refuse to answer a congressional committee's questions on communism.
1961 - Kuwait regains complete independence from Britain.
1961 - The U.S. Supreme Court strikes down a provision in Maryland's constitution that requires state officeholders to profess a belief in God.
1964 - The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is approved after surviving an 83-day filibuster in the U.S. Senate.
1965 - Air Marshall Nguyen Cao Ky becomes South Vietnam's youngest premier at age 34.
1968 - 50,000 people march on Washington, D.C. to support the Poor People's Campaign.
1973 - The Case-Church Amendment prevents further U.S. involvement in Southeast Asia.
1973 – Baseball star Pete Rose of the Cincinnati Reds gets his 2,000th career hit.
1973 - The stage production of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" opens in London.
1973 - Gordie Howe leaves the NHL to join his sons Mark and Marty in the WHA (World Hockey League).
1978 – The comic strip “Garfield” debuts in newspapers around the U.S..
1981 - "Superman II" sets the all-time, one-day record for theater box-office receipts when it takes in $5.5 million.
1981 - The European Space Agency sends two satellites into orbit from Kourou, French Guiana.
1983 - Lixian-nian is chosen to be China's first president since 1969.
1987 - The U.S. Supreme Court strikes down the Louisiana law that requires schools to teach creationism.
1989 - The movie "Batman" premieres.
1997 - William Hague becomes the youngest leader of Britain's Conservative party in nearly 200 years.
1998 - Gateway is fined more than $400,000 for illegally shipping personal computers to 16 countries subject to U.S. export controls.
1998 - A study is released which says that cigarette smoking more than doubles the risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer's.
1998 - Switzerland's three largest banks offer $600 million to settle claims they'd stolen the assets of Holocaust victims during World War II. Jewish leaders call the offer insultingly low.
1999 – Author Stephen King is struck from behind and seriously injured by a mini-van while walking along a road in Maine.
1999 - The Dallas Stars win their first NHL Stanley Cup by defeating the Buffalo Sabres in the third overtime of game six.
2000 - The U.S. Supreme Court rules that a group prayer led by students at public-school football games violates the 1st Amendment's principle that calls for the separation of church and state.

Word of the Day:
palimpsest /’palǝm(p)・sest/ noun
1. A manuscript or piece of writing, especially an ancient one, which has been wiped clean and written over, but traces of the original remain.
2. Something reused or altered but still bearing traces of its original form.
Example: “Sutton Place is a palimpsest of the taste of successive owners.”

Quote of the Day:
“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.”
- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

Today Is:
Father’s Day (U.S.)
National Kissing Day

Thank you, baja!!
Happy and relaxing Sunday, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 03:53 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,991 times
Today’s Question:
In a few days we will reach the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, the longest period of daylight and shortest night of the year. Do the longer days and shorter nights (or vice-versa in the Southern Hemisphere) affect you in any way, and if so, how? I sleep more in the winter, but then I'm working more too. I do love the longer days, spending time outside later.

Bonus Question:
Today is the birthday of 19th century English land agent Charles Boycott, whose ostracism by Irish nationalists gave rise to the term “to boycott.” Have you ever boycotted anyone or anything, and why? Have you ever been boycotted? Have boycotted companies and I guess people. With companies it's about policies and with people.... negativity, mostly.

Just For Fun:
Technology is getting more challenging all the time. When was the last time a mechanical object or electronic gizmo confused or frustrated you so much that you wanted to beat your head against the wall, say naughty words and/or time travel back to 1953? Can I go now? I am often confused & frustrated with technology; think naughty words... My brother once got so annoyed he took the computer to the back field and used it for target practice.

Enjoy your day, all!

Old 06-19-2016, 04:10 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Today’s Question:
In a few days we will reach the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, the longest period of daylight and shortest night of the year. Do the longer days and shorter nights (or vice-versa in the Southern Hemisphere) affect you in any way, and if so, how?

i much prefer more daylight. My husband is even more affected - he probably does have seasonal affectiveness disorder - so the effect it has on his mood has a trickle down effect for me as well.

Bonus Question:
Today is the birthday of 19th century English land agent Charles Boycott, whose ostracism by Irish nationalists gave rise to the term “to boycott.” Have you ever boycotted anyone or anything, and why? Have you ever been boycotted?

several things over the years - but I've never been a hardcore political activism boycotter

Just For Fun:[/font]
Technology is getting more challenging all the time. When was the last time a mechanical object or electronic gizmo confused or frustrated you so much that you wanted to beat your head against the wall, say naughty words and/or time travel back to 1953?

hmmmm I can't recall! This better not have jinxed me!

Thanks and enjoy your Sunday! Happy Father's Day to the dads on the thread!

Old 06-19-2016, 04:12 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
they affect my electric bill
yes - still boycotting quinton t. .. , nope
maybe a few years ago

Old 06-19-2016, 05:35 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
Today’s Question:
In a few days we will reach the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, the longest period of daylight and shortest night of the year. Do the longer days and shorter nights (or vice-versa in the Southern Hemisphere) affect you in any way, and if so, how? .............I love the longer days. We often take advantage of the longer days to get our work done.

Bonus Question:
Today is the birthday of 19th century English land agent Charles Boycott, whose ostracism by Irish nationalists gave rise to the term “to boycott.” Have you ever boycotted anyone or anything, and why? Have you ever been boycotted? Not that I recall. ............I boycott any business that interjects politics into my business dealings. I have my views they have theirs. I'm there to do business not to be preached at.

Just For Fun:
Technology is getting more challenging all the time. When was the last time a mechanical object or electronic gizmo confused or frustrated you so much that you wanted to beat your head against the wall, say naughty words and/or time travel back to 1953? That's almost a daily thing with this damn computer system. .................During an update on one of my IPads the update totally screwed up my ability to send out photos in messages. Nobody has been able to fix it. It was a common problem with that update. None of Apples solutions work either.

Happy Father's Day!

Old 06-19-2016, 06:19 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Today’s Question:
Once I get use to it, I'm fine. I like to go to bed early, so sometimes it's not dark yet

Bonus Question:

I have boycotted people, places and things, usually not forever though.

Just For Fun:

It's frustrating for sure, and probably going to get worse. Last year Dad cut is cell phone in 1/2 with a band saw

Old 06-19-2016, 07:37 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Bayarea4;44465440]Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 19, 2016,

My work schedule revolves around daylight. Long days provide me more time to schedule my appointments. I need daylight to perform my job.

I'm set in my ways, so I won't buy foods from companies (like Heinz ketchup) and won't support musicians if they are not the same political party I am, whether I like their music or not. Call me crazy, but at 76, I don't care who knows. Don't think I've ever been boycotted, but that may happen after this post. Thanks, Bayarea4!

Old 06-19-2016, 10:06 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,709 times
Today’s Question:
Yes, compared to the winter, it feels so nice to be able to be outside at 8:00 and still have light.

Bonus Question:
Nope

Just For Fun:
Yes, yes, yes! Itunes is the big one that comes to mind. I am the IT person of the house, so when something goes wrong, I'm the one that gets to fix it. I don't use it myself (I hate digital music and apps), but it seems like I spend more time fixing something with it than anything else tech related. It's a big bloated program that needs to stop updating so darned often and needs a new name, since music is almost pushed in the back corner now, in favor of apps and other junk.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:23 AM

24,470 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Today’s Question:

I like the longer hours of daylight and the warmer/hotter weather and I get to break out my shorts and put away my hoodie and jeans.

Bonus Question:
Not yet, but I'm getting ready to boycott our local paper because the boneheads can't resolve a billing issue.

Just For Fun:
This is a issue for me. Why do they make changes in some software or OS's that don't work as well as what you were using.

Thanx Bay for the Q's.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:59 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 19, 2016, and Happy Father’s Day to all the dads, stepdads, grandfathers, fathers-to-be, foster fathers and those who have been like a father to someone. You are loved and appreciated for all you do.
Thank you!
If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Gemini. Some famous people who share your birthday are mathematician and philosopher Blaise Pascal; Moe Howard of the Three Stooges; rocker Ann Wilson of Heart; bandleader Guy Lombardo; baseball legend Lou Gehrig; U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas; actresses Gena Rowlands, Phylicia Rashad, Kathleen Turner and Zoe Saldana; actors Pat Buttram and Louis Jourdan; musicians Lester Flatt and Mark DeBarge; author Salman Rushdie; singer, dancer and reality show judge Paula Abdul and film critic Pauline Kael.

Today’s Question:

Not getting dark until 8:30 PM is just weird.

Bonus Question:

Just For Fun:

Today in History:
0240 BC - Eratosthenes estimates the circumference of the Earth using two sticks.
1586 - English colonists sail away from Roanoke Island, NC after failing to establish England's first permanent settlement in America.
1778 - U.S. General George Washington's troops leave Valley Forge after a winter of training.
1821 - The Ottomans defeat the Greeks at the Battle of Dragasani.
1846 – First organized baseball game: The New York Knickerbocker Club plays the New York Club at the Elysian Field, Hoboken, NJ.
1862 - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln outlines his Emancipation Proclamation, which outlaws slavery in U.S. territories.
1864 - The USS Kearsarge sinks the CSS Alabama off the coast of Cherbourg, France.
1865 - The emancipation of slaves is proclaimed in Texas.
1867 - In New York, the Belmont Stakes is run for the first time.
1873 - Eadweard Muybridge successfully photographs a horse named "Sallie Gardner" in fast motion using a series of 24 stereoscopic cameras. This is considered the first step toward motion pictures.
1903 – A young Italian schoolteacher, Benito Mussolini, is placed under investigation by police in Bern, Switzerland.
1910 - The first Father's Day is celebrated in Spokane, Washington.
1911 - In Pennsylvania, the first motion-picture censorship board is established.
1912 - The U.S. government establishes the 8-hour work day.
1917 - During World War I, King George V orders the British royal family to dispense with German titles and surnames.
1933 - France grants political asylum to Russian revolutionary leader Leon Trotsky.
1934 - The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration is established.
1934 - The U.S. Congress established the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The commission will later regulate radio and TV broadcasting .
1937 - The town of Bilbao, Spain, falls to the Nationalist forces.
1939 - In Atlanta, GA, legislation is enacted banning pinball machines in the city.
1942 - Norma Jeane Mortenson (Marilyn Monroe), age 16, and her 21-year-old neighbor Jimmy Dougherty are married. They divorce in June of 1946.
1942 - British Prime Minister Winston Churchill arrives in Washington, DC, to discuss the invasion of North Africa with U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
1943 – Future Nixon secretary of state Henry Kissinger becomes a naturalized United States citizen.
1943 - The National Football League approves the merger of the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
1944 - The U.S. wins the battle of the Philippine Sea against the Imperial Japanese fleet.
1951 - U.S. President Harry S Truman signs the Universal Military Training and Service Act, which extends Selective Service until July 1, 1955 and lowers the draft age to 18.
1952 – Long-running TV game show "I've Got a Secret" debuts on CBS.
1958 - In Washington, DC, nine entertainers refuse to answer a congressional committee's questions on communism.
1961 - Kuwait regains complete independence from Britain.
1961 - The U.S. Supreme Court strikes down a provision in Maryland's constitution that requires state officeholders to profess a belief in God.
1964 - The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is approved after surviving an 83-day filibuster in the U.S. Senate.
1965 - Air Marshall Nguyen Cao Ky becomes South Vietnam's youngest premier at age 34.
1968 - 50,000 people march on Washington, D.C. to support the Poor People's Campaign.
1973 - The Case-Church Amendment prevents further U.S. involvement in Southeast Asia.
1973 – Baseball star Pete Rose of the Cincinnati Reds gets his 2,000th career hit.
1973 - The stage production of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" opens in London.
1973 - Gordie Howe leaves the NHL to join his sons Mark and Marty in the WHA (World Hockey League).
1978 – The comic strip “Garfield” debuts in newspapers around the U.S..
1981 - "Superman II" sets the all-time, one-day record for theater box-office receipts when it takes in $5.5 million.
1981 - The European Space Agency sends two satellites into orbit from Kourou, French Guiana.
1983 - Lixian-nian is chosen to be China's first president since 1969.
1987 - The U.S. Supreme Court strikes down the Louisiana law that requires schools to teach creationism.
1989 - The movie "Batman" premieres.
1997 - William Hague becomes the youngest leader of Britain's Conservative party in nearly 200 years.
1998 - Gateway is fined more than $400,000 for illegally shipping personal computers to 16 countries subject to U.S. export controls.
1998 - A study is released which says that cigarette smoking more than doubles the risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer's.
1998 - Switzerland's three largest banks offer $600 million to settle claims they'd stolen the assets of Holocaust victims during World War II. Jewish leaders call the offer insultingly low.
1999 – Author Stephen King is struck from behind and seriously injured by a mini-van while walking along a road in Maine.
1999 - The Dallas Stars win their first NHL Stanley Cup by defeating the Buffalo Sabres in the third overtime of game six.
2000 - The U.S. Supreme Court rules that a group prayer led by students at public-school football games violates the 1st Amendment's principle that calls for the separation of church and state.

Word of the Day:
palimpsest /’palǝm(p)sest/ noun
1. A manuscript or piece of writing, especially an ancient one, which has been wiped clean and written over, but traces of the original remain.
2. Something reused or altered but still bearing traces of its original form.
Example: “Sutton Place is a palimpsest of the taste of successive owners.”

Quote of the Day:
“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from non-religious conviction.”
- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

Today Is:
Father’s Day (U.S.)
National Kissing Day
World Sauntering Day

\

Oops! I completely forgot to answer the questions.
Thanks Bay! Nice job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics