Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:04 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:
Tomorrow is the 4th of July, Independence Day, in the United States. If it’s a holiday for you, what plans do you have for the day? If it’s not a holiday for you, how will you be spending your Monday?
Probably putter around and get a few things done. Maybe catch a fireworks show in the evening.

Bonus Question:
What is the most old-fashioned form of transportation (other than walking, skating or bicycling) that you have ever used? I’m thinking of transportation modes from the past such as horseback riding, hay rides, balloon rides, stagecoach rides, cable cars, steam trains, sleighs or even Model Ts .
Once on the back of an elephant. That must be old-fashioned somewhere. I've ridden a horse and in horse drawn conveyances, but not very often. Ridden trains here and there. Steam boats on the Mississippi. Been on a couple of historical sailing boats, docked, not moving, like the USS Constitution near Boston, Mass. It's a museum with a tour of the ship.

Just For Fun:
Are there any food combinations that you like which other people might find odd? For example, my mother used to make me peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches, and I loved them. What’s your odd combination?
I've told this before. I saw an old cookbook years ago that suggested a peanut butter and green olive sandwich and thought, Whaaaa? Tried it and like it. I still have one once ina while.

If you don’t have one, please think of some outrageous or silly flavor combination that no one would ever want to try. How about some Rutabaga Licorice Swirl ice cream or Teriyaki Salmon and Marshmallow cereal?
I would try a bite of either of those. If the ingredients are fresh, why not?

This question reminds me of a thread i posted in the food forum years ago.
You know, in the days of Yore. ----->>
Create Ben and Jerry's next flavor

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 01:35 PM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Greetings and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, July 3, 2016.

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Cancer. Some famous people who share your birthday are entertainer, composer and playwright George M. Cohan (who claimed to have been “Born on the Fourth of July”); author Franz Kafka; director Ken Russell; playwright Tom Stoppard; Haitian president Jean-Claude Duvalier; actresses Betty Buckley (“Cats”) and Yeardley Smith (“The Simpsons”); comedian Montel Williams; humorist Dave Barry; singer-actress Audra MacDonald; actors George Sanders and Tom Cruise; and baseball player Moises Alou.

Today’s Question:
Tomorrow is the 4th of July, Independence Day, in the United States. If it’s a holiday for you, what plans do you have for the day? If it’s not a holiday for you, how will you be spending your Monday?
WE JUST HAD CANADA DAY and it will be leisurely tomorrow

Bonus Question:
What is the most old-fashioned form of transportation (other than walking, skating or bicycling) that you have ever used? I’m thinking of transportation modes from the past such as horseback riding, hay rides, balloon rides, stagecoach rides, cable cars, steam trains, sleighs or even Model Ts .

HORSE sleds,ski,horseback riding

Just For Fun:
Are there any food combinations that you like which other people might find odd? For example, my mother used to make me peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches, and I loved them. What’s your odd combination? ....... COTTAGE CHEESE with jam

If you don’t have one, please think of some outrageous or silly flavor combination that no one would ever want to try. How about some Rutabaga Licorice Swirl ice cream or Teriyaki Salmon and Marshmallow cereal?

Today in History:
1608 - The city of Québec is founded by Samuel de Champlain.
1775 - U.S. Gen. George Washington takes command of the Continental Army at Cambridge, Massachusetts.
1790 - In Paris, the marquis of Condorcet proposes granting civil rights to women.
1844 - Ambassador Caleb Cushing successfully negotiates a commercial treaty with China that opens five Chinese ports to U.S. merchants and protects the rights of American citizens in China.
1863 - The U.S. Civil War battle of Gettysburg, PA, ends after three days in a major victory for the North.

1871 - The Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad Company introduces the first narrow-gauge locomotive, the "Montezuma."
1878 - John Wise flies the first dirigible in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
1880 - "Science" began publication. Thomas Edison provides the principle funding.
1890 – Idaho becomes the 43rd state to join the United States of America.
1898 - During the Spanish American War, a fleet of Spanish ships in Cuba's Santiago Harbor attempt to run a blockade of U.S. naval forces. Nearly all of the Spanish ships are destroyed in the battle that follows.
1903 - The first cable across the Pacific Ocean is spliced between Honolulu, Midway Island, Guam and Manila.
1912 - Rube Marquard of the New York Giants sets a baseball pitching record when he earns his 19th consecutive win.
1922 - "Fruit Garden and Home" magazine was introduced. It will later be renamed "Better Homes and Gardens."
1924 – Frozen food pioneer Clarence Birdseye founds the General Seafood Corp.
1930 – The U.S. Veterans Administration is created by Congress.
1940 – Comedy team Bud Abbott and Lou Costello debut on NBC radio.
1944 - The U.S. First Army opens a general offensive to break out of the hedgerow area of Normandy, France.
1944 - Soviet forces recapture Minsk.
1945 – U.S. troops land at Balikpapan and take Sepinggan airfield on Borneo in the Pacific.
1945 - The first civilian passenger car built since February 1942 is driven off the assembly line at the Ford Motor Company plant in Detroit, Michigan. Production had been diverted due to World War II.
1950 – U.S. carrier-based planes attack airfields in the Pyongyang-Chinnampo area of North Korea in the first air strike of the Korean War.
1954 - Food rationing ends in Great Britain almost nine years after the end of World War II.
1962 - Jackie Robinson becomes the first African American to be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
1974 - The Threshold Test Ban Treaty is signed, prohibiting underground nuclear weapons tests with yields greater than 150 kilotons.
1981 - The Associated Press runs its first story about two rare illnesses afflicting homosexual men. One of the diseases was later named AIDS.
1986 – U.S. President Ronald Reagan presides over a ceremony in New York Harbor that sees the relighting of the renovated Statue of Liberty.
1986 – Celebrated ballet star Mikhail Baryshnikov becomes a U.S. citizen at Ellis Island, New York Harbor.
1991 – U.S. President George H. W. Bush formally inaugurates the Mount Rushmore National Memorial in South Dakota.
2014 - The Dow Jones Industrial Average closes above 17,000 for the first time.

Word of the Day
(I love this word, it's fun just to say it!):

reciprocity /ˌresəˈpräsədē/ noun
The practice of exchanging things with others for mutual benefit, especially privileges granted by one country or organization to another. (Origin mid 18th century: from French réciprocité, from réciproque, from Latin reciprocus ‘moving backward and forward.’)

Quote of the Day:
“I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.”
- Franz Kafka

Today is
Compliment Your Mirror Day
International Plastic Bag Free Day (No, it's not a day for free plastic bags. It's a day promoting a world free of all plastic bags.)
Stay Out of the Sun Day
Superman Day http://www.supermansupersite.com/supeday.html
THANK YOU Bayarea

Old 07-03-2016, 01:47 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Today’s Question:
Tomorrow is the 4th of July, Independence Day, in the United States. If it’s a holiday for you, what plans do you have for the day? I have a quick meeting at 9:30 a.m. with a woman I'm helping to write bylaws for her club, then lunch with a couple of fellow Kiwis before they head back to New Zealand, then a cookout with friends. A busier-than-usual and pretty non-traditional 4th for me this year.

What is the most old-fashioned form of transportation (other than walking, skating or bicycling) that you have ever used? I’m thinking of transportation modes from the past such as horseback riding, hay rides, balloon rides, stagecoach rides, cable cars, steam trains, sleighs or even Model Ts . A hayride with my kids, many years ago, and before that, a 1938 Morris 8 that I owned back in my penniless teaching days in New Zealand. The Morris 8 had a brass grill, wooden floorboards and a dipstick on the crankshaft inside the car, next to the manual gear shift.

Are there any food combinations that you like which other people might find odd? For example, my mother used to make me peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches, and I loved them. What’s your odd combination? I like ketchup and pepper on toast.

If you don’t have one, please think of some outrageous or silly flavor combination that no one would ever want to try. How about some Rutabaga Licorice Swirl ice cream or Teriyaki Salmon and Marshmallow cereal? How about salmon and raspberry yoghurt?

Thanks B4 and happy Sunday everyone!

Old 07-03-2016, 02:49 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Today’s Question:
Tomorrow is the 4th of July, Independence Day, in the United States. If it’s a holiday for you, what plans do you have for the day? If it’s not a holiday for you, how will you be spending your Monday? - I'll be enjoying the 4th of July just like all true Americans, relaxing.

Bonus Question:
What is the most old-fashioned form of transportation (other than walking, skating or bicycling) that you have ever used? I’m thinking of transportation modes from the past such as horseback riding, hay rides, balloon rides, stagecoach rides, cable cars, steam trains, sleighs or even Model Ts . - I had a 1961 Chevy truck that I restored back in 1987.. that's my idea of old-fashioned (and classic) form of transportation.

Just For Fun:
Are there any food combinations that you like which other people might find odd? For example, my mother used to make me peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches, and I loved them. What’s your odd combination? - LOL.. Odd food combination.. that sounds like anything I cook.. or at least try to cook... Or.. maybe the sushi and... uhmm guacamole combo that I had in January in 2009... Most of you know the story...

If you don’t have one, please think of some outrageous or silly flavor combination that no one would ever want to try. How about some Rutabaga Licorice Swirl ice cream or Teriyaki Salmon and Marshmallow cereal? - The food that I make is dangerous enough, if I thought of anything else, they would probably lock me up...

Old 07-03-2016, 04:51 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Today’s Question:
I was born at 10:00 pm tonight 67 years ago. Maybe I'll just sleep in.

Bonus Question:
What is the most old-fashioned form of transportation (other than walking, skating or bicycling) that you have ever used? I’m thinking of transportation modes from the past such as horseback riding, hay rides, balloon rides, stagecoach rides, cable cars, steam trains, sleighs or even Model Ts. The most old fashioned ride I've ever been on is my late uncle's buckboard pulled by Dixie his old mare. I was around 9 or 10 years old but remember it well.

However, I been on horses, numerous classic cars of the 1920s through the 1960s, any number of antique tractors of the 1930s to 1950s (did that today), several antique motor scooters, a steam powered train, cable cars, a cable tramway, an antique sailing boat and once even a frightened milk cow.

Just For Fun:
Are there any food combinations that you like which other people might find odd? For example, my mother used to make me peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches, and I loved them. What’s your odd combination?

Thanks BA. I hope everyone has a safe Fourth.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:17 PM

21,531 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Today’s Question:
I plan to relax at home with Mr. Bay and prepare a broiled salmon dinner with corn on the cob and roast red potatoes with watermelon and berry pie for dessert. We will probably watch the fireworks on TV.

Bonus Question:
I've ridden a stagecoach at Columbia State Park in the California gold country. They even staged a fake holdup with park volunteers dressed as masked men emerging from the bushes and hijacking the stage. I've also ridden in a dirigible and on a steam train.

Just For Fun:
I've got nothing much to add except the aforementioned peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, but some of the combinations mentioned earlier in the thread are quite intriguing. I'd especially love to try the marshmallow dipped in Kool-Aid powder.

Sriracha licorice milkshakes.

Thank you, everyone, for your contributions. And to those who are celebrating, have a safe, sane and happy 4th!

Old 07-03-2016, 09:57 PM

72,409 posts, read 18,196,480 times
Today’s Question:

Usually we go watch the fireworks but we have a dog right now so we are staying home and watch the shows

Bonus Question:

I have been on that Chinese Tricycle. Not sure what that's called. One person peddling and the others sit behind him

Just For Fun:

I haven't found anything odd yet

Old 07-04-2016, 05:59 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
oops---a day late!

Today’s Question:
It is a holiday for me. Not sure what the plans are---Mother Nature did not get the message in my area that it is the 4th of July--rain and thunderstorms are predicted

Bonus Question:

Just For Fun:
Not really too odd but I like the combination of potato chips and chocolate

Quote of the Day: “I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.”
- Franz Kafka
^ so true

Today is
Compliment Your Mirror Day
International Plastic Bag Free Day (No, it's not a day for free plastic bags. It's a day promoting a world free of all plastic bags.)
Stay Out of the Sun Day
Superman Day http://www.supermansupersite.com/supeday.html[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics