Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:15 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

I hope you're well-rested, and ready to hit the morning Questions.

Onward...

Today's Question(s):
Where is your adult 'hiding place?" It can be a real, or imaginary place (childhood playground, the piano, the island of Nilondin [I made that up just now] , etc.). Where do you go when you want to get away from the rat race?

Bonus Question(s):
Can you see, from where you are sitting, any kind (real, photo, replica, etc.), of any of the following:
a train?
a birdhouse?
a mirror?
a feather?
a plant?
something holding pencils and pens?
pillows?
candy?

Just for Fun:
If money were no object, and you actually had a place to store it, what "exotic" means of transportation would you like to have:
helicopter?
submarine?
dirigible?
unicycle?
other?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1955 Joe Jackson, U.S. singer, pianist
Entertainment: 1985 Michael Jackson buys ATV Music (every Beatles song) for $47 million
Science/Technology: 1990 U.S.'s Magellan spacecraft lands on Venus
Sports: 2014 Rory McIlroy wins the PGA Championship, marking his fourth major championship; McIlroy is now one of only four players in golf history to reach this achievement by age 25

Today’s Word:
depthless
Pronunciation: (DEPTH-les)
Meaning: adjective:
1. Immeasurably deep.
2. Shallow; superficial.
Etymology: From Old English deop (deep) + laes (less).
Earliest documented use: 1619.

Today is:
Lazy Day
National Banana Split Day (U.S.)
National Duran Duran Appreciation Day
Paul Bunyan Day
Skyscraper Appreciation Day
Smithsonian Day
S'mores Day

Quote of the Day:
"The world is like that -- incomprehensible and full of surprises." ~ Jorge Amado ~ (Brazilian writer, also born today, 1912, d. Aug 8, 2001)

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 11:41 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Onward...

Today's Question(s):
Where is your adult 'hiding place?" It can be a real, or imaginary place (childhood playground, the piano, the island of Nilondin [I made that up just now] , etc.). Where do you go when you want to get away from the rat race?
I take a walk in the park across the street, which is an urban forest with walking trails that lead to a commanding view of downtown San Francisco and the bay. Even without the view, it's calming and refreshing to breathe the eucalyptus- and pine-scented air and hear the bird songs echoing back and forth in the treetops.

Bonus Question(s):
Can you see, from where you are sitting, any kind (real, photo, replica, etc.), of any of the following:
a train?
a birdhouse?
a mirror?
a feather?
a plant? Three house plants
pillows? four throw pillows
candy? a dish containing Coffee Rios

Just for Fun:
If money were no object, and you actually had a place to store it, what "exotic" means of transportation would you like to have:
helicopter?
submarine?
dirigible?
unicycle?
other? I'd love to have a restored VW Beetle, late 60s vintage. They are so much fun to drive.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 08-09-2016, 11:43 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today's Question(s):
Where is your adult 'hiding place?" It can be a real, or imaginary place (childhood playground, the piano, the island of Nilondin [I made that up just now] , etc.). Where do you go when you want to get away from the rat race? My theater room.

Bonus Question(s):
a train?
a birdhouse?
a mirror?
a feather?
a plant?
pillows?
candy?

Just for Fun:
helicopter?
submarine?
dirigible?
unicycle?
other?

Old 08-10-2016, 12:22 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,790 times
Today's Question(s):

My study room (converted bedroom really), is my immediate hidy-hole; but sometimes not even that is good enough. I think that's why I go on long runs through the countryside on a daily basis; or if I can't be bothered to run, I will get on my motorcycle and ride through England's green and pleasant land, find a small cafe in the middle of nowhere, and just drink tea, eat a tea-cake and just "unwind" with Nature rather than with technology.

Bonus Question(s):
a train? no
a birdhouse? no
a mirror? no
a feather? no
a plant? yes, but they're fake because I am currently in my office at work.
something holding pencils and pens? yes
pillows? if only!
candy? Yes, a KitKat, with my name on it!!! (Now there's an idea! Rename myself from Zola to KitKat, or Magnum, lol

Just for Fun:
helicopter?
submarine?
dirigible?
unicycle?
other? One of those transporter beam thingies you see on Star Trek! I know it's a long way away from being invented. But how cool would that be!!?? An extra hour in bed; no commuting rush-hour madness, less pollution, no fumbling about with front door keys; no messing about at airports or seaports.

Nice questions, PatsCats!

Old 08-10-2016, 12:27 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Mornin' all!

Onward...

Today's Question(s):

Bonus Question(s):
a train?
a birdhouse?
a mirror?
a feather?
a plant?
pillows?
candy?

Just for Fun:
helicopter?
submarine?
dirigible?
unicycle?
other?
Definitely an automobile...
Today in History:
Birthday: 1955 Joe Jackson, U.S. singer, pianist
Entertainment: 1985 Michael Jackson buys ATV Music (every Beatles song) for $47 million
Science/Technology: 1990 U.S.'s Magellan spacecraft lands on Venus
Sports: 2014 Rory McIlroy wins the PGA Championship, marking his fourth major championship; McIlroy is now one of only four players in golf history to reach this achievement by age 25

Today’s Word:
depthless
Pronunciation: (DEPTH-les)
Meaning: adjective:
1. Immeasurably deep.
2. Shallow; superficial.
Etymology: From Old English deop (deep) + laes (less).
Earliest documented use: 1619.

Today is:
Lazy Day
Paul Bunyan Day
Smithsonian Day
S'mores Day

Quote of the Day:
"The world is like that -- incomprehensible and full of surprises." ~ Jorge Amado ~ (Brazilian writer, also born today, 1912, d. Aug 8, 2001)

Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 08-10-2016 at 01:15 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 12:37 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Morning...

Today's Question(s):
Where is your adult 'hiding place?" It can be a real, or imaginary place (childhood playground, the piano, the island of Nilondin [I made that up just now] , etc.). Where do you go when you want to get away from the rat race? We have several wineries around here that have beautiful tables outside that overlook the vineyards. Calming. Or I like to go into the city and explore city life. Or go to the Ocean and close my eyes and listen to the waves crashing.

Bonus Question(s):
a train? I can hear it when it comes through
a birdhouse?
a mirror?
a feather?
a plant?
pillows?
candy?

Just for Fun:
helicopter?
submarine?
dirigible?
unicycle?
other? A chauffeur with a stretch limousine to take me where I need to go.

Today is:
Lazy Day
Paul Bunyan Day
Smithsonian Day
S'mores Day

Quote of the Day:

Enjoy your day!

Old 08-10-2016, 12:50 AM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Today must be my lucky day.

Today's Question(s)
:

Where is your adult 'hiding place?" It can be a real, or imaginary place (childhood playground, the piano, the island of Nilondin [I made that up just now] , etc.). Where do you go when you want to get away from the rat race? My bedroom. It's very cozy.

Bonus Question(s):
a train?
a birdhouse?
a mirror? <--This
a feather?
a plant? <--This
something holding pencils and pens? <--This
pillows? <--This
candy?

Just for Fun:
helicopter?
submarine?
dirigible?
unicycle?
other? A restored 1965 Ford Mustang convertible.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Old 08-10-2016, 01:00 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
I have one place I go to when I want to get away from the rat race. It is to a small building, on top of a hill in my home town Oldham. I have spoken of this place before, but waaaaal, there are new people here.....

The area around the building is called Hartshead Pike, but the small tower building has come to be known by this name. For many years, I could see this tower wherever I lived in my home town. I could even see it from my school.

I used to walk up there as a kid, sometimes with my dad, or with friends. I took my children up there when they were small. Last time I went, was a couple of years ago. My wife was in Portugal with her mother, and on a whim, I caught three buses to my home town, and once again walked up that hill to the tower.

The memories flooded back as I stood next to the building, looking down the hill beyond the golf course. I could see the house I lived in as a boy. The same house my sister was born in. I could sort of feel my dad's presence, and remembered him pointing in all the different directions....... "over that way David is Cheshire, and way up there is Yorkshire." He had also visited the tower with his father as a boy.

It has a hold on me somehow, because I have so many memories involving Hartshead Pike. It is almost always windy up there, and behind, there are farms with animals in the fields. It is a very peaceful, and relaxing place to visit. I wouldn't be surprised if I go there again, before I become unable to climb up the hill.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h03_uU4uN4M

Old 08-10-2016, 02:30 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Today's Question(s):
Where is your adult 'hiding place?" It can be a real, or imaginary place (childhood playground, the piano, the island of Nilondin [I made that up just now], etc.). Where do you go when you want to get away from the rat race?
The internet. "Go" anywhere. Read about just about any subject. Watch TV shows or videos.

Bonus Question(s):
a train? *toot-toot*
a birdhouse? neighbors have some
a mirror? just checking, is there someting in my teef?
a feather? in my cap
a plant? whoops there goes another
pillows? making me sleepy thinking about it
candy? is dandy

Just for Fun:
helicopter? Gonna need a lot of flying lessons.
submarine? Gonna need a lot of water.
dirigible? Gonna need a lot of helium.
unicycle? Gonna need a lot of balance.
other? Stagecoach and a team of horses.

Today’s Word:
depthless
1. Immeasurably deep.
2. Shallow; superficial.
Means opposites. That's deep.

Have a non-shallow Wednesday.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:54 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
I hope you're well-rested, and ready to hit the morning Questions. - Ha! That's a big no. But my 6 hours sleep last night was way better than the 4.5 I got the night before. The overtime I worked yesterday turned into a brutal 11 hour shift. Then it was almost 1.5 hour commute home. Hopefully it will be a little better today.

But I am ready for the Questions.

Onward...

Okay.

Today's Question(s):
- Walking. I managed a brisk 20 minute walk on a break yesterday. Been doing that a lot lately now that the weather has been more reasonable.
Can't do 100+ degree (about 38 Celsius) heat index days. We have some of those days predicted ahead, starting today I think.

There is a lake with a nice walking trail very close to where I live.

Bonus Question(s):
a train?
a birdhouse?
a mirror?
a feather?
a plant?
pillows?
- This only.
candy?

Just for Fun:
helicopter?
submarine?
dirigible?
unicycle?
other?
- Not transportation but I would love to have a treadmill. No room in my apartment if I did want to buy one.

For exotic transportation I'll take a modest Nissan Z.

Thanks, PatsCats
Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

Last edited by John13; 08-10-2016 at 03:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics