Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:37 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones? Tootling along on a road trip and just being astounded by the beautiful sky and amazing landscape and loving America.

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? Yeppers If so, what did you get? I go to a lot of small festivals and craft fairs and such. So . . . food, of course. A braided rug. A few little paintings. A hand carved spoon. Beaded earrings. A wooden chair. My wooden pig. And etc.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people? Yes. Have managed a few festivals, but my policy is that I won't have anything to do with food. I'm so sorry, fellow women, but I refuse to be in a kitchen with a bunch of women cooking and putting together a food event. Bad experiences!
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees? Yes. I actually love meetings.
acted as a volunteer for an event or service? Yes, lots over the years. I'm trying to find the right volunteer task for me now - have tried a variety of things but none seem right. I'll keep looking!
designed a large visual advertisement? Yes. I've made a jillion brochures and posters and flyers over the years, and collaborated with graphic artists for newspaper and magazine ads.

Thanks, Pat! If you have a chance you should visit Pella, Iowa too - the other "Dutch" destination in America. Visit Pella
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 01:08 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Grab your favorite go-juice and sit for a moment with today's Qs.
Morning! I have my favorite cup of joe to start my day!

Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones? Taking a day trip, getting away from my normal everyday routine.

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get?Often--when I went to Prague I bought a beautiful handmade garnet bracelet from a local jeweler.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people? Helped make dinner for the Ronald McDonald House
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees?
acted as a volunteer for an event or service?
designed a large visual advertisement?

Today is:
Black Cat Appreciation Day
I Love My Feet Day Can I get a foot massage when I get home?
Meaning of "Is" Day
National Thrift Shop Day
National Vanilla Custard Day (U.S.)
Third Wednesday:
National Medical Dosimetrist Day

Wishing you a wacky Wednesday!

Old 08-17-2016, 03:48 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
good book, good movie

leaf woven hat

yes
nope
yes
kind of

Old 08-17-2016, 04:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones? My view. Every morning when I open the door and walk outside I look around and know how lucky I am.

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get? Oh fun I would like to go to Holland Michigan My mother bought us clogs when we went to Holland when I was very young I have gotten sandals from Greece, jewelry in Jamaica, perfume in Key West and probably a few more things. I am not a shopper

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people? No but I'm sure I would love it
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees? there would be too much politics and it would drive me crazy.
acted as a volunteer for an event or service? I'm working at my library's carnival in two weeks to support the Imagination Library program for the children in my area. They will most likely put me in the hair painting/spraying booth since I am one of the younger volunteers. I also volunteer for the Summer Reading program every summer for the kids here
designed a large visual advertisement? No…but I do post lots of ads with pictures for us and for friends. I have sold so many things over the years including houses for us, vehicles, and an rv and truck for friends. I sold our last house on Craigslist Who knew, lol.

Have a great day!!

Old 08-17-2016, 05:13 AM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones? SNOW and with it Cross-country skiing

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get? While visiting India I bought silk suits,hand stitched pajamas for the men and in Africa I got a small drum

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people? We had a mini Oktoberfest at our old property and at that time I cooked for all and one time a reunion was planned in a local park but food was brought in from everyone
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees? Nope
acted as a volunteer for an event or service? Yes in the Sikh Gurdwara
designed a large visual advertisement? Nope

Today in History:
Birthday: 1930 Ted Hughes, Poet (children's poetry) (d. Oct 28, 1998)
Arts/Entertainment: 1876 Opera "Gotterdammerung" premieres in Bayreuth
Science/Nature: 2012 Trogloraptor marchingtoni, an unusual spider discovered in 2010 is determined to be a new family of spiders previously unknown in the world of science; the new spider family has been named Trogloraptor, meaning 'cave robber.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trogloraptor (If you dare! )
Sports: 2008 Michael Phelps wins 8 Gold Medals in 2008 Olympics
Technology: 1891 Electric self-starter for automobile patented

Today’s Word:
kool-aid
Pronunciation: (KOOL-ayd)
Meaning: noun: Something accepted without question. Usually used in the phrase “to drink the kool-aid”: to accept something unquestioningly or to demonstrate unquestioning loyalty.
Etymology: From Kool-Aid, a powdered flavored drink introduced in 1927. It was earlier known as Kool-Ade, from respelling of cool + -ade (a fruit drink, as in lemonade).
Earliest documented use: 1927.
Notes: Jim Jones was the leader of a cult named Peoples Temple in Jonestown, Guyana. In 1978, he had more than 900 of his followers killed in a murder-suicide by drinking Kool-Aid laced with cyanide. This event gave birth to the figure of speech “to drink the kool-aid”.

Today is:
I Love My Feet Day
Meaning of "Is" Day
National Thrift Shop Day
Third Wednesday:

Quote of the Day:
"The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all." ~ Ted Hughes ~

Have a good day everyone!

Thank you PatsCats

Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones

I have several:

Playing golf at sunset on a summer evening
Fishing on a quiet lake at sunset on a summer evening.
Watching my teams play in big games

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get?

My aunt lives in Holland, MI. Beautiful town as long as it's summer. Last handmade item I bought was a basket made from a local grass in Charleston, SC

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people?

No, not a chance

No, not a chance.

No but I will when I have time in retirement

Not in my job description. It would look like a stickman

Old 08-17-2016, 05:37 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones?
Nothing really, I don't have much joy in my life but my pets make me smile

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get?
Yes when I visited Charleston several years ago, they have an outdoor market full of the locals handmade goods. I bought a very expensive handmade basket that a Geechee woman made, best quality I've ever seen

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
yes, once. That was enough for me it stressed me out beyond words
no
no
yes when I had my business

Today in History:
Science/Nature: 2012 Trogloraptor marchingtoni, an unusual spider discovered in 2010 is determined to be a new family of spiders previously unknown in the world of science; the new spider family has been named Trogloraptor, meaning 'cave robber.'

Today’s Word:
kool-aid
Meaning: noun: Something accepted without question. Usually used in the phrase “to drink the kool-aid”: to accept something unquestioningly or to demonstrate unquestioning loyalty.
Etymology: From Kool-Aid, a powdered flavored drink introduced in 1927. It was earlier known as Kool-Ade, from respelling of cool + -ade (a fruit drink, as in lemonade).
Notes: Jim Jones was the leader of a cult named Peoples Temple in Jonestown, Guyana. In 1978, he had more than 900 of his followers killed in a murder-suicide by drinking Kool-Aid laced with cyanide. This event gave birth to the figure of speech “to drink the kool-aid”.

Today is:
I Love My Feet Day
Meaning of "Is" Day
National Thrift Shop Day
Third Wednesday:

Quote of the Day:
"The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all." ~ Ted Hughes ~

Thanks Pat!

Old 08-17-2016, 06:03 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones?Being outside and enjoying nature and fresh air.

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get?I didn't get this item myself, but my mother went to Pennsylvania and brought me back a handmade amish doll. It was so beautiful.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people?Do Walking Dead viewing parties count? About 10 people. I would make dinner and people would bring drinks and desserts. One year we did a brain jello mold.
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees?Never
acted as a volunteer for an event or service?I have volunteered for the Special Olympics, past out posters for our local downtown revitalization committee, helped out at a New Year's Eve party for some elderly folk, volunteered at a haunted house for the muscular dystrophy association
designed a large visual advertisement?Never

Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 AM

7,367 posts, read 5,481,324 times
Mornin' all! [/b]

Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones?. Good food

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get?. Jewelry

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:

Old 08-17-2016, 07:03 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,686 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones?..............Exploring unknown territory on our motorcycle.

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get?..............I've often purchased country type decor items at festivals.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people?.........
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees?.............
acted as a volunteer for an event or service?............
designed a large visual advertisement?...........

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
kool-aid

Today is:
Black Cat Appreciation Day................ My last all black cat was named Ziva.
I Love My Feet Day.......... In my book that means have a pedicure!
Meaning of "Is" Day......
National Thrift Shop Day..........Not my thing.
National Vanilla Custard Day (U.S.).............
Third Wednesday: ..........
National Medical Dosimetrist Day...........

Quote of the Day:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics