Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

[quote=PatsCats;45323078]
Today's Question(s):
Briefly (about 25 words), would you describe a perfect day for us? What is the weather like, who are you with, what are you doing… (that was 25 words, by the way )

One picture worth a thousand words, see below. (Whew! Made it!)

Bonus Question(s):
You're in your dream house. What are the three best things about it?
1.) view of the sea
2.) garden
3.) warm

Just for Fun:
Think about your hobbies and interests, or your occupation, or what you would like to have as an occupation, or your retirement. I've just given you a backpack full of "stuff" to have fun with. What's the "stuff?"

Doing research projects, preferably shared with other people - so, books and internet connection, and the people, of course.

Today’s Word:
coattail
Pronunciation: (KOHT-tayl)
Meaning: noun:
1. The long back part of a tailcoat that hangs down.
2. The success of another person or organization. Usually used in the idiom “to ride on someone’s coattails” meaning to
achieve success by association with someone successful.
Etymology: Often a popular leader of a political party helps attract votes for candidates of the same party for other positions as well. For example, a popular presidential candidate results in more victories for congressional races of the same party. In other words, these other candidates ride on the coattails of the president. This is known as the coattail
effect. From Old French cote (coat) + Old English toegl (tail).
Earliest documented use: 1600.

I remember the expression "to tread on someones coattails."
Attached Thumbnails
Wednesday's Questions, August 31, 2016-006.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 04:51 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,724 times
Today's Question(s):
Briefly (about 25 words), would you describe a perfect day for us? What is the weather like, who are you with, what are you doing…
(that was 25 words, by the way ) Temps in the 70s to low 80s, clear skies.... at the lake. Much of the day I'd be in my kayak, either paddling or reading. Towards later afternoon my daughters and their families come to swim and have dinner. Campfire at night.

Or..... at the ocean, again alone for a bit to walk the beach. Later the kids would come to jump the waves, body surf. We'd have dinner and a fire on the beach and then after the kids were in bed, I'd be walking the beach again, looking at the full moon shine on the water.

Bonus Question(s):
1.) Small secluded house on a quiet lake
2.) Large fireplace inside, fire pit outside
3.) Beautiful gardens, veggie and flower

Just for Fun:
Think about your hobbies and interests, or your occupation, or what you would like to have as an occupation, or your retirement. I've just given you a backpack full of "stuff" to have fun with. What's the "stuff?" Music, books.... walking stick for hiking..... still thinking, but need to get ready for school. After five days of meetings, the kids are finally coming!

Today’s Word:
coattail
2. The success of another person or organization. Usually used in the idiom “to ride on someone’s coattails” meaning to
Etymology: Often a popular leader of a political party helps attract votes for candidates of the same party for other positions as well. For example, a popular presidential candidate results in more victories for congressional races of the same party. In other words, these other candidates ride on the coattails of the president. This is known as the coattail

Quote of the Day:
"I've had a few arguments with people, but I never carry a grudge. You know why? While you're carrying a grudge, they're out dancing." ~ Buddy Hackett ~

Have a good day everyone!

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2016, 05:04 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Briefly (about 25 words), would you describe a perfect day for us? What is the weather like, who are you with, what are you doing…

Yesterday was pretty close. 85 and sun, beach, bike ride, nap, dinner by the water with my bride of 25 years

Bonus Question(s):
1.) On a lake, a private lake with just our house
2.) Huge stone fireplace with high ceilings
3.) In a bug vortex where all the bugs go somewhere else.

Just for Fun:
Think about your hobbies and interests, or your occupation, or what you would like to have as an occupation, or your retirement. I've just given you a backpack full of "stuff" to have fun with. What's the "stuff?"

Fishing rod, golf clubs, peddal assisted electric bike (my new thing to buy some day), recliner, TV that gets all the out of town games of every sport.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:29 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
(that was 25 words, by the way )

The sun peeks through my window bringing in the warmth. I slowly sit up, stretch and let out a yawn. As my eyes adjust, I can see that my husband has brought me a tray with fresh fruit, a green smoothie and a vase with calla lillies. "Rise and Shine!" he sings as he throws my wet suit on the chair next to the bed. "It's the perfect day for surfing". I look out the window as he pulls back the curtains and I can see the beautiful waves.

After I manage to get on my bikini and suit, I walk into the kitchen where I notice my husband has packed a basket with all my favorite foods and two Yeti bottles with fresh water. He must have been up early because not only did he make me breakfast and pack lunch, he got the surf boards all set up on the roof rack of my Jeep. This is definitely going to be a great day.

It was a perfect 72 degrees with a perfect breeze blowing when we hit the beach. Not a single soul out today, so it was nice to have the beach all to ourselves. We grabbed our boards and spent hours catching waves. I laid back on my board as dolphins swam circles around us. It was the perfect day!

Bonus Question(s):
1.) I built it.
2.) It has the most perfect garden full of beautiful fruits and vegetables.
3.) My sun room over looks the beach.

Just for Fun:
Think about your hobbies and interests, or your occupation, or what you would like to have as an occupation, or your retirement.In a perfect world, I would have a little yarn shop near the beach that I ran during the week and on the weekends I would teach surfing and yoga and host raw vegan potlucks for my community.

I've just given you a backpack full of "stuff" to have fun with. What's the "stuff?" the first thing I pull out is a beautiful skein of yarn that I hand spun and dyed myself. The next thing I pull out is a loom (picture Mary Poppins carpet bag lol) that I set up and begin weaving a beautiful coat from the yarn I made.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:47 AM

126,269 posts, read 19,041,682 times
Mornin' all!

Grab a cuppa your favorite go-juice, and have some fun with the following...

Today's Question(s):
(that was 25 words, by the way ) Getting up at dawn meeting up with friends and go hiking all day. Enjoying the sunshine and food over a campfire. Being happy

Bonus Question(s):
1.) it is out in the countryside
2.) a large beautiful garden with all sorts of wildflowers and vegetable
3.) a special designed room with a large fireplace where I would sit and read my books or play/listen music
4. A special designed large kitchen for my cooking and baking needs
Just for Fun:
Think about your hobbies and interests, or your occupation, or what you would like to have as an occupation, or your retirement. I've just given you a backpack full of "stuff" to have fun with. What's the "stuff?" Being retired I like to continue volunteering,stay fit and healthy....would love to continue baking cakes,Christmas baked goods and breads,maybe finally make a notebook full of my own poems instead having them on individual papers,go hiking/skiing with family/friends and just enjoy life to the fullest.....hoping to visit India one more time

Today in History:
Birthday: 1924 Buddy Hackett, U.S. comedian (d. 06-30-2003)
Arts/Entertainment: 1987 Michael Jacskon's "Bad" video premieres on CBS TV
Science/Nature: 1979 Comet Howard-Koomur-Michels collides with Sun
Sports: 1997 Don Mattingly's #23 is retired by New York Yankees
Technology: 1842 Micah Rugg patents a nuts and bolts machine

Today’s Word:
coattail

Today is:
Eat Outside Day
International Bacon Day
International Overdose Awareness Day
Love Litigating Lawyers Day
National Matchmaker Day
National Trail Mix Day
Last Wednesday: Tug-of-War Day

Quote of the Day:
"I've had a few arguments with people, but I never carry a grudge. You know why? While you're carrying a grudge, they're out dancing." ~ Buddy Hackett ~

Thank you PatsCats and a good Wednesday to you all

Old 08-31-2016, 06:26 AM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Perfect day? It would be in the 70s, at Point Beach, I'd be with the grandkids, enjoying the weather and the quietness.
My dream house. An old Victorian style home with hardwood floors, blue studying and white window shutters, everything about it vintage, pretty green grass front and back, a couple of big trees, my veggies garden out back, in one of the smaller towns in Oklahoma.
Happy Wednesday!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:28 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Picnic at the nearby lake, 70 degrees with family and friends

Bonus Question(s):
1.) It comes completely furnished in my taste, right down to the silverware and dishes
2.) It's a beach house, right on the water on the coast of NC
3.) It's paid for!

Just for Fun:
No "stuff" - I'm just gonna wing it from here with writing

Today in History:
Birthday: 1924 Buddy Hackett, U.S. comedian (d. 06-30-2003)
Arts/Entertainment: 1987 Michael Jacskon's "Bad" video premieres on CBS TV
Science/Nature: 1979 Comet Howard-Koomur-Michels collides with Sun
Sports: 1997 Don Mattingly's #23 is retired by New York Yankees
Technology: 1842 Micah Rugg patents a nuts and bolts machine

Today’s Word:
coattail

Today is:
Eat Outside Day way too hot and humid
International Bacon Day
International Overdose Awareness Day
Love Litigating Lawyers Day
National Matchmaker Day
National Trail Mix Day
Last Wednesday: Tug-of-War Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanks Pat!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:32 AM

7,365 posts, read 5,480,532 times
Mornin' all! [/b]

Today's Question(s):
(that was 25 words, by the way ) I'm with my family and some close friends, it's summer, we are on a cruise going to a tropical island in the Caribbean to have fun in the sun and swim in the ocean.

Bonus Question(s):
1.) huge kitchen
2.) huge family room with huge TV
3.) master bedroom with big bathroom and walk in closet

Just for Fun:
I'd love to retire and travel the world.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 AM

401 posts, read 479,665 times
Today's Question(s):

Weather - sunny but not hot. I'd visit some place I'd never been to before having interesting history, culture or scenic beauty (like Alaska or Norway). (Hey! I got it down to 25 words (this doesn't count) after some judicious editing.)

Bonus Question(s):
1.) The views of the outdoors.
2.) The beauty of the structure.
3.) The reasonable mortgage (very important this considering how bad it is where I live).

Just for Fun:
Think about your hobbies and interests, or your occupation, or what you would like to have as an occupation, or your retirement. I've just given you a backpack full of "stuff" to have fun with. What's the "stuff?" Lots of gift certificates for Globus and Royal Caribbean, the 2 companies I travel with. Also, air plane tickets to where I can start their tours and cruises. Money so, I can pay for the optional excursions and the magnets for my fridge so, I can show I've been to the places the stuff helped me get to. Travel info on the cool places I'm going to get to go to (so I can start getting excited about my future trips).

Old 08-31-2016, 07:41 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Today's Question(s):http://oi41.tinypic.com/35ls2mp.jpg
Briefly (about 25 words), would you describe a perfect day for us? What is the weather like, who are you with, what are you doing… (that was 25 words, by the way http://s5.tinypic.com/a3fpdt_th.jpg)
As long as my family is with me, it will be a perfect day.

Bonus Question(s): http://s6.tinypic.com/11ud9y0_th.jpg
1.) It's in the outside edge of "flyover" country where the humidity never goes over over 20%.
2.) It has thousands of empty acres surrounding the property.
3.) And, if in Texas, it has a 10,000 square foot barn stuffed with restored 1950s cars to sell each year to pay the property taxes.

Just for Fun: http://s6.tinypic.com/2mzwsis_th.jpg
Like Santa Clause, eh? Let's make it a 1960s Gibson J-200 guitar.

Good job Pat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics