Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 03:59 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times

Advertisements

hearing
quiet

cali, paris, sydney
beach, meal, fishing

yes

sandwiches
flowers

pistachio nuts
chocolate
pork rinds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 04:19 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
[quote=bjh;45487419]Hidy ho, naybors! Here are . . .
Today's Sensible Questions:
Which of your senses - sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch - do you wish you had to the level of an animal's and which animal(s)?

I think I am a fraidy-cat on this one. Some animals see colors that I cannot, do I want to look at paintings or the meadows and see them in lurid neon shades or perhaps only black and white as some animals do? Some animals have incredible hearing ranges, but what would that do to my enjoyment of Bach or be-bop? I suspect that I would experience these other-species abilities while in the form of a human being as maddening.

Which sense would you be willing to give up for a day or so to see what it's like to live without? None, I became close to totally deaf as a pre-school child. I did not really grasp what was happening, except by the consequences that it produced. To have people give you a slap, entirely unprovoked as far as I knew, was quite intimidating and mystifying; to have people with wildly twisted faces talking to you in distant, faint voices was quite peculiar, and - again - intimidating because of the bizarre face-making. (Perhaps this is why I was terrified of clowns later on.) This was a first tentative step in learning that most grownups were just plain nuts. (A fact confirmed in my post-surgery hearing experience by the fact that though we were a family of four only three people ever spoke together. It took quite awhile to realize that it was either my mother, my aunt and I or my father, my mother and I. It took me forever to see a pattern to this three in four business. And after long observation, I sprung the question one night as we four had dinner. The reaction beggars description - I still remember their shocked faces, but it closed the case on grownup rationality.)

To have the world become increasingly quiet I can't recall as disturbing, and I spent hours alone looking at magazines and comic books. I was not old enough to be expected to read, but my aunt who lived with us, has told me that I declared one day that magazines "talked," and as the first example of this I pointed to the word b-a-b-y and the picture of a baby and explained that it said, "baby." I suspect that it was guesswork, seeing the similar pictures in an article and one set of letters repeated frequently probably just led to leap of accidentally correct association. All of this, I suppose, was rather annoying and weird, but my aunt worked and my father worked literally sun up to sun down seven days a week. This left my mother, the housewife doing everything by hand in 1940's, to mind her child and observe it alone. She was always preparing food, cooking it or washing or ironing or canning, etc. So, I really do not fault her for missing a lot of what was going on. But one day (I was told) she came out of the kitchen and told me to do something as I played on the floor of the living room. I ignored her order. She became exasperated and stepped into the room and raised her voice: nothing. At this point there was for her a thunder clap and the clouds rolled back. She walked up behind me and repeated her request in a normal voice, and I had no reaction...I clearly hadn't heard her walk or talk. She went wild with concern and remorse, and that evening with my aunt and then my father they tried various strategems, and the bottom line was quite clear, I was evidently hearing almost nothing that wasn't face to face....matters were made worse by the fact that my sister had pre-deceased my birth. Practically deaf, but what else perhaps!?

The operation to recover full hearing was relatively simple, though I was taken to a big city hospital for it, and the improvement was 100% and instant...and I was very uncomfortable with it for several weeks at least. I was quite young and had become used to a quiet, inward world....only occasionally interrupted by irrational adults, and normal volume sound was intrusive for awhile. I can remember going out in our backyard sometimes in the next few weeks just because the sound of talking wore me out.

What do you imagine that would be like? It doesn't go with the usual, normal human territory...and despite the terribly un-PC nature of "disabled," you are indeed exactly that to some degree. You are de-normalized, and the world of human society is geared to a whole bunch of performance norms as defaults.

Bonus:
Choose one of each - 3 trips, all expenses paid to:
-California or Florida? California
-London or Paris? Toughie...Paris.
-Sydney or Tokyo? Easy...Tokyo
Tell us a souvenir or experience you'd like to have from at least one of those places: As soon as I got to Tokyo, I'd hop a train to Kyoto, which is really where I'd want to go.

Extra:
Do you remember the machines for testing bad TV tubes?
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_t...e_tube_testers
-If so, did you ever use one?

TV? I remember my father taking the radio tubes down to a store on Main Street for testing in one of those devices.

Foodie Questions:
Even if I lost my sense of taste/smell, I'd probably still eat __all the same stuff as I know what it is supposed to taste and smell like...and maybe my imagination would con me into believing I was still tasting and smelling._____________
-But I would especially miss __the fact that the same dishes can have a whole range of tastes depending on who cooks them, etc._______________

What foods do you like for their:
-Saltiness? codfish dishes
-Sweetness? raspberries
-Vinegariness/acidity? green salads
-Other?

What foods do you like for texture and what is it about the texture you like? While I don't much like the taste, I like the chewy, woody texture of celery.

Are there foods you don't like because of the texture? If so, how so? A good number of seafoods....squid, for example.

Today in History:
1616 1st non-aristocratic, free public school in Europe opened in Frascati, Italy.

This is not a fact I would have rejoiced in on my first day of kindergarten. The struggle between my mother and I as she walked me across town to my first day at public school was epic.

Today's Quote:
"Not the senses I have but what I do with them is my kingdom."
~Helen Keller, blind and deaf author and speaker

Her autobiography was part of my classroom reading I remember. Her teacher, Anne Sullivan, was an equally impressive person.

Today's Stately Picture:
Massachusetts. Sunset at Martha's Vineyard.

It's like a painting.

Made freely available on flickr by Massachusetts Travel & Tourism

Last edited by kevxu; 09-15-2016 at 05:21 AM..

Old 09-15-2016, 04:22 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Which of your senses - sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch - do you wish you had to the level of an animal's and which animal(s)? Eagle Eyes would be my wish

Which sense would you be willing to give up for a day or so to see what it's like to live without? Smell
What do you imagine that would be like? It would be pretty bland

Bonus:
-California or Florida? CA - been to FL plenty of times
-London or Paris? Paris
-Sydney or Tokyo? Tokyo
Tell us a souvenir or experience you'd like to have from at least one of those places: Key chains, because I collect them (I've lost count - must have close to a thousand)

Extra:
Do you remember the machines for testing bad TV tubes? Yes. My Dad was an electrical engineer, and at home he had and used all sorts of testing equipment.
-If so, did you ever use one? Nope. I just watched.

Foodie Questions:
Even if I lost my sense of taste/smell, I'd probably still eat __Chocolate____
-But I would especially miss ___Chocolate_____

-Saltiness? Crackers
-Sweetness? Chocolate. Who, me? A Chocoholic?
-Vinegariness/acidity? Spaghetti sauce
-Other? Steak, just because there's nothing like a good Sirloin or Rib Eye.

What foods do you like for texture and what is it about the texture you like?

Are there foods you don't like because of the texture? If so, how so? Liver. Too mushy.

Have a great day all, and thanks for the questions. Fun.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:53 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Which of your senses - sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch - do you wish you had to the level of an animal's and which animal(s)?

Sight. Eagle or Hawk. Raptors have the best eyesight. Owls have the best night vision but I'm not a night person.

Which sense would you be willing to give up for a day or so to see what it's like to live without? Smell

What do you imagine that would be like?

Don't know but I'd miss it the least and it would be the one I could lose that would get me in the least physical danger.

Bonus:

I don't fly so when I pick one, I'm considering the car or boat trip or both to get there.

-California or Florida? Been to both. Florida has a wildlife refuge I really want to go to on Sanibel Island in February (not too hot) and the trip isn't that far but I could do it and afford it myself. I'll pick California if someone else drives for the whole trip including while I'm there and I can go in the best fall foliage period.

-London or Paris? London if I could have a driver and car when I got there. Would rather go to Ireland and rent my own car to drive around myself.

-Sydney or Tokyo? Eh, neither. Trips are too long.

Tell us a souvenir or experience you'd like to have from at least one of those places:

They would be total outdoor photography trips so good photos are all I want to bring home.

Extra:
No

Foodie Questions:
Even if I lost my sense of taste/smell, I'd probably still eat
Anything, if you can't smell or taste it.
-But I would especially miss ice cream.

-Saltiness?
pretzels or bagels
-Sweetness? ice cream, soda
-Vinegariness/acidity? salad
-Other?

I'd be more inclined to rule out food for it's texture like clams or barely cooked meat or tomatoes or lima beans.

Are there foods you don't like because of the texture? If so, how so?

Oops, should have read ahead. See above.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:10 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Hidy ho, naybors! Here are . . .

Since it is slowly getting worse, eyesight. I don't know what animals have keen sight so I'll just say a rabbit since they eat lots of carrots.

Which sense would you be willing to give up for a day or so to see what it's like to live without?
maybe taste
What do you imagine that would be like?
Not much fun I suppose but maybe without it I could lose some weight because the food wouldn't taste so good

Bonus:
-California or Florida? Florida since I have friends there
-London or Paris? Paris
-Sydney or Tokyo? Sydney
Tell us a souvenir or experience you'd like to have from at least one of those places:
I want another peacock mug from Busch Gardens in Florida to replace the one that got broken in the mail and I would like to go to the beach everyday in Tampa - gulf coast

Extra:
Do you remember the machines for testing bad TV tubes? sort of
-If so, did you ever use one? nope

Foodie Questions:
Even if I lost my sense of taste/smell, I'd probably still eat _ice cream______________
-But I would especially miss __Manicotti_______________

-Saltiness?chips
-Sweetness? cheesecake
-Vinegariness/acidity? don't like vinegar
-Other?

not sure what this means but I'll say steak, it's soooo good

Are there foods you don't like because of the texture? If so, how so?
liver maybe, but I guess that's more about taste than texture

Today in History:
1616 1st non-aristocratic, free public school in Europe opened in Frascati, Italy
1789 American writer James Fenimore Cooper ("The Last of the Mohicans," "The Deerslayer" etc.) born in Burlington, NJ
1831 Locomotive "John Bull" operated for the first time in New Jersey on the Camden and Amboy Railroad
1835 HMS "Beagle"reached the Galápagos Islands with Charles Darwin aboard
1851 American writer James Fenimore Cooper died in Cooperstown, NY on his 62nd birthday
1915 Empire Picture Theatre, oldest running cinema in Mainland Australia, opened in New South Wales
1947 RCA released the 12AX7 vacuum tube >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12AX7
1981 The "John Bull" became the oldest operable steam locomotive in the world when the
- Smithsonian Institution operated it near Washington, DC when it was 150 years old to the day

Today's Quote:

Today’s Funny Definition:
alcohol [AL-kuh-hawl] noun
the day or nighttime slurring, spilling, fighting, yelling, stupid ideas so you can go to jail "medicine"

Today Includes:
8-Track Tape Day
Cheese Toast Day
Felt Hat Day
Linguine Day

This Week Includes:
Guitar Flat-Picking Days
Hummingbird Celebration
Line Dance Week
Truck Driver Appreciation Week

Today's Stately Picture:

Have a happy Thursday!

Thanks bjh, beautiful picture!

Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times

Which of your senses - sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch - do you wish you had to the level of an animal's and which animal(s)? Sight of a cheetah ( the rest works extremely well for me )

Which sense would you be willing to give up for a day or so to see what it's like to live without?
What do you imagine that would be like?smell and it would be awful for me when it comes to my cooking and baking but in some other ways a relief

Bonus:
-California or Florida?
-London or Paris? Paris
-Sydney or Tokyo? Sydney
Tell us a souvenir or experience you'd like to have from at least one of those places: Just photos

Extra:
-If so, did you ever use one? never

Foodie Questions:
Even if I lost my sense of taste/smell, I'd probably still eat my fruit and vegetable
-But I would especially miss the aroma of the spices

-Saltiness? Cheeses
-Sweetness? Christmas baking goods
-Vinegariness/acidity? salads
-Other? Lime/lemon pickle

What foods do you like for texture and what is it about the texture you like? chickpeas for their nutty grainy texture

Are there foods you don't like because of the texture? If so, how so? I never liked the taste of liver and steak as well certain seafood something about the texture,for me too chewy and very hard to swallow

Today in History:
1616 1st non-aristocratic, free public school in Europe opened in Frascati, Italy
1789 American writer James Fenimore Cooper ("The Last of the Mohicans," "The Deerslayer" etc.) born in Burlington, NJ
1831 Locomotive "John Bull" operated for the first time in New Jersey on the Camden and Amboy Railroad
1835 HMS "Beagle"reached the Galápagos Islands with Charles Darwin aboard
1851 American writer James Fenimore Cooper died in Cooperstown, NY on his 62nd birthday
1915 Empire Picture Theatre, oldest running cinema in Mainland Australia, opened in New South Wales
1947 RCA released the 12AX7 vacuum tube >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12AX7
1981 The "John Bull" became the oldest operable steam locomotive in the world when the
- Smithsonian Institution operated it near Washington, DC when it was 150 years old to the day

Today's Quote:

Today’s Funny Definition:
alcohol [AL-kuh-hawl] noun
the day or nighttime slurring, spilling, fighting, yelling, stupid ideas so you can go to jail "medicine"

Today Includes:
8-Track Tape Day
Cheese Toast Day
Felt Hat Day
Linguine Day

This Week Includes:
Guitar Flat-Picking Days
Hummingbird Celebration
Line Dance Week
Truck Driver Appreciation Week

Today's Stately Picture: very nice picture bjh

Have a happy Thursday!

Thank you bjh

Old 09-15-2016, 06:04 AM

7,363 posts, read 5,478,151 times

Which of your senses - sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch - do you wish you had to the level of an animal's and which animal(s)? Eyes of an eagle

What do you imagine that would be like? I can't imagine what that would be like

Bonus:
-California or Florida? California. Only because I have a lot of relatives there. I would go visit them all.
-London or Paris? London. See the castles, London and other landmarks.
-Sydney or Tokyo? Sydney. See all the landmarks there and the kangaroos
Tell us a souvenir or experience you'd like to have from at least one of those places: lots of pictures.

Extra:
Do you remember the machines for testing bad TV tubes? No
-If so, did you ever use one?

Foodie Questions:
Even if I lost my sense of taste/smell, I'd probably still eat __pizza
-But I would especially miss __bacon cheeseburgers

-Saltiness? Potato chips
-Sweetness? Chocolate
-Vinegariness/acidity? Cole slaw
-Other?
[b]
What foods do you like for texture and what is it about the texture you like? Pizza, the melted cheese.

Are there foods you don't like because of the texture? If so, how so? I don't like well cooked meats, too dry and rubbery

Old 09-15-2016, 06:09 AM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Senses...i wish I had more common sense, lol. Seriously though, I wouldn't mind having the eyesight of a hawk.
Yes I remember those tube testing machines, when my dad ran his own tv repair shop back in the day, he was always going to them to test tubes of customers tvs.
Have a great day!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:13 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
I wish I wasn't color blind, that is all.

Bonus section:
California
London
Sydney

I'd love to see what the live music scene is like in London.

Vaguely remember the TV tube tester.

Salt: Salt and vinegar chips as a once in a while treat.
Sweet: Red Velvet cake
Vinegar: In my daily salad w/olive oil.

Thanks, bjh.
Hope everyone has a good Thursday!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:20 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Which of your senses - sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch - do you wish you had to the level of an animal's and which animal(s)? Sight~~Owl

What do you imagine that would be like? Smell, in my current job, it might be nice.

Bonus:
-California or Florida?
-London or Paris?
-Sydney or Tokyo?

Extra:
Do you remember the machines for testing bad TV tubes? I think so
-If so, did you ever use one? I think my Dad did.

Foodie Questions:
Even if I lost my sense of taste/smell, I'd probably still eat ___like normal____________
-But I would especially miss ___the smell of good food.______________

-Saltiness? Chips
-Sweetness? Chocolate
-Vinegariness/acidity?
-Other?

What foods do you like for texture and what is it about the texture you like? Smooth, silky, truffles.

Are there foods you don't like because of the texture? If so, how so? Okra, slimey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics