Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:55 AM
bjh

59,952 posts, read 30,275,344 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
Like many people, I used to be very afraid of spiders. After many years of being snuck up on in the workplace, and my own home, by 1-inch Wolf spiders, I finally came to terms with spiders, and was even able to hold a couple of docile tarantulas.
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears!
Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have?
I went along with the anti-spider hysteria when younger because that was what
I saw. Can't say I really feared them, but learned to see them all as "bad."

How did you overcome that specific fear?

I grew up and realized spiders and other animals serve an ecological purpose and it's childlike to vilify them.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster? Get out!
Do you have a fire extinguisher?
A weather alert radio? A radio that gets weather reports like any other.
Extra water and/or food stored away? If you had to leave the house, how would you get to that?
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days? Could buy something if you had to.

Just for Fun:
Where I live, while I love the autumn, we are entering the season of what is, in my opinion, the worst weather condition, cold rain!
What weather condition do you think is the worst? Broiling
hot weather when it's like an oven outside.

All aboard for a great Wednesday

Thx, pat, say hello to your cats. Our cats have a message for them. *meow* I don't know what that means. I'm sure they'll understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 10:14 AM

24,375 posts, read 25,884,527 times
Today's Question(s):
Like many people, I used to be very afraid of spiders. After many years of being snuck up on in the workplace, and my own home, by 1-inch Wolf spiders, I finally came to terms with spiders, and was even able to hold a couple of docile tarantulas.
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have?
Being shot by a jealous husband.

I got older and wiser.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster?
No

2 or 3

A weather alert radio?
No

Extra water and/or food stored away?
Yep

Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days?
No

Just for Fun:
Where I live, while I love the autumn, we are entering the season of what is, in my opinion, the worst weather condition, cold rain! Honestly! It's the worst! What weather condition do you think is the worst?
For us it's high temps and hot winds that sparks fires

Thanx PatsCats

Old 09-28-2016, 10:14 AM

15,445 posts, read 21,289,268 times
Today's Question(s): http://s6.tinypic.com/w18dvd_th.jpg
Like many people, I used to be very afraid of spiders. After many years of being snuck up on in the workplace, and my own home, by 1-inch Wolf spiders, I finally came to terms with spiders, and was even able to hold a couple of docile tarantulas. Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have? How did you overcome that specific fear? I don't recall ever having any extraordinary fears. I've never liked snakes but it's not an irrational fear.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster? Not really. We could regroup at the farm if the emergency happened in the city or in the city if the emergency was at the farm. God help everyone if the emergency affected both places since the two places are almost 400 miles apart.
Do you have a fire extinguisher? Yes. Several. We keep one in each vehicle, one in each house and one at the barn. From personal experience, fires can be very expensive as well as very painful. Fire extinguishers are the least expensive insurance you can buy.
A weather alert radio? Only the warnings and alerts I get from the Weather Channel on my smart phone.
Extra water and/or food stored away? No food but there are always several cases of drinking water stored at both houses.
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days? Not much need since we have two well-stocked houses.

In the case of an extreme natural disaster, at both homes we also have weapons for self-defense and a knowledge of how to use them.

Additionally, at the farm, we maintain a generator to run the well pump should electrical grid power be lost. We also have a 4x4 and tractors at the farm if light off-road travel become necessary. Although I do keep extra gasoline on hand at the farm, it is difficult since the new gasoline goes bad so quickly. In general, we just practice average rural farm life for a largely un-serviced western Texas.

Just for Fun: http://s5.tinypic.com/xn6mfb_th.jpg
Where I live, while I love the autumn, we are entering the season of what is, in my opinion, the worst weather condition, cold rain! Honestly! It's the worst! What weather condition do you think is the worst? I too dislike gloomy, overcast and rainy weather. Add to that cold temperatures and you have the worse weather I want to experience.

Thanks PC.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:55 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
[quote=PatsCats;45635606]Mornin' all! (<That's me! LOL) Or evening for some of you.

Time to take a break for a moment or two and have a little fun with the following...

Today's Question(s):
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have? How did you overcome that specific fear?

My fear of being old and poor that kept me a workaholic wage slave. I worked myself into the ground doing doubles until I had that breast cancer scare. It cured me forever. ( Yes yes toosie and Pam. I'm going soon for my mammogram.)
Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster? No, never thought about it.
Do you have a fire extinguisher?Yes
A weather alert radio?Nope
Extra water and/or food stored away?Nope
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days?Nope. These are good questions but I think I'll just keep my credit card handy enough to take with. All I need is that, my keys, John, and my pets. The rest will take care of itself.

Just for Fun:
Where I live, while I love the autumn, we are entering the season of what is, in my opinion, the worst weather condition, cold rain! Honestly! It's the worst! What weather condition do you think is the worst?
Hot, humid, unbearable sticky weather. I can dress for the cold rain and I bought an awesome rain coat in Scotland last year. I was on my bike last Monday when I got caught in a sprinkle. Yes it was chilly but it felt so good because I get so hot riding. I decided to carry this real heavy piece of lattice to a local dumpster because it was full enough to be hauled away after my bike ride. I was walking down the alley and half way to the dumpster when the rain started falling pretty good. Crap. I finally get to the dumpster and I have to lift this thing way over my head in the chilly rain, and not get caught. I barely got it on top and headed for home soaked and cold. It was an adventure. I'll still take that over that miserable hot weather any day.

Today in History:
Birthday: 551 BCE Confucius, Chinese philosopher (d. November 21(?) 479 BCE)
Arts/Entertainment: 1987 "Star Trek: The Next Generation," debuts on syndicated TV
Sports: 1996 New York Yankee Jim Leyitz is 2nd catcher to wear a hockey mask
Science/Technology: 1879 Sydney Australia inaugurates steam motor tram route

Today’s Word:
poodle-faker
Pronunciation: (POOD-l fay-kuhr)
Meaning: noun: A man who seeks out the company of upper-status women, especially for advancing himself.
Etymology: The term poodle-faker was British slang for a newly commissioned officer who cultivates female company, especially for social or professional advancement. From poodle (a breed developed to retrieve game from the water), from German Pudel (poodle), from Low German pudeln (to splash about), from pudel (puddle).
Earliest documented use: 1902.

Today is:
Ask a Stupid Question Day
Banned Websites Awareness Day
Fish Tank Floorshow Night
International Right To Know Day
National Drink Beer Day
National Good Neighbor Day
National Women's Health & Fitness Day
Strawberry Cream Pie Day
World Rabies Day

Quote of the Day:
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
~ Confucius ~

Have a good day everyone!

Thanks Pat. It really does feel like fall out there today We had a great day at the zoo yesterday with one of my oldest friends and her two sweet grand daughters. She asked me about the Halloween party, which last year was supposed to be the last year. My friends and the shorties won't let it stop

Old 09-28-2016, 12:10 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,985,822 times
Since it is National Drink A Beer Day I have been doing so for a while. My typing may be a little sloppy.

Mornin' all! (<That's me! LOL) Or evening for some of you.

Time to take a break for a moment or two and have a little fun with the following...

Today's Question(s):
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have? How did you overcome that specific fear?

I use to fear not being able to afford cheap beer. Was able to over came that fear by learning to shop around for cheap beer.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster?
I do. I head to the nearest cheap beer store.

I keep several cans of cheap beer to pour on the fire

A weather alert radio?
I look to see what my cans of cheap beer are doing.

Extra cans of cheap beer

I don't have extra clothing even when in the house. I blew my clothing budget on all that cheap beer

Just for Fun:
I hate the real hot weather. It makes it hard to keep my cheap beer cold

Today in History:
Birthday: 551 BCE Confucius, Chinese philosopher (d. November 21(?) 479 BCE)
Arts/Entertainment: 1987 "Star Trek: The Next Generation," debuts on syndicated TV
Sports: 1996 New York Yankee Jim Leyitz is 2nd catcher to wear a hockey mask
Science/Technology: 1879 Sydney Australia inaugurates steam motor tram route

Today’s Word:
poodle-faker
Pronunciation: (POOD-l fay-kuhr)
Meaning: noun: A man who seeks out the company of upper-status women, especially for advancing himself.
Etymology: The term poodle-faker was British slang for a newly commissioned officer who cultivates female company, especially for social or professional advancement. From poodle (a breed developed to retrieve game from the water), from German Pudel (poodle), from Low German pudeln (to splash about), from pudel (puddle).
Earliest documented use: 1902.

Today is:

Ask a Stupid Question Day
Banned Websites Awareness Day
Fish Tank Floorshow Night
International Right To Know Day
National Drink Beer Day My kind of day. Time for another cheap beer
National Good Neighbor Day
National Women's Health & Fitness Day
Strawberry Cream Pie Day
World Rabies Day

Quote of the Day:
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
~ Confucius ~

Attached Thumbnails

Have a good day everyone!

Old 09-28-2016, 03:23 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,059,204 times
Today's Question(s):
I have an unusual phobia of thunderstorms & lightning. I'm sorry to report that I just can't seem to get past it. I don't think I'm "paranoid" as Paranoia is defined as a fear that is not based in reality & I feel that there is a very "real" reason to be afraid.

But mine goes ... beyond a healthy respect for the dangers. I'm a little "overboard" maybe.

Bonus Question(s):
A weather alert radio?
We have water, sleeping bags, fire-starters, flashlights & medical/first-aid stuff stashed in "Bug-Out Bags".
Thanks for mentioning a fire-exstinguisher; that item should be a top priority!

Just for Fun:
I hate when it is Sunny & Cold. I know how strange that sounds but if it's really cold I want snow & clouds. Fog would be even better! If it's sunny I want it warm.
As I've mentioned before; I'm a "medical vampire" due to a form of Anemia I have & I feel like that plays into it some. The cold is painful for me & sun (especially sun thats glaring on snow) triggers my photosensitivity so the cold + sun is a double-whammy for me.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:09 PM

38,751 posts, read 22,735,715 times
Today's Question(s):
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have? How did you overcome that specific fear? When I was a fairly new driver and I had gotten my first license, I did have a fear of driving on the freeways. I overcame that fear by taking the freeway every chance I got. Now I drive on them without a second thought.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have an escape and re-group plan in case of household emergency or natural disaster? Sort of.
Do you have a fire extinguisher? No.
A weather alert radio? I have one of those portable radios that can be powered by turning a crank.
Extra water and/or food stored away? Yes.
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days? Yes.

Just for Fun:
Where I live, while I love the autumn, we are entering the season of what is, in my opinion, the worst weather condition, cold rain! Honestly! It's the worst! What weather condition do you think is the worst? Unrelenting heat, like what we've had all week.

Happy Hump Day! (What's left of it.)

Old 09-29-2016, 04:25 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Jeez, forgot about this yesterday.

Today's Question(s):
Let's celebrate our triumph over our fears! Is there a fear you've had in the past that you no longer have?

Yes. When I was a little kid I was afraid of Smokey The Bear.

I grew up.

Bonus Question(s):

Just me. No regrouping. I'm in an apartment complex. I'm guessing they'd take care of accounting for people who live there, to authorities, in a disaster.

Do you have a fire extinguisher? yes
A weather alert radio? I'm signed up for alerts on my phone. Have gotten 2 for tornadoes.
Extra water and/or food stored away? no
Extra clothing in case you can't get back to the house for several days? no

Just for Fun:

Summer, 90 degree temperatures, whitish blue hazy sky, sunny no clouds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics