Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday October 17, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Are there streetlights near your home ?
If so, how many streetlights can you see (at night) from there: one, a few, several ?
Do you find that amount of nighttime illumination: too bright, not bright enough, both, or neither ?

Extra Credit:
If your home has a closet, does it have a top shelf (above where clothes would be hung) ?
If so, what do you store on that top shelf ?
How often do you have to stand on tiptoe, in order to see and/or reach atop something ?
How often do you have to crouch down on floor, in order to see/reach beneath something ?

Bonus:
Do you take digital photographs ?
If so, do you…
-crop them (trim off the edges) ?
-take them in hi-resolution, then resize/reduce them later ?
-use filters or other tools/apps to modify/customize the picture(s) ?

Just for Fun:

(See screenshot above)
How do you have threads displayed here at the forum:
Linear (oldest first), Linear (newest first), Threaded, or Hybrid ?

(See screenshot below of where to find/adjust thread display, under Settings & Options: Edit Options)

LINK to FAQ thread-
http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq.p...thread_display

Today in History:
1947: Birth of writer, actor, and musician Michael McKean (Laverne & Shirley, This Is Spinal Tap)
1948: Birth of Margaret “Margot” Kidder (Superman)
1948: Birth of actor George Wendt (Cheers)
1962: Birth of writer, animator, and director Mike Judge (King of the Hill, Office Space)
1963: Birth of comedian & actor Norm Macdonald (SNL)
1964: Formal inauguration of Lake Burley Griffin, a manmade lake in the center of Canberra, Australia
1966: Lesotho and Botswana join the United Nations
1977: Birth of actor Alimi Ballard (Numb3rs)
1979: The Department of Education Organization Act signed into law, creating the U.S. Dept. of Education (the existing Dept. of Health, Education, and Welfare became the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services)
1984: Birth of artist & author Randall Munroe (creator of the webcomic “xkcd”)

Today’s Word:
pretext /ˈprēˌtekst/ (n.): Fabricated or disingenuous reason or cause, provided as an excuse to give cover for the real justification or motivation.

Today Is:
National Pasta Day
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
Wear Something Gaudy Day
-this week is-
Medical Assistants Recognition Week
Freedom of Speech Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
“People may look more in large museums, but arguably they see more in small museums.”
-Tom Vanderbilt

Wishing you a moderately eventful day, C-D peeps.

Last edited by cloven; 10-17-2016 at 02:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 01:39 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
We have real bright streetlights outside my home. I go outside to the wheely bin at night, and think I should break out into a song.

I do have a top shelf in my clothes closet. This is where I keep my valuables. I have a box with important papers in it. Also my movie book collection. Other treasures like my Las Vegas playing card and dice collection. I keep saying I will have a clear out, but I think it's best to leave until after my death.......

I do take a lot of photos, some of which I share with a few city-data friends. I will be going to Spain in a few weeks, and will take plenty there to share.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Today’s Question:
Are there streetlights near your home ? I thought this said street Fights and I was like.
If so, how many streetlights can you see (at night) from there: one, a few, several ? We have street lights.
Do you find that amount of nighttime illumination: too bright, not bright enough, both, or neither ? It's bright enough.

Extra Credit:
If your home has a closet, does it have a top shelf (above where clothes would be hung) ? We have lots of closets.
If so, what do you store on that top shelf ? This and that. Nothing in particular.
How often do you have to stand on tiptoe, in order to see and/or reach atop something ? Not often.
How often do you have to crouch down on floor, in order to see/reach beneath something ? More often, but not very

Bonus:
Do you take digital photographs ? Yep.
If so, do you…
-crop them (trim off the edges) ? Sometimes.
-take them in hi-resolution, then resize/reduce them later ? Maybe.
-use filters or other tools/apps to modify/customize the picture(s) ? Seldom.

Just for Fun:

Newest first.

Have a good week.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:12 AM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times

Today’s Question:
Are there streetlights near your home?
Yes, I can see them from the living room and front bedroom windows.
If so, how many streetlights can you see (at night) from there: one, a few, several?
Two
Do you find that amount of nighttime illumination: too bright, not bright enough, both, or neither ?
I have never had a problem with the amount of illumination, so I guess it's just right.
Extra Credit:
If your home has a closet, does it have a top shelf (above where clothes would be hung)?
Yes
If so, what do you store on that top shelf?
Hats, extra blankets, boxes of memorabilia
How often do you have to stand on tiptoe, in order to see and/or reach atop something?
All the time because I'm only 5'2". I have to stand on my tiptoes to reach the second shelf in my kitchen cupboards, and I need a stepladder to reach the third shelf. Mr. Bay is 6'3", so if he's around I sometimes call out "I need a tall person!" That means I need him to reach something for me. In return for this service I put away dishes on the lower shelves because he doesn't like to bend over.
How often do you have to crouch down on floor, in order to see/reach beneath something?
Usually that happens when I have dropped something that rolls under a table, chair or bed.
Bonus:
Do you take digital photographs?
Yes, I got my first digital camera in 2004.
If so, do you…
-crop them (trim off the edges)?
Yes, all the time.
-take them in hi-resolution, then resize/reduce them later?

I haven't tried that.

Yes, I find these tools to be useful. I was able to digitize an old photo I really loved that was taken with an SLR camera and which unfortunately had come out way underexposed. Through digital manipulation I have been able to make the image look almost as good as if it had been properly exposed in the first place.
Just for Fun:

(See screenshot above)
Linear (oldest first),
<---- This one. Another site I visit has the messages automatically sorted with the newest first, and that really bothers me. In order to follow a thread, I have to go backward to the last page and then work forward, very awkward.
Linear (newest first),
Threaded, or
Hybrid ?

Thanks, cloven!

Old 10-17-2016, 02:20 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Many streetlights here, Also, lights from the many apartment buildings that are crammed together into this area. It's way too bright for me...
I like total darkness when I sleep.

I have 2 small closets in my studio apartment which is not enough. I'm on the tall side but even an average size person would be able to reach the small top shelves, one for each closet.

I used to be into photography but no longer. It's been a long time since I even took a picture with a camera / phone that belongs to someone else.
I've never owned a smartphone and haven't owned a camera in 35 years.

As many here know I have an online friend in China who I correspond with almost daily for over 2 years now. She often sends me pictures. I've sent some of them to Walmart to have made prints made and sometimes I use the cropping feature.

Threads are displayed newest first.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Last edited by John13; 10-17-2016 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Happy Monday October 17, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Are there streetlights near your home ?
No streetlights, this is a rural area where we pay the power company a small fee monthly to have a light installed on our power pole that lights up our own area; otherwise, you'd not be able to see your hand in front of your face at night... 'tis hard to imagine just how dark it can be with no city lights for miles and miles until you experience it.
If so, how many streetlights can you see (at night) from there: one, a few, several ?
Just our one & the faint glow of a few others in the distance.
As Goldilocks would say, this light is just right!

Extra Credit:
If your home has a closet, does it have a top shelf (above where clothes would be hung) ?
If so, what do you store on that top shelf ?
Shoes, purses & whatever in the bedrooms, seasonal stuff in another, & small kitchen appliances in the pantry.
How often do you have to stand on tiptoe, in order to see and/or reach atop something ?
I have a step-stool.
How often do you have to crouch down on floor, in order to see/reach beneath something ?
All depends on what I've put up for safekeeping as that's a sure sign I will have to hunt for it every time!

Bonus:
Do you take digital photographs ?
If so, do you…

Just for Fun:

Today in History:
1947: Birth of writer, actor, and musician Michael McKean (Laverne & Shirley, This Is Spinal Tap)
1948: Birth of Margaret “Margot” Kidder (Superman)
1948: Birth of actor George Wendt (Cheers)
1962: Birth of writer, animator, and director Mike Judge (King of the Hill, Office Space)
1963: Birth of comedian & actor Norm Macdonald (SNL)
1964: Formal inauguration of Lake Burley Griffin, a manmade lake in the center of Canberra, Australia
1966: Lesotho and Botswana join the United Nations
1977: Birth of actor Alimi Ballard (Numb3rs)
1979: The Department of Education Organization Act signed into law, creating the U.S. Dept. of Education (the existing Dept. of Health, Education, and Welfare became the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services)
1984: Birth of artist & author Randall Munroe (creator of the webcomic “xkcd”)

Today’s Word:
pretext /ˈprēˌtekst/ (n.): Fabricated or disingenuous reason or cause, provided as an excuse to give cover for the real justification or motivation.

Today Is:
National Pasta Day
Wear Something Gaudy Day
-this week is-
Freedom of Speech Week

Today’s Picture: Great job!

Thought for the Day:
“People may look more in large museums, but arguably they see more in small museums.”
-Tom Vanderbilt

Wishing you a moderately eventful day, C-D peeps.
Thanks cloven for Monday's QotD!

Happy Monday, Happy Week All, Enjoy!

Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
yes
a couple
it's ok

yes
boxes
not much
not much

yes
yes
hi res
not a fan of filters

Old 10-17-2016, 03:54 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Today’s Question:
Are there streetlights near your home ? yes
If so, how many streetlights can you see (at night) from there: one, a few, several ? its an apartment complex so there are quite a few IMO
Do you find that amount of nighttime illumination: too bright, not bright enough, both, or neither ? ummmm - it's ok. I feel like I see worse at night than many people do.

Extra Credit:
If your home has a closet, does it have a top shelf (above where clothes would be hung) ? yes - two
If so, what do you store on that top shelf ? sweaters, shoes in boxes, extra blanket
How often do you have to stand on tiptoe, in order to see and/or reach atop something ? often - I'm short
How often do you have to crouch down on floor, in order to see/reach beneath something ? often - I'm nimble and my colleagues are clutsy and not mechanically inclined - so I'm picking stuff up and crawling under desks to fix stuff more than you'd expect

Bonus:
Do you take digital photographs ? yes but I rarely edit them. I've used all the methods/tools below, though - except filters.
If so, do you…

Just for Fun:[/b][/color]
(See screenshot above)

linear oldest first

Thank youuuuuu!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:33 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,724 times
Today’s Question:
Are there streetlights near your home ? None, I live on a dirt road that is just a bit wider than one lane.
If so, how many streetlights can you see (at night) from there: one, a few, several ? N/A
Do you find that amount of nighttime illumination: too bright, not bright enough, both, or neither ? There is no nighttime illumination unless there is a moon. Last night, with the full moon, was very bright. With no moon, it's dark and the sky is filled with stars. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Extra Credit:
If your home has a closet, does it have a top shelf (above where clothes would be hung) ? There are only three closets, two have two shelves and the walk in has one.
If so, what do you store on that top shelf ? Various & sundry....
How often do you have to stand on tiptoe, in order to see and/or reach atop something ? Not often. If I want to find something, I need to stand on a chair.
How often do you have to crouch down on floor, in order to see/reach beneath something ? There isn't as much on the floor, so again, not often.

Bonus:
Do you take digital photographs ? No

Just for Fun:

(See screenshot above)
How do you have threads displayed here at the forum: Oldest first

(See screenshot below of where to find/adjust thread display, under Settings & Options: Edit Options)

LINK to FAQ thread-
http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq.p...thread_display

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Pasta Day
Wear Something Gaudy Day Our fifth grade researched tie dying and everyone dyed a shirt last week. Today after recess is the big reveal!
-this week is-
Freedom of Speech Week

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Tom Vanderbilt

Wishing you a moderately eventful day, C-D peeps. Mondays are always eventful in an elementary school.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
[quote=cloven;45850445]Happy Monday October 17, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Very happy so far...took the car in at 9 a.m. for wash, vacuum, etc.; came home and swept my three terraces and will rest on those laurels for awhile.

Today’s Question:
Are there streetlights near your home ? Yes
If so, how many streetlights can you see (at night) from there: one, a few, several ? As I live on the fifth floor and on the highest hill in town, I can see probably half the lights in town and those in a neighboring village as well.
Do you find that amount of nighttime illumination: too bright, not bright enough, both, or neither ? I haven't paid much attention lately, and I do go to bed early, but in non-tourist season the number of lights and their intensity was diminished. I can see the stars so it is not all that bright where I live.

Extra Credit:
If your home has a closet, does it have a top shelf (above where clothes would be hung) ? Yes
If so, what do you store on that top shelf ? Things that I think I am going to use some day (in my heart of hearts I seriously doubt it), and my American and European tax reports.
How often do you have to stand on tiptoe, in order to see and/or reach atop something ? I need a ladder, the upper shelf is a closed space above the closets with its own set of doors. I need something maybe once a year.
How often do you have to crouch down on floor, in order to see/reach beneath something ? Far too many times...all cleaning supplies, many personal papers and stored linens. There is really no other place for these things.

Bonus:
Do you take digital photographs ? Yes
If so, do you…
-crop them (trim off the edges) ? Yes
-take them in hi-resolution, then resize/reduce them later ? Usually
-use filters or other tools/apps to modify/customize the picture(s) ? Not too often

Just for Fun:

(See screenshot above)
Linear (oldest first), Linear (newest first), Threaded, or Hybrid ? oldest first

Today Is:

Wear Something Gaudy Day I was an unintentional celebrant this morning - loud red tee shirt and a plaid flannel shirt in bright red, even brighter blue and yellow.

Thought for the Day:
-Tom Vanderbilt

There is a relatively small museum in Lisbon dedicated to the cultural contacts the Portuguese made in their voyages to Asia. Interesting variety of things as many were articles brought back to Portugal for personal use and home decoration.

Museu Fundação Oriente

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics