Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:48 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times

Advertisements

Deliver da letter, da sooner da better. For your amusement here are . . .

Today's Franked Questions:
Do you ever speak to your postal carrier?

I get my mail out of a PO box. Never see the person stuffing the PO boxes.

What was something you really, really anticipated getting in the mail?

The paperwork saying I was officially adopted by Bill Gates.

Did it live up to expectations? Why or why not?
I am still waiting for it to get stuffed into my PO box.

Bonus Shopping Section:
Do you care about so-called Black Friday shopping or holiday sales?

Could care less. Would rather sit in a doctors waiting room full of screaming kids than go shopping on that day.

Which do you shop at more these days online or in person at stores?

In person at stores

Does it bother you that tracking software might show you ads for things you've looked up online?
Only bothers me that it takes longer for the page to load all the ads.

Foodie Questions:
What, if any, Halloween candy did you eat recently?

Who needs to eat candy when there is stinky cheese.

Do you have any firm
plans for Thanksgiving day dinner yet?
Not yet. Hopefully it is something better than the usual 7-11 microwave cheeseburger I usually have for Christmas.

Just for Fun:
Have you heard any holiday music played yet this year, like in stores, etc.?

Not yet. What I find amusing is instead of playing the muzak most stores use to play they now are playing the rock and roll we grew up with in the 1970's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 12:12 PM

903 posts, read 583,423 times
Do you ever speak to your postal carrier? --

Some new shoes

Yes, the performed quite well and no blisters.

Bonus Shopping Section:
Do you care about so-called Black Friday shopping or holiday sales? --

Does it bother you that tracking software might show you ads for things you've looked up online?
It is always a bit creepy, but then most sites with ads, aren't charging me for the content or use.

Foodie Questions:
Swedish Fish

Do you have any firm
plans for Thanksgiving day dinner yet? --

Just for Fun:
Yes. When it comes to Christmas music, I don't think it should start until after Thanksgiving, but have already heard some.

Today in History:
1939 1st air-conditioned automobiles introduced at auto show in Chicago
1950 Nobel prize for literature awarded to William Faulkner
1951 Direct-dial coast-to-coast telephone service began in US, operators no longer had to connect calls point to point
1969 PBS' children's show "Sesame Street" debuted
1969 20 years after 1st release of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", Gene Autry received a gold record for the single
1983 Bill Gates introduced Windows 1.0, apparently he had some sale success because ---vv
1994 The Leonardo da Vinci manuscript known as the "Codex Leicester" bought by Microsoft's Bill Gates for $30.8 million

Today's Quote:(sliding this quote home a bit late for the season)
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz."
~Humphrey Bogart, actor

Today’s Word:(speaking of franks)
frank [frangk] verb, past: franked
to mark a letter or package for transmittal through mail free of charge by virtue of official or special privilege
Origin: Middle English > Old French 'franc' > Late Latin 'francus' = free
I have always heard it used "to be frank' which still makes sense as someone is about to be free with their opinion.

Drowsy Driving Prevention Week -- - I need this

Have a rockin' good Thursday!
Thank you!!!
cd :O)

Old 11-10-2016, 12:22 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
I do when I see them.

A RX.

It does, keep the BP under control.

Bonus Shopping Section:
Not in the least bit.

Stores

It does bug me.

Foodie Questions:
Absolutely none.

Do you have any firm plans for Thanksgiving day dinner yet?
Nothing firm, best guess, we will host it.

Just for Fun:
No,not on the radio, tv or in the store.

Thanx bjh.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:48 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Do you ever speak to your postal carrier? Occasionally. He lives several houses away from me, on the same street.

What was something you really, really anticipated getting in the mail? Most recently, the complete DVD set of Downton Abbey.

Did it live up to expectations? Definitely! Why or why not? It's one of the best drama series of all time; perhaps the best, and I can enjoy it anytime I want now.

Bonus Shopping Section:
Do you care about so-called Black Friday shopping or holiday sales? Nope. I'd love to get the Black Friday deals, but have no patience for crowds of rude people. I choose to stay home on Black Friday.

Which do you shop at more these days online or in person at stores? For clothing, always in stores. For other things, at least half the time I buy online.

Does it bother you that tracking software might show you ads for things you've looked up online? It gets annoying sometimes, but I don't mind too much.

Foodie Questions:
What, if any, Halloween candy did you eat recently? Kit Kat and Nestle Crunch snack-size bars.

Do you have any firm plans for Thanksgiving day dinner yet? Yep. Dinner at my house! Turkey with all the trimmings, even though there will only be four of us. Everyone will get leftovers to take home.

Just for Fun:
Have you heard any holiday music played yet this year, like in stores, etc.? Yes. And last night, while driving to a church meeting, I passed three houses that had their Christmas decorations lighting up the neighborhood!

Today’s Word:(speaking of franks)
frank [frangk] verb, past: franked
to mark a letter or package for transmittal through mail free of charge by virtue of official or special privilege
Origin: Middle English > Old French 'franc' > Late Latin 'francus' = free
Interesting word. I don't know if people in the military can still do this, but when my dad was in the service, on the letters he sent to my mom there were no stamps, just a handwritten note in place of the stamp that said something like U.S. Marine, #_____. Perhaps that has changed since WWII, though.

Today Includes:
Area Code Day 219 here.
Vanilla Cupcake Day Sounds good. Who's baking?

This Week Includes:
Dear Santa Letter Week Dear Santa, please make my friend, Cheryl, all better.
Drowsy Driving Prevention Week
Young Readers Week "Reading is FUNdamental!"

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-10-2016 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 01:30 PM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,485 times
Do you ever speak to your postal carrier? Quite often. She always brings treats for the dogs.

What was something you really, really anticipated getting in the mail? Books

Did it live up to expectations? Why or why not? Yep, because they were exactly what I ordered.

Bonus Shopping Section:
Do you care about so-called Black Friday shopping or holiday sales? No. I can't stand the crowds and extremely rude people. There is nothing that I need badly enough to go through that.

Which do you shop at more these days online or in person at stores? Stores. Except for books and CDs. Our local book and record store closed so I now get them on line.

Does it bother you that tracking software might show you ads for things you've looked up online? Some, but I don't lose sleep over it.

Foodie Questions:
What, if any, Halloween candy did you eat recently? None

Do you have any firm
plans for Thanksgiving day dinner yet? No

Just for Fun:
Have you heard any holiday music played yet this year, like in stores, etc.? Yes. My favorite radio station started playing nothing but Christmas music on Halloween.

Thanks bjh for the questions. I hope all of you have a good afternoon and evening.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:49 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,610 times
Rarely. It seems like we get a different one quite often in my neighborhood. We're less than a mile from the main post office here in Glen Burnie, so I think they just give extra mail to whoever gets done first.
A plasma ball I mentioned would be coming soon last week. It came on Saturday.
Very much so. Much better than the cheap-o ones they sell at five below and other similar stores. It's nearly 30 years old, but still works great.

Bonus Shopping Section:
No
In person.
Yes, very much so. I have an adblocker, but there are a few sites I use that won't let me have it on while visitng their site. Nearly all the ads I see are related to things I've browsed for lately. Way too intrusive, and that's why I use adblock.

Foodie Questions:
None
The only thing I ever eat for that day is turkey and a few rolls.

Just for Fun:
Yes, blaring out of the Bath and Body Works in what I call the "smelly corner" of a local mall. Combine the smells of a perfume kiosk, the B&BW, and a guy who works at an e-cigarette kiosk who constantly vapes something extremely foul smelling, and that's what you get.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:13 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Do you ever speak to your postal carrier? No

What was something you really, really anticipated getting in the mail? Yes

Did it live up to expectations? Why or why not? Yes. It fit.

Bonus Shopping Section:
Do you care about so-called Black Friday shopping or holiday sales? Absolutely not.

Which do you shop at more these days online or in person at stores? online only

Does it bother you that tracking software might show you ads for things you've looked up online? yes

Foodie Questions:

Just for Fun:

Old 11-10-2016, 05:19 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Do you ever speak to your postal carrier? Occasionally.

Most recently, a check.

Yes. Always good to get those.

Bonus Shopping Section:
Do you care about so-called Black Friday shopping or holiday sales? I don't.

Which do you shop at more these days online or in person at stores? 50/50, and I always want the option of both.

Does it bother you that tracking software might show you ads for things you've looked up online? A bit.

Foodie Questions:
What, if any, Halloween candy did you eat recently? Two snickers peanut butter squares. Just teh right amount of sweetness.

Do you have any firm
plans for Thanksgiving day dinner yet? Not yet. 2 weeks away, we better get cracking.

Just for Fun:
Have you heard any holiday music played yet this year, like in stores, etc.? Haven't, but candy is already in the stores. Years ago I worked in an office where they started playing music over the intercom in November and didn't stop until after New Year's. Everyone I knew of grew to hate it by mid December. We were not even a retail environment so it made no sense. Some thick headed executive's idea apparently. I say let's at least get through Thanksgiving first and can it after Xmas.

Thanks, everyone, who has or will stop in and share your thoughts.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:32 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,334 times
Do you ever speak to your postal carrier? I haven't, but I've waved to her .

What was something you really, really anticipated getting in the mail? These days, nothing much. I ordered a couple of calendars of the desert SW for family in New Zealand and hoped they'd arrive before the overseas mailing deadline.

Did it live up to expectations? Why or why not? Yes -- they were gorgeous and I have them ready to mail tomorrow.

Do you care about so-called Black Friday shopping or holiday sales? Nope.

Which do you shop at more these days online or in person at stores? Definitely online.

Does it bother you that tracking software might show you ads for things you've looked up online? I find it a bit spooky but that's the price we pay for the convenience of online shopping.

What, if any, Halloween candy did you eat recently? A mini Mounds Joy.

Do you have any firm plans for Thanksgiving day dinner yet? I do. I have my family coming for the holiday and have ordered my turkey.

Have you heard any holiday music played yet this year, like in stores, etc.? I haven't been shopping this week, but I did see a Christmas ad on TV yesterday.

Thanks bjh and happy Thursday everyone!

Old 11-11-2016, 02:32 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,857 times
Deliver da letter, da sooner da better. For your amusement here are . . .

Do you ever speak to your postal carrier? no

What was something you really, really anticipated getting in the mail? nothing

Did it live up to expectations? Why or why not? n/a

Bonus Shopping Section:
Do you care about so-called Black Friday shopping or holiday sales? no

Which do you shop at more these days online or in person at stores? none

Does it bother you that tracking software might show you ads for things you've looked up online? nope

Foodie Questions:
What, if any, Halloween candy did you eat recently? nope, no (halloween) candies recently, just chocolate

Do you have any firm plans for Thanksgiving day dinner yet? we don't celebrate thanksgiving in france

Just for Fun:
Have you heard any holiday music played yet this year, like in stores, etc.? what's "holiday music"? and no, i don't go in stores anymore

Have a rockin' good Thursday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics