Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you're getting great ideas here, Jeannie. I'd suggest you go over to the pets section and look for or start a thread there about your furkids. I came down a month before DH, and he brought our 4 cats down in cages. He drove straight down from NNY to SW FL in about 30 hours (had to stop for about 4 thanks to a vehicle problem). I worried about him the whole time, but he made it fine. One cat meowed the entire way, while her brother banged his head on the cage to get out. The other two settled down and slept the whole way. Once they got here, smelled the familiar furniture and found me, they were fine. BTW, none of them would use the litter box the entire trip, altho one did have an "accident" in her cage. They'll adjust - they are flexible creatures when they need to be.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Lord have mercy jeannie...didn't think this was gonna happen so I quite bugging y'all about moving here to God's Country.

Which county are y'all moving to?

DM me if you have any questions about NC that you don't wish ti post as we have been here 13 years now and pretty much have become "almost natives".

OK, now get that beer cheese soup recipe from cynwldkat, yet another Tarheel, and start saying "y'all", "young uns", "I'll be happy to carry y'all in to town"...and for the hubby...the most important of all.........
"If Momma ain't happy...nobody's happy".

Congratulations and welcome...now WE can take credit for having y'all as one of the NC Mods......

Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
Lord have mercy jeannie...didn't think this was gonna happen so I quite bugging y'all about moving here to God's Country.

Which county are y'all moving to?

DM me if you have any questions about NC that you don't wish ti post as we have been here 13 years now and pretty much have become "almost natives".

OK, now get that beer cheese soup recipe from cynwldkat, yet another Tarheel, and start saying "y'all", "young uns", "I'll be happy to carry y'all in to town"...and for the hubby...the most important of all.........
"If Momma ain't happy...nobody's happy".

Congratulations and welcome...now WE can take credit for having y'all as one of the NC Mods......
Thank you UncleBatz, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and yes, you'll be getting my DM's. We didn't think it was happening either thats why I'm in a state of panic mode. We are moving to Johnston County. We're going to rent first to get familiar with the area.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Thank you UncleBatz, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and yes, you'll be getting my DM's. We didn't think it was happening either thats why I'm in a state of panic mode. We are moving to Johnston County. We're going to rent first to get familiar with the area.
What's Johnston County? Or where? Near what? Is that Eastern or Western? What made you pick that area? Any good chocolates there?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
What's Johnston County? Or where? Near what? Is that Eastern or Western? What made you pick that area? Any good chocolates there?
Good questions. After some research, the Raleigh area seemed to be the best for our family all around. We love the beach and we're only about 90 minutes from there. My husband's company where hopefully he'll be hired is in Raleigh. Johnston County is about 30 minutes outside of Raleigh, in the town of Clayton. Chocolate? There better be.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Good questions. After some research, the Raleigh area seemed to be the best for our family all around. We love the beach and we're only about 90 minutes from there. My husband's company where hopefully he'll be hired is in Raleigh. Johnston County is about 30 minutes outside of Raleigh, in the town of Clayton. Chocolate? There better be.
LOLLLLLLL... Well it all makes purrfect sense! Durham/Raleigh, yeh!!!

I have a friend from NY who works at UNC Chapel Hill and I know a couple of the docs over at Duke. You won't have any problems nursing there either.
Good job Jeannie!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,830,029 times
Fantastic Jeannie! I am so glad it is finally working out!
We have done so many moves including 2 long distance moves with our dog. I use the same method as MovingtoHouston and try to pack at least a couple of boxes everyday. When my son was younger I would get him to help pack his room as he was always worried about his toys getting lost. We also made sure to load his boxes last so they would be first off the truck and he would have something to do while we unloaded the rest.
I also make sure I have the account numbers/contact info for all bills in case statements get lost in the mail forwarding process. That way I can go ahead and pay them online or by phone without worrying about being late.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:28 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,221 times
Things I learned while moving cross-country:

Ditch the books - they're heavy and most of them you probably won't crack open again anyway. Don't want to get rid of them all? Set a limit - one or two boxes... all others get donated.

Clothes - if you haven't worn it in a year, donate them.

Boxes - liquor stores are great places to get free boxes, and a lot will still have dividers that come in handy for glasses. Printer paper boxes are great too - if you don't work in an office, I'm sure you know someone that does.

Buy lots of real packing tape. Then buy twice as much more... you'll need it.

Collect as much newspaper as you can - it goes quick.

Glad Press and Seal has a multitude of uses - even when packing things like silverware, pens or miscellaneous items.

We went with Penske for renting a truck. They were great to deal with and have a pretty substantial AAA discount.

Choice Hotels and Drury Inns are pet friendly (we had 3 cats). Some require a deposit, some didn't... check beforehand.

If you're moving far... get a AAA membership and a trip-tik. They're free and they can give you several different routes. Also, you'll get discounts on hotels, rentals and of course they'll help you out if you have car troubles.

My husband is a pack-rat. I used the move as a great chance to get rid of A LOT of stuff. Heck, you could even make some spare cash if you find the time to take your old stuff to a local flea market.

Good luck to you. I won't even go into the whole cat-moving part right now since this post is getting kinda long.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Oh, Jeannie. Stop by your local newspaper. They'll often give away ends of the rolls for paper. It's great to use, because there's no ink on them to get things all black and dirty and you can rip it to whatever length you want.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:07 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
Hey Jeannie...I am so happy for you...finally.
You can do it, 4 1/2 weeks is a long time.
Pack up everything starting today that are non-essentials.

STAY CALM...that's all you have to remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics