Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times

Advertisements

Okay, not to bore you with all the details, but, after a roller coaster ride with our potential buyers since the beginning of January...http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/jeannie216/Coaster.gif (broken link)...demanding additional inspections, credits, repairs, we finally said "no more!" and they decided to null and void the contract and walk away 3 weeks ago. Now, from out of the blue, they've come back and in full swing with a new contract, under our terms and we'll be signing the contract this week with a closing date of March 31st! So, because of my overwelming anxiety, I thought I may get some tips from all of my friends here on CD, some that may have even experienced moving recently, on how to organize, pack, and move in 4 1/2 weeks.....where to start, what needs to be done, packing tips, in what order, etc. etc. Oh, and from all you wonderful pet owners out there, we're also dealing with 2 cats and a dog...http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/jeannie216/36_33_8.gif (broken link)http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/jeannie216/36_22_20.gif (broken link)http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/jeannie216/36_22_14.gif (broken link) Signed, feeling overwelmed and anxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,181,956 times
First of all...good luck! Try not to be too anxious. How big is your current house and how big is your new house? Who is helping you move?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyhossenlopp View Post
First of all...good luck! Try not to be too anxious. How big is your current house and how big is your new house? Who is helping you move?
Well, the good news is we are leaving most of our furniture, very old and going to buy new a little at a time. We are doing the move ourselves with family members, and we are going to rent a house initially.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Congrats on your sale. You have lots of time. LOL> First I would start with everything you don't use on a daily basis. Pack all that stuff up first. After moving 15 times it becomes something of an art form for us. Next I would start taking all the pictures off the walls, books off the shelves, videos, music etc.. Then clothes you aren't currently wearing, example...summer clothes in winter or the reverse. Clean as you go. Say you empty out a closet, clean the shelves, vacuum close the door and don't open it again. Same with cabinets, once you empty clean it etc... If you have extra rooms empty them clean them, move on to the next.

Do a little each day so you aren't overwhelmed by moving day. By the last few weeks you should be down to the essentials for day to day living, dishes and pans only needed to make small meals etc...For me the kitchen is the hardest. We always try to use up all food, canned and perishables. Its a pain to pack up canned goods (heavy boxes) We always buy new when we get to the new home.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Oh Jeannie dear, I'm so excited for you, I moved an entire household, husband, two kids, fish tank and fish, dog, cat and 17 years of accumulation 800 miles cross country in 2 weeks. LOL you can do it!!!

HOW???

Throw most of your stuff away or have a garage sale.

Seriously though, start packing up everything tonight!! A little bit each day and you'll be fine!!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Ok Jeannie, I've decided to rent a moving vans for you and your husband.

Here is a truck for your husband and kids!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

And here is your moving truck! Your CD friends will be there March 31st to pick you up. Tell the hubby not to wait!!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:56 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Great advice so far from posters!!

As for pets, we traveled from PA to FL with a dog, 3 cats, 3 fish. We did the trip in two days meaning 1 night in a hotel. As for the dog, we stopped about every 4 hours or so. Offered him water, let him stretch his legs and do his thing. The cats were in their crates the whole time, were offered water when we stopped, and were let loose when we got to the hotel (we brought a litter box with us). We fed them all in the evening only and not in the morning as usual. All of them faired well - no problems except the cats were obviously sick-n-tired of their crates :-)

As for fish (goldfish, so not in need of heated tank), we had a small aquarium, half full of water, sitting in a large plastic bin in the back of our stationwagon.

I know what you're feeling! Believe me I know it all too well! (We also had some unbearable buyers in the past!) But just as it's been suggested, take it easy and just stay organized. If you're a list person, make one - feels great to scratch things off the list when they're done! It can be done in 4 weeks!

About 2 weeks before you move, start making the calls to end and begin utilities (electric, cable, phone, etc). As soon as you know your new address, start the address-change thing with the post office.

Congrats on your move!!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Ok Jeannie, I've decided to rent a moving vans for you and your husband.

Here is a truck for your husband and kids!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link) By the way, who is driving the stretch limo for us?

And here is your moving truck! Your CD friends will be there March 31st to pick you up. Tell the hubby not to wait!!

aawwee, MonaLisa, how sweet. Now, thats the way to move. Things are looking better already.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Hey Jeannie..Great Question...first off, Congrats on the sell and finally making the move! I'm about to start the home selling phase as my house will go on the market in the next few weeks in preparation for my move north to Chicago so any and all information on here is pertinent and important for me too. I've made large moves before...Texas to Florida..Florida to Chicago..Chicago to NYC...NYC to DFW...now DFW to Chicago...so I know the stress but I like to get other's perspectives and ideas and make better changes as I pack slowly.

Thanks for the info and please keep the advice coming!

And I'm selling and giving away a lot of "stuff"....I'm not really beholden to too many items or furniture, thank goodness.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Hey Jeannie..Great Question...first off, Congrats on the sell and finally making the move! I'm about to start the home selling phase as my house will go on the market in the next few weeks in preparation for my move north to Chicago so any and all information on here is pertinent and important for me too. I've made large moves before...Texas to Florida..Florida to Chicago..Chicago to NYC...NYC to DFW...now DFW to Chicago...so I know the stress but I like to get other's perspectives and ideas and make better changes as I pack slowly.

Thanks for the info and please keep the advice coming!
940, very nice to see you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics