Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:06 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times

Advertisements

[quote=cloven;46404706]Happy Monday December 5, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? Maybe a couple of washes. I won't buy them if they're uncomfortable.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ?Forever.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ?Yes.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? No. My roller skates were getting kind of ratty, so I just replaced the skates
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ?
nope.
Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? That was last summer and some left over building materials.
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ?In store credit because John forgot the receipt.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ?Rarely.
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ?Credit card and one takes coins.
How often do you use a parking garage ? We just used one for the movie last week. We just used one for the movie last week. It was so convenient. Take the elevator up to the third floor and the theater was right there.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? No, it was free.

Just for Fun:
Have you been to an event or restaurant with...
coat-check service/cloakroom ?Yes
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ?Yes
valet parking ?Yes

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloakroom#Attendants

Today in History:
1932: Birth of musician & singer-songwriter “Little Richard”, Richard Wayne Penniman
1933: Ratification of the 21st amendment to U.S. Constitution, repealing the 18th amendment (Prohibition against alcohol)
1934: Birth of author Joan Didion (The Year of Magical Thinking)
1944: Birth of actor Jeroen Krabbé (The Fugitive, Ocean’s Twelve)
1952: Air pollution & fog create the Great Smog of London which lasts for several days, causing thousands of fatalities
1955: Start of the Montgomery AL bus boycott, after the arrest of Rosa Parks
1958: Britain’s first motorway (controlled-access highway) opens, the Preston By-pass
1968: Birth of actress & comedian Margaret Cho (Face/Off)
1976: Birth of actress Amy Acker (Angel, Alias)

Today’s Word:
resplendent /rəˈsplendənt/ (adj.): Impressively and attractively dazzling, brilliant, bright and shiny.

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day
World Soil Day
Bathtub Party Day
National Sacher Torte Day
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
“There is no such thing as absolute certainty, but there is assurance sufficient for the purposes of human life.”
-John Stuart Mill

Wishing you a sturdy life raft, safe passage, and wondrous sights on your day today

Thanks Cloven dear one. I haven't heard from my skating buddy yet. His poor wife is sick so I don't know if they'll be ice skating today.

It was snowing when we went to see It's a Wonderful Life and it was a winter wonder land when we left the theater. We got almost 6 inches Gog walkies last night was magic. I saw a buck. What a treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 10:02 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable? I buy ones that are comfortable right from the get-go.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots? If they fit me correctly, they're comfortable immediately.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately? No, but I need to go through closets and get rid of some things which I haven't worn in years.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots? Not in many years. I'm not sure why, but my laces never wear out.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces? Yes. One of my pairs of tennis is black and has neon pink laces.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently? Nope.
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange? N/A

Bonus: How often do you use a parking meter? Rarely. It's been at least a couple of years since I last used one. My town used to have them, but removed them about 20 years ago.
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment? N/A
How often do you use a parking garage? Rarely; maybe once in a few years. However, a friend of mine drove when we went to Chicago last Friday, and she parked in a parking garage. I hate driving in those narrow spirals.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method? The one we used on Friday was automated. In one neighborhood, we parked on the street and each block had a little machine to pay for parking and you'd take the ticket and put it on your dashboard police could see that you'd paid.

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom? Yes.
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement? Yes.
valet parking? Yes, but I/we don't use the valet.

Today’s Word:
resplendent /rəˈsplendənt/ (adj.): Impressively and attractively dazzling, brilliant, bright and shiny. I knew that.

Today Is:
Blue Jeans Day Yay! But I'm not wearing jeans today.
World Soil Day Soil is good. *lol*
Bathtub Party Day Yippee! Sounds fun!
National Sacher Torte Day I love sacher torte and have made it at home. It's a lot of work but soooo delicious.
-this month is-
Spiritual Literacy Month

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-05-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 11:37 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? I've not noticed that they needed "worn in" time.......... put them on and things seem ok.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? Usually a few weeks however the last time I bought shoes I was lucky enough to get a great pair that were very comfortable and a perfect fit. I ended up going back to the store and bought a second pair for when the first pair wore out..... however after four or five years I'm still walking in the first pair without issues......
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? Every now and then I get rid of things that I figured out I just don't need or use any longer.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? no, not happening
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? not often... generally the typical simple clothing items.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? Yes
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ? refunds usually

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? not often here in town
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? coins or card usually
How often do you use a parking garage ? We use it at the one shopping mall.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? Self-parking and is free of charge.

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ?
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ?
valet parking ? I don't let anyone have the keys to my car nor drive it around for parking or something else. Why would I give my keys away like that. It's crazy if you don't have to. And one of my favorite restaurants changed and had valet parking,,,,, I've never returned to enjoy eating there again.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:50 AM

903 posts, read 582,790 times

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ?
After a couple of washes.

How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ?
For shoes, a good week

Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ?
Had to throw out a number of Christmas light strings yesterday.

Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ?
In the past.

Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ?
The ones I have right now are a bright orange. the shoes are a mix of black/orange/red.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ?
No.

If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ?
Usually prefer a refund

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ?
1x year, on average

Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ?
The last time I was able to use a credit card

How often do you use a parking garage ?
Several times a year, on average

Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ?
It has all 3. The no attendant booth broke down once while I was there. That wasn't fun as they tried to re-route people.

Just for Fun:
valet parking ?

Wishing you a sturdy life raft, safe passage, and wondrous sights on your day today

Thank you, we are facing rain most of the week.
cd :O)

Old 12-05-2016, 12:18 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ?
A few washes unless they are Levis then it's more than several washes.

New Balance shoes seen to be pre broken in.

Getting ready too.

Yes, but not recently.

Extra Credit:
Nope

If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ?

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ?
Very rarely.

All of the above.

How often do you use a parking garage ?
Very rarely.

Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ?
I forgot.

Just for Fun:

valet parking ?

Thanx Cloven

Old 12-05-2016, 08:22 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
Today’s Question:
Awhile back was getting used/hand-me-down jeans from friend, which made the process unnecessary.
Recently bought new jeans for first time in decades-it was confusing & frustrating.
Eventually settled on couple pairs with elastic in them, which makes them stretch and means they fit better than the other styles did.
But bc. of that, they don't really have a breaking in phase, as far as I can tell-they're still new, so I don't really know.

Boots are difficult, esp. if they're for inclement weather and aren't worn often, day after day (yet). So that stage remains unachieved...
Yup-bought several new shirts, finally felt able to toss out a few shirts (20+ yrs. old, believe it or not) that were falling to pieces.
Yep-the original laces on my grey sneakers wore out...
...and when I shopped for new ones I chose bright purple laces, bc. they're cheerful & pretty.

Extra Credit:
Not personally-last week, accompanied friend doing so, a lampshade had broken before she'd even assembled the light.
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ? (she got) refund.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Almost never
coins or local parking smartcard
How often do you use a parking garage ? Few times a year.
Same as with the open parking lots (which are what I use 1x/wk):
put in money, dispenser prints out paper with time, return to your car and place inside front dashboard so it's visible.
Enforcement is by meter maids who roam about with their ticket pads in pocket.

Just for Fun:
valet parking ?

^Don't think so-
is possible once when I was little kid, but don't remember/wasn't really aware back then.
Think I saw a cloakroom and coat-check attendant in a theater long ago & didn't understand the concept.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Happy Monday December 5, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you wear jeans/denim, how long does it take until they feel “worn in”, more comfortable ? I tend to buy jeans used. Been a longtime since I bought a new pair.
How long does it take to break in, get used to, a new pair of shoes or boots ? Oh, it depends on the shoes. I'm hard to fit, so I never buy shoes that don't feel good when I buy them.
Have you gotten rid of something “worn out” or broken lately ? A sweater. I think the bathroom clock is going to hit the can, too - I bought it at Goodwill and it's not a good one.
Have you replaced the laces on a pair of sneakers or boots ? Yes but not for a long time.
Have you ever worn colorful (other than tan, black, white, etc.) and/or patterned shoelaces ? Yes.

Extra Credit:
Have you returned an item to the store recently ? Nope. This is something I despise, so I'm careful.
If so, did you get a refund, store credit, or exchange ? Don't remember.

Bonus:
How often do you use a parking meter ? Fairly often.
Does it accept tokens, a “smart card”, coins, or other payment ? Depends, but I really prefer to just pay cash, and I prefer lots with attendants.
How often do you use a parking garage ? A few times a year, most during summer.
Does it involve a booth & attendant, an automated ticket dispenser, and/or other method ? Most of them have attendants.

Just for Fun:
coat-check service/cloakroom ? Event, yes; restaurant, no.
suit-and-tie/formal dress requirement ? Company Christmas party decades ago.
valet parking ? No.

Thank, Cloven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics