Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday December 19, everybody-and welcome to QOTD

Today’s Question:

As an adult, have you ever gone on vacation with extended family
(not just your spouse/offspring, but for example your parents or grandparents) ?
If you have (or have had) in-laws, did you ever go on vacation together (with them) ?

Have you taken a vacation in a group ?
If so, was it a group which booked the plans together, that knew each other beforehand-
or a group made up of random strangers, who only met upon arrival ?

Extra Credit:
Where you live, do drivers in oncoming traffic signal that you can turn (they’ll let you cross lanes first) by flashing/blinking their headlights ?
Or by a wave of the hand ?
If you cross the street on foot, do you exchange acknowledgment with drivers who stop in traffic for pedestrians ?

Have you ever locked your keys inside your car ?
Have you ever left something (phone, drink, purse, gloves, etc.) on top of your car, when driving away ?
Have you ever had another driver try to get your attention, and you thought at first he/she was being rude, but it turned out they were only trying to be helpful-
bc. you had a vehicle problem (or something along those lines) that you hadn’t noticed ?

Bonus:
If you eat ice cream, popsicles, or other frozen treats…do you only consume them in summer/warm months, or do you enjoy them year-round (incl. during winter) ?

Just for Fun:

Have you ever laid on a massage table (cushioned platform with donut-shaped headrest, used by a massage therapist) ?
Have you ever sat in an electric massaging chair (furniture which advertises itself as providing full-body massage) ?

Today in History:

1932: Launch of BBC Empire Service (shortwave radio), later renamed BBC World Service
1944: Birth of actor Tim Reid (WKRP in Cincinnati, Simon & Simon)
1968: Birth of actor, screenwriter, and director Ken Marino (Veronica Mars, Party Down)
1980: Birth of actor Jake Gyllenhaal (Donnie Darko, End of Watch)
2001: In Tosontsengel, Mongolia, a record high is set for barometric pressure
2013: Launch of the European Space Agency’s space observatory/telescope Gaia

Today’s Word:
espouse /iˈspouz/ (v.): Adopt, approve, promulgate, endorse, promote.

Today Is:
Oatmeal Muffin Day
this week is
Gluten-free Baking Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at center-

Thought for the Day:
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.”
-anon.

Wishing you smooth sailing, and here’s hoping you don’t get bogged down in the doldrums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 12:23 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
[quote=cloven;46550472]Happy Monday December 19, everybody-and welcome to QOTD

Today’s Question:

(not just your spouse/offspring, but for example your parents or grandparents) ? No.
If you have (or have had) in-laws, did you ever go on vacation together (with them) ? Whoa, no!

Have you taken a vacation in a group ? Nope.
If so, was it a group which booked the plans together, that knew each other beforehand-or a group made up of random strangers, who only met upon arrival ? We met groups of people on a cruise ship and that was only temporarily.

Extra Credit:
Where you live, do drivers in oncoming traffic signal that you can turn (they’ll let you cross lanes first) by flashing/blinking their headlights ?
If you cross the street on foot, do you exchange acknowledgment with drivers who stop in traffic for pedestrians ? Sometimes.

Have you ever locked your keys inside your car ? Yes, once.
Have you ever left something (phone, drink, purse, gloves, etc.) on top of your car, when driving away ?
Have you ever had another driver try to get your attention, and you thought at first he/she was being rude, but it turned out they were only trying to be helpful-
bc. you had a vehicle problem (or something along those lines) that you hadn’t noticed ?

Bonus:
If you eat ice cream, popsicles, or other frozen treats…do you only consume them in summer/warm months, or do you enjoy them year-round (incl. during winter) ? All year around, just had ice cream 20 minutes ago.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever laid on a massage table (cushioned platform with donut-shaped headrest, used by a massage therapist) ? No, I don't let strangers touch my body.
Have you ever sat in an electric massaging chair (furniture which advertises itself as providing full-body massage) ? Once at a State fair, was not impressed.
[u]
Wishing you smooth sailing, and here’s hoping you don’t get bogged down in the doldrums.
[/QUOTE

Nice maze again cloven

Last edited by wit-nit; 12-19-2016 at 12:35 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
X marks the spot...

Today’s Question:

(not just your spouse/offspring, but for example your parents or grandparents) ?
If you have (or have had) in-laws, did you ever go on vacation together (with them) ?

Have you taken a vacation in a group ? VBS!
If so, was it a group which booked the plans together, that knew each other beforehand-
Youth retreat.
Extra Credit:
If you cross the street on foot, do you exchange acknowledgment with drivers who stop in traffic for pedestrians ? If they're not just stopped because of a traffic signal,..yes!

Bonus:
If you eat ice cream, popsicles, or other frozen treats…do you only consume them in summer/warm months, or do you enjoy them year-round (incl. during winter) ? Prefer in summer.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever laid on a massage table (cushioned platform with donut-shaped headrest, used by a massage therapist) ?
Have you ever sat in an electric massaging chair (furniture which advertises itself as providing full-body massage) ?

Today in History:

1932: Launch of BBC Empire Service (shortwave radio), later renamed BBC World Service
1944: Birth of actor Tim Reid (WKRP in Cincinnati, Simon & Simon)
1968: Birth of actor, screenwriter, and director Ken Marino (Veronica Mars, Party Down)
1980: Birth of actor Jake Gyllenhaal (Donnie Darko, End of Watch)
2001: In Tosontsengel, Mongolia, a record high is set for barometric pressure
2013: Launch of the European Space Agency’s space observatory/telescope Gaia

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Oatmeal Muffin Day
this week is
Gluten-free Baking Week

Thought for the Day:
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.”
-anon.

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 12-19-2016 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 12:54 AM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times

Today’s Question:

No, my family wasn't that close. Some of my cousins do that. They travel together in packs.
No, my only in-law was an elderly lady who didn't travel.
Have you taken a vacation in a group ?
No, I've never done that.
--
Extra Credit:
I've heard of that but haven't seen it. I sometimes blink my lights briefly to say "thank you" when someone lets me have the right of way.
That's a lot more common here in the city.
If you cross the street on foot, do you exchange acknowledgment with drivers who stop in traffic for pedestrians ?
Yes, I always smile and wave.
No, but I have gotten locked out because I lost my keys.
Yes, I did that when I was taking a night class. Left my books and school binder on top of the car. Someone saw me start driving off and waved me down.
No, but the opposite happened once. I was turning right onto Market Street when I changed lanes and inadvertently cut someone off. The car looked familiar, and I thought it was a co-worker who had left the company garage at the same time I did. So I smiled and waved a friendly "hi," only to be met by the angry stare of a complete stranger. He must have thought I had a lot of nerve, cutting him off and then smiling and waving at him!

Bonus:
If you eat ice cream, popsicles, or other frozen treats…do you only consume them in summer/warm months, or do you enjoy them year-round (incl. during winter) ?
All year round.

Just for Fun:

Yes, I've had a couple of professional massages and a facial.
I've seen those chairs in Brookstone and places like that, but invariably there will be some young dude camped out in the chair, so I've never gotten the chance to sit in one.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 12-19-2016, 01:15 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,724 times

Today’s Question:

(not just your spouse/offspring, but for example your parents or grandparents) ? Haven't. My parents/grandparents didn't vacation away from home.
If you have (or have had) in-laws, did you ever go on vacation together (with them) ? I went to Cape Cod several times with in-laws and friends of their family.

Have you taken a vacation in a group ? Never a group of strangers, only daughters and grands, sisters and their families.
or a group made up of random strangers, who only met upon arrival ? The seniors in town take trips together & I may go with them once retired.

Extra Credit:
Where you live, do drivers in oncoming traffic signal that you can turn (they’ll let you cross lanes first) by flashing/blinking their headlights ? Sometimes
Or by a wave of the hand ? Sometimes
If you cross the street on foot, do you exchange acknowledgment with drivers who stop in traffic for pedestrians ? I wave and say thank you.

Have you ever locked your keys inside your car ? Haven't. My sister was just telling me about her daughter locking keys inside the car while the car was going.
Have you ever left something (phone, drink, purse, gloves, etc.) on top of your car, when driving away ? Oh, yes. Usually it's a drink left on the car.
bc. you had a vehicle problem (or something along those lines) that you hadn’t noticed ? Have..... The drink left on the car.

Bonus:

Just for Fun:

Have you ever laid on a massage table (cushioned platform with donut-shaped headrest, used by a massage therapist) ? Haven't
Have you ever sat in an electric massaging chair (furniture which advertises itself as providing full-body massage) ? Haven't

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Oatmeal Muffin Day
this week is
Gluten-free Baking Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at center-

Thought for the Day:
-anon.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 12-19-2016, 01:35 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Today’s Question:

(not just your spouse/offspring, but for example your parents or grandparents) ? Nope, not once.
If you have (or have had) in-laws, did you ever go on vacation together (with them) ? Once. And that was enough.

Have you taken a vacation in a group ? Nope. I travel alone or with my spouse only.

Extra Credit:
Where you live, do drivers in oncoming traffic signal that you can turn (they’ll let you cross lanes first) by flashing/blinking their headlights ? Once in a while.
Or by a wave of the hand ? That, too.
If you cross the street on foot, do you exchange acknowledgment with drivers who stop in traffic for pedestrians ? Yes.

Have you ever locked your keys inside your car ? Nope.
Have you ever left something (phone, drink, purse, gloves, etc.) on top of your car, when driving away ? Nope.

Bonus:
If you eat ice cream, popsicles, or other frozen treats…do you only consume them in summer/warm months, or do you enjoy them year-round (incl. during winter) ? Summer only; however, I like popsickles when I have a sore throat anytime.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever laid on a massage table (cushioned platform with donut-shaped headrest, used by a massage therapist) ? Yes.
[u] Yes. I own a massage chair but it doesn't work the legs.

Thanks, Cloven.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:20 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Today’s Question:
- Never did this.

Have you taken a vacation in a group ? - Nope, never.

- N/A

Extra Credit:
- It's rare but most do wait their turn

Or by a wave of the hand ? - Even rarer.

If you cross the street on foot, do you exchange acknowledgment with drivers who stop in traffic for pedestrians ? - If I'm in the crosswalk with the green walk sign it shouldn't be necessary. But one must be careful, especially around here where many do not wait for pedestrians to cross the street. They will swerve around you while you are crossing. It's happened to me a few times especially now that I have to cross a busy street to get to my job.

I have a friend who does not have a car and he sometimes writes me emails on close calls in crosswalks.

Have you ever locked your keys inside your car ? - Nope.

Have you ever left something (phone, drink, purse, gloves, etc.) on top of your car, when driving away ? - Never did that.

- I don't think so / can't recall.

Bonus:
- Year-round

Just for Fun:
- No

Have you ever sat in an electric massaging chair (furniture which advertises itself as providing full-body massage) ? - I've never been on one that did full body but nail salons have these and I have been on those.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Old 12-19-2016, 03:14 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
We never went on holiday when I was a kid. It was different back then, than today. Nowadays, families go off together to places like Greece and Spain. When I was a kid, families only went on holiday in Britain.

Maybe a week in Blackpool by the sea, in a caravan or b & b. My dad had grown up during the war, and I guess never felt the need for a holiday, because he never went on any. We would maybe sometimes have a day trip to Blackpool by coach. My Auntie and Uncle did use to take my sister and I for a day out to Blackpool every summer. I used to really look forward to it. They would park their car by the beach, and we would spend the day on the sands digging holes, and making sand castles.

I only ever went one place with my dad. About 35 years ago, I got the chance for a cheap few days in London, at a fancy hotel in Mayfair. I asked him if he'd like to go, and he said yes. I was real pleased to get to spend a few days in London with my dad. I had spent a lot of time there in the past, so knew were all the places were that he'd like to see.

I took him to the Tower of London, and Buckingham Palace. He loved seeing all the tourist stuff. At night we went to the movies. I saw 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' with him, and he thought it was a great film. I've got a lot of good memories of that weekend long ago.

We managed to lock our keys in the car once......... at a funeral. We arrived, and had trouble parking. My wife, who was driving got a bit frazzled. The car we owned at the time, had those switches you pressed in the doors. Climb out, press them, and the doors locked when shut. As we did it, my wife said, "David...... I've left the keys in the ignition, and also the engine running." I looked at her with astonishment. I couldn't believe it.

The funeral guys were real sympathetic. One got a long piece of that unbreakable wrapping stuff. It was thin, and strong. He managed to slide it in through the car frame somehow, and hooked it over the lock switch, and lifted it. We thanked him, turned off the car engine, and rushed into the funeral...........

I have never had those massages, but my wife has. In Tunisia, Turkey, and this year in Bulgaria. She says she feels a new woman after such treatments. Can't say I fancy having someone pawing at me maself...........

Old 12-19-2016, 04:28 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Today’s Question:
no
(not just your spouse/offspring, but for example your parents or grandparents) ? no
If you have (or have had) in-laws, did you ever go on vacation together (with them) ? no

Have you taken a vacation in a group ? no
N/A

Extra Credit:
no
Or by a wave of the hand ? no
If you cross the street on foot, do you exchange acknowledgment with drivers who stop in traffic for pedestrians ? N/A

Have you ever locked your keys inside your car ? yes
Have you ever left something (phone, drink, purse, gloves, etc.) on top of your car, when driving away ? no

Not that I recall.

Bonus:
Frozen/cold stuff all year 'round.

Just for Fun:
no
Have you ever sat in an electric massaging chair (furniture which advertises itself as providing full-body massage) ? no

Old 12-19-2016, 05:02 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Today’s Question:[/u]
(not just your spouse/offspring, but for example your parents or grandparents) ? yes with my mom and sister
If you have (or have had) in-laws, did you ever go on vacation together (with them) ? no but we've stayed at each other's houses.

Have you taken a vacation in a group ? sort of
or a group made up of random strangers, who only met upon arrival ? it was a few of us who knew each other online but hadn't met in person. We convened in a city and stayed at the house of one of our group. It sounds crazy but it worked.

Extra Credit:
Where you live, do drivers in oncoming traffic signal that you can turn (they’ll let you cross lanes first) by flashing/blinking their headlights ? sometimes
Or by a wave of the hand ? sometimes
If you cross the street on foot, do you exchange acknowledgment with drivers who stop in traffic for pedestrians ?usually I'll sort of wave. But I also usually don't like these situations. Just worry about yourself and I'll take care of myself - so often giving the right of way just complicates things for everyone

Have you ever locked your keys inside your car ?no
Have you ever left something (phone, drink, purse, gloves, etc.) on top of your car, when driving away ?no but I know someone who did that with the proofs from her wedding
bc. you had a vehicle problem (or something along those lines) that you hadn’t noticed ?no

Bonus:
If you eat ice cream, popsicles, or other frozen treats…do you only consume them in summer/warm months, or do you enjoy them year-round (incl. during winter) ?popsicles almost exclusively summer - other frozen treats anytime.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever laid on a massage table (cushioned platform with donut-shaped headrest, used by a massage therapist) ?sort of - something similar at medical offices like chiropractor
Have you ever sat in an electric massaging chair (furniture which advertises itself as providing full-body massage) ?yes but usually when it's off
[u]

[color=DarkRed][b]Thought for the Day:
-anon.

Wishing you smooth sailing, and here’s hoping you don’t get bogged down in the doldrums.this must be a mythology reference but it makes me think fondly of The Phantom Tollbooth wait - I'm working backwards and just read today's thought - maybe this IS a Phantom Tollbooth reference!

Happy day all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics