Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:02 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

The weather in "Da Region" is a roller coaster this week; first mild, then freezing! Hard to know how to dress!

Take a break for just a bit, and have a little fun with today's Qs.

Today's Question(s):

What do you like to do when the weather is nice outside?
Take a walk.

What do you like to do when the weather is cold outside?
Stay inside with a good book and a hot beverage.

Does it snow where you live? If it doesn't, have you ever experienced snow elsewhere? If you've ever experienced snow, what do you think of it? This or this
It snows here so rarely that when it does, even a little dusting is front page headline news. And a little dusting is the most we'd ever get even on those rare occasions, not enough to stick to the ground.

Bonus Question(s):

Do you dress in layers to accommodate changing temperatures both indoors and outdoors? Or do you simply dress for the weather and take your chances?
Layers are always a good idea in a coastal climate like this because it can be warm during the day but downright chilly at night. Normally I wear a light jacket, sweater or vest in moderate weather and a coat with scarf and gloves when it's cold, as it was last night.

Do you keep a sweater or jacket in your car, "just in case?"
No, I rarely stray very far from home, so I can go get one if I need it.

Just For Fun:

If you purchase pre-made foods in plastic containers, such as cole slaw, potato salad, etc., do you keep the plastic container for re-use to store leftovers? Or do you get rid of the container (garbage, recycling, etc.) and save the leftovers in other packaging/wrapping?
If the container is durable looking I may keep it. Otherwise all plastic containers go into the recycle bin.

Today is:
National Chocolate Candy Day I'm in!

Thanks, PatsCats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 05:38 AM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Mornin' all!

The weather in "Da Region" is a roller coaster this week; first mild, then freezing! Hard to know how to dress!

Today's Question(s):

What do you like to do when the weather is nice outside? I love gardening,go rollerblading,biking walking or hiking

What do you like to do when the weather is cold outside? If there is not a strong wind I love cross country skiing or sledding or just take a walk or sit at home reading a book by the fireplace or even bake

Does it snow where you live? Yes we had already quite a bit of snowIf it doesn't, have you ever experienced snow elsewhere? If you've ever experienced snow, what do you think of it? This or this

Bonus Question(s):

Do you dress in layers to accommodate changing temperatures both indoors and outdoors? Or do you simply dress for the weather and take your chances? In winter I definitely dress in layers

Do you keep a sweater or jacket in your car, "just in case?" Always

Just For Fun:

If you purchase pre-made foods in plastic containers, such as cole slaw, potato salad, etc., do you keep the plastic container for re-use to store leftovers? No I do not Or do you get rid of the container (garbage, recycling, etc.) and save the leftovers in other packaging/wrapping? Yes it goes in a different
container

Today in History:

Arts/Entertainment: 1968 Beatles' "Beatles-White Album," goes #1 and stays #1 for 9 weeks
Birthday: 1934 Dame Maggie Smith, English actor
Science: 2010 In Heuneburg, Germany, scientists discover a late Bronze Age grave of a Celtic princess, containing amber, gold, bronze and coal
Sports: 1990 Blockbuster Bowl 1: Florida State beats Penn State, 24-17
Technology: 1904 1st daily wireless weather forecasts published (London)
World: 2012 At 115 years old and 266 days, Jiroemon Kimura of Japan becomes the world's oldest living person

Today’s Word:
sesquipedalian
Pronunciation: (ses-kwi-pi-DAYL-yuhn)
Meaning: adjective:
1. Polysyllabic.
2. Relating to or using long words.
3. Long-winded.
Etymology: From Latin sesqui- (one and a half) + ped- (foot).
First recorded use: 1615.

Today is:

Card Playing Day
National Chocolate Candy Day
Pledge of Allegiance Day

Quote of the Day:
"There's a difference between solitude and loneliness." ~ Dame Maggie Smith ~

Thanx everyone! And have a good day!

Thank you PatsCats

Old 12-28-2016, 05:42 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
[quote=PatsCats;46637716]Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

What do you like to do when the weather is nice outside? I like to be outside...unless it is torrid, which is rare here. Once the early a.m. is decently warm I start getting up at 5 a.m. And if I am not outside, I open all the doors and windows as a I have some nice views and it feels closer to actually being outside.

What do you like to do when the weather is cold outside? Stay inside.

Does it snow where you live? If it doesn't, have you ever experienced snow elsewhere? If you've ever experienced snow, what do you think of it? This or this

No snow where I live. But my first 22 years were spent in western and central New York state, lots of snow and cold. The next forty some were in NYC...winters were very iffy. In 1960, my first winter there, a blizzard was so bad that there was no public transportation, the sidewalks were thigh to hip deep in snow and you had to walk in the road, so I walked forty blocks to work and back. That was the worst, just like upstate!

Once I moved to NYC my tolerance for snow and cold plummeted. Now I am a total whining sissy if it is in the low 50sF. I started this with a woman who stopped to say hello to me this morning, and I realized from the look on her face that she clearly thought I had more than one screw loose.

Bonus Question(s):

Do you dress in layers to accomodate changing temperatures both indoors and outdoors? Or do you simply dress for the weather and take your chances?

You pretty much have to dress in layers here at this time of year because it is cold in the mornings, but can be springlike for three hours around midday and then quickly get colder again....and there is the wind from the sea.

I keep a long sleeve flannel shirt in the trunk of my car. And this time of year I throw a loose sweatshirt in there as well.

Just For Fun:

If you purchase pre-made foods in plastic containers, such as cole slaw, potato salad, etc., do you keep the plastic container for re-use to store leftovers? Or do you get rid of the container (garbage, recycling, etc.) and save the leftovers in other packaging/wrapping?

I go to a place that sells homemade take-out, and I save the containers...actually I save them to an embarrassing extent until sanity reasserts itself and I take some to recycling.

Today in History:

Arts/Entertainment: 1968 Beatles' "Beatles-White Album," goes #1 and stays #1 for 9 weeks
Birthday: 1934 Dame Maggie Smith, English actor
Science: 2010 In Heuneburg, Germany, scientists discover a late Bronze Age grave of a Celtic princess, containing amber, gold, bronze and coal Fascinating! Had never read or heard of this place. This is the wiki link to an article about the entire site.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuneburg

Sports: 1990 Blockbuster Bowl 1: Florida State beats Penn State, 24-17
Technology: 1904 1st daily wireless weather forecasts published (London)
World: 2012 At 115 years old and 266 days, Jiroemon Kimura of Japan becomes the world's oldest living person

Today’s Word:
sesquipedalian
1. Polysyllabic.
3. Long-winded.

Today is:

Card Playing Day
Pledge of Allegiance Day

Quote of the Day:

Igual!

Old 12-28-2016, 05:48 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
When it's cold outside I like to snuggle with a blanket in front of the wood burning stove, with a word search magazine.
I'm in AZ but back home it snowed in the winter. So pretty!
I do keep a jacket in my car, in fact I keep a back pack with an extra change of clothes, ya never know....
Happy Wednesday!

Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,848 times
Mornin' all! Mornin' to you!

The weather in "Da Region" is a roller coaster this week; first mild, then freezing! Hard to know how to dress! Yesterday it was in the 40s, today in the 30s, and tomorrow we're to have 8 to 12" of snow.

Today's Question(s):

What do you like to do when the weather is nice outside? Kayak, mow the fields, sit on the porch and read, drive through the hills.

What do you like to do when the weather is cold outside? Bake, read

Does it snow where you live? If it doesn't, have you ever experienced snow elsewhere? If you've ever experienced snow, what do you think of it? This or this See above, storm warnings are out for tomorrow through Friday morning. What do I think of snow? I love how it blankets the trees, every little branch. I love how it sparkles in the sun and on moonlit nights. The older I get though, the more I dislike the cold.

Bonus Question(s):

Do you dress in layers to accommodate changing temperatures both indoors and outdoors? Or do you simply dress for the weather and take your chances? I dress in layers in the spring and fall, but in the winter I just put on my boots, winter coat, scarf, mittens....

Do you keep a sweater or jacket in your car, "just in case?" Again, in the spring and fall. In the winter I carry blankets in the car.

Just For Fun:

If you purchase pre-made foods in plastic containers, such as cole slaw, potato salad, etc., do you keep the plastic container for re-use to store leftovers? Or do you get rid of the container (garbage, recycling, etc.) and save the leftovers in other packaging/wrapping? Rarely purchase pre-made foods. When I do buy something in plastic, I recycle the container. Going to the recycling center is on the list for today.

Today’s Word:
sesquipedalian
1. Polysyllabic.
3. Long-winded.

Today is:

Card Playing Day
Pledge of Allegiance Day

Quote of the Day:
I live alone and enjoy my solitude, finding loneliness more in crowds.

Thanks, PatsCats! Off to recycling and to the store to grab a few things. From the sounds of it, I won't be going anywhere tomorrow.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,855 times
Today's Question(s):

What do you like to do when the weather is nice outside?

Simply just being outside. Whether I'm doing something productive or sitting on my rear playing on my phone.

What do you like to do when the weather is cold outside?

I usually can't be outside below 70.

We get light flurries about once every four years. It snowed on Christmas Eve years ago. This year we had Christmas dinner by the pool. It's been in the 80s all week, but it could still snow this year. Here you never know.

What do I think of snow? I like it for a few hours and then I'm over it.

Bonus Question(s):

Do you dress in layers to accomodate changing temperatures both indoors and outdoors? Or do you simply dress for the weather and take your chances?

Chance it. I like to be dressed for the day and not have to change clothes or have any extra articles of clothing to keep up with.

No.

Just For Fun:

Depends on the container.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
What do you like to do when the weather is nice outside? Anything. I love being outside as long as it isn't too hot.

Does it snow where you live? If it doesn't, have you ever experienced snow elsewhere? If you've ever experienced snow, what do you think of it? It does but it hasn't done it much this year.

Do you dress in layers to accomodate changing temperatures both indoors and outdoors? Or do you simply dress for the weather and take your chances? I dress for the weather

Do you keep a sweater or jacket in your car, "just in case?" I do.

If you purchase pre-made foods in plastic containers, such as cole slaw, potato salad, etc., do you keep the plastic container for re-use to store leftovers? Or do you get rid of the container (garbage, recycling, etc.) and save the leftovers in other packaging/wrapping? I am a collector of plastic containers. Peanut butter jars are great, coffee containers are god for painting and my friend just gave me one for leftovers on Christmas…it's good one

Happy Hump Day!!!!

Old 12-28-2016, 07:45 AM

7,367 posts, read 5,481,324 times
The weather in "Da Region" is a roller coaster this week; first mild, then freezing! Hard to know how to dress! us too. Mild, rain, cold, snow. Mother Nature can't make up her mind!

Today's Question(s):

What do you like to do when the weather is nice outside? go for a walk, camp, go to outdoor markets and festivals.

What do you like to do when the weather is cold outside? nothing. I stay inside as much as possible.

Does it snow where you live? If it doesn't, have you ever experienced snow elsewhere? If you've ever experienced snow, what do you think of it? This or this yes, It snows where I live. I hate it. So far it hasn't been too bad but we have 3-4 months of winter yet to go

Bonus Question(s):

Do you dress in layers to accomodate changing temperatures both indoors and outdoors? Or do you simply dress for the weather and take your chances? I dress in layers all the time in the winter. I don't like feeling cold.

Do you keep a sweater or jacket in your car, "just in case?" in the spring when the weather can be unpredictable I will bring a jacket just in case it gets cold or rains suddenly.

Just For Fun:

If you purchase pre-made foods in plastic containers, such as cole slaw, potato salad, etc., do you keep the plastic container for re-use to store leftovers? Or do you get rid of the container (garbage, recycling, etc.) and save the leftovers in other packaging/wrapping? I used to save the containers for Re-use but I have enough now so now I throw away the pre-made food plastic containers.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:07 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,334 times
Today's Question(s):

What do you like to do when the weather is nice outside? Sit on my patio, play golf, visit a park like Valley of Fire for some hiking.

What do you like to do when the weather is cold outside? Stay inside.

Does it snow where you live? I've only ever experienced a dusting here in the Las Vegas valley but there's usually snow on the mountains ringing the valley. If it doesn't, have you ever experienced snow elsewhere? Yes -- 30+ years of Wisconsin winters.

Do you dress in layers to accomodate changing temperatures both indoors and outdoors? Mostly this. Or do you simply dress for the weather and take your chances?

Do you keep a sweater or jacket in your car, "just in case?" Nope.

If you purchase pre-made foods in plastic containers, such as cole slaw, potato salad, etc., do you keep the plastic container for re-use to store leftovers? I do.

Thanks PC and happy Wednesday everyone!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:10 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Default Last Wednesday of 2016

What do you like to do when the weather is nice outside? Walk for an hour at the park. Did it yesterday and in that it will be 80 degrees today, we will do it again. Love it!

What do you like to do when the weather is cold outside? Hibernate

[b]Does it snow where you live? If it doesn't, have you ever experienced snow elsewhere? If you've ever experienced snow, what do you think of it? It has snowed occasionally here, and when I was in WA it happened once or twice a year. Don't care for it unless I'm at a ski resort. Sort of a pain.

Bonus Question(s):

Do you dress in layers to accomodate changing temperatures both indoors and outdoors? Or do you simply dress for the weather and take your chances? I layer at work where our temps change thru the day.

Do you keep a sweater or jacket in your car, "just in case?" Yes

Just For Fun:

If you purchase pre-made foods in plastic containers, such as cole slaw, potato salad, etc., do you keep the plastic container for re-use to store leftovers? Or do you get rid of the container (garbage, recycling, etc.) and save the leftovers in other packaging/wrapping? I save the packaging. Sometimes, like heavy Costco plastic or tin pans, I keep to reuse later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics