Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:48 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,200 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Hope everything is going well for you so far. Time for some questions to entertain everyone for a few moments.

Today's Question(s):
Have you, or has anyone you know, had a brush with fame? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them?

Did you approach them for their autograph, were you too shy, or did you just decide to leave them alone?

Bonus Question(s):
Do all the pieces of furniture in your living room match?
Is your livingroom color-coordinated?
Is your bedroom color-coordinated?
Do you have a matching set of dishes?
Do you have a matching set of silverware?

Just For Fun:
With all the electronic devices around, and most of them displaying the time, do you own/use a wristwatch?

Do you operate on a set schedule, does your schedule change, or do you make your own schedule?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1985 "We are the World" is recorded by Pop stars in Los Angeles
Birthday: 1759 Robert Burns, Scottish poet (d. July 21, 1796)
Science: 1992 Hubble space telescope optics finds NGC3862/3C264 http://sci.esa.int/hubble/39823-high-energy-jet-
in-galaxy-ngc-3862/
Sports: 1998 Superbowl XXXII: Denver Broncos beat Green Bay Packers 31-24

Today’s Word:
ineffable
Pronunciation: (in-EF-uh-buhl)
Meaning: :adjective:
1. Incapable of being expressed: indescribable.
2. Not to be expressed: taboo.
Etymology: From Latin in- (not) + effari (to speak out), from ex- (out) + Latin fari (to speak). Ultimately from the Indo-
European root bha- (to speak), which also gave us fable, fairy, fate, fame, blame, confess, and infant (literally, one
unable to speak), apophasis, and confabulate.
Earliest documented use: 1450.

Today is:
A Room Of One's Own Day
Burns Night
Irish Coffee Day
Opposite Day

Quote of the Day:
"There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing." ~ Robert Burns ~
Thanx everyone! And have a good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 02:11 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you, or has anyone you know, had a brush with fame? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them?
I talked to Joan Crawford on the telephone once. She was very gracious and had the most lovely voice. I've also met Luciano Pavarotti, Paul Simon, Tom Brokaw and Merv Griffin. I was at an art gallery opening once where Jack Nicholson was present with his then girlfriend, Anjelica Huston. No one paid any attention to her because she hadn't made Prizzi's Honor and wasn't famous yet.

Did you approach them for their autograph, were you too shy, or did you just decide to leave them alone?
I never ask for autographs. I'm too shy and also fearful of rejection.

Bonus Question(s):
No, except a pair of end tables and lamps.

Somewhat. It's a neutral palette, mostly off-white, beige and light golden brown.
Somewhat. The sheets and duvet are both light blue, and the pictures on the wall also have light blue in them.
Yes, three sets, actually (although some are vintage and are missing pieces).

Same as above.

Just For Fun:
With all the electronic devices around, and most of them displaying the time, do you own/use a wristwatch?
I own several but don't wear them any more. Ever since I broke my left wrist (in 2013), they don't feel comfortable.

Do you operate on a set schedule, does your schedule change, or do you make your own schedule?
Mr. Bay and I are retired and make our own schedule, which is that of two dedicated night owls. We seldom go to sleep before 3 am or get up before 11.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 01-25-2017, 04:08 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Have you, or has anyone you know, had a brush with fame? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them?several, yes. A favorite was being in the buffet line with warren zevon in Pittsburgh.

Did you approach them for their autograph, were you too shy, or did you just decide to leave them alone?we made chit chat and I didn't ask for his autograph - he was chill and fun

Do all the pieces of furniture in your living room match?no
Is your livingroom color-coordinated?no
Is your bedroom color-coordinated?no
Do you have a matching set of dishes?have but also mixed
Do you have a matching set of silverware?have but also mixed

Just For Fun:
With all the electronic devices around, and most of them displaying the time, do you own/use a wristwatch?yes I have my sisters watch that she always wore.

Do you operate on a set schedule, does your schedule change, or do you make your own schedule?my work schedule is set

Today is:
A Room Of One's Own Daywonderful - ahhhhhh
Burns Night
Irish Coffee Day
Opposite Day

Quote of the Day:
Thanx everyone! And have a good day! [/quote]thanks pats - you too!

Old 01-25-2017, 04:44 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,400 times
Today's Question(s):
Have you, or has anyone you know, had a brush with fame? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? Met musicians after shows.

Did you approach them for their autograph, were you too shy, or did you just decide to leave them alone? Have autographs.

Bonus Question(s):
Do all the pieces of furniture in your living room match? No, it's a mish mash.
Is your livingroom color-coordinated? Somewhat
Is your bedroom color-coordinated? Somewhat
Do you have a matching set of dishes? Do
Do you have a matching set of silverware? Do, with a few odd pieces

Just For Fun:
With all the electronic devices around, and most of them displaying the time, do you own/use a wristwatch? Don't anymore.

Do you operate on a set schedule, does your schedule change, or do you make your own schedule? Mostly a set schedule during the school year and my own during the summer.

Today’s Word:
ineffable
Etymology: From Latin in- (not) + effari (to speak out), from ex- (out) + Latin fari (to speak). Ultimately from the Indo-
European root bha- (to speak), which also gave us fable, fairy, fate, fame, blame, confess, and infant (literally, one

Today is:
A Room Of One's Own Day
Burns Night
Irish Coffee Day
Opposite Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanks! Busy day, must get going!

Old 01-25-2017, 04:54 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Today's Question(s):
- Various people from the sports and music industry from events I attended.

No one famous or very well known to everyone stick out as being a "wow, I just met.." experience. Hockey great Jaromir Jagr, still going strong at soon to be 45 years old, was a good experience as I met him when he played for the Washington Capitals. It was a promotion for season ticket holders. I have a picture of us shaking hands.

I met former goaltender of the Quebec Nordiques (at that time) Dan Bouchard while in line to use the rest room. He was a healthy scratch that night and it was toward the end of his career. Nice guy. He struck up a conversation with me as I did not recognize him. Hard to recognize any NHL goaltender due to their mask.

Then there was Muhammad Ali. Posted the story before. I was not impressed.

Did you approach them for their autograph, were you too shy, or did you just decide to leave them alone? - The Ali incident was strange to say the least. I happened to be at the arena where he was scheduled to fight in a couple of days, the Capital Center in Landover, MD. It was one of the two times he fought there which if memory serves me was in 1976. I went to buy hockey tickets and there he was, looking angry and trash talking into a camera. Camera went off and it was like nothing happened. I approached him. He did shake my hand and gave me an autograph but I didn't get the impression he was a friendly person at all. Snickered and seem somewhat bothered I approached him even though he was just standing there with his security team waiting for his ride after the promotion. I do not recall him saying anything to me.

Bonus Question(s):

As mentioned before I live an a small studio apartment.

I basically use 3 plates (different sizes), one fork, one spoon (which probably should be replaced soon), and 3 knifes, two are different types.

About 10 years ago an ex coworker gave me a silverware set which has been stored in a box ever since I pulled out one knife, one fork, and one spoon 10 years ago. Will have to dig it up to get another spoon soon...

I only use two glasses, one smaller than the other.

Just For Fun:
- Yes I do.

I've never owned a smartphone and have not used a cell phone in almost 3 years.

I work full time so I have a somewhat set schedule.

I work rotating Saturdays and off every Sunday. Hours during the week will vary soon but not by much. Just a random middle of the week day off when my Saturday comes up and a start time between 8-9:30 AM. Right now it's 9:30 but that will change soon, perhaps next week.

Thanks, PatsCats.
Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Mornin' all!

Hope everything is going well for you so far. Time for some questions to entertain everyone for a few moments.

Today's Question(s):
Have you, or has anyone you know, had a brush with fame? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? I had the privilege to meet Luciano Pavarotti with my choir when I started Gymnasium/Academic Secondary School . We were performing at cathedrals throughout Germany and Austria

Did you approach them for their autograph, were you too shy, or did you just decide to leave them alone? We were told we have a special visitor listening to us and perform one Christmas song with us. We were so excited unfortunately we could not scream and jump out of joy in the cathedral. He sang with us "In Dulci Jubilo" and I remember I had tears of happiness in my eyes and that was the moment he became my favorite singer and his music lives on in my home

Bonus Question(s):
Do all the pieces of furniture in your living room match? sofas match but chair blends in with a different pattern and tables have the color white while side tables are darker wood
Is your livingroom color-coordinated? a bit
Is your bedroom color-coordinated? It all has oak color furniture and the rest is decorated warmly accordingly
Do you have a matching set of dishes? Yes I have a few matching set of dishes
Do you have a matching set of silverware? Yes

Just For Fun:
With all the electronic devices around, and most of them displaying the time, do you own/use a wristwatch? I do have a wristwatch I wear when going out

Do you operate on a set schedule, does your schedule change, or do you make your own schedule?I have a set routine.....but can be flexible if I want to....

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1985 "We are the World" is recorded by Pop stars in Los Angeles
Science: 1992 Hubble space telescope optics finds NGC3862/3C264 ESA Science & Technology: High Energy Jet in Galaxy NGC 3862
in-galaxy-ngc-3862/

Today’s Word:
ineffable

Today is:
A Room Of One's Own Day
Burns Night
Irish Coffee Day
Opposite Day

Quote of the Day:

Thank you PatCats for the questions and the wonderful trip down memory lane

Old 01-25-2017, 06:35 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Default Huuuuummmmmppppp Day

Today's Question(s):

Have you, or has anyone you know, had a brush with fame? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? I met Sly Stalone's mother, who was sitting on a bench waiting on a cab, at Union Station in Washington, D.C. about 25 years ago. We had a nice chat. She was quite, uh, colorful but very sweet.

I had Donald Trump like one of my tweets to him.

Did you approach them for their autograph, were you too shy, or did you just decide to leave them alone? Ms. Stalone and I had a nice chat.

Bonus Question(s):

Do all the pieces of furniture in your living room match? Leather love seat/sofa match. Rest is dark wood, so yes.
Is your livingroom color-coordinated? sort of
Is your bedroom color-coordinated? sort of
Do you have a matching set of dishes? Yes
Do you have a matching set of silverware? Yes

Just For Fun:
With all the electronic devices around, and most of them displaying the time, do you own/use a wristwatch? Yes, several. True luxury is not having to wear one....

Do you operate on a set schedule, does your schedule change, or do you make your own schedule? Regimented.

Today in History:
Science: 1992 Hubble space telescope optics finds NGC3862/3C264 http://sci.esa.int/hubble/39823-high-energy-jet-
in-galaxy-ngc-3862/

Today’s Word:
ineffable

Today is:
A Room Of One's Own Day
Burns Night
Irish Coffee Day
Opposite Day

Quote of the Day:
Thanx everyone! And have a good day! [/quote]

Old 01-25-2017, 06:43 AM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times

Today's Question(s):
Have you, or has anyone you know, had a brush with fame? If so, who did you see, and where did you see them? Weird Al Yankovich, we walked past him and his entourage at DisneyWorld. Saw Kid Rock in a store, he was nice. Saw Wilt Chamberlain on a beach, a kid asked him for his autograph and he said no. Met Blue Man Group after their show once.

Did you approach them for their autograph, were you too shy, or did you just decide to leave them alone? No, too shy.

Bonus Question(s):
Do all the pieces of furniture in your living room match? yes
Is your livingroom color-coordinated? sort of
Is your bedroom color-coordinated? yes
Do you have a matching set of dishes? yes
Do you have a matching set of silverware? yes

Just For Fun:
With all the electronic devices around, and most of them displaying the time, do you own/use a wristwatch? I have some but don't wear them.

Do you operate on a set schedule, does your schedule change, or do you make your own schedule? I don't have a set schedule, everyday is a bit different.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:58 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,431,722 times

Today's Question(s):

The guy from Jaws. Roy Scheider (I think is his last name). My family was visiting the Queen Mary in Long Beach back in the '90s and he was there filming a movie.

Oh, and Danica McKeller who played Winnie on the Wonder Years. My sister's drill team was performing in a parade in downtown Houston and she was in a a nearby parking lot with her sister. Yes, I did get her autograph.

I think those were the only two I've seen in the wild. Others I've met at events when I cared about that sort of thing. And in plays if that counts.

Bonus Question(s):

No.

Pretty much.

Pretty much, but I'm having a huge difficult time finding new bedding that will tie my walls and chair together. This has been going on a long time. I give up for a while, then I get back on it, then give up, and so on.

Yes.

Yes.

Just For Fun:

Yes, I've always loved watches for some reason. Since last spring I've inadvertently started a Swatch Watch collection. I had them when I was little and got on a sudden whim to buy one. One led to another. My most recent was a Christmas gift. I'm always wearing one of my Swatches.

I have somewhat of an obsessive compulsive personality. Some things I have to do at a certain time whether it's necessary or not. I feel anxious otherwise.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:08 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Have you, or has anyone you know, had a brush with fame? No If so, who did you see, and where did you see them?

Bonus Question(s):
Do all the pieces of furniture in your living room match? Not at all.
Is your livingroom color-coordinated? yes
Is your bedroom color-coordinated? Yes
Do you have a matching set of dishes? Yes, but different colors of Fiesta Ware

Just For Fun:
I have some, don't wear them. My brother is obsessed with them, has a nice collection.

Mostly just the first couple hours after I wake up do the some things, like be on CD, M-Th work. Days off there is not schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics