Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:56 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times

Advertisements

January's almost over. New year's resolutions left to break = zero. Now let's have fun with . . .

Today's Educational Questions:
Did you use Cliff Notes or other study short cuts in school? No I did not

Confession time. Did you ever cheat or see cheating on a test or assignment, and if so, how? No

An unfair thing a teacher did or said: Don't really recall

One of the best things a teacher did or said: Well done class

Bonus Hygiene Section:
What's the longest time you've gone without a shower or bath? maybe 2 days

Have you had to clean up - yourself, another person or a pet - after getting into mud, skunk spray or other major mess, and if so, what? sure when kids were small and they had a poop or vomiting accident

Foodie Questions:
They make so many kinds of M&Ms. Partial list here ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%26M's#Varieties
What have you tried, liked, or would you pass on:
-Plain? Like them
-Peanut? Like them
-Peanut butter?
-Almond?
-Pretzel?
-Malt?
-Mint?
-Crispy (rice)?
-Dark chocolate?
-Birthday cake?
-Others?
-Or one you wish they'd come out with? coffee flavor

Just for fun:
If you were a dog or cat, what would you spend the day doing? If I would be a dog I would wake up my owner to take me for a long walk. Later resting,napping,eating,sit by my owners feet and dreaming about chasing rabbits. Maybe look out of the window and watch cats and bark at a postman and go for another long evening walk

First Published on This Day:
1850 1st German language daily newspaper in US published in New York City

Top Music Hits This Day:
1946 Vaughn Monroe - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
1959 Platters - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
1967 Monkees - I'm A Believer
1968 John Fred and His Playboy Band - Judy in Disguise With Glasses
1971 Tony Orlando and Dawn - Knock Three Times
1977 Rose Royce - Car Wash
1983 Men at Work - Down Under
1988 INXS - Need You Tonight

Today's Quote:
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
~ Charles Schulz, American cartoonist

Today’s Word:
natch [nach] adverb
Slang: short for naturally; meaning "of course"
ex. When you're in a hurry, natch, the phone rings, a pot on the stove overflows, or
one of the kids says he needs a science project to take to school in twenty minutes.

Today Includes:
Peanut Brittle Day
Pistachio Day

This Week Includes:
Clean Out Your Inbox Week
Hoof-Care Week, check your hooves or your paws ---vv

Today's Stately Picture:
Rhode Island. Red Fox at Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge.

J&K Hollingsworth, US Fish and Wildlife Service, government photo in the public domain
(Took two people to take this pic. )

Have a foxy Thursday!

Thank you bjh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 06:18 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Default Thursday. One more gittup

[/u][/b]Did you use Cliff Notes or other study short cuts in school? No

Confession time. Did you ever cheat or see cheating on a test or assignment, and if so, how? Never did it, frequently saw it.

An unfair thing a teacher did or said: Paddled me for not running around track. I walked instead. It was 100 in Texas. My mother came to the school and blasted her out in front of class. Not pretty.

One of the best things a teacher did or said: Nothing. I was pretty invisible.

Bonus Hygiene Section:
What's the longest time you've gone without a shower or bath? four days. Rafting trip in New Mexico.

Have you had to clean up - yourself, another person or a pet - after getting into mud, skunk spray or other major mess, and if so, what? I have a Cavalier King Charles spaniel, he is always getting into something.

Foodie Questions:
They make so many kinds of M&Ms. Partial list here ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%26M's#Varieties
-Plain? Yes
-Peanut? Yes
-Peanut butter? No
-Almond? No
-Pretzel? Yes
-Malt? No
-Mint? No
-Crispy (rice)? Yes
-Dark chocolate? Yes
-Birthday cake? No
-Others?
-Or one you wish they'd come out with? All red ones.

Just for fun:
If you were a dog or cat, what would you spend the day doing? Sleeping!

Top Music Hits This Day:
1988 INXS - Need You Tonight

Today's Quote:
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Today’s Word:
natch [nach] adverb
Slang: short for naturally; meaning "of course"
ex. When you're in a hurry, natch, the phone rings, a pot on the stove overflows, or
one of the kids says he needs a science project to take to school in twenty minutes.

Today Includes:
Peanut Brittle Day
Pistachio Day

This Week Includes:

Today's Stately Picture:

J&K Hollingsworth, US Fish and Wildlife Service, government photo in the public domain
(Took two people to take this pic. )

Have a foxy Thursday! [/quote]

Old 01-26-2017, 06:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Did you use Cliff Notes or other study short cuts in school?

Only for Shakespeare.

Confession time. Did you ever cheat or see cheating on a test or assignment, and if so, how?

You can't see cheating unless you are looking at someone else's paper during a test.

An unfair thing a teacher did or said:

My fifth grade teacher was a nasty bully. He singled out one really nice shy kid in class and kept needling him. By the time the term ended the kid was stuttering.

One of the best things a teacher did or said:

Two of my high school teachers took me and a classmate to see the colleges we applied to during a class trip to Washington DC while the rest of the seniors were sightseeing. I will always remember it.

Bonus Hygiene Section:
What's the longest time you've gone without a shower or bath?

Probably one of the times when I was in the hospital. How long, I can't recall but I'd say at least 5 days.

Have you had to clean up - yourself, another person or a pet - after getting into mud, skunk spray or other major mess, and if so, what?

Foodie Questions:
-Plain?
-Peanut?
-Peanut butter?
-Almond?
-Pretzel?
-Malt?
-Mint?
-Crispy (rice)?
-Dark chocolate?
-Birthday cake?
-Others?
-Or one you wish they'd come out with?

M&Ms are terrible these days. They are so small that there is more crackle than chocolate. I pass.

Just for fun:
If you were a dog or cat, what would you spend the day doing?
Exploring.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times

Not a lot.

Confession time. Did you ever cheat or see cheating on a test or assignment, and if so, how?

The boy sitting behind me got caught cheating off my paper. Probably better off for him that he got caught than turning in what I had written.

Made me spit out my gum.

Not sure.

Bonus Hygiene Section:

Never more than 24 hours. I love cleanliness too much to skip.

Have you had to clean up - yourself, another person or a pet - after getting into mud, skunk spray or other major mess, and if so, what?

Messes happen.

Foodie Questions:
-Plain? Tried
-Peanut? Tried
-Peanut butter? Tried
-Almond? Tried
-Pretzel? Tried
-Malt?
-Mint?
-Crispy (rice)? Tried
-Dark chocolate? Tried
-Birthday cake?
-Others?

Liked what I tried. Not interested in new flavors. I don't need any more M&M's.

Just for fun:

If I were a cat I'd love to climb anything tall that I could get my claws into. That seems fun.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:42 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,482,511 times
January's almost over. New year's resolutions left to break = zero. Now let's have fun with . . .

Did you use Cliff Notes or other study short cuts in school? Yes

Confession time. Did you ever cheat or see cheating on a test or assignment, and if so, how? I saw other students looking at the smart students papers all the time.

One of the best things a teacher did or said: I'm sure there was something, I can't remember right now.

[b]
Bonus Hygiene Section:
What's the longest time you've gone without a shower or bath? Maybe a few days when I was sick.

Have you had to clean up - yourself, another person or a pet - after getting into mud, skunk spray or other major mess, and if so, what? My kids, many times when they were little. Mud, sand, other stuff .

Foodie Questions:
-Plain?
-Peanut?
-Peanut butter?
-Almond? Pass
-Pretzel?
-Malt?
-Mint?
-Crispy (rice)?
-Dark chocolate?
-Birthday cake?
-Others?
-Or one you wish they'd come out with? Caramel

Just for fun:
If you were a dog or cat, what would you spend the day doing? Sleeping or doing nothing in the house

Old 01-26-2017, 07:30 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Did you use Cliff Notes or other study short cuts in school? No

Confession time. Did you ever cheat or see cheating on a test or assignment, and if so, how? No

One of the best things a teacher did or said:My K teacher got a bee of my dress and petticoat

Bonus Hygiene Section:
What's the longest time you've gone without a shower or bath? A few days

Have you had to clean up - yourself, another person or a pet - after getting into mud, skunk spray or other major mess, and if so, what? Yes, pet...skunk.

Foodie Questions:
-Plain?
-Peanut?
-Peanut butter?
-Almond?
-Pretzel?
-Malt?
-Mint?
-Crispy (rice)?
-Dark chocolate?
-Birthday cake?
-Others?

Just for fun:
If you were a dog or cat, what would you spend the day doing? Chewing everything I could get my teeth into because, no one interacts with me (personal thing going on with a dog I know)

Old 01-26-2017, 08:25 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Did you use Cliff Notes or other study short cuts in school? I don't think those things were around until I entered college but I never used them there either.

Confession time. Did you ever cheat or see cheating on a test or assignment, and if so, how? High school is but a very distant memory but I do recall a time in college when a schoolmate's older sibling had given him a copy of an old test from a professor who was going to give us a test in a few days. We simply planned to use it as a study guide but, as it turned out, it was the exact test the prof gave us.

An unfair thing a teacher did or said: Coach Talent busted everyone in HS PE class with a large wooden paddle when that crazy McGuire did something wrong. Ouch!

One of the best things a teacher did or said: About 30 years after high school my former HS English teacher in eastern Texas found me in New Mexico and called me to tell me we were cousins. It was something neither of us knew during our school days in the 1960s. Someone told me she asked about me just before she died.

Very oddly, this old west Texas farm house that is across the entire state of Texas (600 miles) from where that teacher and I grew up was very likely built by one of her relatives. I've always said, had my wife been raised in eastern Texas, my children would have had webbed toes.

Texas may be large but it sometimes contains a small world.

Bonus Hygiene Section:
What's the longest time you've gone without a shower or bath? Until I built a camp shower that used sun-heated water, I'm sure that would be 10 summer days in the Chihuahuan desert of New Mexico. We worked 10 days in the field and 10 days in the lab. You learned never to stand downwind from anyone.

Have you had to clean up - yourself, another person or a pet - after getting into mud, skunk spray or other major mess, and if so, what? 10 days in the desert definitely required a clean up.

Foodie Questions:
-Plain?
-Peanut?
-Peanut butter?
-Almond?
-Pretzel?
-Malt?
-Mint?
-Crispy (rice)?
-Dark chocolate?
-Birthday cake?
-Others? I wasn't aware of half of the ones you've listed.

Just for fun:
If you were a dog or cat, what would you spend the day doing? Whether feline or canine, I'd spend the day lying in the sun.

Thanks BJH. Good questions.

PS: BJH. Somehow I missed the pic of the red fox. Very nice!

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 01-26-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 08:27 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Did you use Cliff Notes or other study short cuts in school? Nope. I'd never heard of them until I came to the US.

Confession time. Did you ever cheat or see cheating on a test or assignment, and if so, how? I didn't.
What's the longest time you've gone without a shower or bath? Probably 3 days when I was in college when we hiked in a pretty inaccessible part of New Zealand.

Have you had to clean up - yourself, another person or a pet - after getting into mud, skunk spray or other major mess, and if so, what? Nothing in particular stands out.
They make so many kinds of M&Ms. What have you tried, liked, or would you pass on:
-Plain?
-Peanut?
-Peanut butter?
-Almond?
-Pretzel?
-Malt?
-Mint?
-Crispy (rice)?
-Dark chocolate?
-Birthday cake?
- Others? I've only had plain and peanut. Don't much care about trying the others.
If you were a dog or cat, what would you spend the day doing? What cats do best -- eat, sleep, look cute, purr, sleep, eat, look cute, purr, eat...

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:51 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Just for fun:
If you were a dog or cat, what would you spend the day doing? Licking my balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Just for fun:
If you were a dog or cat, what would you spend the day doing? id be a cat and would enjoy the sunniest spot on the carpet near the window. I'd just move with it as the day progressed
Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55psWVYSbrI

Old 01-26-2017, 08:52 AM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
Once.

Neither.

I don't think it was unfair, but another student would always fall asleep in class. The teacher placed a piece of chalk in his open mouth. Some of my toughest teachers turned out to be my best ones. I did have an Art teacher who reduced the weight of a written final because so many people bombed. I was frustrated because I aced it.

I had a math/computer teacher and physics teacher in HS that were great. It wasn't that they left me with any profound spoken nuggets, but they just loved to learn and teach and they instilled that. They also believed in working hard. You earned your grades in their class.

Bonus Hygiene Section:
When doing a 70-mile back-pack trip in Boy Scouts, about 8-days. We did dip ourselves in a lake once during the trip. Other than that, just a day.

I have been covered with mud from various activities. I have had to clean up baby, poopy explosions. Never have had to deal with animals getting sprayed by a skunk.

Foodie Questions:
-Plain?
-Peanut?
-Peanut butter?
-Almond?
-Pretzel?
-Malt?
-Mint?
-Crispy (rice)?
-Dark chocolate?
-Birthday cake?
-Others?

Just for fun:
A good day would be frolicking in the autumn mist. Squirrel.

Top Music Hits This Day:
1988 INXS - Need You Tonight (just heard that on the radio the other day).

Today's Quote:

This Week Includes:
Mine are good. :O)

Today's Stately Picture:

Have a foxy Thursday!
Or be the Cats Meow.
cd :O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics