Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, March 12, 2017. It’s the first day of Daylight Savings Time in most of the U.S. For those who are affected, did you remember to turn your clocks ahead one hour?

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Pisces. Some famous people who share your birthday are playwright Edward Albee; astronaut Wally Schirra; beat writer Jack Kerouac; singer-actress Liza Minnelli, jazz singer Al Jarreau; child stars William “Buckwheat” Thomas and Jon Provost; rocker Marlon Jackson; baseball player Darryl Strawberry and writer Dave Eggers.

Today’s Questions:
Today is the anniversary of the invention of the telephone. How many telephones do you own, including ones you no longer use? What type are they (flip phone, smart phone, wired, wall phone, rotary dial, touch tone, desk phone, answering machine, etc.)?

Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks: People tend to assume that I am _____________, but the truth is, I’m really ________.

You might be surprised to know that I __________.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is __________.

Just for Fun:
Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I put some eye makeup remover on a cotton ball and went to swipe it across my eyelids – only to discover (too late) that I was still wearing my glasses! What oopsie or other odd thing happened to you or someone you know recently?

Today in History
1365 - University of Vienna founded.
1455 - First record of Johann Gutenberg's Bible: Letter dated this day by Enea Silvio Piccolomini refers to the bible printed a year before.
1609 - Bermuda becomes an English colony.
1642 -Abel Tasman is 1st European in New Zealand.
1664 – First naturalization act in American colonies.
1664 - New Jersey becomes an English colony.
1755 -First steam engine in America installed to pump water from a mine.
1773 - Jeanne Baptiste Pointe de Sable founds settlement now known as Chicago.
1794 - Theatre Royal in London's Dury Lane opens after being rebuilt.
1799 - Austria declares war on France.
1848 - Second Republic established in France.
1849 - First gold seekers arrive in Nicaragua en route to California.
1850 - First US $20 gold piece issued.
1860 - U.S. Congress accepts Pre-emption Bill: free land in West for colonists.
1867 - Last French troops leave Mexico.
1868 - Great Britain annexes Basutoland in Africa (later renamed the Kingdom of Lesotho).
1884 - Mississippi establishes first U.S. state college for women.
1888 - 2nd day of the Great blizzard of '88 in the U.S. Northeast (400 die).
1889 - Battle at Metema (Gallabad): Ethiopian Emperor Yohannes IV, defeated.
1894 - Coca-Cola is sold in bottles for the first time in Vicksburg, Mississippi.
1901 - Ground is broken for Boston's 1st AL ballpark (Huntington Ave Grounds).
1904 - 1st main line electric train in UK (Liverpool to Southport).
1912 - Girl Scouts are founded by Juliette Gordon Low.
1928 – St. Francis Dam fails in Southern California, killing over 600.
1930 – Mohandas Gandhi begins a march to protest British salt tax.
1933 – U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt gives his first “fireside chat” on radio.
1938 – Nazi Germany invades Austria (the Anschluss).
1942 - Baseball great Joe Di Maggio agrees to a new contract with the NY Yankees, and gets a $6,250 raise. My, how times have changed!
1945 – Teen diarist Anne Frank dies of typhus at age 15 in a Nazi concentration camp.
1947 – U.S. President Harry Truman introduces the Truman Doctrine, pledging American support for all democratic nations fighting communism.
1951 – Communist troops driven out of Seoul.
1955 – Charlie “Bird” Parker, jazz legend, dies at 35.
1969 – Beatle Paul McCartney marries Linda Eastman in London, breaking hearts all over the world.
1975 – Viet Cong win a decisive victory at Ban Mi Thuot in South Vietnam.
1977 – Egyptian President Anwar Sadat vows to regain Arab territory from Israel.
1984 – National Union of Mine Workers in Britain begins 51-week strike.
1992 – Actor Warren Beatty weds actress Annette Bening.
1994 – Church of England ordains its first 33 women priests.
1999 – Violinist Yehudi Menuhin dies at 82.
2003 – Kidnapped teen Elizabeth Smart found after nine months in captivity.
2011 – Fukushima nuclear reactor melts and releases radioactivity into the atmosphere one day after a devastating 9.0 Japanese quake and tsunami.

Word of the Day:
quagmire noun
1. A soft, boggy area of land that gives way underfoot. “Torrential rain turned the building site into a quagmire.”
2. An awkward, complex or hazardous situation. “A legal quagmire.”

Quote of the Day:
“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.”
- Anne Frank

Today is:
Check Your Batteries Day
Girl Scout Sunday
National Plant a Flower Day
National Alfred Hitchcock Day
Ear Muff Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 09:40 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
[quote=Bayarea4;47478805]Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, March 12, 2017. It’s the first day of Daylight Savings Time in most of the U.S. For those who are affected, did you remember to turn your clocks ahead one hour? when I was a kid

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Pisces. Some famous people who share your birthday are playwright Edward Albee; astronaut Wally Schirra; beat writer Jack Kerouac; singer-actress Liza Minnelli, jazz singer Al Jarreau; child stars William “Buckwheat” Thomas and Jon Provost; rocker Marlon Jackson; baseball player Darryl Strawberry and writer Dave Eggers.

Today’s Questions:
Today is the anniversary of the invention of the telephone. How many telephones do you own, including ones you no longer use? What type are they (flip phone, smart phone, wired, wall phone, rotary dial, touch tone, desk phone, answering machine, etc.)? just one-a cell phone

Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks: People tend to assume that I am angry, but the truth is, I’m really just employing my resting ***** face.

You might be surprised to know that I am plotting something.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is sunbathing.

Just for Fun:
Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I put some eye makeup remover on a cotton ball and went to swipe it across my eyelids – only to discover (too late) that I was still wearing my glasses! What oopsie or other odd thing happened to you or someone you know recently? I look for my glasses in my purse and forget they are on my head.

Today in History
1455 - First record of Johann Gutenberg's Bible: Letter dated this day by Enea Silvio Piccolomini refers to the bible printed a year before.
1868 - Great Britain annexes Basutoland in Africa (later renamed the Kingdom of Lesotho).
1894 - Coca-Cola is sold in bottles for the first time in Vicksburg, Mississippi.
1933 – U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt gives his first “fireside chat” on radio.
1942 - Baseball great Joe Di Maggio agrees to a new contract with the NY Yankees, and gets a $6,250 raise. My, how times have changed!
1945 – Teen diarist Anne Frank dies of typhus at age 15 in a Nazi concentration camp.
1947 – U.S. President Harry Truman introduces the Truman Doctrine, pledging American support for all democratic nations fighting communism.
1969 – Beatle Paul McCartney marries Linda Eastman in London, breaking hearts all over the world.
1977 – Egyptian President Anwar Sadat vows to regain Arab territory from Israel.
2011 – Fukushima nuclear reactor melts and releases radioactivity into the atmosphere one day after a devastating 9.0 Japanese quake and tsunami.

Word of the Day:
quagmire noun
1. A soft, boggy area of land that gives way underfoot. “Torrential rain turned the building site into a quagmire.”

Quote of the Day:
“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.”
- Anne Frank

Old 03-11-2017, 09:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, March 12, 2017. It’s the first day of Daylight Savings Time in most of the U.S. For those who are affected, did you remember to turn your clocks ahead one hour?

Today’s Questions:
Today is the anniversary of the invention of the telephone. How many telephones do you own, including ones you no longer use? What type are they (flip phone, smart phone, wired, wall phone, rotary dial, touch tone, desk phone, answering machine, etc.)?
Several of all types.
Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks: People tend to assume that I am ___awesome__________, but the truth is, I’m really _awesome_______.

You might be surprised to know that I __lied________.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is ___being lazy._______.

Just for Fun:
Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I put some eye makeup remover on a cotton ball and went to swipe it across my eyelids – only to discover (too late) that I was still wearing my glasses! What oopsie or other odd thing happened to you or someone you know recently?

Today in History

Word of the Day:
quagmire noun

Quote of the Day:
- Anne Frank

Today is:
Check Your Batteries Day
Girl Scout Sunday
National Plant a Flower Day
National Alfred Hitchcock Day
Ear Muff Day
Thanks Bay! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 03-11-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-11-2017, 10:05 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, March 12, 2017. It’s the first day of Daylight Savings Time in most of the U.S.
For those who are affected, did you remember to turn your clocks ahead one hour?
Not yet.

Today’s Questions:
Today is the anniversary of the invention of the telephone.
How many telephones do you own, including ones you no longer use?

Several, both cell and landline, explained below.

What type are they (flip phone, smart phone, wired, wall phone, rotary dial, touch tone, desk phone, answering machine, etc.)?
As mentioned before, a previous owner wired a phone jack into almost every room in this
house and each has a phone plugged in. Most are on the same line. There are two lines in the
home office. So that's a landline phone in there and the den, living room, kitchen and each
bedroom. I have every cellphone I've ever owned going back decades. Family members
have others. We have a lot of phones. Not all used.

Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks:
People tend to assume that I am _
I don't know, a piano tuner ______, but the truth is, I’m really _a toothpick carver _______.

You might be surprised to know that I _ (Y'all know me as well as a load of strangers should. ) _.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is _reading__.

Just for Fun:
I banged my knee getting into a car I'm not used to, not once, not twice, but three times this week. You'd think
I'd learn. Maybe I did or it would have been 17 times. I have a little ouchie spot on my right knee as a result.

Thx, BA4! And happy Sunday to all and to all a good night!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:30 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,848 times
Today’s Questions:

Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks: People tend to assume that I am ready to retire, but the truth is, I’m really not totally sure.

You might be surprised to know that I am happy living by myself.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is sitting in my kayak with a good book and a glass of wine.

Just for Fun:
Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I put some eye makeup remover on a cotton ball and went to swipe it across my eyelids – only to discover (too late) that I was still wearing my glasses! What oopsie or other odd thing happened to you or someone you know recently? All I can think of is that I often start out of my room at school and get part way down the hall realizing I don't know where I'm going or what I was supposed to do once I get there.

Word of the Day:
quagmire noun

Quote of the Day:
“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.” I agree!
- Anne Fran

Thanks, Bay!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:46 PM

44,354 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is the anniversary of the invention of the telephone. How many telephones do you own, including ones you no longer use? Six. What type are they (flip phone, smart phone, wired, wall phone, rotary dial, touch tone, desk phone, answering machine, etc.)? I have two portable land-line phones which I presently use at home. I also have another (non-portable) land-line phone which I no longer user unless the electricity is out. It works when the power is out. I also have an Android cell phone and two old cell phones which I no longer use and which are just small, basic phones (no Internet access or anything fancy).

Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks: People tend to assume that I have limitless energy, but the truth is, I’m really pooped!

You might be surprised to know that I love reading Mad magazine.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is curled up on the sofa, watching a movie or reading a book and enjoying a mug of hot chocolate. (I haven't done that in years, but would love to indulge like that again sometime.)

Just for Fun:
Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I put some eye makeup remover on a cotton ball and went to swipe it across my eyelids – only to discover (too late) that I was still wearing my glasses! LOL! What oopsie or other odd thing happened to you or someone you know recently? As I was getting ready to go out tonight (Saturday) and was putting mascara on, I turned my hand mirror around to use the magnifying side so I could see better, only to find out that I was already using the magnifying side. Crap, I'm getting old!

Word of the Day:
quagmire noun
I knew that.

Quote of the Day:
- Anne Frank Beautiful. That young lady was wise far beyond her years.

Today is:
Check Your Batteries Day I don't need batteries. Just fuel me up and I'm good go to!
Girl Scout Sunday Hooray for Girl Scouts!
National Plant a Flower Day If it was above freezing here, I'd do that. But the high temp today (Sat) was only 26F. Too cold for digging or planting.
National Alfred Hitchcock Day A few months ago I bought a DVD set of several Hitchcock movies. Haven't watched it yet. One of these days.....
Ear Muff Day I don't wear ear muffs. My long hair suffices to keep my ears warm most of the time. If that's not enough, I pull up the hood on my winter coat, but it would have to be probably 10F or colder for me to even wear a hoot or hat. I like cold weather!

Happy Sunday, everybody.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-11-2017 at 11:14 PM..

Old 03-11-2017, 10:46 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is the anniversary of the invention of the telephone. How many telephones do you own, including ones you no longer use? What type are they (flip phone, smart phone, wired, wall phone, rotary dial, touch tone, desk phone, answering machine, etc.)? 4 wired landlines, 1 porta-phone, 2 cell flip phones, 1 megaphone.

Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks: People tend to assume that I am weird, but the truth is, I’m really just odd.

You might be surprised to know that I am really shy.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is watching TV and/or napping.

Just for Fun:
Yesterday I turned suddenly and banged my arm on a door knob, now I have a big bruise there.

Bay

Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 PM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is the anniversary of the invention of the telephone. How many telephones do you own, including ones you no longer use? 7 What type are they (flip phone, smart phone, wired, wall phone, rotary dial, touch tone, desk phone, answering machine, etc.)? 3 cordless landline phones (on the same line), a Smartphone, a flip phone (mobile) and 2 old mobile flip phones from a previous cell phone carrier.

Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks: People tend to assume that I am retired, but the truth is, I’m really still working.

You might be surprised to know that I sometimes enjoy watching mixed martial arts matches.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is reading or watching a movie.

Just for Fun:
Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I put some eye makeup remover on a cotton ball and went to swipe it across my eyelids – only to discover (too late) that I was still wearing my glasses! What oopsie or other odd thing happened to you or someone you know recently? Only thing I can think of was forgetting to turn off the TV when I had to leave home to run an errand.

Have a fun and relaxing Sunday.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:58 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Today’s Questions:

3 (flip phone, wall/desk phone, silver model of an old rotary phone like a prop)

Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks: People tend to assume that I am
smart, but the truth is, I’m really a vessel of useless information.

You might be surprised to know that I haven't parallel parked since my road test 44 years ago.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is daydreaming.

Just for Fun:

Can't think of anything recent.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:10 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Good morning Shep and all;

Today’s Questions:

There's a base phone with answering system and two other landline phones.

I have my iPhone and I think there's still an HTC smartphone (flip type) hanging around somewhere.

Bonus Questions:
Fill in the blanks: People tend to assume that I am really good with tech items, but the truth is, I’m really glad that Mrs J is around.

You might be surprised to know that I am part German.

My favorite way to spend a lazy afternoon is to have a snooze in the chair next to where Poppy the cat is doing the same.

Just for Fun:

I was recording music clips last week for a quiz I set and forgot to switch the recorder off and uttered- 'That was a **** up'. Luckily I erased that in time!

Thanks Shep.

Oops, nearly forgot;

Like this one at the JP Morgan Library, NYC;

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics