Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 09:53 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, April 9, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aries. Famous people who share your birthday include writer Charles Baudelaire; scientist and father of the birth control pill Gregory Pincus; fashion designer Marc Jacobs; singers Paul Robeson, Carl Perkins and Jackie Evancho; American football coach Curly Lambreau; conductor Antal Dorati; actresses Leighton Meester, Elle Fanning and Kristen Stewart; actors Jean-Paul Belmondo and Dennis Quaid, and Playboy publisher Hugh Hefner, who turns (yikes!) 90.

Today’s Questions:
What are some things you would never do?

What are some things you always do?

When was the last time you tried something new?

In memory of the late, great Don Rickles, who are some of your favorite comedians (living or dead)?

Today in History
1483 - Edward V (aged 12) succeeds his father Edward IV as king of England. He is never crowned, and disappears presumed murdered, after incarceration in the Tower of London with his younger brother Richard (the "Princes in the Tower")
1682 – Robert La Salle claims lower Mississippi (modern day Louisiana) for France.
1731 - British mariner Robert Jenkins' ear is cut off by Spanish Guarde Costa in the Caribbean, later catalyst for war between Britain & Spain
1768 John Hancock refuses to allow British customs agents to board his ship, considered the first act of rebellion against British rule.
1865 - US Civil War: Confederate General Robert E. Lee and 26,765 troops surrender at Appomattox Court House to US Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant
1869 - Hudson Bay Company cedes its territory to Canada.
1872 – Samuel R. Percy patents dried milk.
1917 – Battle of Arras begins.
1927 – Anarchists Sacco and Vanzetti are given death sentences.
1928 – Mae West makes her New York debut in the play Diamond Lil.
1939 Marian Anderson sings for an audience at 75,000 at the Lincoln Memorial after the Daughters of the American Revolution refuse to grant her, as a black artist, permission to perform before an integrated audience at Constitution Hall.
1940Germany invades Denmark and Norway.
1942Battle of Bataan. U.S. and Filipino troops are overwhelmed by the Japanese.
1950Bob Hope makes his first television appearance.
1953TV Guide begins publishing; first 3-D film released, House of Wax.
1959NASA announces the first seven astronauts: Scott Carpenter, Gordon Cooper, John Glenn, Gus Grissom, Wally Schirra, Alan Shepard and Donald "Deke" Slayton.
1963Former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill becomes an honorary U.S. citizen.
1981 Irish hunger striker Bobby Sands elected to Parliament; the rules are later changed to prohibit prisoners from standing for election.
1992 - John Major elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom after his Conservative Party wins the most votes in British electoral history.
2002 – Funeral of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, consort of King George VI and mother of the present Queen.
2003 - Baghdad falls to U.S. forces, ending the invasion of Iraqi but resulting in widespread looting.
2005 – Britain’s Prince Charles marries Camilla Parker-Bowles, who takes the title Duchess of Cornwall.
2012The Lion King becomes the longest-running Broadway musical, surpassing The Phantom of the Opera.

Word of the Day:
evocative /əˈväkədiv/ adjective
bringing strong images, memories, or feelings to mind.

Quote of the Day:
“To handle language skillfully is to practice a kind of evocative sorcery.”
- Charles Baudelaire (1821-1867)

Today is:
Palm Sunday
Name Yourself Day
Winston Churchill Day

Last edited by Bayarea4; 04-08-2017 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: to get rid of extraneous bolded text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 10:00 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Hell with the rest of them, my birthday was this month!

Thank you.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, April 9, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aries. Famous people who share your birthday include writer Charles Baudelaire; scientist and father of the birth control pill Gregory Pincus; fashion designer Marc Jacobs; singers Paul Robeson, Carl Perkins and Jackie Evancho; American football coach Curly Lambreau; conductor Antal Dorati; actresses Leighton Meester, Elle Fanning and Kristen Stewart; actors Jean-Paul Belmondo and Dennis Quaid, and Playboy publisher Hugh Hefner, who turns (yikes!) 90.

Today’s Questions:
Sky dive, bungee jump from high places or be sling shot into space.
Talk too much and generally chat up anyone worth talking to.
Long, long, time ago.
In memory of the late, great Don Rickles, who are some of your favorite comedians (living or dead)?
Don, Steve Martin, Martin Short, Robin Williams, Red Skelton, Carol Burnett .....

Today in History
1483 - Edward V (aged 12) succeeds his father Edward IV as king of England. He is never crowned, and disappears presumed murdered, after incarceration in the Tower of London with his younger brother Richard (the "Princes in the Tower")
1682 – Robert La Salle claims lower Mississippi (modern day Louisiana) for France.
1731 - British mariner Robert Jenkins' ear is cut off by Spanish Guarde Costa in the Caribbean, later catalyst for war between Britain & Spain
1768 – John Hancock refuses to allow British customs agents to board his ship, considered the first act of rebellion against British rule.
1865 - US Civil War: Confederate General Robert E. Lee and 26,765 troops surrender at Appomattox Court House to US Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant
1939 – Marian Anderson sings for an audience at 75,000 at the Lincoln Memorial after the Daughters of the American Revolution refuse to grant her, as a black artist, permission to perform before an integrated audience at Constitution Hall.
1940 – Germany invades Denmark and Norway.
1942 – Battle of Bataan. U.S. and Filipino troops are overwhelmed by the Japanese.
1950 – Bob Hope makes his first television appearance.
1959 – NASA announces the first seven astronauts: Scott Carpenter, Gordon Cooper, John Glenn, Gus Grissom, Wally Schirra, Alan Shepard and Donald "Deke" Slayton.
1963 – Former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill becomes an honorary U.S. citizen.
1981 – Irish hunger striker Bobby Sands elected to Parliament; the rules are later changed to prohibit prisoners from standing for election.
1992 - John Major elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom after his Conservative Party wins the most votes in British electoral history.
2002 – Funeral of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, consort of King George VI and mother of the present Queen.
2003 - Baghdad falls to U.S. forces, ending the invasion of Iraqi but resulting in widespread looting.
2005 – Britain’s Prince Charles marries Camilla Parker-Bowles, who takes the title Duchess of Cornwall.
2012The Lion King becomes the longest-running Broadway musical, surpassing The Phantom of the Opera.

Word of the Day:
bringing strong images, memories, or feelings to mind.

Quote of the Day:

Today is:
Palm Sunday
Name Yourself Day
Winston Churchill Day

Happy Birthday Gerania!
Thanks Bay! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 04-08-2017 at 10:16 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 10:38 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Today’s Questions:
Commit crimes. Create drama. Be unkind.

Put down the toilet seat. Be useful or helpful if possible.

Today. I tried raspberry yogurt. I don't care for the seeds, but it was okay.

Stand up comedians I think are good include
Bill Engvall
Jeff Foxworthy
Ron White
Jim Gaffigan
John Pinette (R.I.P.)
Brian Regan
Kevin James
Rita Rudner
Elaine Boozler
Steven Wright

Word of the Day:
bringing strong images, memories, or feelings to mind. Good word.

Quote of the Day:

Today is:
Name Yourself Day Day would be a funny name. Day Smith. Day Jones.

Thx, BA4.

Last edited by bjh; 04-08-2017 at 10:46 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 10:40 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Questions:
What are some things you would never do?House painting,climb ladders

What are some things you always do?Walk 3 dog individually twice a day.

When was the last time you tried something new?It;s been a while

Today in History
1768 – John Hancock refuses to allow British customs agents to board his ship, considered the first act of rebellion against British rule.
1939 – Marian Anderson sings for an audience at 75,000 at the Lincoln Memorial after the Daughters of the American Revolution refuse to grant her, as a black artist, permission to perform before an integrated audience at Constitution Hall.
1940 – Germany invades Denmark and Norway.
1942 – Battle of Bataan. U.S. and Filipino troops are overwhelmed by the Japanese.
1950 – Bob Hope makes his first television appearance.
1959 – NASA announces the first seven astronauts: Scott Carpenter, Gordon Cooper, John Glenn, Gus Grissom, Wally Schirra, Alan Shepard and Donald "Deke" Slayton.
1963 – Former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill becomes an honorary U.S. citizen.
1981 – Irish hunger striker Bobby Sands elected to Parliament; the rules are later changed to prohibit prisoners from standing for election.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:55 PM

72,413 posts, read 18,200,999 times
Today’s Questions:

Never rob a bank.. never sky dive...

Go to sleep.. eat..

Go to a new restaurant

I love Lucy....

Old 04-08-2017, 11:22 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Way too much for me to process--we all have our shortcomings.

I've jumped out of an airplane. There are no perfect airplanes. That's why we invented parachutes.

I talk too much. My son points this out to me. Well, OK. If the checker's mom just died, I can't just take my bags and walk away. Who would do that? That's happened to me.

Mom lived through the Battle of Britain and dad was a fatherless boy during the great depression. You seriously learn some lessons from those people. Mr. Altman had a tattoo on his arm.

Done. I just had to purge. :::some sort of fractured smile:::

Old 04-08-2017, 11:25 PM

7,367 posts, read 5,481,324 times
Today’s Questions:
What are some things you would never do? sky dive

What are some things you always do? try to be patient

When was the last time you tried something new? tonight. A shot of Jack Daniel Apple.

In memory of the late, great Don Rickles, who are some of your favorite comedians (living or dead)? Carol Burnett. Red Skelton. Lucy.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:53 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Today’s Questions:
What are some things you would never do? Rob a bank, jump off a bridge, run for office, do drugs, eat turnips, chew tobacco, sit on a hot stove.

What are some things you always do? Help others, pay for dinner, wake up every morning.

When was the last time you tried something new? 15 minutes ago tried on a new pair of trousers I bought today. They fit.

In memory of the late, great Don Rickles, who are some of your favorite comedians (living or dead)? Red Skelton is my favorite, then there's Bob Hope, Carol Burnett, Burns & Allen, Jackie Gleason, and a whole slew of others from that era.

Today is:
Name Yourself Day. Day Light, Day Time, Day Zee, Day Dreamer, Day Break all sound good.

Bay

Old 04-09-2017, 12:23 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Good morning all from a sunny England.......

Something I would never do is jumping out of a plane, or bungee jump....... I cannot stand heights. I get scared on a thick carpet........

Something I always do is walk round the house checking things before I go to bed. Doors..... windows..... the cooker....... making sure the phone is on the hook. Other people with OCD will be nodding in agreement reading this.......

Last time I tried something new? Can't remember....... I don't do new.........

The funniest comedian I ever saw was a guy called Tommy Cooper. I wouldn't think he is known to most Americans. I saw him many times 'live' and also on the telly. He was a man who could reduce an audience to hysterics of laughter....... I know, I saw it with my own eyes.

'Live' you could see the fear in his eyes. I have literally been sat feet away from him, and could see it. The comedian's fear, 'will they laugh tonight?' Tommy died 'live' on stage during a television show. The audience thought it was part of the show, and laughed as he slowly fell down. Laughter would have been the last thing Tommy heard as he died. He was great...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yNzkMqBToc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics