U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:18 PM

10,703 posts, read 29,697,945 times

Advertisements

Its one thing to be affraid of something, for example bridges make me nervous but I can still drive across them.

Snakes on the other hand, I just can't. I can't even watch them on TV or touch a picture of them. I start to have a panic attack if I am close to one. I RARELY go in my own backyard because of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 06:48 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,213,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Claustrophobia!! This includes but NOT limited to:

There are certain rides at amusement parks I won't go on because of this. There was a ride at Disney - Mission Space - I should have known better than to get on this ride. I thought I was gonna die in there, I had to start doing my panic attack breathing exercises just to get through the ride, while tears were streaming down my face. (Meanwhile I wasn't doing my part and we crash landed into Mars )

Monalisa, that ride did me in also. As soon as that door shut I felt like I couldn't breath and I thought I would die. I did the same thing, deep breath, talk myself calm and prayed...

Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM

25,463 posts, read 11,502,816 times
I have been in the St. Louis Arch twice. And that my dear friends, is enough. The swaying didn't bother me when we arrived at the top on a slightly windy day. No, what bothered me the most was looking out of the little windows straight down. Looking out into the distance wasn't too terrifying...but......

Did have panic attacks years ago crossing bridges, of which there are many around here. Lots of rivers. Finally got over that fear. Snakes are not a problem. Have held them and helped raise a few due to one son's hobby. Spiders, no problem.

Not a phobia, but I cannot stand ticks, which are prevalent in Missouri. Also, cringe just at the thought of leeches, also in Missouri rivers and creeks. Used to go fishing a lot! Had a leech underneath a big toe and well, forget it, I'm not about to even put that here. YUKKY.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 PM

11,251 posts, read 15,734,582 times
Heights, mainly boom lifts and things like that, you couldn't drag me onto a rollercoaster, tall buildings don't bother me nor being on top of a mountian or looking off a cliff but get me in a man lift and I'm scared to death.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 PM

29,910 posts, read 7,898,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, lets hear em! What area your phobias? Include reasons too.

Mine? Fear of heights. I dont like being anything more than 15 floors above the ground, especially outside on a balcony or something. Makes me woozy and weak feeling. Im perfectly fine on standing out a mountain that is 5K feet above the city below, but anything manmade? No way, Jose!

I also have a fear of the ocean for some odd reason. I cannot stand to be in the ocean and go past my waist in the water. If I were floating out in the middle of the ocean all by myself, far from land or people, I think I would have a heart attack, seriously. Ever seen the movie "Open Water"? My worst nightmare ever! lol
lol, same thing with me, i went to the empire state building a few years ago and i had week knees and legs had a tingly sensation.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Claustrophobia!! This includes but NOT limited to:

Elevators - if the doors open and too many people are already in there I won't get in and I have also MANY times got out of an elevator when too many people cram in there.

Airplanes - hate being in there (besides the claustrophobia, I'm terrified of flying, I'm in full prayer mode, clutching my rosary and tears going down my face) ~ and I've flown HUNDREDS of times! LOL

There are certain rides at amusement parks I won't go on because of this. There was a ride at Disney - Mission Space - I should have known better than to get on this ride. I thought I was gonna die in there, I had to start doing my panic attack breathing exercises just to get through the ride, while tears were streaming down my face. (Meanwhile I wasn't doing my part and we crash landed into Mars )

And forget the St. Louis Arch, no way was I going on that thing

I can't even get my face to close to the sink when brushing my teeth - I start to feel the Claustrophobia panic.

And my other fear - being in the water - by this I mean lakes and oceans where I can't see the bottom - deathly afraid.
i'm pretty afraid of planes also, especially the take-off, i try to start a random conversation with someone to get my mind off it.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM

428 posts, read 2,146,592 times
When I was young, up through to my 20's my main phobia was dying in public. It was a privacy thing. Now, I could give a rip if John Q. Public sees me die with my boots on.

More recently, and having been through a few of them, I am now ceremonephobic. They're usually quite emotional, and I can't stand crying in front of my family, let alone a roomful of strangers.
And these days I'm phobic of having odd-numbered rep points, why, I don't know.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 PM

10,703 posts, read 29,697,945 times
Its odd but planes don't bother me, I have flown so much I actually enjoy the take off and landing.

Thats not to say I don't get nervous during turbelence but I mean the kind of turbelence where even the stewardesses belt themselves in. BUT nothing could persuade me to go into the arch at St. Louis. Absolutely NOT, I think it was over the summer that the elevator got stuck at the top.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Its odd but planes don't bother me, I have flown so much I actually enjoy the take off and landing.

Thats not to say I don't get nervous during turbelence but I mean the kind of turbelence where even the stewardesses belt themselves in. BUT nothing could persuade me to go into the arch at St. Louis. Absolutely NOT, I think it was over the summer that the elevator got stuck at the top.
i recommend you don't, went there this past July and i was very dissapointed.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 PM

10,778 posts, read 17,295,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Bridges get me too. I lives in WA for a while and had to drive over the recently replaced Tacoma Narrows bridge. Always freaked. Didn't help that I saw a special on TV about how the first one fell into the water. There was one bridge in San Diego, the Coronado Bridge, that felt like you were just going to fall into the water. Avoided that one at all costs.
The one in Maryland was Golden Gate size,strange that if Im a passanger Im alright but me behind the wheel freaks me.

On my road trip I plotted out crossing the Missisippi river.The first time I went out of my way to use a ferry to cross.But the 2nd time I went back out to Texas I used I40 which isn't that bad and my trick was to cross it a night when tired so I was kinda numb to think about it and because of less traffic.

I drove extra north to use it because I10 goes along the coast and that means more bridges.The funny thing is it takes less than a minute to go over it but it is seconds of terror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics