U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 PM

4,267 posts, read 13,231,508 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say these are "phobia-level" but I do not particularly like heights or large crowds. I'm okay with being indoors (like a tall building) but driving on a mountain and overseeing the landscape or driving the Hoover Dam makes me nervouse and light headed.

I like people watching but if I'm surrounded by hoards of people I tense up, like at a concert or something. It's no biggie if there's a distance around me, even a slight one, but if we're all jammed together like sardines (like the New York City subway), then I start to get uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 PM

4,728 posts, read 8,530,774 times
Wink Can't burn those metal grate bridges behind you!!

It looks like many of us have a dislike of bridges!

When I was in 2nd and 3rd grades, I had to walk across a metal grate bridge over a large creek (probably about 75 yds.). There was a pedestrian walkway, but you could see the rushing water through those grates and the noise of the cars and trucks driving on the bridge terrified me.

It wasn't bad enough to walk to and from school, but I had to walk home for lunch, too, and then back to school. I thought that each crossing would be my last.

I hate metal bridges yet today and will do anything to avoid one, but find wooden bridges poetic. Go figure!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,937,833 times
Shark! scared to death to go in the ocean.

Reason is just after seeing the movie Jaws ( we were at the beach)
My nutty middle sister went under water and bit my leg!

I walked , no ran across the top of the water and I haven't been back in the ocean since.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:54 AM

438 posts, read 1,312,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The one in Maryland was Golden Gate size,strange that if Im a passanger Im alright but me behind the wheel freaks me.

On my road trip I plotted out crossing the Missisippi river.The first time I went out of my way to use a ferry to cross.But the 2nd time I went back out to Texas I used I40 which isn't that bad and my trick was to cross it a night when tired so I was kinda numb to think about it and because of less traffic.

I drove extra north to use it because I10 goes along the coast and that means more bridges.The funny thing is it takes less than a minute to go over it but it is seconds of terror.
You woul have had quite a difficult time on I-10. Before you get to Baton Rouge, LA there is a very long bridge over the Atchafalaya Basin (swamp). Its just an overpass-type bridge, but at least 10-15 miles long. At some point there is a huge bridge withint the bridge. That one doesn't bother me for some reason. I guess because I went over it a million times as a kid. But the Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge gives me heart palpitations. That's a scary one!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 18,388,352 times
Until I read thru all the posts I didn't realize how many phobias I really had!

Snakes-if one is shown on TV I have to look away-my skin crawls.
Bridges
Tunnels
Spiders
Ladders-can go up but coming down is something else.
Ferris wheels, roller coasters (The one at Coney Island was my undoing).
Firecrackers, large crowds, noise

Wow-there's probably more-therapy here I come! LOL.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 AM

1,641 posts, read 4,370,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I like people watching but if I'm surrounded by hoards of people I tense up, like at a concert or something. It's no biggie if there's a distance around me, even a slight one, but if we're all jammed together like sardines (like the New York City subway), then I start to get uncomfortable.
I get more than uncomfortable. I tense up so badly, my partner knows that we have to get out of whatever store we are in very quickly. I feel like I want to scream at everyone that's too close to me. Ugh. I forgot about that, because we have come to avoid big crowds.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:20 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,104,606 times
Is there a term called LizardOphobia ? I'm so scared of lizards I cannot even bear to look at their pictures, not even the cartoon versions of it . I have to switch off the tv or change channels every time the Geico commercial is on

Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,962,096 times
chickens

Yup, petrified about chickens.

When I was about 5, I must have gotten too close to a mother hen and her chicks. The hen flew up in my face in a rage.

(no problem with fried chicken though

Old 03-07-2008, 08:32 AM

4,281 posts, read 8,903,441 times
Got over my fear of heights by going up in a military Black Hawk helicopter. I even hung out the side door so I could get better aerial shots.

Snakes on the otherhand are completely different. I don't think I will ever be able to get over my fear of them!

That very long bridge over the Atchafalaya Basin is a killer. I'm not bothered by bridges but that one with its huge pot holes gives me the pucker factor. Worse still, I always wondered what was slithering underneath it!! If we crashed and went over the side I think I would die from shock before anything else!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 AM

438 posts, read 1,312,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
That very long bridge over the Atchafalaya Basin is a killer. I'm not bothered by bridges but that one with its huge pot holes gives me the pucker factor. Worse still, I always wondered what was slithering underneath it!! If we crashed and went over the side I think I would die from shock before anything else!
Even life-long residents have no idea what's under there. And yes, Louisiana has very bad roads. That bridge is no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics