U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 AM

10,778 posts, read 17,302,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
Got over my fear of heights by going up in a military Black Hawk helicopter. I even hung out the side door so I could get better aerial shots.
YOU are so lucky,my dream is to one day do that in a Blackhawk maybe a airshow ride or something.I love helicopters,been in a Jetranger and Hughes 500.But the Blackhawk,man.

Whenever one flys over my house I run out like a kid to watch it.Wish getting a private license wasn't so expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,734,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
I have phobia-phobia: fear of being afraid.
Wow, sucks to be you.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM

129 posts, read 278,527 times
I have a phobia of my own arm. Well arms actually but particularly and most anoyingly my own. Not the whole of my arm but on the inside where it bends ( ont the other side to the elbow). I cant look at it, or anybody elses and definately cant touch it. ...I had many blood tests when i was little i think thats where it comes from.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:26 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,268,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racket View Post
I have a phobia of my own arm. Well arms actually but particularly and most anoyingly my own. Not the whole of my arm but on the inside where it bends ( ont the other side to the elbow). I cant look at it, or anybody elses and definately cant touch it. ...I had many blood tests when i was little i think thats where it comes from.
Ok, your not alone here. I also have a similar issue, but with my wrists No one can touch me there, even myself, ya know the spot where the doctor feels for a pulse? That spot on my wrist can NOT be touched, if someone touches me there or I try to do my pulse at the gym - I get nauseated and want to throw up. I can't stand it. It's making me sick just talking about it!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 PM

34,999 posts, read 32,143,620 times
Bridges - It's funny how a panic attack will come on if it wants to and once you're in it you CANNOT reason your way out of it. You can sit at the bottom of a bridge parked safely on a side road and be all calm and strong, but then you actually start to ramp up onto the reality of it and once you recognize that you can't turn around and you have to keep going up, no more chances, you have to negotiate this, then your goose is just cooked. Or so you're convinced.

I wonder if it's a little taste of serious mental illness. If some people live in panic attack mode all the time.

If that paranoid questioning voice that starts a panic attack starts seeping in, I can't dare look anywhere but straight ahead, sweating on the steering wheel, talking out loud, loudly and nonstop about how "we" are gong to be over this and safely on the other side in just a little moment and it's really perfectly all right and fine and if we WANT to pull over we CAN, look at that great wide SHOULDER, PLENTY of room, anytime we WANT and this is really just like driving on a flat level road out in the country where we could just roll right onto the grass and drive through a big old field if we WANTED to..." I'm sure that this is the only thing that's keeping me from fainting or having a heart attack. I have to make myself keep pressing weight into my toes somehow to keep the car moving forward.

That's how it is for me, anyway. I don't know if this is weird , but if I can get between two big solid trucks in the left lane, that helps some.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,485,907 times
Panic attacks just stink,although it's nice to know I'm not alone,sometimes it feels you're going crazy..but my husband assures me I'm not and it's the stress thats mounted over the past couple years. Mine started about 2 and 1/2 years ago out of the blue. I was driving down the road and experienced one seem to get them while driving.For the most part I didn't have to drive anywhere my husband did it.Since our move and work schedules differ I have had to grab the reins and drive again,it's tough but I am doing better,talking myself through the attacks.Before this I would drive anywhere myself,even one state to another,not a problem.I also had one start to come on at a AppleBees so when our food came we asked to have it to go.So then it seemed to happen at other restraunts,but have been lucky to get that under control,although I haven't ventured into that AppleBees since.I figured I will face that on a slow weekday afternoon first.
Here is a web site that seems to help abit for panic attacks...I've read it several times and I read it over when needed as I have it book marked.Panic Attacks Anxieties Summary Panic problems

Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM

129 posts, read 278,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Ok, your not alone here. I also have a similar issue, but with my wrists No one can touch me there, even myself, ya know the spot where the doctor feels for a pulse? That spot on my wrist can NOT be touched, if someone touches me there or I try to do my pulse at the gym - I get nauseated and want to throw up. I can't stand it. It's making me sick just talking about it!
wow ive never met anyone with a similar sort of thing. it weird isnt it, its not like you can just avoid it, coz its right there...on u! lol

Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM

34,999 posts, read 32,143,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree View Post
Panic attacks just stink,although it's nice to know I'm not alone,sometimes it feels you're going crazy..but my husband assures me I'm not and it's the stress thats mounted over the past couple years. Mine started about 2 and 1/2 years ago out of the blue. I was driving down the road and experienced one seem to get them while driving.For the most part I didn't have to drive anywhere my husband did it.Since our move and work schedules differ I have had to grab the reins and drive again,it's tough but I am doing better,talking myself through the attacks.Before this I would drive anywhere myself,even one state to another,not a problem.I also had one start to come on at a AppleBees so when our food came we asked to have it to go.So then it seemed to happen at other restraunts,but have been lucky to get that under control,although I haven't ventured into that AppleBees since.I figured I will face that on a slow weekday afternoon first.
Here is a web site that seems to help abit for panic attacks...I've read it several times and I read it over when needed as I have it book marked.Panic Attacks Anxieties Summary Panic problems
That's awful, that they came on to you on dry land I hope they stop happening very soon!

Yes, good to know we're not alone with this. I'm absolutely fine otherwise! Mine started out of the blue too, during a period of stress; that is about 13 years in the past now but the PAs hang on, with bridges only. Interesting how our heads work (or don't work)

Old 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,467,152 times
The bridge thing- ever been across The Sunshine Skyway in Tampa or any bridge in New York while driving a huge movie truck pulling a car during rush hour.
Ferry boats- we used to live in WA when my son was a baby and take the ferry across Puget Sound to visit my grandmother in Bellevue. It's not so much the ferry itself, but the thought of my son falling overboard in such deep, cold water. I was a nervous wreck every time.
Claustrophobia- let's just say I hope I never have to get an MRI.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,268,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
Claustrophobia- let's just say I hope I never have to get an MRI.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)
Did you read my thread a few pages back? They would have to knock me out to do this! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics