U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:42 PM

19,664 posts, read 51,231,150 times

Advertisements

Well, lets hear em! What area your phobias? Include reasons too.

Mine? Fear of heights. I dont like being anything more than 15 floors above the ground, especially outside on a balcony or something. Makes me woozy and weak feeling. Im perfectly fine on standing out a mountain that is 5K feet above the city below, but anything manmade? No way, Jose!

I also have a fear of the ocean for some odd reason. I cannot stand to be in the ocean and go past my waist in the water. If I were floating out in the middle of the ocean all by myself, far from land or people, I think I would have a heart attack, seriously. Ever seen the movie "Open Water"? My worst nightmare ever! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 PM

19,533 posts, read 22,750,292 times
I don't think I have any.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 PM

438 posts, read 1,053,981 times
Roaches. Its more than a dislike for them. If I see one I'm literally paralyzed with fear. They're just unnatural. I can't see one on TV without freaking out. Just talking about it now makes my heart rate go up. And yes, I know I'm a dork.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 PM

28,227 posts, read 13,787,992 times
Definitely heights-I can't breathe. We went to the Badlans in SD 2 yrs ago. Paid $15 to drive into the park, I panicked and we left in 5 min.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:30 PM

11,265 posts, read 9,687,925 times
Let's see, heights, don't feel steady on a ladder. I can't swim in water over my head. Crowds as there is always some crazy person who might get voilent. Public transportation, again with the fear of crazy people. Driving, I try to avoid being behind the wheel at all costs, not a happy passenger either. I used to commute to Manhattan via the subway. Now I live in a small town in AZ and work from home much calmer, less stress. That is all I can think of now. Oh, fire crackers scare me too. I'm sure as more members list their phobias I'll be in agreement with them!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 PM

10,136 posts, read 13,295,898 times
Bridges.I cannot drive (if I'm driving) over large bridges it freaks me out.Funny that some bridges don't bother me the next time the same bridge does.

But huge bridges........no way.My dad took me on the Maryland Chesapeake bridge and I freaked as soon as I saw it coming.Since he drove I handled it but me driving no way.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM

24,312 posts, read 16,372,089 times
My phobia was “work” I was so afraid of it at first. Then I was able to control myself and found that I no longer had a fear, I was able to lie down beside it and fall asleep ~ no fear of it at all.

I also don’t like heights, roof tops, climbing trees, outside glassed in elevators etc.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:52 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,663,256 times
The only thing I am truly phobic about is snakes.

I am affraid of heights ONLY when there is a chance of me falling, like when I am on a ladder. If I am in a high rise, I am fine.

One time a friend of my daughters was in the backseat of my truck. She shoved a fake snake in my face, it was carved from wood and had movement like a real snake. Luckily I had not dirven away yet. I jumped out of the truck, in full panic attack mode, tears rolling down my face. I am not the kind of person who cries easily. It was all I could do to keep breathing.

I think I could face a person with a gun with less fear.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 PM

10,136 posts, read 13,295,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The only thing I am truly phobic about is snakes.

I am affraid of heights ONLY when there is a chance of me falling, like when I am on a ladder. If I am in a high rise, I am fine.

One time a friend of my daughters was in the backseat of my truck. She shoved a fake snake in my face, it was carved from wood and had movement like a real snake. Luckily I had not dirven away yet. I jumped out of the truck, in full panic attack mode, tears rolling down my face. I am not the kind of person who cries easily. It was all I could do to keep breathing.

I think I could face a person with a gun with less fear.
Actually I can't stand those either.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:02 PM

9,256 posts, read 7,953,780 times
I am afraid of sharks. So much so that I dread the thought of ever flying in an airplane. Because I know the plane will crash, and I will be the only survivor floating in the ocean waiting ro be chum. Irrational, I know, but there you have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics