Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 11:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,349,977 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday May 15, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had a near-collision (while walking, or in a vehicle) with someone who was staring at his/her phone (while he/she was either walking or driving) ?

Extra Credit:
Do you own a mop ? If so, is it sponge-topped or gathered fabric loops ?
If you “wet-clean” the floor, do you mop or sponge by hand ?

Bonus:
If you consume beverages with caffeine in them, do you have a cutoff time (of day or night), after which you try not to have any more (so you'll be able to fall asleep) ?

Just for Fun:
Asked about seasonal wardrobe/clothing last week-do you have seasonal version of more or less bedding/linens ?
Do you remove blankets (and stow them away) during summer months, for instance ?
Do you make your bed each day ?

Today in History:
1862: The U.S. Bureau (later, Department) of Agriculture is formed
1869: National Woman Suffrage Association established by Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony
1905: Founding of the city of Las Vegas, NV, on land abutting route of the San Pedro, Los Angeles, & Salt Lake Railroad
1936: Birth of illustrator & caricaturist Ralph Steadman
1940: Birth of actress & singer Lainie Kazan (My Favorite Year, My Big Fat Greek Wedding)
1948: Birth of musician, composer, and producer Brian Eno (collaborations with David Byrne and David Bowie)
1952: Birth of actor & screenwriter Calogero Lorenzo “Chazz” Palminteri (A Bronx Tale, The Usual Suspects)
1958: Research satellite Sputnik 3 is launched by The Soviet Union
1967: Birth of author Laura Hillenbrand (Unbroken, Seabiscuit)
1978: Birth of actor David Krumholtz (Numb3rs, Harold & Kumar films)
2010: 16-year-old Australian Jessica Watson completes 210-day non-stop solo circumnavigation of the southern hemisphere, a record-setting sailboat voyage

Today’s Word:
comport /kəmˈpôrt/ (vb.): 1.) Behave with regard to presentation, manner, or bearing. To keep one’s composure-
for example “to comport yourself with the seriousness the occasion deserves”.
2.) Congruent or in agreement with, confirmatory of-
for example “this data comports with other intel we’ve gathered”.

Today Is:
International Conscientious Objectors Day
Peace Officers Memorial Day
International Day of Families (UN)
National Chocolate Chip Day
Nylon Stockings Day
Straw Hat Day
-this week is-
National Bike to Work Week
American Craft Beer Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are just below the middle (asterisk symbols)-

Thought for the Day:
“Optimism is saying, firmly, “Things will get better.”
Blitheness is saying, easily, “Things never get that bad in the first place.” “
-Caitlin Moran

Wishing you a day that rewards an optimistic outlook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 11:41 PM

11,061 posts, read 17,464,658 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever had a near-collision (while walking, or in a vehicle) with someone who was staring at his/her phone (while he/she was either walking or driving) ? Just by walking. It was my 18 yr old step granddaughter who walked into me. lol

Extra Credit:
Do you own a mop ? If so, is it sponge-topped or gathered fabric loops ? Sponge
If you “wet-clean” the floor, do you mop or sponge by hand ? I mop. I aint getting down to sponge by hand! lol

Bonus:
If you consume beverages with caffeine in them, do you have a cutoff time (of day or night), after which you try not to have any more (so you'll be able to fall asleep) ? Caffeine doesn't bother me. I've drunk a can of Mountain Dew around 11 one night and was asleep by 12:15.

Just for Fun:
Asked about seasonal wardrobe/clothing last week-do you have seasonal version of more or less bedding/linens ? Nope
Do you remove blankets (and stow them away) during summer months, for instance ? Nope
Do you make your bed each day ? Why? It will just be messed up again that night!

Old 05-14-2017, 11:46 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,664,685 times

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had a near-collision (while walking, or in a vehicle) with someone who was staring at his/her phone (while he/she was either walking or driving) ?
Probably!
Extra Credit:
Do you own a mop ? If so, is it sponge-topped or gathered fabric loops ? We've had all kinds right now it a round head spinner mop.
We have done both.
Bonus:
If you consume beverages with caffeine in them, do you have a cutoff time (of day or night), after which you try not to have any more (so you'll be able to fall asleep) ?
Nope... doesn't seem to affect me. Tea doesn't at least. Coffee near bedtime might but I only have a cup in the morning.
Just for Fun:
Asked about seasonal wardrobe/clothing last week-do you have seasonal version of more or less bedding/linens ?
Do you remove blankets (and stow them away) during summer months, for instance ?

Today in History:
1862: The U.S. Bureau (later, Department) of Agriculture is formed
1869: National Woman Suffrage Association established by Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony
1905: Founding of the city of Las Vegas, NV, on land abutting route of the San Pedro, Los Angeles, & Salt Lake Railroad
1936: Birth of illustrator & caricaturist Ralph Steadman
1940: Birth of actress & singer Lainie Kazan (My Favorite Year, My Big Fat Greek Wedding)
1948: Birth of musician, composer, and producer Brian Eno (collaborations with David Byrne and David Bowie)
1952: Birth of actor & screenwriter Calogero Lorenzo “Chazz” Palminteri (A Bronx Tale, The Usual Suspects)
1967: Birth of author Laura Hillenbrand (Unbroken, Seabiscuit)
1978: Birth of actor David Krumholtz (Numb3rs, Harold & Kumar films)
2010: 16-year-old Australian Jessica Watson completes 210-day non-stop solo circumnavigation of the southern hemisphere, a record-setting sailboat voyage

Today’s Word:
comport /kəmˈpôrt/ (vb.): 1.) Behave with regard to presentation, manner, or bearing. To keep one’s composure-

Today Is:
Nylon Stockings Day
Straw Hat Day
-this week is-
American Craft Beer Week

Thought for the Day:
-Caitlin Moran

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Old 05-14-2017, 11:50 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,200,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
[color=DarkRed][b]Happy Monday May 15, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had a near-collision (while walking, or in a vehicle) with someone who was staring at his/her phone (while he/she was either walking or driving) ?Oh yeah

Extra Credit:
Do you own a mop ? If so, is it sponge-topped or gathered fabric loops ? Sonoge
If you “wet-clean” the floor, do you mop or sponge by hand ?If I were doing it I would definitely mop

Bonus:
2 cups in morning none after that unless I am working over night. If working another one at the beginning of shift.

Just for Fun:
Asked about seasonal wardrobe/clothing last week-do you have seasonal version of more or less bedding/linens ? yes
Do you remove blankets (and stow them away) during summer months, for instance ?leave one light blanket on the bed during summer
Do you make your bed each day ?No Why bother??

Today in History:

Today Is:
Nylon Stockings Day
Straw Hat Day
-this week is-
American Craft Beer Week

Thought for the Day:
-Caitlin Moran

Thanks cloven

Old 05-15-2017, 12:01 AM
bjh

59,952 posts, read 30,279,930 times
T'anks

Today’s Question:
Have you ever had a near-collision (while walking, or in a vehicle) with someone who was
staring at his/her phone (while he/she was either walking or driving) ?
I've had near misses while driving, but
as far as I know, the other drivers were not on the phone. I wasn't, for sure.

Extra Credit:
Yes, sponge top.
Mop.

Bonus:
If you consume beverages with caffeine in them, do you have a cutoff time (of day or night),
after which you try not to have any more (so you'll be able to fall asleep) ?
Not really. I may drink a small amount of tea or soda in the evening, though usually I drink either earlier in the day.

Just for Fun:
Same type year round. Doesn't get cold enough to want flannel sheets or whatever. Central heating keeps us warm enough.
Our comforters are on the beds year-round, just turned down in warmer months.
Yes.

Wishing you a day that rewards an optimistic outlook
And, you. Thx, cloven.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:04 AM

38,755 posts, read 22,740,124 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever had a near-collision (while walking, or in a vehicle) with someone who was staring at his/her phone (while he/she was either walking or driving) ? Yes, mostly when driving.

Extra Credit:
Do you own a mop ? Yes. If so, is it sponge-topped or gathered fabric loops ? Sponge-topped.
If you “wet-clean” the floor, do you mop or sponge by hand ? Use the mop.

Bonus:
If you consume beverages with caffeine in them, do you have a cutoff time (of day or night), after which you try not to have any more (so you'll be able to fall asleep) ? Yes, I try not to consume caffeinated beverages after lunchtime.

Just for Fun:
Asked about seasonal wardrobe/clothing last week-do you have seasonal version of more or less bedding/linens ? Yes.
Do you remove blankets (and stow them away) during summer months, for instance ? Yes, blankets are stored away during the summer months.
Do you make your bed each day ? I do. That's how I was trained as a youngster.

I'm typing this post on a new computer I got yesterday, so this is the first QOTD I'm posting with it. So far, so good!

Have a great start to the new week ahead!

Old 05-15-2017, 12:59 AM

21,481 posts, read 8,669,793 times

Today’s Question:
Yes, although I'm not sure if the SUV driver was on her phone when she nearly mowed me down in a pedestrian crosswalk. But I strongly suspect it.
Extra Credit:
I have a sponge mop, which I use on the kitchen and bathroom floors. By hand? Not gonna happen!
Bonus:
Yes, I try not to have caffeine after 8 pm or at least 5-6 hours before bedtime.
Just for Fun:

We've got one light, woven cotton blanket that replaces the duvet when the weather is hot. It gets used maybe two or three times a year.

The summer blanket is stored in the bedroom closet.
Yes, always.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 05-15-2017, 02:55 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,868,061 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever had a near-collision (while walking, or in a vehicle) with someone who was staring at his/her phone (while he/she was either walking or driving) ? Could have while driving, I don't know. Have had while walking. People running into me with their carts while grocery shopping isn't unusual anymore. I remember once on a sidewalk outside the country store a group of people came out of the store and started down the walkway, each on a phone. I decided to not move and see what would happen. One person noticed me and alerted the group. It was like a murmuration, when birds all move together. They didn't seem to take their eyes from their phones.

Extra Credit:
Do you own a mop ? If so, is it sponge-topped or gathered fabric loops ? I don't own one anymore. Most floors are hardwood.
If you “wet-clean” the floor, do you mop or sponge by hand ? Have done both

Bonus:
If you consume beverages with caffeine in them, do you have a cutoff time (of day or night), after which you try not to have any more (so you'll be able to fall asleep) ? I don't have much caffeine, but when I do, yes. I don't have any after noontime.

Just for Fun:
Asked about seasonal wardrobe/clothing last week-do you have seasonal version of more or less bedding/linens ? As you say below, I remove blankets, putting them in the bedroom closet.
Do you remove blankets (and stow them away) during summer months, for instance ? ^^^
Do you make your bed each day ? Usually

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Nylon Stockings Day
Straw Hat Day
-this week is-
American Craft Beer Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are just below the middle (asterisk symbols)- Very springlike!

Thought for the Day:
-Caitlin Moran

Wishing you a day that rewards an optimistic outlook. Six more Mondays before we're out for the summer!

Old 05-15-2017, 03:05 AM

7,986 posts, read 5,360,344 times
Good Morning

Today’s Question:

Extra Credit:

Bonus:
If you consume beverages with caffeine in them, do you have a cutoff time (of day or night), after which you try not to have any more (so you'll be able to fall asleep) ? I have one or two cups of coffee in the morning, the rest of day is water. If I did have caffeine later in the day it would disturb my sleep.

Just for Fun:
Asked about seasonal wardrobe/clothing last week-do you have seasonal version of more or less bedding/linens ? Yes--use flannel sheets in the Winter
Do you remove blankets (and stow them away) during summer months, for instance ? Yes, I will put the extra blanket away for the Summer.
Do you make your bed each day ? Yes. I don't care for the sloppy appearance of an unmade bed. I am not the neatest person in the world, it takes less than a minute for me to make the bed.

Today Is:
Nylon Stockings Day
Straw Hat Day
-this week is-
American Craft Beer Week

Thought for the Day:
-Caitlin Moran

Have a lovely Monday---beautiful maze today Cloven!

Old 05-15-2017, 03:55 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,559,285 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever had a near-collision (while walking, or in a vehicle) with someone who was staring at his/her phone (while he/she was either walking or driving) ? yes - walking for sure. Dolts.

Extra Credit:
If you “wet-clean” the floor, do you mop or sponge by hand ? by hand. There isn't much of that kind of flooring here - and it rarely needs real scrubbing - just a wipe up.

Bonus:
If you consume beverages with caffeine in them, do you have a cutoff time (of day or night), after which you try not to have any more (so you'll be able to fall asleep) ?this came up recently. I used to think caffeine didn't affect my sleep. Plus, I rarely drink it. I think now that I have a delayed reaction to it. So, I can drink espresso with dinner and be fine - but a lot of caffeine at lunch will disrupt my sleep.

Just for Fun:
Asked about seasonal wardrobe/clothing last week-do you have seasonal version of more or less bedding/linens ? sort of - I have a couple sheet sets that I tend to use in winter but not summer - the rest are year round
Do you remove blankets (and stow them away) during summer months, for instance ? no, I just use a sheet and comforter - sometimes my husband will use a second comforter and I'll dump my bedding on him if I get too hot. Man, he likes it really hot year round!
Do you make your bed each day ? no

[color=DarkRed][b]Thought for the Day:
-Caitlin Moran blitheness can be so irritating and dismissive

Wishing you a day that rewards an optimistic outlook.much appreciated - you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics