Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 02:10 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times

Advertisements

Bonjour a tous- hello everyone.

Yes, it's me, now living in France. I do have to head back to the UK, but we'll be here for most of the time from now on.

Bit by bit we're moving things forward, but there is still a heck of a lot to do on so many fronts. I guess I should 'enjoy the journey' but that's easier said than done at times. Still, I'd rather be here than the UK.

I will not be able to do the POTW on a regular basis for the time being, but I'll do one for this week.

Hmm... Not sure what to pick- hang on- got one.

The previous owner was very fond of his curry and one cupboard is Stink City! (Do Americans know the word stink?)

The POTW is;

Getting rid of lingering smells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 02:18 PM

And so to the photos.

I haven't had so much time to take them, but here are one or two, mainly shot in the garden here.

The views from our place in the UK were good. They're even better here. We look across the countryside from the edge of a hilltop village. The countryside itself goes on for miles and miles. A trip to the supermarket involves a half hour drive through quiet small roads with great views. The villages are beautiful and our sunsets are superb.

Here's a taster;

At a friend's village;

Old 05-23-2017, 02:49 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Excellent peeve, Jez. Owning a cat that has occasional ..... er..... mishaps in the house, I have an unending battle with this. Stink City!

Lovely photos, by the way.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:48 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
"We don't need no stinkin' badges."
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (excellent American film)

Yes, Jezer, we use the word "stink" in the US. heeheehee

Polecats (aka: skunks) stink. Tomato juice gets rid of the smell and I don't mean by drinking it. Wash whatever was sprayed by said polecat in tomato juice.

Wondrous photos, Jez. What a beautiful place to live. Send us some bread and cheese, please.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:07 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Thank you for the wonderful photos, Jezer. You are fortunate to live in such a lovely place. I appreciate that you would take the time from your busy life to share your new adventure with us.

Odors. Oh, yes. I am very sensitive to bad odors, but nothing makes me happier than a fragrance that evokes a warm feeling or brings back fond memories. Luckily odor control isn't an issue at my house as neither of us smokes or has a pet. But when we first bought the house, it had been the home of four unhousebroken puppies. The stench was awful. A good clean helped, as did fresh paint and carpet. But once in a while, especially when I'm downstairs in the garage, I could swear I can still detect a faint whiff of stale puppy piddle.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:23 AM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times

Used to have to travel thru a area that had a abundance of dairies with lots of moo cows.

Best solution, drive thru the area as quickly as possible.

As usual, nice pictures. What are the 2 large buildings?

Old 05-24-2017, 11:00 AM

126,274 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Good evening Jezer.Glad you love your new home. What a beautiful place.

Getting rid of lingering smells. The only thing that I can think of for one night may be the lingering smell after my cooking,but once the house is well aired the smell disappears.
Or whenever we have in summer real high humidity it is hard to rid of the humidity smell.

motormaker I love the country perfume and enjoy driving real slow on the country roads.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:24 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
My husband got doused with diesel when fueling a tractor. Getting the stain out of his clothing was much easier than getting rid of the lingering smell. Multiple washes and line drying finally did the job. Diesel is nasty stuff!!

Old 05-25-2017, 06:07 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
My husband got doused with diesel when fueling a tractor. Getting the stain out of his clothing was much easier than getting rid of the lingering smell. Multiple washes and line drying finally did the job. Diesel is nasty stuff!!
Oh that reminds me Lark~~Dad was a machinist and I worked there 10 years....Cutting oil Open the dryer and it knocks you down!! I'll never forget that smell!

Great photos Jez. Glad you are settling down, beautiful views!! Thanks so much for doing this!!

Old 05-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post

Used to have to travel thru a area that had a abundance of dairies with lots of moo cows.

Best solution, drive thru the area as quickly as possible.

As usual, nice pictures. What are the 2 large buildings?
Just a couple of houses in the village.

Thanks for all the comments.

It really is a gorgeous area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics