Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:50 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s)

Briefly, what is a favorite story that you never get tired of sharing, about anyone or anything?

I don't bore others with long personal stories. However, I'm always interested when the conversation turns to people's memories of shared events and what they were doing on that day, at that very moment -- days like 9/11, Kennedy assassination, Oklahoma City bombing, OJ verdict.

Who or what is in a favorite photo?
I have a sweet one of my parents sitting on the front bumper of their new car some time in the 1950s.

What are some of your favorite:
things to eat for your first meal of the day? -- two cups of coffee please.
places to spend a little time alone? -- my home.
places to take a nap? -- my sofa.
songs to listen to when feeling a little down? -- any of my CDs.
sounds to listen to? -- sitting on my WI deck listening to the silence.
job that you have ever had? -- teaching at the school for the blind in New Zealand.
books to read? mysteries, autobiographies.

Thanks so much PC! Happy day everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Today's Question(s):
Briefly, what is a favorite story that you never get tired of sharing, about anyone or anything?
When the kids are all here it generally is about a camping trip. The one that always gets a good laugh is when the boys tossed a 2 ft long piece of rope onto a very sound asleep Super Chief and yelled snake. Having a major dislike of snakes the Super Chief flew out of the camper like it was on fire.Needless to say she was not a happy camper.

Bonus Question(s) :
Who or what is in a favorite photo? Why it is your favorite (or one of your favorites)?
I took a picture of the Hopi House at the Grand Canyon in 2009 that I like and have received several compliments on.

Just For Fun:
things to eat for your first meal of the day?eggs and toast
places to spend a little time alone?at home in a empty house.
places to take a nap?my bed
songs to listen to when feeling a little down?Don't Worry, Be Happy
sounds to listen to?thunder and rain on the roof.
job that you have ever had?Aerospace Engineering
books to read?Years ago it was the Tom Swift books.

Thanx PatsCats.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:00 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Hoping everyone is well and ready to do what they need to do today. Or ready to finish up for the night.

Today's theme is "favorites."

Today's Question(s):
Briefly, what is a favorite story that you never get tired of sharing, about anyone or anything? Too long to go into it here but I occasionally love to tell people how my father met his future father-in-law, which is like something right out of the movies.

Bonus Question(s) :
Who or what is in a favorite photo? Why it is your favorite (or one of your favorites)? One is an OLD pic of a friend and I, taken at one of those quick-pic booths at a county fair. We're making awful faces, but it still always make me laugh whenever I look at it. It was a fun night.

Just For Fun:
things to eat for your first meal of the day? Pills, with coffee.
places to spend a little time alone? In summer, back yard; otherwise, in the livingroom if I'm lucky.
places to take a nap? I can sleep anywhere but I'd say the swinging chair in the back yard.
songs to listen to when feeling a little down? That doesn't matter. In fact, I sometimes don't want music then.
sounds to listen to? Birds chirping, the sound of the ocean, old train whistles.
job that you have ever had? A shipping operator. I was the first female hired for it and did great and loved it. I worked graveyard, so it was just me and my radio.
books to read? I do like James Lee Burke books.

Thanx so much for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
Happy Humps!

Old 08-02-2017, 01:14 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Mornin' all!

Hoping everyone is well and ready to do what they need to do today. Or ready to finish up for the night.

Today's Question(s):

JBGUSA: Beating a New York City speeding ticket in September 1982 by asking the officer to show that he was reading from the ticket (and thus didn't remember giving it) and to repeat in simple terms how he calibrated the radar (was not able to rephrase and judge didn't believe that he ever calibrated radar). Judge then asked if I was a lawyer, and I said "not yet but hopefully soon" since I was awaiting my bar test results and admission.

Bonus Question(s) :
Who or what is in a favorite photo? Why it is your favorite (or one of your favorites)?

JBGUSA:Montage my mother made of my and my older son at the same age, about 9 months old, to show that we looked almost exactly alike.

Just For Fun:
things to eat for your first meal of the day?
JBGUSA: Steak and eggs.
places to spend a little time alone? JBGUSA: Only did this once but sitting by the side of a mountain lake in Colorado, in a light rain, thinking about how lucky I was to meet my wife.
places to take a nap? JBGUSA: In a chaize lounge by a swimming pool.
songs to listen to when feeling a little down? JBGUSA: Pack Up Your Sorrows, and Uncle Jedd Say
sounds to listen to? JBGUSA: Music
job that you have ever had? JJBGUSA: Various iterations of law firm with which I am now working.
books to read? JBGUSA: White Fang by Jack London; Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat; Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2009: Two previously unknown works by Mozart - a concerto movement and a prelude, are performed in Salzburg, Austria
JBGUSA: Any idea what pieces and "K" numbers?

Today's Word:
prefer
JBGUSA: Covfefe
Earliest Documented Use: Donald Trump, last month or two

Have a great day!
JBGUSA: You are welcome.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:27 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
[quote=PatsCats;49045715]Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

Bonus Question(s) :

One of my favorite photos is of John dressed as a prisoner and me dressed in his uniform for Halloween with 7 shorties dressed in Halloween costumes around us. So cute.
Just For Fun:
things to eat for your first meal of the day? Anything sweet.
places to spend a little time alone? On my bike in the wee hours of the morning.
places to take a nap? In the movie room watching a movie.
songs to listen to when feeling a little down?
sounds to listen to? Crickets, frogs, rain, distant thunder, children laughing.
job that you have ever had? I loved the last place I worked.
books to read?If I'm going to hurt my eyes it will be on something non fiction.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2009: Two previously unknown works by Mozart - a concerto movement and a prelude, are performed in Salzburg, Austria
Birthday: 1942 Isabel Allende, Chilean writer
Science/Technology: 1989: NASA confirmed Voyager 2's discovery of 3 more moons of Neptune designated temporarily 1989 N2, 1989 N3 and 1989 N24
Sports: 1994: Noureddine Morceli runs world record 3000m (7:25.11)
World: 2010: The Census of Marline Life 10-year study reports that 230,000 species of animal live in the world's oceans.

Today's Word:
prefer
Pronunciation: (pri-fur)
Meaning: verb (used with object), preferred, preferring.
1. to set or hold before or above other persons or things in estimation; like better; choose rather than:
to prefer beef to chicken.
2. Law. to give priority, as to one creditor over another.
3. to put forward or present (a statement, suit, charge, etc.) for consideration or sanction.
4. to put forward or advance, as in rank or office; promote:
to be preferred for advancement.
Etymology: Middle English preferre < Latin praeferre to bear before, set before, prefer, equivalent to prae- pre- + ferre to bear
Earliest Documented Use: 1350-1400

Today Is:
Coloring Book Day
Ice Cream Sandwich Day

Quote of the Day:
" The library is inhabited by spirits that come out of the pages at night.” ~ Isabel Allende ~

Have a great day!

Thanks Pat you too dear one. Be careful. The storms are coming.

I'm so depressed. My teenage shorties are off to college in a couple of weeks and I won't see them for quite some time. We had so much fun yesterday. I had a glimpse of how parents feel when their kids leave home.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:57 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
the one about the small dog that was almost homeless

there's not one, but one of them is a two shot portrait

Old 08-02-2017, 03:58 PM

622 posts, read 396,018 times
Today's Question(s):
After my parents and grandmere died, I lived in an orphanage and became mute. One day a social worker took me to live with my last remaining relative, an uncle. I didn't know him and he didn't know me. I tried to be brave but was shaking and silent tears ran down my cheeks. My uncle picked me up, brushed away the tears and told me I never had to be scared again because he would always love me and keep me safe. And he did. Whenever I got scared I ran to him with my arms held out and he would pick me up and hold me real tight. Eventually I whispered the word "safe" to him. It wasn't long before I started talking again. Then he couldn't shut me up.

Bonus Question(s) :
My favorites are photos of people I loved and lost.

Just For Fun:
things to eat for your first meal of the day? Eggs and waffles.
places to spend a little time alone? In bed.
places to take a nap? In bed.
songs to listen to when feeling a little down? Let it Burn by Blackberry Smoke (I can't help but dance and feel better when I hear it)
sounds to listen to? rolling thunder, bird song, voices of my loved ones
job that you have ever had? being a mother
books to read? A Walk Across America and A Walk West by Peter Jenkins; Manhattan Hunt Club by John Saul, At Home in Mitford series by Jan Karon

Today in History: (
Science/Technology: 1989: NASA confirmed Voyager 2's discovery of 3 more moons of Neptune designated temporarily 1989 N2, 1989 N3 and 1989 N24
World: 2010: The Census of Marline Life 10-year study reports that 230,000 species of animal live in the world's oceans.

Today's Word:
prefer
1. to set or hold before or above other persons or things in estimation; like better; choose rather than:
3. to put forward or present (a statement, suit, charge, etc.) for consideration or sanction.
Etymology: Middle English preferre < Latin praeferre to bear before, set before, prefer, equivalent to prae- pre- + ferre to bear

Today Is:
Coloring Book Day
Ice Cream Sandwich Day

Quote of the Day:
" The library is inhabited by spirits that come out of the pages at night.” ~ Isabel Allende ~

Have a great day!

Great questions. Thanx PatsCats!

Old 08-02-2017, 11:09 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Mornin' all!
Mornin'
Hoping everyone is well
Me, too.
and ready to do what they need to do today. Or ready to finish up for the night.
Ready to finish.
Okay
Today's Question(s):
Anything with a special ending.

Bonus Question(s) :
Many of family, friends, pets.

Just For Fun:
things to eat for your first meal of the day? Eggs or leftovers.
places to spend a little time alone? Library, bookstores.
places to take a nap? Recliner.
songs to listen to when feeling a little down? Classic rock.
sounds to listen to? Ocean waves.
job that you have ever had? Any where the people got along well.
books to read? Non-fiction, especially travel or culture clash.

Thanks, Pat.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:26 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Today's Question(s):
Briefly, what is a favorite story that you never get tired of sharing, about anyone or anything? I like to tell a story about going fishing with my dad when I was growing up. Nothing exciting; just a memory of an idyllic time in my life.

Bonus Question(s) :
Who or what is in a favorite photo? My mom. Why it is your favorite (or one of your favorites)? It's a photo taken in around 1939 when my mom was just out of high school. She was really beautiful and in the photo she is standing in her parents' snow-covered front yard, in a come-hither pose, wearing only a bathing suit and a long fur coat which is open to reveal her lovely figure. She looks to be quite the glamour girl!

Just For Fun:
things to eat for your first meal of the day? I love a savory breakfast of eggs, bacon and American fries. That's my favorite, but I haven't made a breakfast like that for a few years. It's a luxury in which I may indulge after I retire and actually have time to cook in the morning.
places to spend a little time alone? My home. I live alone and I love it. I also love to walk alone on paths in the woods at a couple of local parks.
places to take a nap? I never nap. That's a luxury unknown to me.
songs to listen to when feeling a little down? If I'm sad I'll change the radio station to a comedy channel instead of music. It's a better distraction and laughing at the jokes is therapeutic.
sounds to listen to? Birds singing in the morning and evening. It's the world's best symphony and it's free!
job that you have ever had? My earlier days as a paralegal, when I did a lot of trial work. It was exciting and fun, though exhausting. I loved it back then.
books to read? I really enjoy reading biographies now. I plan to read a lot more after I retire. I've got a big pile of books waiting for my attention.

Have a great day!
I'm making a habit of saying this, but -- better late than never! Hope everyone had a happy hump day and that an excellent weekend is in store for all.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:23 AM

385 posts, read 205,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

Ones about my parents growing up. Also ones my spouse and I tell our children. They never get tired of hearing them.

Bonus Question(s) :

Ones of my children.

Just For Fun:
things to eat for your first meal of the day?

Goodness, eggs over medium or a Mexican omelet. Crisp bacon, raisin cinnamon toast with apple butter, cup of coffee and a small cold orange juice with pulp. Sadly, most mornings it is steelcut oats.

places to spend a little time alone?

My bedroom, in the bath, out on the back porch.

places to take a nap?

My bed or on the chaise lounge in the living room.

songs to listen to when feeling a little down?
sounds to listen to?

Upbeat songs.

job that you have ever had? Domestic Engineer
books to read? History, True Crime, Self-help.

Today in History:

Today's Word:
prefer

Today Is:
Coloring Book Day
Ice Cream Sandwich Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!
I wonder why I never noticed this before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics