Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 PM

21,532 posts, read 8,716,437 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, August 27, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo.Some famous people who share your birth date are U.S. president Lyndon B. Johnson; singer-actress Martha Raye; actresses Tuesday Weld, Barbara Bach and Diana Scarwid; comedian Pee Wee Herman; musician Daryl Dragon and fashion designer Tom Ford.

Today’s Questions are an edited version of Vanity Fair magazine's monthly celebrity feature, the Proust Questionnaire:

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

What is your greatest fear?

What historical figure do you most identify with?

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

What is the trait you most deplore in others?

What is your greatest extravagance?

What is your favorite journey?

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

On what occasion do you lie?

What do you dislike most about your appearance?

What words or phrases do you most overuse?

What or who is the greatest love of your life?

When and where were you happiest?

Which talent would you most like to have?

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

What is your most treasured possession?

What is your most marked characteristic?

What do you regard as the lowest depths of misery?

What is the quality you most like in a man?

What is the quality you most like in a woman?

What do you most value in your friends?

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?

Who is your favorite villain of fiction?

Who are your heroes in real life?

Today in History
- The books of John Milton are burned in London due to his attacks on King Charles II.
1789 - The Declaration of the Rights of Man is adopted by the French National Assembly.
1828 - Uruguay is formally proclaimed to be independent during preliminary talks between Brazil and Argentina.
1858 - The first cabled news dispatch is sent and is published by "The New York Sun" newspaper. The story is about the peace demands of England and France being met by China.
1859 - The first oil well is successfully drilled in the U.S. by Colonel Edwin L. Drake near Titusville, Pennsylvania.
1889 - Charles G. Conn receives a patent for the metal clarinet.
1889 - Boxer Jack Dempsey is defeated for the first time of his career by George LaBlanche.
1892 - The original Metropolitan Opera House in New York is seriously damaged by fire.
1894 - The Wilson-Gorman Tariff Act is passed by the
U. S. Congress. The provision within for a graduated income tax is later struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court.
1921 - The owner of Acme Packing Company buys a pro football team for Green Bay,
Wisconsin. J.E. Clair pays tribute to those who worked in his plant by naming the team the Green Bay Packers.
1928 - The Kellogg-Briand Pact is signed by 15 countries in Paris. Later, 47 other nations will sign the pact.
1938 - Robert Frost, in a fit of jealousy, sets fire to some papers to disrupt a poetry recital by another poet, Archibald MacLeish.
1939 - Nazi Germany demands the Polish corridor and Danzig.
1945 - American troops land in Japan after the surrender of the Japanese government at the end of World War II.
1962 - Mariner 2 is launched by the United States. In December of the same year the spacecraft flies past Venus. It is the first space probe to reach the vicinity of another planet.
- North Vietnam's major port at Haiphong sees the first bombings from U.S. warplanes.
1981 - Work begins on recovering a safe from the Andrea Doria. The Andrea Doria was a luxury liner that had sunk in 1956 in the waters off of Massachusetts.

1984- U.S. President Ronald Reagan announces that the first citizen to go into space will be a teacher. The teacher who will eventually be chosen is Christa McAuliffe. She dies in the Challenger disaster on January 28, 1986.
1984 - Diane Sawyer becomes the fifth reporter on CBS-TV's "60 Minutes."
1984 - The Menetta Lane Theatre in Greenwich Village opened. It was the first new off-Broadway theater to be built in 50 years in New York City.
1985 - The Space Shuttle Discovery leaves for a seven-day mission in which three satellites are launched and another is repaired and redeployed.
1986 - Nolan Ryan of the Houston Astros earns his 250th career win against the Chicago Cubs.
1989 - The first U.S. commercial satellite rocket is launched. A British communications satellite is onboard.
1990 - The
U.S. State Department orders the expulsion of 36 Iraqi diplomats.
1991 - The Soviet republic of Moldavia declares its independence.
1996 –California Governor Pete Wilson signs an order that would halt state benefits to illegal immigrants.
1998 - James Brolin receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
1998 - "Titanic" becomes the first movie in North America to earn more than $600 million.
1999 - The final crew of the Russian space station Mir departs the station to return to Earth. Russia is forced to abandon Mir for financial reasons.
2001 - The
U.S. military announces that an Air Force RQ-1B "Predator" aircraft is lost over Iraq. It is reported that the unmanned aircraft "may have crashed or been shot down."
2001 - Work begins on the future site of a World War II memorial on the U.S. capital's historic national Mall. The site is between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial.

Word of the Day:
evanesce /ˌevəˈnes/ verb
: to vanish, like vapor.

“Later in the morning the fog will evanesce into blue sky.”

Quote of the Day:
“Being president is like being a jackass in a hailstorm. There’s nothing to do but to stand there and take it.”
- Lyndon B. Johnson

Today is:
National Pot de Crème Day
National Just Because Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 09:36 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, August 27, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo.Some famous people who share your birth date are U.S. president Lyndon B. Johnson; singer-actress Martha Raye; actresses Tuesday Weld, Barbara Bach and Diana Scarwid; comedian Pee Wee Herman; musician Daryl Dragon and fashion designer Tom Ford.

Today’s Questions are an edited version of Vanity Fair magazine's monthly celebrity feature, the Proust Questionnaire:

Ton of money driving across America with my kids and grandkids.

Whichever one others deplore.
Dishonesty.
Dog treats... I love my dog.
Trip to Cal in 2010. We did it all.

Rare ones.
The toll of age.
These questions are hard.

I'm not sure.

My health.
My family.
Don't think I have a particular possession that more treasured than others.
I have no tatoos.
Being desperately poor and unable to provide for the family.
Strength, honesty, courage, dependability etc...
Honesty, dependability, loyalty ..etc.
Loyalty, honesty.

My father and grandfather.
Today in History
- The books of John Milton are burned in London due to his attacks on King Charles II.
1789 - The Declaration of the Rights of Man is adopted by the French National Assembly.
1828 - Uruguay is formally proclaimed to be independent during preliminary talks between Brazil and Argentina.
1858 - The first cabled news dispatch is sent and is published by "The New York Sun" newspaper. The story is about the peace demands of England and France being met by China.
1859 - The first oil well is successfully drilled in the U.S. by Colonel Edwin L. Drake near Titusville, Pennsylvania.
1889 - Boxer Jack Dempsey is defeated for the first time of his career by George LaBlanche.
1892 - The original Metropolitan Opera House in New York is seriously damaged by fire.
U. S. Congress. The provision within for a graduated income tax is later struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court.
1921 - The owner of Acme Packing Company buys a pro football team for Green Bay,
Wisconsin. J.E. Clair pays tribute to those who worked in his plant by naming the team the Green Bay Packers.
1928 - The Kellogg-Briand Pact is signed by 15 countries in Paris. Later, 47 other nations will sign the pact.
1938 - Robert Frost, in a fit of jealousy, sets fire to some papers to disrupt a poetry recital by another poet, Archibald MacLeish.
1945 - American troops land in Japan after the surrender of the Japanese government at the end of World War II.
1962 - Mariner 2 is launched by the United States. In December of the same year the spacecraft flies past Venus. It is the first space probe to reach the vicinity of another planet.
- North Vietnam's major port at Haiphong sees the first bombings from U.S. warplanes.
1981 - Work begins on recovering a safe from the Andrea Doria. The Andrea Doria was a luxury liner that had sunk in 1956 in the waters off of Massachusetts.

1984- U.S. President Ronald Reagan announces that the first citizen to go into space will be a teacher. The teacher who will eventually be chosen is Christa McAuliffe. She dies in the Challenger disaster on January 28, 1986.
1984 - The Menetta Lane Theatre in Greenwich Village opened. It was the first new off-Broadway theater to be built in 50 years in New York City.
1985 - The Space Shuttle Discovery leaves for a seven-day mission in which three satellites are launched and another is repaired and redeployed.
1986 - Nolan Ryan of the Houston Astros earns his 250th career win against the Chicago Cubs.
1989 - The first U.S. commercial satellite rocket is launched. A British communications satellite is onboard.
1990 - The
1996 –California Governor Pete Wilson signs an order that would halt state benefits to illegal immigrants.
1998 - "Titanic" becomes the first movie in North America to earn more than $600 million.
1999 - The final crew of the Russian space station Mir departs the station to return to Earth. Russia is forced to abandon Mir for financial reasons.
2001 - The
U.S. military announces that an Air Force RQ-1B "Predator" aircraft is lost over Iraq. It is reported that the unmanned aircraft "may have crashed or been shot down."
2001 - Work begins on the future site of a World War II memorial on the U.S. capital's historic national Mall. The site is between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial.

Word of the Day:
evanesce /ˌevəˈnes/ verb

Quote of the Day:
“Being president is like being a jackass in a hailstorm. There’s nothing to do but to stand there and take it.”
- Lyndon B. Johnson

Today is:
Thanks BA4! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 08-26-2017 at 10:15 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 09:43 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times

Having freedom, humor and people and pets I love.
Probably the same as most people's.
Benjamin Franklin.
I've been pretty ballsy most of my life, but there are times I took the path of least resistance.
Being an a-h
Travel
American roadtrips.
Forgiveness. I'd rather learn, never forget, and when possible hold accountable.
To spare people's feelings.
Subtle age changes of middle age.
Like, totally, you know? Just kidding. I don't know.
Cheeseburgers.
McDonalds, Burger King, etc.
Play guitar and sing well enough that people would want to listen.
I'd be the same age, but physically younger, if you know what I mean.
Overcoming difficulties and being better for it.
I appreciate having material security, but am not materialistic.
Being analytical.
I refuse to dwell on misery.
Being a regular guy.
Sanity! Srsly, being down to earth, smart, and with a sense of humor.
Kindness.
The hero sandwich. Can't think of another.
Tom Sawyer
Family members, including ancestors I've not met, but learned about in genealogy. It is amazing.

Thanks, BA4. These were hard.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Thanks, BA4. These were hard.
Sorry about that. These are the same questions that are posed to a different celebrity every month in Vanity Fair, and the celebrities' answers range from humorous and silly to profound. I thought it would be fun to find out how all my C-D friends would answer the same questions. But hey, if there are any questions you'd rather not answer for whatever reason, please feel free to skip them. I won't be offended.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:12 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Sorry about that. These are the same questions that are posed to a different celebrity every month in Vanity Fair, and the celebrities' answers range from humorous and silly to profound. I thought it would be fun to find out how all my C-D friends would answer the same questions. But hey, if there are any questions you'd rather not answer for whatever reason, please feel free to skip them. I won't be offended.
Too late for me. I've been a smart Alec where it suited me. But I know how you feel. Answers make the QotD.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times

Peacefulness for myself but also for this country at this time in history.

The world situation at this time getting worse.

Mahatma Gandhi

Not speaking out at times when it's needed.

Failure to reason and understand more in their lives and others.

Buying more computers than I need to have around

Making trips to see love ones

righteousness

I don't think there is an occasion to do this, but there are those moments ............. when you have to tell a little white lie.

I've not reached 6 ft yet............. a little ways to go

I'll be back in a little bit...........

Mrs Aks ............ who else She's been with me 48 years now.

When I'm relaxing in private and listening to background music

A better memory would help..............

I'd like to be more aggressive sometimes.....

My reaching retirement after 40 years and moving up to a job I enjoyed most of the time.

I don't think I have anything that I can't give up.

Never give up and stick to working out issues

The death of my daughter and then my sister a week later, they were too young.

honesty

honesty and understanding

understanding and friendship

Dracula

It would be several political people that I can’t mention here.

Today in History

1990 - The
2001 - The

Word of the Day:
evanesce /ˌevəˈnes/ verb

Quote of the Day:
- Lyndon B. Johnson

Today is:

Last edited by AksarbeN; 08-26-2017 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 10:23 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times

What is your idea of perfect happiness? Having a loving family.

What is your greatest fear? Them idiots in D.C.

What historical figure do you most identify with? Eros.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Procrastination.

What is the trait you most deplore in others? Being self centered.

What is your greatest extravagance? Eating out.

What is your favorite journey? Life.

On what occasion do you lie? I don't lie. Oh oh you caught me.

What do you dislike most about your appearance? My toenails, everything else is perfect.

What words or phrases do you most overuse? Hey good lookin'.

What or who is the greatest love of your life? Spouse.

When and where were you happiest? Marriage and when the kids were born.

Which talent would you most like to have? Playing the alto sax.

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? Toenails.

What do you consider your greatest achievement? Making it this far.

What is your most treasured possession? My family.

What is your most marked characteristic? The scar on my head.

What do you regard as the lowest depths of misery? Politics.

What is the quality you most like in a man? Honesty.

What is the quality you most like in a woman? Smile, sincerity, sense of humor.

What do you most value in your friends? Their friendship.

Who is your favorite hero of fiction? Batman.

Who is your favorite villain of fiction? The Joker.

Who are your heroes in real life? The people around me.

Thanks Bay, good job.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:49 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
Quote:
There are some very good articles in Vanity Fair that Mrs Aks shares with me to read at times.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There are some very good articles in Vanity Fair that Mrs Aks shares with me to read at times.
Agreed. It's one of the few magazines that make it worth flipping through hundreds of pages of glossy full-page ads to get to the actual articles.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:06 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Quote:
I will do my best to not disappoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics